Air Delay
Years ago

What EVERY Team Pays in their 'Cap' !

Ok guys, so has anyone 'done the numbers'?
Managing a roster is no straight forward task, but after the 'bench cap' rule, teams can basically pay their top 6 players whatever the hell they want...

But who exactly are those players for each club?
I think the only one I've got close to completely figured out is the Kings (not counting their additional imports of Didi & Taylor : )).

After pondering on these for a little, it has made me reflect on just how little dollars so many of our 'local NBL players are actuallyplaying for each season.

Here's what I got.

NZ (5)
Import Import Import
Abercrombie Webster + ?

Others - Delaney Loe Weeks

Perth (5)
Import Import Import
Martin Kay + ?

Others - Norton Stiendl Wagstaff

Adl (4)
Import Import Import (one of these is Moore)
DJ + ?

Others - Froling Teys

SEM (4)
Import Import Import
Creek + ?

Others - Gibson Adnam Pinaeu Stephens

UTD (5)
Import Import Import
Goulding McCarron

Others - Pledger Barlow Ili

Syd (6)
Import Import
Bogut Lisch Newley Cooks?

Others - Kickert Moller Bruce

Illawarra (4)
Import Import
Blanchfield Ogilvy + ? + ?

Others - let's be serious, no one on big dollars

Brisbane (5)
Import Import Import
Sobey Gliddon + ?

Cairns (4)
Import Import Import
Jawai + ? + ?

Others - Deng Noi

Topic #46715 | Report this topic

Air Delay  
Years ago

So serious curious Q...
Are only 16 of our local players on more than 150k a year?

Abercrombie
Martin
Kay
DJ
Creek
Goulding
McCarron
Bogut
Lisch
Newley
Cooks
Blanchfield
Ogilvy
Sobey
Gliddon
Jawai

???

Reply #786412 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Not really clear, but I think what you are asking is "who are the top 6, and bottom 5 for each team?"?

It's interesting for Perth, I've never been completely sure.
I always suspected that Norton was back-ended, but don't know for sure.
Similarly I assumed Martin & Wagstaff re-signed for significantly less.

Obviously there is a reason they signed guys like Vague, WLSLB, and now Travers for next year, as they would give them more space under the bench-cap.

Hunt was clearly not a highly paid import. And Plumlee only coming for 7 games (and being paid $12.5M by the NBA) might not actually be costing that much.

Reply #786415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like a fantasy game. Who cares really. WE will never know. Speculate all you want, but why waste the energy.

Reply #786417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A more relevant question is if you are right, then has the luxury tax been distributed.

Reply #786419 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Spot on D2.0!

It's not really clear.
But I thibk it does show that if you mail ypur top 5 paid players correctly, that the other 54 players in the league are all on (ball park) similar small dollars.

Reply #786420 | Report this post

Mr. Jones  
Years ago

What is everyone's obsession with what a bunch of basketball players are making? Head, meet concrete wall.

Reply #786421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is everyone's obsession with what a bunch of basketball players are making?

It's a matter of interest in the sport. Team building is just as much a part of basketball strategy as play design, rotations etc. You don't have to take an interest, but it is a significant part of professional sport, and a legitimate focus for fans.

Reply #786439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? Crap thread

Reply #786447 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My top end salary estimates are in this thread

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46325-4m-gap-between-kings-and-sixers-wright/#p774103

The bottom 5 players on each team must be on max combined $514,800.

That's players 6-11, or for teams with a Next Star 7-12.

So there must be loads of NBL players on well under 100k.

The conjecture is more about what the top and middle players are earning.

Reply #786449 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

It's interesting to try and ponder creative ways for David to beat Goliath & consider long term sustainability systems for smaller budget teams to compete with the top dogs.

So understanding the value of human resources/assets is paramount to this.

Reply #786450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players 7-11 make up 5 players, so as the OP said the top 6 can be paid whatever.

Reply #786451 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Correction of my above error:

The bottom 5 players on each team must be on max combined $514,800.

That's players 7-11, or for teams with a Next Star 8-12 since they have 12 contracted players.

Reply #786455 | Report this post

Salary threads will always be fruitless no one has proof of any salaries and the real figures might surprise us.

Reply #786456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's players 7-11, or for teams with a Next Star 8-12 since they have 12 contracted players."

Its 7-11 either way. The NS isn't counted towards either the salary or the "bottom 5" cap.

Reply #786462 | Report this post

Correct my anonymous friend.
People keep forgetting next stars aren't part of the budget.

Reply #786464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 to 11 can then earn $102g each, not bad for the bottom five and still fit in the cap.

Reply #786467 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm using the 8 to 12 in terms of player rotations, not contracted players.

Technically this is only true if the Next Star is in the top 7 of your rotation- like with Illawarra and NZ.

Essentially, if you have a Next Star then you have 12 contracted players on your roster. 11 are contracted to you.

If you're a team with a big budget- like Sydney, this gives you an opportunity to have a deeper roster and bury a barely used player on your bench (think Hunter, Walker- who wouldn't get time if the team was at full strength)

Reply #786473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair point LV. You're saying that those with a NS should have an easier time meeting the bottom 5 cap?

Reply #786477 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Absolutely.

Reply #786479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United have spent more than everyone else and you are still whining. Long was supposedly the best five man in the comp and Trimble was an mvp candidate last season and to top it off you bring in Prather.

Reply #786483 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

For SEM it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Madgen is in their top 6, he was quite a decent guard for a while and they may have tossed some coin to lure him back and just got unlucky on the quality that returned

For Brisbane, Hodgson would have to be in the top 6 just because of demand. He might not be anything spectacular or even in the running for the all NBL team but there is a lot of value on a good defensive/rebounding local. Almost every team wants one yet there are very few in the league. Bogut and Hodgson with Pinaeu and Kay at a stretch

Reply #786484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know what the individual breakdown is, but earlier in the season Joey Wright suggested Sydney was spending $4m more than the Sixers

Reply #786590 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Based on what I've heard, I think the bottom 5 structure can look something like this:

7: $155,000
8: $125,000
9: $90,000
10: $75,000
11: $70,000

Given how teams fill the end of the bench, I'd expect the 7th player to be paid well above $100k, and presume the 8th guy too.

Reply #786944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way that's right, seventh guy is around 80g to 95g max. Sixth man around 110g. Clubs don’t pay overs as much as everyone believes. Just like the afl, the top few get it all and the lower down you are the less you get.

Reply #786966 | Report this post

Simple maths $515K divided by 5 is $103K each.
Depending on team your 10/11 players will get $60-70K each.
7. $140K
8. $125K
9. $110K
10. $75K
11. 65K.

Reply #787016 | Report this post

They're estimates of course.
Many of these bench players top up their income with NZBL or NBL1 deals.

Reply #787017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't have to spend to that limit, just have five players below it. Yes it is simple maths, 5x65=325 allowing more for you to spend the top earners. Most clubs number 7 would be on max 80g. You work it out.

Reply #787032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754