Well this sucks.

Reply #785565 | Report this post

serballin  
Years ago

It's utterly unprofessional to bring this in towards the end of the season

Reply #785567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea however in order for it to be successful more cameras at the games will need to be introduced.

Video replays with the technology the NBL has today are more often than not, useless.

Reply #785568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think I like this hub crap.
What was wrong with local commentators at the game? and the referees at the game doing their job live at the game?

Reply #785569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no way the NBL capture anywhere close to as many angles as the NBA so you'd expect this to cause some issues.

Reply #785570 | Report this post

B-ball  
Years ago

*Vaughn Mayberry has left the chat*

Reply #785573 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

What do you guys think of the NBL introducing a "play centre". It'd be way more cost effective just to run all games out of one stadium rather than teams having to fly everywhere.

Reply #785575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^that sounds like 2k to me

Reply #785577 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Even better, make the players and teams in 2K and let the computer simulate play so you don't have to pay for basketball players

Reply #785579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the guys criticising Vaughn now get 100s times worse the the Hub

Reply #785581 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As the commentators have said, putting the monitor on a swivel base would save about 30 seconds per review!
But then that would reduce the opportunity for chest-puffing and strutting as they "stride purposefully" around to the monitor.

I also don't like this supposed distinction regarding "judgement calls". Aren't they ALL judgement calls?

IMHO I think reviewing 3-point shots, long after the fact, is BS.
The ref makes a call, he signals 3 points (or not), end of story. It shouldn't be over-turnable just because its easy. If that's reviewable, then why not all the other foot calls.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually in favour of a (limited) "4th Ref" concept, or indeed anything that improves the game, but it has to be applied more evenly.

I'd actually also like the idea of coaches having a limited number of appeals. That would hopefully cause guys like Trev to either use their appeal or shut up, instead of waving their arms after every call.

Reply #785584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it. Should save time involved with review stoppages.

Reply #785590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For those suggesting swivels on the monitors. Do any of you know the bench set up? There is a meter gap between the LED video displays and the actual scorebench. Then add the monitor is 13" and is split into quarters. Good luck deciphering detail from that distance. Only place it current works is Cairns.

Reply #785604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where the hell do you even buy a 13" inch monitor in this day and age? May as well buy a second hand iPad, open the coverage on *insert any broadcaster here* app and hand it to the ref.

Reply #785616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(For those suggesting swivels on the monitors. Do any of you know the bench set up? There is a meter gap between the LED video displays and the actual scorebench. Then add the monitor is 13" and is split into quarters. Good luck deciphering detail from that distance. Only place it current works is Cairns.)

Remote handheld monitors just like an iPad, that's how I watch a lot of the games. It’s one thing not having commentators on the floor but now the referees are based out of Melbourne.
I don’t feel it’s a positive move for the NBL. What’s moving to the hub next?

Reply #785629 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Stupid idea, the only benefit to the NBL out of this is to sell more add space. Maybe the TV coverage will now have Eddie Crouch or Billy Mildenhall commenting on the decisions and how they are right or wrong.

I'm all for how they do it now, checking out of bounds and decisions with shooting from 3, that stuff is black and white, they are either over the line or not.

Rightly or wrongly let the refs call the games, yes they make mistakes, so do the players, possibly even more than the refs during the game, and no way should we get a fourth person having their say on a judgement call, ,if they make too many bad calls during a game, then review it after the game and sit them out for a game or two.

As for appeals by coaches, even more dumb than a review centre, just tech the coaches if they don't shut up, they soon shut up with a tech.

Reply #785649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Remote handheld monitors just like an iPad, that's how I watch a lot of the games."

Are you actually comparing how you as a fan views the game to what the refs need to promptly review replays?

"It's one thing not having commentators on the floor but now the referees are based out of Melbourne."

Oh dear.

Reply #785654 | Report this post

Simon Cowell  
Years ago

That's a no from me.

Reply #785666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^oh dear indeed.

(Are you actually comparing how you as a fan views the game to what the refs need to promptly review replays?)

I use my iPad to watch games anywhere anytime handheld and remotely, I don't need to watch a screen that is fixed in place to the bench. There are many brands of these handheld flatscreens besides iPad and are used in sport to review plays and work very well and save time.

("It's one thing not having commentators on the floor but now the referees are based out of Melbourne."

Oh dear)

So I take it your a fan of the Melbourne based hub commentators for every game and now for the referees as well?

Reply #785667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I use my iPad to watch games anywhere anytime handheld and remotel"

So do I, but I don't need to watch multiple angles, skip and reverse footage multiple times and have a quality vision and connection the whole time.

"So I take it your a fan of the Melbourne based hub commentators "

No I'm not but comparing the two is ridiculous, especially when you are missing the point of what this replay centre is all about.

Reply #785670 | Report this post

Jetty  
Years ago

Whilst we're at it, can we introduce the concept of fouls on ref's? If the ref gets five calls wrong, they're out the game. Sub in another ref.

Alternatively, ref gets fouled out and there is no replacement. 15 bad calls in a game and all bets are off. No blood no foul. That would be seeing incredible. At least the game would flow.

Reply #785678 | Report this post

Jetty  
Years ago

Whilst we're at it, can we introduce the concept of fouls on ref's? If the ref gets five calls wrong, they're out the game. Sub in another ref.

Alternatively, ref gets fouled out and there is no replacement. 15 bad calls in a game and all bets are off. No blood no foul. That would be seeing incredible. At least the game would flow.

Reply #785679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No blood no foul. At least the game would flow."

No it wouldn't.

Reply #785680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(So do I, but I don't need to watch multiple angles, skip and reverse footage multiple times and have a quality vision and connection the whole time. )

They use them in other sports , the technology is here now why not use it? And the handheld screens can do everything you mentioned and more, no brainier.

(No I'm not but comparing the two is ridiculous, especially when you are missing the point of what this replay centre is all about.)

If it's not about viewing the monitor and saving time What’s it about then?

Reply #785682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting the calls right maybe! Smh

Reply #785690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope they are not going to be relying on the NBN

Reply #785703 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For those suggesting swivels on the monitors. Do any of you know the bench set up? There is a meter gap between the LED video displays and the actual scorebench. Then add the monitor is 13" and is split into quarters. Good luck deciphering detail from that distance. Only place it current works is Cairns
And yet they managed just fine in Illawarra just now.

Reply #785721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its great and a step forward for the league, not understanding all the hate. Maybe not ideal time to be introduced but it adds to the overall quality of the league.

Reply #785746 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plot twist: Homicide is the video ref.

Reply #785774 | Report this post

^ piss poor attempt at humour there brother.

Reply #785777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz I'm sure then you realised the IRS operator had also switched ends of the bench from their previous normal position at the gong.

Reply #785782 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

well that worked well

I guess what they failed to mention is that the "Replay Centre"
is actually based in Mumbai, staffed by people called Sheila, who barely speak English and have no idea what basketball is.

Reply #787217 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754