Anon
Years ago

Costs to play rep basketball

Hi, is there a standard cost to play rep basketball, or does it depend on the association? I actually think the cost should be published and more info given as to where / how the money is spent.

Topic #46988 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no standard cost, and it very much depends on the association. It should also be noted that there can be valid reason for the variation in fees. For example, some clubs offer uniforms, additional coaching, additional sessions, etc etc as part of the fees....whereas others require that these items are paid for separately. I see no valid reason for the associations to publish the fee rates publicly. If you don't like what is being charged or cant afford it, then don't play rep or go elsewhere. AS to where the money is spent, this information should always be available in the annual reports which will be presented at an AGM. You just have to review the financial statements.

Reply #796910 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Depends on the association, but generally between $650 - $750 for the season. Extra if you do the optional tournaments.

Most (all?) clubs in Sydney publish a rep handbook that has all of the fees broken down, as well as detailing all of the obligations the player/parents have. Very handy.

Reply #796917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the cost to play rep basketball is ridiculous. Cost to play Jnr rugby league and AFL this season is $180... less $100 active kids voucher and this includes uniforms.

I'd hate to think of how many players are lost to the sport because of cost!

Reply #796920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon... thats not rep rugby league... that being said... most district rugby leagues charge around $300 for junior rep development squads and you only pay that if you take the gear and then don't participate or leave to another district.

Problem we have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY rep teams that it is basically club basketball.

Reply #796922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can thank local government and councils for that. Those football clubs have their grounds maintained and refurbished by councils for little to no cost and they are not required to pay any significant rental cost for their facilities. Whereas, Basketball seems to get screwed in this regard and pay massive rentals for a variety of Courts....whether those Courts be council owned or from local schools. I dont think any basketball associations are gouging their players or making massive profits....quite the opposite.

Reply #796923 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If you are anything decent at Aussie rules you won't be paying a cent, outside travel of course. You need well off parents to get anywhere in basketball to begin with.

Two very different pathways

Reply #796925 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hi all

just remember yes there are a lot of associations playing rep ball with a lot of teams and a lot of divisions, yes it is glorified domestic in a lot of the rep sections and yes it is costly but think for a moment that we are getting kids to play on Friday nights right up to U21 and the cost for that is priceless, training sunday mornings so hopefully kids are not up to wondering streets on Saturday night.

Reply #796928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like a rep off

Reply #796934 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

I play street ball it don't cost me a dime.

Reply #797045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can thank local government and councils for that. Those football clubs have their grounds maintained and refurbished by councils for little to no cost and they are not required to pay any significant rental cost for their facilities."

Actually, outside of mowing of grass - most of these grounds are maintained by local clubs volunteers. Funding also comes from the governing down to the grassroots level. This makes an incredible difference. Most buildings on grounds are maintained by staff of the leasing club. And yes, rent is significantly less but again the SENIOR bodies are continually involved at local council levels to ensure that their members receive the best benefits feasible.

And I too doubt it's associations gouging the members, i believe it more likely a case of the governing bodies gouging the associations forcing the associations hands.

Reply #797080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754