Anonymous
Years ago

Australian Associated Press to be closed?

Is this correct what I'm hearing? If so a sad day as their news coverage of the NBL was solid.

They would do a match report for every game and also cover the interesting stories.

Topic #46991 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The Australian Associated Press will shut down its newswire service on June 26 in a historic development for Australia's media landscape after its two biggest clients and shareholders decided to pull out.

Major shareholders Nine Entertainment Co and Rupert Murdoch's News Corp will sever longstanding partnerships with AAP in an effort to cut costs amid a challenging media advertising landscape. Nine is the owner of this masthead. It is believed at least 180 jobs will be lost in the closure.

AAP chief executive Bruce Davidson said it had been an "extremely difficult decision" to shut AAP, including the newswire service and sub-editing service Pagemasters, but signalled some of the staff would be redeployed to News Corp and Nine.
Not sure who's writing their match reports, but it was Pagemasters at one point recently.

Reply #796971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think pagemasters provided content for the nbl website previously but I'm not sure they currently do.

However, AAP provide their own coverage of NBL too, which you can find on this page.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/basketball/nbl

Reply #796976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every thing with this government turns to shit unless you are a billionaire then you get looked after. Nothing is made or owned by Australia any more including the media. You reap what you sow.

Reply #796980 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

From memory didn't AAP drop NBL coverage for a few years before returning?

Reply #796982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

AAP/Pagemasters did the NBL website's game reports in 2011/12 and 2012/13.

Reply #797022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"AAP/Pagemasters did the NBL website's game reports in 2011/12 and 2012/13."

Where will be the place to go for NBL game reports in the absence of AAP? I guess the official NBL site? Are their writers in-house?

Reply #797051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep.

Reply #797064 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

AAP is no longer needed and was a money pit.

Reply #797070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"AAP is no longer needed and was a money pit."

They were very much needed. Where else can we go for balanced NBL coverage of what's happening in the league.

Reply #797072 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'd add 'timely’ to your ‘balanced NBL coverage’ - nothing worse than websites with stuff that’s out of date or missing stuff that’s current

Reply #797113 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754