Topic #46957 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly this won't be the biggest NBL story today

Reply #795477 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

^True that Anon.
Can't wait for tonight's game to hopefully put the focus back on court.

Reply #795485 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Olgun always a news breaker!

Reply #795510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fiasco in South Australia overrides this news.

Reply #795518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if Joey will get a call about coaching there?

Reply #795526 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

Brent Costelloe from WIN News has just reported on Facebook that the GCC has unanimously voted to sell the DEC. Press conference at 2 pm.

Reply #795531 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great news, it'll be great if they could do double headers

Reply #795534 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Come on Jack, I see what you are doing there, yes very funny but the pot should never call the kettle........well you know how it goes brother!!

Reply #795538 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

And confirmed!!!

Reply #795563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F..king sensational for the league, great news, I'll be honest never thought it would happen.

Reply #795579 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

https://nbl.com.au/news/tasmania-secures-10th-nbl-team

Reply #795581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Tigers would be great, or devils.

Reply #795585 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Glad to see they got in before some of the other codes that have been looking at Tasmania. Will give them an advantage when signing sponsors and aligning with the media.

Reply #795586 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Love it. If it's going to work then now seems like the right time.

Reply #795590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeeeeeessssssss massive news so many things to chat and argue about on here for the next 12 months more imports more Australians. More games per season?

Reply #795596 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

We may see the Tigers back in the league ... the Tasmanian Tigers

Reply #795612 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

you bewty!!

Live in Hobart and this has made my day

Reply #795623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers, get it going.

Reply #795629 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Great news. The NBL are killing it. I hope the finals series is a ratings bonanza, they deserve it.

Reply #795663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing that people suggest team names that are already in use and they don't know.

Reply #795673 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

TASSIE DEVILS.

Reply #795674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania United!

Reply #795676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"More games per season?"
Wouldn't be surprised if the season is cut to 27 games each, play each team 3 times, but that's 9 more games in total.

Reply #795680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Devils

Reply #795681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

conferences

WILDCATS
36ERS
UNITED
TAS
HAWKS

KINGS
BULLETS
TAIPANS
BREAKERS
SEM

Reply #795682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be Hobart devils(rights) or southern huskies(previous attempt) or Tasmanian tigers(cricket)
Supposed to be a tassie team for the whole state,

I can only see 3 options.
Southern devils
Tasmanian Thunder
Tasmanian Timbers

Reply #795685 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Cats have already promised renewing members entry to "all 14 games of the regular 2020/21 season"
27 games per team would mean uneven home & away games, so it's unlikely they'd leave it at that anyway.
My guess is that they'll pick some "rivalry" games to get the total to 28.
eg. Melbourne Derby, Queensland clash, Per-Adl, Kings-Hawks, and the 2 teams that aren't part of Australia.

Reply #795689 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(Oops, my first point is obviously irrelevant since that's not even the same season, but the uneven home vs away thing still needs to be avoided)

Reply #795692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian titans?

Reply #795694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#795 what are you talking about?

Reply #795695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian timber tigers

Reply #795698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent news for the basketball industry. More playing jobs, more coaching jobs, more administration/management jobs!

Reply #795700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian clippers

Reply #795701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian fairy penguins

Reply #795702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under the agreement, West Australian Taxpayers will become the sponsor of the new team and undertake a significant redevelopment of the Derwent Entertainment Centre (DEC) in Hobart.

Reply #795703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Kestelmans

Reply #795704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra, Wellington next no doubt.
Two medium sized arenas that with small upgrades that could hold 6000-7000 in each.

Reply #795705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the NBL can buy the Hobart Devils name from CLB (or buy out CLB and merge it with 3x3 Hussle, if it comes to that).

Reply #795709 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Agree with Luc. 3 games against 8 teams, plus 4 against your "rival" makes perfect sense.

Reply #795710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra Kestelmans
Wellington Kestelmans

Reply #795711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lengthen the season by two weeks at the start, most supporters afl sides are out of competition by then, play more on games Thursday and Monday nights and play all teams four times.

Great news for Tasmania and all basketball fans.

Reply #795714 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Surely the NBL can buy the Hobart Devils name from CLB (or buy out CLB and merge it with 3x3 Hussle, if it comes to that)."

The team will almost certainly be branded "Tasmanian" (or Tassie) The Devils are the AFL's teams from Tassie.

What's happening with the Thunder and Tornadoes? I heard they were "joining forces", or is that only metaphorical?
Tassie Thunder would be a good name, if available, and it didn't piss the NW Thunder off too much.

Otherwise, I'm sure there are plenty of names to choose from, if you move away from icons and alliterations.
Apart from the Taipans, few teams have a really strong iconic connection to their chosen names.

Reply #795716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And people said it would never happen!?!
Great to see WA finally getting a 2nd NBL team!

Will they be called the Bandits? It would be appropriate.

Reply #795720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Lions (from the Lion on their flag)
Tasmanian Demons (from Van Diemen's Land)

Reply #795725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lions or demons are great.

Reply #795731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian pumas

Reply #795737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian arora

Reply #795739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. Expect the U of Tas to be involved. :)

Reply #795740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian snowcats

Reply #795741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Bass

Reply #795742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Whalers
Tassie Lumberjacks

Reply #795744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capture the whole island, and Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones fandom

South Dragons

Reply #795745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could the avoid the IP issue by calling them the Tasmanian 'Red' Devils?

Reply #795746 | Report this post

YaBoy  
Years ago

Tasmania Timberwolves

Reply #795749 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tasmanian Gov to be a sponsor of the NBL team. What does that mean? $1m per year from the state as was rumoured to have been asked?

Reply #795751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

huskies are not wolves, so it would make little sense.
Southern Huskies had a backstory.

Melbourne should be tigers and tasmania, devils.
United, just awful.

Sydney Kings same as Sacramento.

Reply #795758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Islanders

Reply #795760 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Tasmania Spirit as in Spirit of Tasmania

Reply #795768 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

KET, the figure quoted today is $2m per annum for the next five years. The originally mooted figure was $1.5m per annum, so the NBL have done very well in negotiations there!

Not sure if that will be for naming rights, or whether they will sell those rights to someone else.

Reply #795771 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Note to Tas NBL franchise ......do not recruit Joey Wright as Head Coach

Reply #795777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is a 36er anyways?

Reply #795778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What is a 36er anyways?"
State proclaimed in 1836 and Lightning refers to Colonel Light, who mapped out the city of Adelaide.

Reply #795781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man people post here about NBL and they don't know the origins of a club. I guess the poseter in fairness may be a young child.

Reply #795890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Goulding first signing .

Reply #795905 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

This team should be named Southern Huskies. Bring the nznbl fans with them.

Reply #795917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Gibson has 1 year left on his contract. Perfect chance to secure him and then onto coaching.

Reply #795929 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Cannot use Southern in the name. When you do this anyone that doesn't follow the sport closely has no idea what state or even what country you are from. You have to use Hobart or Tasmania in the name the same that all NBL clubs have the city name first.

I hold up Super Rugby as an example. I still have no idea after how many years even which country each of the teams are from in this competition as they just use names such as Reds and Highlanders etc. It probably doesn't help that I have no interest in the sport so can't be bothered looking it up.

Reply #795941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(I hold up Super Rugby as an example. I still have no idea after how many years even which country each of the teams are from in this competition as they just use names such as Reds and Highlanders etc. It probably doesn't help that I have no interest in the sport so can't be bothered looking it up.)

Same but for me it's the 20/20 big bash and afl.

Reply #795968 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cannot use Southern in the name. When you do this anyone that doesn't follow the sport closely has no idea what state or even what country you are from. You have to use Hobart or Tasmania in the name the same that all NBL clubs have the city name first.

I hold up Super Rugby as an example. I still have no idea after how many years even which country each of the teams are from in this competition as they just use names such as Reds and Highlanders etc. It probably doesn't help that I have no interest in the sport so can't be bothered looking it up.

You do realise your example is a result of something even worse than naming an NBL side Southern?

When it launched Super Rugby teams used state/provincial place names. This practice was scrapped later on as the ACT in Brumbies and NSW in Brumbies meant absolutely nothing to NZ and SA viewers. "What's an ACT?" Conversely Free State, Otago et al drew a "huh?" from Australian fans. The new system is a lot cleaner.

Reply #795974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It ain't, Tasmania has to be in the name, you can google it and find it, google southern and see what you find. Super Rugby, T20 rubbish you don’t no where they come from.

Reply #795978 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In saying that it has to be Devils... with Tasmania in front of it.

Reply #795990 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

$2mil sponsorship is a fantastic deal!! That covers a decent amount of costs - it gives them 5 years to really setup without too much financial issue.

I fully expect the government won't take up the extension because it’s government.

$40mil stadium upgrade plus $2m sponsorship they won’t be a small dingey team they’re doing this properly.

Reply #795991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK, love him or loathe him he does it properly.

Reply #795995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I fully expect the government won't take up the extension because it's government."

Well the Tasmanian government has been sponsoring Hawthorn since 2007, so they're not adverse to sports club sponsorship it seems.

Reply #795997 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK, love him or loathe him he does it properly.

An NBL team in receipt of government funding is amazing. LK you've done it again!

Reply #795999 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's true but that’s what gets them games by Hawks in Tasmania.

If they have a basketball team regardless in 5 years, they won’t need to pay the dolllaroos to convince them to play there

Reply #796031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee you guys talk a lot of sh:t on here lol

Reply #796051 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

There is clear anger down here in Tas towards the AFL and this has flowed through to the government for funding both Hawthorn and North Melbourne with no sign of a team here.

The NBL is different it is a Tasmanian team (albeit initally owned by Larry K), there is also a lot people speaking out about tax payers money for this club. This is being balanced with understanding of what it will bring to the state both at Wilkinsons Point precinct (where the DEC / stadium) development and having our own team in a national league at last.

There are a distinct lack of courts, especially in the south. The development of Wilkinsons Point includes new courts that is long overdue.

The intrigue of the development of the club / team is great. If we end up with sons of players from the Devils years we could be ok - Tanner Krebs (Dan Krebs), Sam McDananiel (Wayne), Sam Froling (Shane) ....add a couple of young locals with some strong connections such as Jack Stanwix (dad played for the Devils), Tre Armstrong, Kyle Clark (familar name Adelaide supporters), and Serj Deans plus some imports and maybe grab the son of a previous coach CJ Bruton would be a fairly good line up!!

Reply #796055 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

+ Reyne Smith

Reply #796057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make no mistake LK didn't do this just for the NBL. He did it to get the land at an affordable price. It's interesting to note that his $200mill investment in building stuff on the land in now down to $150mill. Equally the Government's contribution to support the team has gone from the reported $1.5mill to $2mill p.a.

Reply #796059 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

yep - LK is shrewd, which is not a bad thing!

Reply #796062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just needs to deliver on his promises. IE. they need to have a competitive team from the outset. They need to enter in 21/22 with a team far better than the SEM Phoenix. I have a few mates there and whilst they started with a bang they wimpered out by season's end.

Reply #796087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beveridge, Nielsen, Henare, Forde, Dennis, Goorjan, gaze, etc etc.
Who will get the coaching job?

Reply #796094 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Chris Goulding will be the first player signed up. You heard it here first.

Reply #796106 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

With the introduction of Tasmania it'll still be a 8 team league as the Illawarra Hawks will fold.

Reply #796107 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Stewie will be in the mix, he knows how to recruit not sure he knows how to coach though

Reply #796116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is clear anger down here in Tas towards the AFL and this has flowed through to the government for funding both Hawthorn and North Melbourne with no sign of a team here.
<'blockquote>
Do you understand that the AFL is a contra deal?
The Tassie government notionally sponsors the teams, and in quid pro quo, the AFL provides other funding.

I guess the rationale behind partially funding the NBL team is that without that top-up, the team would suck balls, and just become yet another embarrassment to Tasmania.
They may also be hoping it puts more pressure on the AFL to sweeten their deal

Reply #796174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man you clearly have never watched any SEabl games. Stewie is the winningest coach in the SEABL.

Reply #796177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Chimera

Reply #796204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Orthrus

Reply #796205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Hand Fish

Reply #796212 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

SEM Phoenix had a great first year. There's not an expectation of 10m crowds and finals first year, it takes time to establish base and talent. They had good crowds around that 5k mark, they built a good brand with the heartland theme, things ran smoothly, captured Creek which is huge for the next 3-5 years and found a gem in Roberson with an improving Pinaeu. They can build on that very nicely.

No doubt LKs other commercial interests played a huge part both incentive for him wise and incentive for Tasmania wise. Absolute win win and a savvy mindset that you get having a businessman in charge

Reply #796220 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

10k*. Wish there was an edit function

Reply #796221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewie will be fighting hard for the job, the ceo and coach should be from Tasmania certainly to start as the government are chucking the coin in.

Reply #796225 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yes I have watched a lot of SEABL, that does not change what I said - great recruiter not sure about the coaching. The teams he has had have been stacked.

Yep I know this is an important aspect but I am not sure how he is with the x and o's.

Reply #796253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Brown is keen to start steeping back from the nba, just saying

Reply #796286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has stacked teams because he is a great recruiter. His X's and O's are better than anyone else around. Stewie is probably the best non NBL coach going around.

Reply #796329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His teams haven't been stacked, he’s just done a good job. There seabl winning side was no way the best side on paper that year, Ballarat, Nunawading , Mount gambier had better sides on paper. He should be a good fit for the job, Nashie as an assistant.

Reply #796339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Tasmania can do better than that. It's still 2 years away they need to take their time and get it right.

Reply #796345 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Will disagree re his teams being stacked, do think he and Nash should be involved not sure if it is as head coach. Reckon Nashy would rather head up a centre of excellence training centre.

Reply #796378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash is the x and O's man. PLlayer development. Stewie has to be involved at some level of coaching. I would hate to see him get the HC role and then a year later get booted. Do an apprenticiship under somemone like Bevo for a few seasons and take the helm.

Reply #796388 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep agree re Stewie doing an apprentiship, think Nashy is more of a stalk the sidelines yelling than a x and o man

Reply #796394 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can't wait for Calvin Talford night.

Reply #796395 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Now that bloke Talford could jump!!

Remember a player called Greg Giddings? Played at the same time as Paul Stanley, didn't last long but he could play.

Reply #796412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I remember them both. Talford scored 50 in his first game Vs Brisbane and they still lost. Defence? Teah it goes around Da House. Quote Ken Cole.

Reply #796438 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

My favorite memory of games against Brisbane was the one with Carfino down at Kingborough pinching the win.

Kingborough was hostile

Reply #796452 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tasmania Apples.

Reply #796528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Bludgers

Southern Stoners

The Nimbys

Hobart Chiggers

Reply #796533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian toothless.

Reply #796534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man can we close this shit down please Isaac and start something sensible please.

Reply #796589 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

"Tasmania Spirit as in Spirit of Tasmania"

The name didn't fare to well with the Sydney Spirit. I think it should be the Devils, the Kings and the Bullets seem to be benefiting reviving their previous club names. The only way it shouldn't be the Devils if they can't get through the potential obstacles to get it which would be a shame.

Reply #796592 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

The last season of the Devils they had potential. The rising star David Stiff, Darren Smith, and the long range Timmy Brenton with their coach Bill Tomilson running the show. Tomilson was fighting with one arm behind his back as the club didn't have alot of funds in his tenure. He did say in his stint while coaching them that losing Anthony Stewart to free agency to the Perth Wildcats was one of the most disappointing moments in his tenure with the club.

Reply #796597 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Devils would be awesome as it brings brand recognition with it but anything but "Pride"

Perhaps the Tasmanian Inbreeds would work

Reply #796611 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He did say in his stint while coaching them that losing Anthony Stewart to free agency to the Perth Wildcats was one of the most disappointing moments in his tenure with the club.

I still remember the first press conference after Stewart arrived west - Wildcats purposely staged it outdoors at King's Park with the Perth CBD skyline in the background. The theme of it being "Look! We've signed a player from little old Tasmania and now he's in the big smoke!" Just like in this thread the Apple Isle getting ripped on.

Reply #796620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Apple Crumbles

Colours red and green.

Reply #796636 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Great for the league and for Australian basketball. The NBL has the opportunity to really get a foothold in Tasmania before other codes, and other codes may never actually get around to doing it. Tasmania could end up as parochial for their team as Perth, so I hope they've got a decent amount of seats sorted.

Reply #796643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman's aim is to make basketball the #1 sport in Tasmania. Soccer is alreay up in arms about it. "Oh we missed out, we need nore funding"

Reply #796659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The afl had meetings with government recently as well, they won't be happy, go LK and your team, great work.

Reply #796665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gutwein was in Melbourne meeting the AFL only a few days before this announcement. It will be years (if ever) that AFL gets a team in Tassie.

Reply #796674 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Here is a clip of when the Hobart Devils were originally kicked out of the comp in 1996 that goes for a couple of minutes. It shows interviews with players, coaches, and fans and basketball highlights clips of the Hobart Devils. For those who were too young to remember the Devils in the NBL and never saw them you my friends are in for a treat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh7wwK8RqJY

Reply #796933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle needs a team. 2nd biggest city in nsw. Dwarfs tassie. Central coast, newcastle, port mac all need a team to support....

Reply #798036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl team 20 though, maybe Darwin or nth qld.

Reply #798039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Afl team 20 though, maybe Darwin or nth qld." Please explain?

Reply #798050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania afl team 19...

Reply #798053 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Tasmanian Apple Crumbles

Colours red and green."

Crumbles taken already.

I also don't like the connotation that the team will crumble. The NBL needs every team to be competitive, and for every fan to turn up or tune in to matches each season thinking their team is a good chance to make the finals deep into the regular season.

The AFL do this through the draft, with each team having ups and downs in turn. It’s artificial in some respects, but look at the crowds, tv audience and sponsorships. The AFL is a behemoth that the the NBL will never match, but we should be aiming to emulate them on a much smaller scale. On Qld/NSW border, I’ve now seen ads for a rugby league modified program. It’s obviously a copy of the Auskick program, but the main sponsor is...
The NRL. To me, this reads as rugby league being so worried about AFL’s rise in league heartland that they are spending their own money. NAB Auskick is fully funded by NAB. Even the insurance is subsidised with NAB money. It’s a way of hooking young kids (and their parents) in to become their future fans and consumers.

If the NBL can grow enough, we might see little kids doing cheap basketball programs with local clubs providing coaches, and NBL sending players out to junior coaching sessions to help and promote the game. Smaller scale, but it’s the best model I’ve known in junior sport.

Reply #798084 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Tazzie Titans?

Reply #810555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devils the best but it's unlikely.
State colours of black, green, yellow and red.

Reply #810557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else notice that LK is paying for his posts to be pushing on Insta?

Reply #810565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ if he is what is the issue with that?

Reply #810569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean....LK is advertising?? OH NO!!!

Reply #810572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that no paper other than The Mercury and the The West had an article on Tassie being admitted. NBL can't get it right with their media that's for sure. Pretty bad.

Reply #810581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair bigger issues in Vic and with borders closed and AFL moving at a cost of 10 million any full media coverage would be ill advised as of now...

Reply #810582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is a fair bit going on in Victoria right now for their media to care about a team joining the NBL in 18 months time. Just putting it out there

Reply #810583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herald Sun had an article July 2

Reply #810584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From today's Mercury.

"STRONG interest has already been shown in the chief executive role for the NBL's newest club as five key positions for the Tasmanian team go to market.

NBL boss Larry Kestelman and the State Government finalised their deal last week which will see Tasmania join the league in the 2021-22 season.

NBL owner and executive chairman Larry Kestelman and Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein shake hands after announcing the league’s 10th team would be based in Tasmania. Picture: Zak Simmonds
NBL owner and executive chairman Larry Kestelman and Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein shake hands after announcing the league’s 10th team would be based in Tasmania. Picture: Zak Simmonds
It leaves less than 18 months for the team to be built from the ground up and after wasting little time advertising for a CEO, the NBL has asked for expressions of interest in four other crucial roles:

• Commercial Manager

• Head of Operations

• Membership and Community Engagement Manager

• Marketing Coordinator

"We are excited to begin the search for the first employees of our 10th NBL team in Tasmania," Kestelman said.

“We have already been inundated with applications for the position of CEO, which shows the level of interest in the new team.

“The CEO and these other roles will help establish the foundations for the team ahead of its entry into the NBL next year.”

Kestelman said there has also been strong interest from corporate Australia in becoming foundation partners of the Tasmanian team, which will play its home matches at a refurbished Derwent Entertainment Centre .

In the coming week a campaign will be launched asking Tasmanians to nominate suggestions for the new team.

“As the team will represent the whole state, we have decided that Tasmania must form

part of the name and this will be a great chance for Tasmanians to have their say in the name that will be ultimately chosen,” Kestelman said.

Fans can register their support for their new NBL team at nbltas.com.au.

Reply #810845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754