isaiah
Years ago

Year 12 Basketball

I am currently in yr 12 and am looking to take my game to the next level ASAP!

I have an American citizenship so could potentially move there for my last year of high school. I am wondering what the best pathway would be for me; CEBL, AIS, Amerian Highschool, AUSA etc. I am happy to drop out of school now to focus on basketball, however, I would would still like to acquire some qualifications and options if I end up not pursuing basketball as a career.

I am going to the States shortly and will look at some high schools and talk to some coaches over there. I would love to know what you think I should do, any input would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Topic #46792 | Report this topic

Air Delay  
Years ago

Considered school in Wollongong? Approaching the Hawks for a train on spot? Youth League, State League &/or NBL? Depends what your current level of skill is & history/resume with bball.

Before ball, think school : )

Reply #789060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always pick school before ball kid. I suggest staying in school here and playing in youth league 1s or somethin of that level and try go through the ABL ranks

Reply #789064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're taking the piss, if you haven't sorted a plan out by now you've got no idea. Why not decide to become a concert pianist.

Reply #789073 | Report this post

isaiah  
Years ago

I've been playing basketball my whole life, and your right, lately I have had no idea, no idea if I want to miss out on my social life to train, no idea if it was worth playing if I was one day going to lose my passion and interest in it, no idea If making it pro was still my dream. But lately, I've realised that I love the game and I will always enjoy playing. Whatever it is I decide to do, I will keep playing the game I love and will strive to be the best I can. I can understand that you don't think I'm being realistic but at the moment I am just looking at options and your judgment will do nothing but motivate me to find exactly what path I want to take.

You do not know me and you do not know what I am capable of,

Reply #789075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dozens of kids that have prepared, been mentored and done their homework, might end up in division 1 schools come back every year and just a couple might make it as dp players on an nbl squad. Yet you've gone your whole life and just decided, hang on, I want to be a professional basketball player. Obviously haven't stood out to make a rep team or any coach has said to you, thought about going to America and here's what you have to do study wise etc. Like I said, go study the piano, better chance of having a career there. Go on, drop out of school and make a YouTube highlight real and north Carolina will give you a scholarship. Ps, north Carolina have a really good basketball program.

Reply #789079 | Report this post

isaiah  
Years ago

well, I have played rep for years, selected at state trials, state for school basketball, selected to for a tour team to America. My dad played college ball in the states and I know many people who have played NBL and friends my age on the development team who would disagree that I should play the piano or start a youtube channel. I have contacts to play for in SBL and other development leagues and contacts with high schools in the states. I wasn't asking if I could make it, I was looking at alternative options which I have not thought of in case someone had something which interested me, unfortunately playing the piano doesn't :(

Reply #789082 | Report this post

If you have the opportunity to go the US and finish HS there, that could be your best option. You'll be getting more exposure and should get more/better college offers. It'll be harder promoting your brand here in Aus if college is what you're after.

If the NBL is more your goal then for all means stay here and work on your game. If basketball is what your good at then put all of your energy into that and try not to let outside noise distract you.

Good luck.

Reply #789094 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Just a couple of my thoughts:

1. If you have ANY aspirations to play at the College level do not drop out of school

2. If anyone asks you to pay them to get you placed in a college or High School, turn and walk away quickly. There are numerous opportunities in the US and plenty of people trying to make a dollar by "helping"

3. I've coached several kids that ventured to the US to do a year of High School ball and for most it's been a positive experience. One went on to a full ride Div 1 scholarship from being a guy who never came close to making a state team here. Right place right time.

4. If you want serious advice don't ask on here :)

Reply #789100 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Jeez mate, you have left it pretty late. What is your GPA like? Have you sat your SAT's? From a recruitment point of view, high schools appear to be less and less relevant to college scouts. It is mostly all done at the big AAU tournaments between April - July.

If college basketball is your go as you have alluded to above ("I would would still like to acquire some qualifications"), and assuming that your grades and your game are in order, then given your passports status I would advise to go over to the US and get yourself on a travel team ASAP.

Reply #789101 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

"You do not know me and you do not know what I am capable of"

This is champagne comedy. Please tell me this is satire. If you're that age and actually have any chance of making it, you'll have plenty of options. You wouldn't need to post on a forum to figure out what to do.

Reply #789119 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

This fool is Hoggy Time v2

Reply #789177 | Report this post

isaiah  
Years ago

X- yeah hahah that did sound like a joke. I have options but like I said I have been unsure of what exactly I actually want to do. I signed up to this just looking for any options I haven't considered. My initial comments didn't exactly get across what I was trying to ask and made it seem like I was looking for a way to "make it pro" when really Im just trying to figure out what I want to do after school...my bad

Reply #789206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia needs a good high school basketball program in place like the nbl1

Go to the USA mate more opportunities to get noticed in America and in Australia that way.

Reply #794155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Why?

Reply #794202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So kids can progress all the way to the nba why else?

Reply #794215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, why does Australia need a great high school program?

Reply #794254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Government funding, keep kids in school longer, more kids will play if they can get out of school work so more players, lazy parents won't need to put in much effort,
Create a basketball buzz in schools , almost every school in Australia has a basketball court indoor and outdoor (hardly being used for basketball), do you want me to keep going?

Reply #794363 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Anon 363. Good reasons you offer. But the peak competition for juniors needs to be centred around regional clubs. As long as the schools don't demand first preference for talent over regional clubs, may they prosper.

Reply #794369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My 24 year old son watched lamelo play and now he and his friends want to play high school basketball.

Reply #794370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:06 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754