Anonymous
Years ago

Kings Import Taylor

I feel bad for Taylor, he's a great player and showed he could be a force in this league. Young athlete guard who was killing for the 36ers in preseason, killed in college as well by looking at stats
15, 3 & 3 in the 7 preseason games with Adelaide
50% from the field
46% from 3pt
91% from FT
23 mins/g

He’s a great defender & game changer when he gets going...he helped win 3 games with Kings vs Brisbane, Phoenix & Melbourne with energy/defense and shot making other than that still has a been a good defender to let Casper rest

He’s gotten praise from Coach Wright, Will Weaver & Gleeson, I believe it’s the role he’s playing coming in for 2-3 minutes at a time and not really touching the ball can hurt any players rhythm especially a rookie trying figure out the league and team. Hopefully he can turn it around and get a better opportunity

Topic #46667 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's one of the worst imports in the league he's a SEABL level import.

Reply #784700 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's improved a lot the past couple of weeks. Really solid defender, but tries to do a little bit too much offensively at times.

Reply #784701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey also said griffin was unguardable, so take anything he says with a grain of salt lol

Taylor has had some moments, haven't seen much of him to be honest. But he got the win against the 6ers who screwed him over, so good for him.

Reply #784702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey also said griffin was unguardable, so take anything he says with a grain of salt lol

Taylor has had some moments, haven't seen much of him to be honest. But he got the win against the 6ers who screwed him over, so good for him.

Reply #784703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's one of the worst imports in the league he's a SEABL level import"

He's definitely not the worst import, you give any other import guard in the position he is minute wise and not really touching the ball ... and they’ll look bad too

Reply #784704 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Taylor's NBL stats this season:

14 games
5.4ppg, 0.9rpg, 0.7apg, 0.2spg
30.8% from the field
26.7% 3pt
88.5% FT
14.3 mins/g

Reply #784705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't found his defence to be particularly great TBH. He’s active and well suited to a full court trap, but gets absolutely murdered in the P’n’R. Just doesn’t have great position or instincts (but he tries hard). Apart from that, his shooting percentages are atrocious and can’t really finish through contact. But he seems to do what the Kings need from him. Start connecting from deep and he’s fine, I guess, until Lisch returns.

Reply #784708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac

You clearly didn't read what he said lol

Reply #784709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably not the worst but certainly in the mix amongst this bad bunch... Braun, Singler, Hunt, Hobson and the two already released, Benson and Preston.

Reply #784710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At 14 minutes a game in that stacked lineup, he's ok. Remember, he isn’t playing 14 straight minutes either, so in and out for moments, allows no player to get in a rhythm. He certainly isn’t a liability or anything.

Reply #784715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been an able replacement after a very few ordinary games, probably not an import in this league though unless he’s remarkably cheap.

Reply #784716 | Report this post

Only an injury replacement for Lisch or Moller.

Reply #784718 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

lol Deshon is that you?

You're a great defender who needs to drastically improve your handles. You cannot beat your man off the dribble and you often get it stolen when you drives into traffic. You barely score inside the paint and have only had one game where you shot the ball well.

You're not the worst import (that'd be Singler) but it's not like Weaver has a leash on his players. If you had offensive skill it'd have shown by now.

Pre-season has hardly ever been an indication of talent. Deng Deng had some big games for the Kings in the 2018 Blitz and he's not even in the NBL anymore.

Reply #784725 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Hard to rate him. I think he is better than what he has shown as he is a role player at kings. Put him on hawks and give him some minutes and then I'll judge

Reply #784727 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Is he actually a good, let alone great defender, or just very active on that end? I'm not convinced, despite the narrative.

His offense is terrible.

Reply #784729 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Krayola, Taylor is 100% worse than Singler, who at least solid positional defence and can hit an open shot.

Reply #784730 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Singler worse than Taylor? lol At least Singler can shoot.

E.J. Singler's stats this season:

20 games
7.4ppg, 3.6rpg, 1.8apg, 0.9spg
50.5% FG
40.4% 3pt
77.3% FT
20.8 mins/g

Reply #784742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many "experts" on here, I bet many have never played higher than juniors or domestic. As others have mentioned, he's done well with his opportunities and he's shown over the last couple of weeks he's better than given credit for. People forget that sport is often about the fit, system and opportunities. That's why the same player can look completely average in one line-up, and a super-star in another.
Playing bit minutes isn't easy for most players and I think he's doing well considering the situation.

Reply #784750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 point game an some knuckle comes out and trashes him. Pathetic. As above has said correctly "I bet many have never played higher than juniors or domestic."
They have the temerity to call someone out as bad. Pathetic.
Maybe if they got off their couches and did a bit more might help. At least try and play more the Z grade.The place is becoming a resort for the would've and could've nobodys.

Reply #784751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when has someone's actual ability hindered their knowledge? That’s some pretty big jumps in logic, right there. Plus a high percentage of posters have been quite constructive in their criticisms (which is actually pretty rare for Hoops). Is he still going to have a spot once Lisch, Moller, and Louzada returns? Even if he does, he’ll be buried on the bench. Not hating the player, that’s just the reality of his situation. Bogut goes down and Kings are almost certainly in the market for budget import 5 man as well.

Reply #784764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not comparing him to Brandon Ingram but it's situations like that, that will change the narrative ... 80% of the basketball world believed he was a bust with the Lakers, didn’t system and fit now he’s considered a top tier SF in the NBA
Like I said not comparing but system and fit plays a role how a player can look
Because coming into the season and signing again with the Kings we all thought it would a great pick considering his stats with 36ers and watching his college film last season
No excuses he has to play better

Reply #784765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Ingram is a good comparison - people saw his potential in his 2nd season, especially once Walton enabled him as a ball handler, especially in the PnR. His team was ordinary, but no one really questioned his potential. Everyone acknowledged that adding LeBron would affect his role, and even then he was still putting up 18 pts on 49% shooting. That’s why he was the centrepiece of the Davis trade, and only really his health related issues that cast doubt on his long term viability.

Import PGs in their first year out of college are always very hit-and-miss in the NBL, that’s why seasoned guys like Ware, Cotton, Machado, Roberson, Randle, etc. with previous overseas experience tend to be a safer bet but come at a price. Every now and again you get a guy like Trimble, it very rarely. Too many memories with the Kings of landing guys like Kendrick Perry, Charles Carmouch, Marcus Thornton that just struggle in their first pro gigs. Same looks true of Taylor. Obviously room for him to improve and find a place, but not looking great so far.

Reply #784768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain Trimble is that successful, yes he can score points but defensively poor and not that good running an offence.

Reply #784771 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Trimble wasn't fresh out of college like Taylor he had played a season in the G-League before coming to the NBL.

Reply #784782 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Taylor hs to play a role on our team as opposed to being a star import but that shooting % says it all. There is no way he is worse than Darrington Hobson.

Reply #784788 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hobson has only played 6 games admittedly he's crap but the sample size is too small to compare to say Taylor or Singler. I think also Hobson (ex-NBA) is more a lack of heart issue than lack of skill issue like Taylor.

For the fun of it Hobson's stats this season:

6 games
6.8ppg, 4.7apg, 4.0rpg, 1.3spg
32.0% FG
22.7% 3pt
57.1% FT
25.4 mins/g

Reply #784793 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

It's not only the shooting percentage but the eye test also leads to the thinking that he will struggle at nbl level. His misses from the perimeter are way off and his shot selection is questionable at best. He had one game where he dropped a few but his form doesn't look good to me.

Reply #784802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't he more defence player

Reply #784805 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification Will Weaver. It is now official:the cut-off for commenting on a player's ability is that you have to have played state league and/or internationally. You can watch the same tape as everyone else but your opinion won't count.

I would just love to hear Billy Preston's thoughts on Taylor's game. The insight would be incredible. He's got such a great basketball mind. I once hung 8 in a local Brazilian league, I'd know.

Remember too, it's all about fit and opportunity, that is, unless raw statistics can show you in a better light. In that case its not about opportunity at all, it's about the stats.

Reply #784812 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Look at Hobson's Assist to TO ratio at least Taylor can look after the ball run the offence somewhat. Not saying he is any good.

Reply #784828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor is definitely better than Hobson. Can at least play within the system and is unselfish. Hobson is really indicative of the Hawks season - such a missed opportunity because they aren't far off the mark.

Reply #784864 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Is he actually a good, let alone great defender, or just very active on that end? I'm not convinced, despite the narrative."

It's a good point, and I'd say he's an active defender more than a good defender. However he does one very valuable thing for us in that he pressures the ball and generates turnovers, which we are really poor at otherwise. Didi had the length to trouble guys and get in passing lanes, and we miss that more than his iffy jumper. Our inability to generate transition baskets has been a big reason for the slump IMO.

Taylor started his stint ultra cold from 3, but I'd much rather he throw them up than Xavier Cooks at this point.

Reply #784872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The much maligned Brendan Teys and Kevin White are shooting better than him, and are no worse defensively (and probably better in White's case). That’s a bit of an indictment right there.

Reply #784911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance is White a better defender than Taylor.

Reply #784916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a reason White has stuck around for almost a decade, and it isn't his offensive ability. Good in the full court trap, and good positional defender. There's a reason Joey has been trusting him lately.

Reply #785017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754