Jack Toft
Years ago

Snakes v Sixers Jan 18

Match of the Day.

Third placed Taipans will be looking to hold onto that spot and do it in front of a packed house. If there has been one great thing about this season, it is that the snakes are playing to good crowds and the crowds have been putting Brisbane to shame.

The Sixers have a never say die attitude and like an SAS raid, will be looking to parachute in behind enemy lines, set their charges, then get out of there with the goods.

Both have a similar play style, but Cairns are not a high scoring team despite their playing style scoring 5 less points per game than the Teys led boys from the city of fine wine. Sixers are lot more Laissez-faire in defence giving up an average of 8 more points per game than their little orange friends. No Noi, but noi worries.

Sixers need a win, but I feel we will be more disappointed than a social justice warrior with nothing to complain about, or a sporting club not in a marginal electorate going for a grant.

Should be a fast paced game, but momentum is with Cairns and that Freight Train is hurtling down the tracks.

Cairns are so confident they are calling the subs themselves. Cairns by 2

Topic #46743 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez only 2? Taipans should win this by 8 or more. Just too good too well coached and they're playing for one another.

Reply #787230 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sixers are making there move. Fact randle Griffin excelling. DJ an Drmic very solid. Teys leading from the front... true snakes got wins but now expectations building and they can't handle. Sixers on other playing freely nothing to fear. No tensing. Cairns will slide - Sixers on the rise.
Joey boys love the grind. Tighter game is better for Sixers.
Sixers by one.

Reply #787231 | Report this post

Taipans by 6.

Reply #787262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, just said a whole bunch of positive dot points that aren't true lol

Anyways cairns should be too good at home, they Iove the grind lol

Reply #787265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be a big game for both teams, bring it ooooooonnnn

Reply #787276 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Basically the equation is if 36ers lose to Cairns OR Bullets, it's a double loss they can’t overcome in the short span. At least, highly unlikely to be able to.

So, if Adelaide beats Cairns and Brisbane: fourth spot is likely theirs. If Cairns wins, they’ve locked in top 4. If Cairns doesn’t but Brisbane beats Adelaide it’s a tough battle between them two but Cairns likely gets it.

Melbourne throws in a spanner if they keep falling - I just don’t back them to keep falling.

Reply #787284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide do play Cairns again (in Adelaide) in Round 19, so it is possible to undo the effect of a "Double loss" tonight but it would be a blow and the easiest path to the finals for the 36ers would be to beat Cairns twice and Brisbane once, still probably need another win or 2 after that against SEM and NZ (Perth in Perth is there as a last resort in the final round, bit of a Hail Mary though).

Reply #787294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are a lock for finals. Best import trio by some margin.

Reply #787295 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can't see us beating Cairns in Cairns tonight but at the same time I couldn't see us beating Melbourne last weekend either and we did comfortably too.

But I think the Taipans are made of sterner stuff than United and a win for them would go a long way towards locking in a Top 4 spot for them which would leave everyone else including United playing for the last playoff spot.

Cairns by 6

Reply #787296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever loses tonight will miss imo

Reply #787312 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

And now refs are calling foul on alley oop with no contact.

Reply #787377 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Early and already down nearly 20 points in a crucial game? No urgency at all. I feel for Sixers fans you really do deserve better.

Reply #787378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to back threes from DJ helps.

Reply #787379 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

13-2 run for ADL.

Reply #787380 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Are we the worst team at closing out the end of quarters?

Reply #787382 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Entire bench combining for 3/4/0/0/1 on 1/9 shooting at almost half time

Reply #787384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone other than Randle and Johnson need to show up. Griffin has been horrendous so far.

Reply #787388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary been good so far

Reply #787390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers are hopeless

Reply #787391 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Again, sre we the worst team at closing out the end of quarters?

Reply #787393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry putting on another hilarious performance...

Reply #787394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, Adelaide pretenders, Johnson has been outstanding for them though.

Loving Gaze and Screen and who ever is calling, this is how basketball should be called, no yelling or talking mates up.

Reply #787396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairs fair: Screen has got better.

Reply #787397 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

NBL refereeing at its finest on display to end the quarter there, that was possibly the most obvious charge call I've ever seen on Kenny but not called and the lead goes from 11 to 14 and game over.

Froling had a horrible end to that 3rd quarter though, jacking up Ill advised threes and then giving up open layups in transition, his head does not seem to be in the right place at all this season.

Cairns have showed they are clearly the better team though tonight and deserve to be in the position they are in. Who would have thought they could be a potential championship threat at the start of the season? Significant credit due to Kelly and co.

Reply #787399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling flopped, great no call.

Reply #787400 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Even if Froling flopped, he had position and Kenny clearly makes contact and clears space with the off arm. Obvious offensive foul call, and it was in the open too, no reason for the refs not to see it. Anyway, inconsequential considering the margin now.

Reply #787401 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I really like this commentary team. Possibly best combo this season.

Come at me.

Reply #787402 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I have always enjoyed Gaze's perspective on the game and commentary. He just has a way with words that seems to make things more entertaining.

Reply #787404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Seb Costello is atrocious. Has no idea what he's talking about 90% of the time. Just a rubbish play by play caller.

Reply #787405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CT 100%, commentary was great, even Seb. Gaze always reasonably good and jenni Screen was great. Loved it nbl, make use of them as much as possible.

Reply #787407 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Costello mistaking the scorebench buzzer for the game clock buzzer at the end of the game was peak hub.

Reply #787411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Griffin was unguardable

Reply #787413 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Jenni and drew work really well together.

And neither of them are Shane Heal which is good. Shane Heal would likely still be talking about Jason fucking Cadee.

Reply #787414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson must be very disappointed with his team, Randle was Randle but the balance should hang there heads and return there pay packets. Some of there players are the most overrated there is and all should be cleaned out. Disgraceful.

Reply #787415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Heal would be telling us how good Froling and McVeigh were during the game, I'm glad he wasn’t.

Well done Andrew and Jenni.

Reply #787416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Middle of the pack Sixers strike again. Never made the adjustments they needed too. Outside the 4 is what happens

Reply #787418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blow it up

Reply #787419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 on 5 and still lose. Crazy!

Reply #787420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenni Screen is painful to listen to...not a fan at all.

If all the Sixers besides Randle and DJ were to return their pay packets I doubt that equate to much money. Yes that is a dig at Grant Kelley.

Reply #787422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

108 seems like a lot of points to concede

Reply #787423 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

That's a team right there. Big 3 excellent but good contributions from plenty of others.
Kelly becoming a better leader and using players much more effectively.
Fun to watch, might surprise

Reply #787424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth could be nervous about facing Cairns in the playoffs

Reply #787425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys, Drmic and Griffin terrible tonight. 2 or 3 good games in a season doesn't cut it..

Reply #787426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns will face Sydney imo, Perth will be minor premiers. Jenni Screen talks sense, her voice is fine, better than all those male screamers.

If you believe that most those Adelaide players earn nothing, I can sell you the harbour bridge, Drimic was boasting when he came back from college he was on 125g. The unguardable Griffin would be on reasonable coin as well. They just don't show any heart.

Reply #787428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ this man never lied

Reply #787429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is a great commentator, surprising how absolutely bad a coach he was. Demopoulos and Marty Clarke are the only other 2 that spring to mind as being worse.

Reply #787430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If I told you the first digit of Griffin's salary, you wouldn't bet your house on guessing the number of digits after.

What are Dillon and White in the team for? I can appreciate the defensive team guy, but can a team really carry so many in that mould? Teys is already starting. If Drmic doesn't fire, who besides DJ and Randle are going to light it up? Was Griffin injured? 3/0/0!

Froling needs to get out of Adelaide or away from Joey or dig deeper.

Reply #787432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% agree Isaac. The team is too unbalanced, and if we still had Taylor without getting Randle we would be below Illawarra right now. Missing Sobey.

Reply #787433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta laugh at Joey and that side. Sorry you, no I'm not atually some idiot signed Joey for how many years and there's still 2? season to go.
Sad Sixers.

Reply #787436 | Report this post

73 points from Taipans imports.
21 from Adelaide's.

Reply #787445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone actually thought the 36ers we're even remotely playoff bound, your were always going to be wrong.

Middle of the pack champions.

Reply #787449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers I am reliably informed have the 3rd or 4th highest payroll in the NBL. Just as they did last year and the year before that. The issue is not a lack of payroll, even though that narrative has been fostered. Your comment that Kelley and the 36ers organizations don't pay enough is absolute garbage and shows that you are remarkably ill-informed.

Reply #787453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is not player investment dollars, but recruitment choices. The 36ers need to improve how they recruit and focus on the culture and commitment once players join the Club.

Reply #787456 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick Marvin as an external consultant hasn't worked and now JvG has been brought in who only knows how to spend money. A lot of pain still to come for the club. Apart from a venue change the new ownership hasn't progressed at all.

Reply #787457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GK wanted it known griffin was on $400k if so that part of the issue.

Reply #787458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Club was going out of business until the new owners stepped in. They won the traditional custodians of the lands on minor premiership in their first year and lost a national championship narrowly in the 2nd. The 3rd year finals missed on percentage. Mot a bad record IMHO.

Reply #787459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*sorry above post should read:

The Club was going out of business until the new owners stepped in. They won the minor premiership in their first year and lost a national championship narrowly in the 2nd. The 3rd year finals missed on percentage. Not a bad record IMHO.

Reply #787460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were does DJ finish his career?

Reply #787461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the 36ers are still
Going out of business

Reply #787469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... "still going out of business" ... Oh Really? Try telling that to the 9k people who came last week or the 7.5k who have attended every week. The move to AEC has been a spectacular success. Which irritates some people obviously ...

Reply #787478 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers are doneski

Reply #787480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is trying to get out. Free tickets don't pay the bills

Reply #787481 | Report this post

Sixers have bought this is on themselves.
Mediocre talent and medoicre coach.

Reply #787487 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Joey is a fine coach, he knocks people the wrong way but he does achieve a lot with at times a less than competitive squad. Some players will be pissed at him pushing them.

A lot of the hate I think come from Perth fans - content with the floginess of their coach but any other coach does similar and they go to town on it. It's pathetic.

Reply #787492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The we don't spend money excuses is bull shit though. What I don’t understand is how they can be great one week and absolute shit the next. They can flog Perth then get walloped by lesser teams.

Reply #787510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see some people have a very different definition of success. For some it is on-court results, for others it is the draw of LaMelo Ball, who did not even play, and the turnstile clocking over.

Reply #787521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GK bought the tight arse reputation upon himself when he screwed over Mitch Creek for the sake of trying to get a small amount of compensation. We have lost Creek and Sobey consecutive seasons replacing them with Kevin White and Jack McVeigh. If they gave Griffin 400k then they have themselves to blame because he is average at best.

Reply #787550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Creek issue has been done to death. No Club would accept what was being put up by Mitch and his agent. It was wrong and that was upheld legally. It was a point of principle, i.e. a line in the sand where the Club said we won't cop you walking out a contract because it suits you. That's business 101 guys.

Re Sobey, 36ers offered him more than he ultimately received from Brisbane.

Reply #787582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't actually believe Griffin is on that money, but if it’s even half that, they still have themselves to blame. Poor recruiting, and even poorer job of trying to get the roster to click. Randle is an absolute cancer for the other guys, offensively.

Reply #787584 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think Griffin would even be on half that either new import to the league who bounced around on three teams last season, yeah nah. However it's a rumour that is being spread that Griffin is supposedly on big money which is no doubt being used to make the Sixers owner look even worse than he is.

My money would be that rumour is coming from someone not happy about the success of the move to AEC. If the Sixers are even paying Griffin $200k they need their head read.

Reply #787588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers owner doesn't control recruitment decisions, Joey does. So please explain -- why is it on the owner's head if he has backed the Coach's recruitment of Griffin?

Reply #787592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if Joey is the recruitment guy, then he has to be held accountable to this debacle.

Reply #787596 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sixers owner doesn't control recruitment decisions, Joey does. So please explain -- why is it on the owner's head if he has backed the Coach's recruitment of Griffin?

Yeah I bet it was Joey that wanted Randle to come back.

Piss off, troll.

Reply #787598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive hard so many bits and pieces about Joey and Randle's relationship. What is the actual deal?? If they hate each other, then why have they been reunited? Have they both just tried to suck it up for the sake of income? Like seriously, what happened between them?

Reply #787599 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Randle being a hero ball and a bit of a sook v Joey who will say how it is and push players is bound to cause friction.

It's been said, even by Creek, that if a player has a thick skin, Joey will push them and make them better. He has very good off court relationships with players.

Tbh the NBA team should have paid Adelaide should Adelaide have been legally entitled. Euro and other teams would do it, why should Adelaide bendover for everyone? Where Adelaide Is rumoured to have screwed up with Creek is to have offered an extension late and lowballed him. If that is right, then Adelaide rightly gets criticised for incompetence.

Reply #787601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 36ers had legally been entitled to that money, then they would've been paid. So do the math.

Reply #787603 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's not how things work. That’s an overly-simplistic approach to the point of being blatantly wrong.

If you are entitled to something legally, then you have to bring lawyers into it: that’s got a cost associated, then you have to aim to settle it - if the other side doesn’t come to the party you may need to bring Courts into it which has further costs. At that point it’s a difference between saying "hey I’m legally entitled to this" and the other side going “if we say no, the cost for them to pursue this is more than the amount they will gain so we will force them to back down”.

Conversely, the NBA team says “they’re entitled but the whole thing isn’t worth it so we won’t pursue the player”, which I gather is what happened

Reply #787609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if the amount was so small that the fight for it outweighs the initial number, then the 6ers should've realised this very early on and eaten humble pie, and most likely have been the front runner for Creek now.

Add creek into the current team and they’d be good. Instead they are made up of 'bit pieces’. Shambles at the top to bottom at that club.

Reply #787614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed jenni and drewy work well together. Jenni has really improved slowed down from her early work where she started like the energiser bunny on crack. Most of the commentators have been good this season.

Reply #787615 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The small club vs the big NBA club and your argument is let them trample over the small club.

Right. Ok.

Still doesn't change that your argument of "if they were entitled they would have got it" is blatantly wrong.

Reply #787618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek and the 36ers went to court and the judge found Creek didn't have a contract. As he didn’t have a contract there was no payment due to the 36ers by anyone. Those are the facts.

You get bonus points if you have been told that the judge asked the 36ers if Creek had a contract why hadn’t they been paying him his wage.

Griffin is not on 400k. More nonsense. You aren’t that athletic and tall and not in NBA or Euro for a reason.

Joey didn’t want Randle for good reason.

Reply #787620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, read the above. I was aware the case did indeed go to court, and never got off the ground. Baseless, hence if they had been entitled, they would've been paid. A judge made the call based on facts.

Reply #787622 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No, an injunction was lodged that's *not* a decision about whether or not a person is entitled as per a contract or whether a contract is valid.

A settlement or not pursuing the matter further, again, isn’t indicative of whether or not one is entitled or have a valid contract either.

Reply #787623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET

Confident that it went to court

36ers were advised by multiple people and organisations to drop it as they had no case.

Reply #787624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm not arguing against those two points, I’m arguing against:

"Creek and the 36ers went to court and the judge found Creek didn't have a contract"

Judge makes a finding in a matter that didn’t proceed? An injunction isn’t to be confused with the judge making a finding of fact of law at the conclusion of a matter.
An injunction is a procedural aspect that has specific criteria to avoid a party being damaged while a matter proceeds. Again, not to be confused with a case finding by a judge. Relevant to the point: doesn’t determine whether a contract exists or whether the term entitles any party to any such thing.

”If the 36ers had legally been entitled to that money, then they would've been paid.“

If x deserves y, x would have received y is *never* a gauge to legal entitlement, to the extent that the justice system doesn’t decide that - which we know it didn’t because it never got that far to actually being a concluded trial.

Reply #787627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anyways, that whole saga was a huge step backwards for the 36ers. Aussie talent doesn't come along at their peak all that often. Now they’re having to deal with the aftermath. A roster full of middle of the pack guys that try hard in spurts but have no real identity as a talented team to be wary of.

Reply #787629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So do you accept that it went to court and after a Judge spoke the 36ers didn't proceed as they had no winnable case against Creek?

Reply #787630 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"So do you accept that it went to court"
When was this denied?

“and after a Judge spoke the 36ers didn't proceed as they had no winnable case against Creek?”

I'm saying:
> Judge didn’t make findings in relation to entitlement/contract validity
> Judge didn’t find facts in relation to entitlement/contract validity

Both of those claims were made in previous posts, both can’t have been accurate if the matter didn’t proceed to a conclusion.

Whether the 36ers did not proceed due to legal advice is only something someone tied closely with the 36ers would know. Even then, whatever impression a Judge could have provided would have likely been largely irrelevant, these things almost always go to settlement regardless of entitlement.

I’ve been apart of very few matters that actually proceed to trial beyond the basic posturing that you seem to claim made important determinations

Reply #787632 | Report this post

Creek is old news for Adelaide isn't he.

Reply #787667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

However it's a rumour that is being spread that Griffin is supposedly on big money which is no doubt being used to make the Sixers owner look even worse than he is.
I think the rumour comes more from the ownership direction though.

If the Sixers are even paying Griffin $200k they need their head read.
Two heads read then?

Reply #787707 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"The we don't spend money excuses is bull shit though."

Not bull shit. It is called fact. We can't compete financially so we just have to accept that.

"What I don't understand is how they can be great one week and absolute shit the next. They can flog Perth then get walloped by lesser teams."

That is called professional sports. Every other team in the league has suffered the same issue including the Kings.

Reply #787724 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Whether Joey and Randle like each other - on this I caint say very much.
The only thing I really know for sure, is Joey said to the owner
(over a coffee in Utah) "Did you know Jerome Randle was available"
'So, in every individual the two trends, one toward personal happiness and the other toward unity with the rest of humanity, must contend with each other'
Freud.

Reply #787726 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"The we don't spend money excuses is bull shit though."

Not bull shit. It is called fact. We can't compete financially so we just have to accept that.
Though the owner spending the money literally disputes it.

Reply #787733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whether Joey and Randle like each other - on this I caint say very much.
The only thing I really know for sure, is Joey said to the owner
(over a coffee in Utah) "Did you know Jerome Randle was available"
'So, in every individual the two trends, one toward personal happiness and the other toward unity with the rest of humanity, must contend with each other'
Freud."

What was in this coffee????

Reply #787736 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Camel's special blend.

Reply #787740 | Report this post

Hopscotch 50  
Years ago

Joey has had been given every chance under the sun - time to go separate ways and bring a coach back to our team that relates to people. Anyone can see from body language of DJ and White and others that they have no respect for Joey. DJ much more important to future of 6ers that Joey.

Reply #787741 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think that's just DJ generally

Reply #787745 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

White is lucky to be in the NBL at all

DJ's body language has always been perplexing

Joey has produced more legit NBL players and stars than any other current NBL coach.

Most conceded pre-season that the 36ers will miss finals and here they are fighting for the final spot against superior rosters.

Reply #787771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's he produced!? He’s allowed a bunch of guard types to just have free run to shoot. Hardly much effort in that.

Just because people conceded early on the team wasn’t up to it, doesn’t make it right. Whoever created this roster, needs to be held accountable.

No fan base should be expected to pay top dollar for tickets, but have to concede they won’t be making the playoffs before the first game.

They don’t deserve to be in the playoffs, they look the most unhappy of the teams fighting for the that spot.

Reply #787776 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just get a balanced roster for once.

If DJ is going to be relied on as our number 1 or 2 we need at least 3 starters that are above ave defenders.

Hopefully a PG that's played NBA more so for the defence.

Nate Robinson
Anthony Drimic
3 & D type import that can handle the ball.
Jack White
DJ

Griffin (think he'd be better with a high calibre pg)
McVeigh
Dillom
Kyei
Aquil from Melbourne.

Reply #787781 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Gibson
Creek
Sobey
Adnam
Cadee
Goulding
Drmic
Hodgson

Reply #787810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yolo, that's a massive stretch to say Joey produced this list of players lol

Reply #787818 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Some of them are a massive stretch, but Adnam makes them look conservative by comparison...

Reply #787820 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Joey has had a positive impact on everyone on that list, isn't that development?

Hodgson and Sobey were on the scrap heap and turned into national representatives by Joey

No one wanted Adnam, he now has a career

Creek went from being considered by many as under performing to the NBA under Joey

Reply #787824 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not a stretch at all Joey can take credit for developing Goulding & Gibson at Brisbane, Goulding, Gibson & Cadee at Gold Coast and Gibson, Cadee and then Creek, Sobey, Deng, Hodgson, Drmic even most of DJ at Adelaide.

That's why Joey is held in such high regard in the NBL.

Reply #787825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those that really know, GMs, players and coaches actually in the league, know Joey develops guys better than anyone. Facts are facts.

Reply #787826 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Throw in developing Anthony Petrie too at Gold Coast & Adelaide.

Reply #787830 | Report this post

Titan 34  
Years ago

Joey plays up every year that the list is no good - to make it look like what ever he achieves is against the odds. Wonder why he cant hold any of those guys he 'develops' - probably doesn't help when he assaults players in change rooms post game - worst coach in NBL by a mile

Reply #787832 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

^ that's slander and you would need to defend that in court

Reply #787834 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey plays up every year that the list is no good - to make it look like what ever he achieves is against the odds.

3 of our 5 new recruits this season were guys no other NBL team wanted (Kyei, Dillon, White).

Wonder why he cant hold any of those guys he 'develops' -

Because NBL players can only earn so much before retiring and the 36ers are a notoriously frugal team. They develop on Joey's watch and then go elsewhere for their big pay days. Sucks but understandable.

worst coach in NBL by a mile

Posts like this often made by anonymous numpties say much more about the level of basketball knowledge of the person making them than anything else.

Reply #787837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic has shown glimpses but still erratic in four seasons, if you call that development then fine. How's McVeigh development going, didn’t he say two years in nbl then nba, that’s hardly on track.
Sobey is certainly a good development by him but Creek was always going to be good.

Reply #787841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said McVeigh was going to the NBA???

Reply #787846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did in an interview when he signed, I remember it being portrayed as stepping stone to nba. Homicide also talked him up at every chance with Heal.
I believe that is correct and I might try to find the interview.

Reply #787855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcveigh has got no chance of playing NBA.

Reply #787857 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Even conceding that Joey developed or continued the development of the mentioned players.

In what aspects of the game did he develop them? Ill give my answer and wait to see if the Joey supporters disagree. He developed their offensive individual skill sets.

Are any of those mentioned substantially better defensive players or do they have far better basketball IQ's from being in his programs? Have the Adelaide teams defensive systems and/or the players ability to work within those systems shown any improvement over the years? I think the answer is quite obvious. Constant defensive breakdowns.

Joey's offensive sets have always centred around the ability of a few individuals to break down the opposition and this has led to huge differences between their best and worst.

In his one championship with the stacked Bullets he didn't need to do a lot of tinkering because he had Stephen Black running the show, prime Ebe scoring at will or breaking down the D and two of the best ever NBL defenders in Bradtke and Sammy Mac anchoring the D. None of whom were developed by Joey.

Reply #787859 | Report this post

Pug 64  
Years ago

Why did Joey get rid of a cheap player like Shaun Bruce? Seems to have developed considerably since leaving Joeys 'tuition'

Reply #787880 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

Good call Pug - Majok Deng also been great in cairns this year after ordinary year with Joey last year!

and good to see playing group our flighting in streets on way home from night Club in wee hours of sunday morning after big loss - does not seem to much leadership with this group at moment.

Reply #787954 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

and good to see playing group our flighting in streets on way home from night Club in wee hours of sunday morning after big loss - does not seem to much leadership with this group at moment.

Had nothing to do with the Adelaide players, they were being harassed by a couple of drunken local louts, who have been arrested and will face court next month. The Adelaide players did nothing wrong. Be fair, this is on our locals, not your guys.

Please add the obligatory "allegedly" comments in there somewhere, it's a police / court matter.

Reply #787956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Unbelievable! Hope the court makes an example of them.

Reply #787958 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

players being out on the town post 3am after a terrible loss is a terrible look so matter what happens

Reply #787962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are the Adelaide 'awake for' 36hrs

Reply #787964 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Being out at 3am and claiming "fighting in the streets" are two very different things!

Reply #787965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not professional to be out at 3.0am in season win or lose. If you were in a afl club there would be ramifications. I don’t know if there are or not problems at Adelaide but this is very unprofessional if it’s true.

Reply #787981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is there even to do in cairns after 2am!? These guys have plenty of down time, probably not the best look when your are at least attempting to look like your fighting for a playoff spot.

Reply #787985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't buy the faux outrage about guys being out late, it happens all the time. It takes ages to wind down to from playing, hence why this type of activity occurs. Just need to be smart about it and not get caught in a fracas, which happened here. Finger should be pointed at drunken louts, not the players if they are the victims. The players are adults and allowed to be out.

AFL? Those dudes are out all the time.

Reply #787992 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What is the official team policy around going out on the road?

If it allows it is there a problem?

Of course one would imagine it wouldn't include drunken anti-social behaviour, but going out doesn't seem that bad.

The after a loff thing is just BS, do you guys expect them to go straight back to the hotel and watch Air Jordan videos ?

Reply #787994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL/Aust Cricket Team, gawsh even olympians in sydney during the games were everywhere till early hours of the morning AFTER their events.

You do realise that these people are human beings, not robots, don't you?

Reply #787995 | Report this post

Go Joey Go  
Years ago

Even acknowledging his 'strengths', Joey's time at Adelaide has to be running out.

Seven years with no championship has to catch up with any coach doesn't it?

It's not like he won 3 titles before things went south, he's won nothing with the Sixers.

Great salesman. Sadly not the man to coach the Sixers to a championship.

Time to go Joe...

Reply #787999 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It would be interesting to see the stats for longest stint in the NBL as a head coach without a title and compare it to Joey's current reign.

Reply #788000 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Longest stint in the NBL as a head coach without a title at one club.*

Reply #788002 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Look, this is behind a paywall so I'm not going to post the whole damn thing, but Anon 992 has it right - even with what I do it takes me a while to wind down after a game:

Adelaide's chief executive Ben Kavenagh and general manager Jeff Van Gronigen both confirmed the incident and said none of the players were physically injured.

"We are aware that an incident occurred, our players do have behaviours and standards that we expect and none of which were breached," Mr Kavenagh said.

“As people appear to have been arrested we can’t comment further as the matter is in police hands.”

Mr Van Gronigen said the club did not have a curfew in place for players that night.

“They do have a curfew at certain times of the week to do with a strategic period (leading up to games),” he said.

“We have an expected level of behaviour at all times and we are very confident that has not been breached by our players.”

Reply #788005 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No breach of conduct.

Nothing to see...move along.

Reply #788006 | Report this post

Hogwash 75  
Years ago

Why is the media saying no one was hurt in the altercation when Mudronja was supposedly knocked out and sustained a concussion?

Reply #788007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DP's don't count?

Reply #788008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Longest stint in the NBL as a head coach without a title at one club.*"

Joey has a title at one club so it can't be him

Reply #788011 | Report this post

He doesn't have a title at Adelaide.
Please read my brothers post properly.

Reply #788014 | Report this post

Pug 64  
Years ago

Surely Mudronja not knocked out as was training already this week. Legal minefield for club if that is true.

Reply #788033 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was the first story on sevennews, who were surprised Joey was backing the players being out at 3am. "They'll be playing (not suspended) and I hope I will be coaching." he said.
When asked why he didn't play Griffin all that much in Cairns, Joey said -
"He wasn't playing with energy."
'Yet, he had the energy to be out til 3am.' the reporter said.

Reply #788053 | Report this post

Classy

Reply #788058 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"He wasn't playing with energy."
"Yet, he had the energy to be out til 3am." the reporter said.

Haha that sass by the reporter.

This is a classic "you didn't do anything wrong, but you could have made a better decision" Nothing more.

Does it reflect badly on a team that just got smacked? Perhaps. Do players have to live under a curfew regime for the entire season? Probably not.

Reply #788065 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Didn't Taylor Walker once get suspended for drinking a beer at the footy when he was in the crowd watching?

Reply #788066 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It went for a coupla minutes being the lead story on seventvnews.
I disremember all that was said, training at Port Adelaide
(sometimes they're training at Woodville when tvnews cross)
No Moore for a while longer..
Joey said, make of it what you will, or something like that, when replying to the sassy reporter about the energy to be out til 3

Reply #788067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore won't be back

Reply #788071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want to be a player on the Sixers. You'd have no idea from week to week whether youre going to play 20mins, 5mins, or not get on at all.
All of which the above has happened to multiple players, if not the majority. This 'keeping them on their toes' bullshit is exactly that.

Reply #788083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As suggested Moore is done for the season.

More PR spin as to why he can't play

Reply #788174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's the real reason?

Reply #788180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754