Anonymous
Years ago

Are NBL contracts worth anything?

Hearing all of these rumours about Joey potentially not coaching next season, I can't help but wonder if the contracts they sign are worth the paper that they are written on? You’d assume that Joey wouldn’t want to leave financial security of 2 remaining years for free!? Why should he? If someone has promised to pay you, shouldn’t they have to pay you in full, unless you agree to a lesser amount?

What options do teams have to try and not pay?

Topic #46859 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They met halfway. Pretty common for that sort of thing to happen in this situation. Take something rather than sit out legal action.

Reply #791682 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is what happened last time Joey had two years left on a contract which was broken:

Eddy Groves ordered to pay ex-Bullets coach Joey Wright $236,000 in damages

Mark Oberhardt, Courier Mail

June 1, 2011 11:28am

FORMER Brisbane Bullets owner Eddie Groves has been ordered to pay the club's former coach more than $236,000 in damages.

Earlier this year in the Supreme Court civil trial in Brisbane, Mr Wright sued Mr Groves for first breach of contract.

Mr Wright alleged after his sacking in March 2008, he lost earnings and other entitlements such as bonus payments, and car leases for the remaining two years of his contract.

Reply #791691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey knows what he is doing right now lol he is saying all the right things publicly, and his contract does indeed give him the box seat on this situation. Pay the man out, and move on. The management can't afford another ugly off court situation. Adelaide fans are a fickle bunch.

Reply #791692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The usual attitude to a contract is like Isaac said. Here's some of your contract take it or try suing us. Wright would have got some money from the Bullets but not the full contact payout.

Reply #791693 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There would be (or should be) a clause in there about early termination based on success/failure. Devil is in the fine print.

I would be surprised if his contract wasn't written with KPIs in them. Here's your minimum salary, here's $X bonus for making the finals, here's $Y bonus for making the GF, here's $Z bonus for a Championship. Then, the contract term is X years, either party has the right to exit if (these conditions) aren't met, cost of exit is X for the club, Y for the coach

Reply #791702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally understand the wanting to skip the legal side of things, but why would Adelaide even have a legal option? Surely this is also covered under Australian workplace legislation? If not, why? I thought employment was more set in stone in Australia, and skewed slightly to the employee?

Reply #791711 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's already sorted.

Reply #791725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you mean, both parties are in agreeance on a separation? I hope that's the case.

Reply #791733 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Once the season end I'm betting we will see mutually agreed departure, Joey probably gets paid 1 of his 2 years or something like that.

Reply #791734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not already agreed. Joey said something along the lines of, I’ll coach as long as they’ll have me. That usually means nothing is sorted or agreed too.

Reply #791818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above anon, cmon, don't be naive. You think Joey would spill the beans to the media? They’ll try and get to the off-season, out of the spotlight, and quietly report he has departed.

Reply #791827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope so.

Reply #791830 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

36ers make him an offer and they all try and negotiate to a fair settlement for both parties.

If a fair settlement can't be agree they Sack Joey and they end up in Meditation or court which generally isn't ideal.

You might find if Joey can't get another NBL head coaching gig by the start of the next season he might receive a further payment as well.

The above has become common with coaches in NRL/AFL if sacked mid contract...stating they'll tale a hair cut on the total payout initially but will get a second payment in the event they cannot obtain another full time coaching gig by X date

Reply #791944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality...As per usual we're all dumber for reading what you wrote.

Reply #791957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Joey risks his position being made redundant, getting sfa, and the Sixers bring in a 'Director of Basketball Operations'.

Reply #791962 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I can't see that being a 'move' for 36ers.

He's contracted - to a term contract. TBH i have no clue how NZ did the whole thing.

The 'NZ way' is when someone has a permanent position and instead of having to go through the procedures to remove someone (ie. warnings, finding they are breaching their contract), they make their position non-existent.

I don't see how pulling that would absolve 36ers obligations to Joey. Nevertheless, in a redundancy you're likely to pay out a year or so.

I would fully imagine it's as simple as if the 36ers want Joey gone, 36ers will lose some money out of it, Joey would leave some on the table as has been suggested already. Pretty standard stuff.

Reply #791982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Joey gets work elsewhere quick smart, then this would be a massively beneficial situation for him financially.

Reply #791989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey got in court $236,000. Whether he actually got paid is a moot point.

He did claim that he was owed "Mr Wright claims he is owed $US192,400 ($A292,000) in lost earnings, as well as $171,500 in perks and bonuses to be paid in Australian dollars.
So in reality he got about 1/2 what he was claiming less legal expenses. So Joey take ones years salary and call it quits so the Sixers can move on.

Reply #792009 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

People get sacked mid contract all the time!

They get paid out and we all move on!

Reply #792010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why sign any coach to a 5 year deal.
Should be three years maximum.

Reply #792018 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Herp Derp Behaviour by Ownership #2018

Reply #792070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be made redundant as professional sports contracts don't work like that. Imagine the conversation. Sorry we have made the position of point guard redundant. We have decided to replace the role with a super dooper guard instead, feel free to apply for that job.

Worst case for the owner is to pay Joey his full entitlement and have to pay another coach on top of that.

He is best to cut a deal and move on.

Reply #792072 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

New coaches will usually want to pick their "own" team,
does anyone know which 36er players have guaranteed contracts for next year?
are players who are under contract but no longer required usually negotiated out for 1/2 pay?

Reply #792083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Worst case for the owner is to pay Joey his full entitlement and have to pay another coach on top of that."

You are dreaming if you think that will happen.

Reply #792137 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Owner: Do you want Randle in your team?
Candidate: Not really
Owner: Soz ur not our guy

^ I forsee this as the critical criteria for coach

Reply #792239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754