LV
Years ago

Home Cooking

What is home cooking?

- Home cooking is when most of the calls go in favour of the home team. Where the refereeing appears to favour the home team.

Why does this happen?

- Psychology. The crowd effect. This is why the alleged home bias often worsens throughout a game- because the crowd gets louder.

Is this an intractable problem?

- Learning to block out the noise is incredibly difficult, and takes many years of practice. Only the best of the best, the uber professional ever get adept at it.

- There is no simple solution. We can't make the refs wear ear plugs, because communicating with players and coaches is another key role of the referee.

Why is Home Cooking such a big issue in basketball?

- The crowd is in closer proximity to the refs than most other sports.

- Referees have a greater influence on the result in basketball than many other sports. Basketball rules are quite complex. And there’s differences game-to-game in reffing style and this is often apparent early in the game. This means basketball coaches and players have to make bigger adjustments to accommodate how the game is being called. This can often inadvertently advantage one team or another.

- Other sports have the ability to effectively mitigated the impact that poor decisions have on the result. Eg: In Cricket, a team can appeal if they believe the dismissal was incorrect. Tennis players get a set number of appeals. There are only a certain number of "grey area" decisions in tennis and cricket. 90% of the calls are quite obvious. It’s only occasionally where a review might be called upon. Whereas basketball has a greater percentage of 50/50 calls. And we can’t review everything. The referees are required to make more continuous decisions in basketball than referees in other sports (again, consider tennis or cricket). Again, basketball is complex in this regard.

- Basketball players have a set limit. 5 fouls and you’re out. In AFL you can give away unlimited free kicks and keep playing. In cricket you can bowl 15 no balls and you’ll give away 15 runs, but you can keep bowling. In basketball if a player gets two questionable calls, they’re already walking on eggshells or subbed out. (Refer: Chris Goulding in Game 1 in Sydney. Subbed out within a minute after a questionable foul on an Andrew Bogut screen).

Suggested solutions?

Topic #47006 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

^sook have a cry sook lol lmfao

Reply #797637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously LV....every damn time!

Reply #797639 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm leaning more and more away from "home cooking" to the fact the refs are complete imbeciles.

Reply #797641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Close thread, getting boring.

Reply #797642 | Report this post

Looking Forward  
Years ago

No doubt that home venue can have some impact on games.

The pressure on refs can be substantial.

Is it time to gag the coaches from talking to the refs during game time? Some of it, think Gleeson et al, amounts to bullying. Bad look for the game and only adds to the pressure on the refs.

It is totally unnecessary and can slow down the action on court. I think most people go to watch the players rather than the coaches' ugly behaviour.

Reply #797644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a United or Kings fan but last night’s biased reffing towards Kings ruined the he game. Someone suggested importing refs for the finals series. The reffing has been so inconsistent this year that I lean towards this as the answer

Reply #797645 | Report this post

jamit  
Years ago

How about sending them to the NBA for a year so they can learn how to not pay SOFT FOULS...Ive said it once and Ill say it again..Fans go to watch a game of basketball...not to watch the umpires..Its a man on man physical sport..not a game of Netball..Australian umpires stop the game far too much with ridiculous soft fouls...its easy to see how frustrated the players are with these calls ..especially the american imports...Either get our umps to swallow the whistle or get some NBA umps out here to run the show...It will make our game a whole lot better to watch...

Reply #797647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs need to chill out early in the game. All throughout the season we are seeing players pick up 2/3 fouls in the first quarter and it absolutely ruins the contest. We don't want to see bonus free throws every quarter either ffs.

Reply #797648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you gag the coaches then you'd have to gag the players. Goulding carrying on like a pork chop isn't what I pay to see either.

Reply #797649 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

OK, so this thread is about the quality if the ref-ing, their capacity to succomb to an over-zealous home crowd & untimately influence the result of the game ... well isn't that a 'Captain Obvious' ?

I absolutely agree fouls change behaviour (eg MU last night, even with Vickerman said don't worry about the guys on court were conservative & Sydney got away from them)...

But I also agree that it is a bad look for big mouth Trev to be in Ref's ears, but I think the other is what could be perceived to be a lack of respect by the coaches & players questioning every call (either directly or with their pantomime of 'oh no, not me') and then requiring the ref to explain everything.

No doubt the person with the most work to do over the off-season is Scott Butler... his aim get quality and consistency across all the refs. Please Scott work then hard in the off-season as the game is suffering

Reply #797650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking isn't really the issue. It’s the soft foul calls in general that are ruining the games.

Reply #797653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone suggested importing refs for the finals series. The reffing has been so inconsistent this year that I lean towards this as the answer

I think that would be problematic and unrealistic. I would prefer to organise sabaticals for our refs to increase their experience in foreign professional leagues, and maybe an exchange program to get some foreign refs here on exchange. I doubt NBA would go for it, but maybe some Euro leagues, or NCAA.

Getting rid of soft calls may help to improve consistency, which I think is the main issue. It would probably make it more difficult for smaller players though.

I do think there are some easy wins to be had, with things like illegal screens, or impeding the ball carrier. These are pretty easy to spot, but inconsistently enforced. Some of the off the ball action is a bit harder to judge.

Recently, there has also been more open discussion from NBA refs and players about bias and punitive judgement, which highlights subjectivity and innappropriate motivations. This was dismissed or kept quiet in the past. A bit harder to control the dialogue these days.

Reply #797655 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Home cooking isn't really the issue. It's the soft foul calls in general that are ruining the games.]

I agree, and I'll be starting another thread over the next few days specifically to discuss soft calls, focusing on one particular type: Rebounding and loose ball fouls.

But I also think home cooking is an interesting topic worthy of discussion.

Reply #797656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No such thing as a loose ball foul. That's an NBA term.

Reply #797657 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

For the Sydney-Melbourne and Cairns-Perth games, I had no horse in either race, and no axe to grind. But watching those games I could have sworn that the referees were under the directive to make this a Sydney-Perth grand final series. It was almost embarassing at times. Home teams got almost every 50/50 call, plus a half dozen phantom calls at opportune moments as well. I think the losing teams have every right to feel hard done by.

Reply #797658 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"and I'll be starting another thread over the next few days specifically to discuss soft calls, focusing on one particular type: Rebounding and loose ball fouls"

Why on earth would you do this?

Reply #797660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll be starting another thread"

please dont

Reply #797661 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[No such thing as a loose ball foul. That's an NBA term.]

I just mean two players competing for a loose ball (typically a rebound) and one of them is pinged for illegal contact. Typically it's for pushing, or sometimes holding.

Or sometimes, as in last night's game, you watch the replay and can't even work out what the ref supposedly saw. So without seeing the ref actually make the signal, you don't know what the call is.

Reply #797662 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Why on earth would you do this?]

Because:

1. It's interesting

2. It relates to one of my favourite pastimes, watching bball

3. Because it results it lots of entertaining comments from people on the internet

Do I need any more reasons?

Reply #797664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop lv

Reply #797665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The referees have been bad all year no matter where they played. At least their consistent. Hopefully the referees do some homework over the of season.

Reply #797666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2. It relates to one of my favourite pastimes, watching bball And sooking about it

Reply #797667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(For the Sydney-Melbourne and Cairns-Perth games, I had no horse in either race, and no axe to grind. But watching those games I could have sworn that the referees were under the directive to make this a Sydney-Perth grand final series. It was almost embarassing at times. Home teams got almost every 50/50 call, plus a half dozen phantom calls at opportune moments as well. I think the losing teams have every right to feel hard done by.).

Sounds like axe grinding to me lol have a cry :))

Reply #797668 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I have no problem with people complaining about home cooking, I wish it would stop.

The issue is when people like LV are the beneficiaries of home cooking, .

You can't have it both ways.

Reply #797669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When in any basketball competition in the world has the home team not got 50/50 calls.

LV telling us today he loves watching basketball but previously he hasn't had time to watch much this year. I didn’t really worry which side won yesterday but you have to give credit to kings coming back after a flogging and getting back to going to the rack. Cooks could not chuck it in the ocean on his few missed shots but got 14 points on dunks by crashing the boards.

Reply #797673 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

1. It's interesting - it really isn't

2. It relates to one of my favourite pastimes, watching bball - and you choose to talk about the refs over anything?

3. Because it results it lots of entertaining comments from people on the internet - like your comments?

Reply #797677 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I have no problem with people complaining about home cooking, I wish it would stop.
The issue is when people like LV are the beneficiaries of home cooking

Ditto. Reffing can be uneven. We've all seen it.
But when the loudest & most prolific sook is nowhere to be seen when it's favouring their team, it tells you that they're not interested in discussing the subject with any honesty.

Reply #797680 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Home Cooking seems to me like an intractable problem.

I've been thinking about this for a long time but was hoping some of you might offer solutions.

So far, good suggestion on restricting coach arguing. Coaches get away with more whinging than players- why?

Of course I'm not going to start threads and complain when it's my team. Psychology says we're all biased- I'm not exempt. Never claimed to be.

Reply #797682 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[ - and you choose to talk about the refs over anything?]

In case you haven't read any media, Twitter, etc over the past 18 hours EVERYBODY is talking about the refs and there's general agreement amongst neutrals that

1. Reffing was generally woeful and ruined an otherwise good game

2. It favoured Sydney

1 and 2 are separate issues. I'm actually far more interested in 1 than 2. Just had a few thoughts floating around re: 2, so started a thread on it. Feel free to ignore the thread if you wish!

Reply #797684 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One time ago, I played and only the Captain could talk to refs' Ask for explanation etc. all ok. but players couldn't .. Now, they all are talking to the refs... All things must change?

Reply #797686 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The only way to be consistent is to make sure Melbourne get unfavourable reffing home AND away.

Reply #797687 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

LV, how come you decided to make a thread now?

Why didn't you make at any point when Melbourne got heavily favoured with home cooking?

Reply #797688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which 3 Refs deserve Game 1? I'd say Aylen, Mayberry and Lyons fot consistency and not letting the occasion get to them

Whatever happened to Scott Campbell ref wise? Was touted as the next big thing but not even in the League any more!!

Reply #797689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My apologies - Scott Butler

Reply #797690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If those 3 ref, Perth should just stay home and forfeit game 1.

Reply #797691 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Why didn't you make at any point when Melbourne got heavily favoured with home cooking?]

Cos I don't notice it as much- I have psychological biases just as much as the next person.

But, again, the neutrals and journos are talking about it, and it's a deciding semi final game. That makes it newsworthy.

I didn't even notice much home cooking for Perth last night. And everyone knows how much I dislike Perth. I hadn't noticed it in any of the preceding 4 semi final games (only 1 of which was in Melbourne). That tells me last night was particularly bad.

Reply #797692 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Why didn't you make at any point when Melbourne got heavily favoured with home cooking?]
"

Melbourne didn't get 45 points worth of home cooking. But could the home cooking have swayed Game 3 for Sydney? Absolutely.

Reply #797693 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LV, what did you think of the officiating in the 2018 GF series between Melbourne and Adelaide? I remember you weren't happy with the refs in last year's GF between Melbourne & Perth.

Reply #797694 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Of course I'm not going to start threads and complain when it's my team.

Then you are an even bigger idiot than first thought.

You have been going around creating threads extolling the virtues of clean well reff'd basketball for the betterment of ALL basketball fans, ALL.

This is not even thinly veiled, it's not veiled at all.

You only care when the calls go against United.

If only it were legal to end oxygen theft.

Reply #797695 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Just my 2 cents.. I'm a Cairns fan. I think there was some Perth home cooking, but minimal and you could argue they earned that with home advantage.

However, the Kings-United game was outrageous. And I can’t stand United. Very lopsided first half in particular. Worth noting that outside of the Lisch-Trimble play refs had very little to do with the last 3 mins and United’s poor decisions, but I concede United have a right to complain.

P.s when Goulding went to cut and Ware jumped in front and fell over, it was a terrible call. But... it was the funniest thing I’ve seen all season.

Reply #797696 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Melbourne didn't get 45 points worth of home cooking. But could the home cooking have swayed Game 3 for Sydney? Absolutely."

Meant generally mate hence “at any point”, Not specifically game 2, never even watched that game

Reply #797697 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're going to deserve the shit you get if your response is "hey let’s discuss awful umpiring when it hurts my team but I don’t care when it favours my team" that tells everyone you’re just bitching and if anything people will justifiably enjoy you in the mild pain associated with your team being kicked out of the finals series.

Reply #797699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has been the capital of home cooking for decades, saying Perth should stay at home for game one is a great idea, Kings in a walkover, lol. Perth don't travel to Sydney and Sydney don’t travel to Perth is great for Sydney 3-2. Lmao.

Reply #797700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick maff.

Reply #797701 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You're going to deserve the shit you get if your response is "hey let's discuss awful umpiring when it hurts my team but I don’t care when it favours my team" ]

[You only care when the calls go against United.]

Let me spell it out for you guys. So this is really clear.

1. I like good basketball.

2. I have psychological bias, so I'll notice when United cops it and I won't notice it as Much when they benefit

3. This thread may have been started after last night got me thinking about home cooking, but this thread has nothing to do with United or Sydney. Nothing whatsoever.

4. Go back to number 1, re-read 1, 2 and 3 before replying.

Reply #797702 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[LV, what did you think of the officiating in the 2018 GF series between Melbourne and Adelaide? I remember you weren't happy with the refs in last year's GF between Melbourne & Perth.]

Yes McCarron was called for 9 fouls in the 2 Perth games without committing a single foul, so that was frustrating to watch.

In 2018 I recall every game being a fairly convincing result except game 3. So I doubt reffing unduly had much influence?

I recall Adelaide fans complaining about Sobey receiving inconsistent treatment to a United player. I thought Sobey's headbutt was more reckless and not exactly comparable. But I don't actually remember it with perfect clarity.

Reply #797703 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" 1. I like good basketball."

No it's clear you like basketball where Melbourne are favoured, that’s not good basketball.

“2. I have psychological bias, so I'll notice when United cops it and I won't notice it as Much when they benefit”

Everyone knows you do, that’s why everyone gives you crap for bitching after a Melbourne loss.

“ but this thread has nothing to do with United or Sydney. Nothing whatsoever. ”

It’s just well timed right after the game right? It’s clear you got yourself in a tizzy there’s nothing credible about your post it’s just you having a tanty.

“ 4. Go back to number 1, re-read 1, 2 and 3 before replying.”

Don’t ask people to suffer through your nonsense again, that’s just cruel.

Reply #797704 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Yes McCarron was called for 9 fouls in the 2 Perth games without committing a single foul, so that was frustrating to watch."

As an FYI there's nothing in the rules stating a player must draw the same number of fouls as they commit.

If a player is committing 9 fouls and their opponent isn’t drawing fouls then perhaps it’s them and they should try a concept called adjusting.

There’s nothing dumber than people sooking about fouls when they are serial offenders. Griffin for Adelaide would foul recklessly and sook hard about it, that was more frustrating than any “bias” in any game.

Reply #797706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Thanks KET

Reply #797707 | Report this post

Hugh Jass  
Years ago

Don't know what NBL refs are paid, but perhaps that is something to address. Back in 1999 an NCAA div 1 panel ref earned $300k US. Was told this by a div 1 panel aspirant. I reckon the NBL should try to get some NBA ref expertise, maybe send a couple of the senior guys over there to watch closely, be in their meetings, reviews, etc. It would also help if we could get one or two recently retired NBA refs over here to mentor. Unfortunately, many of them are nearing senility age by the time they retire so may not be so great. Personally, I don't like the NCAA refs. Too many drama queens and over reactors.

Reply #797708 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[
No it's clear you like basketball where Melbourne are favoured, that's not good basketball.]

You're just salty about 2018.

At least I'm frustrated with current events. Time to build a bridge.

[Everyone knows you do]

I'm honest.

It's refreshing.

[It’s just well timed right after the game right? It’s clear you got yourself in a tizzy there’s nothing credible about your post it’s just you having a tanty]

When Olgun Oluc, Derek Rucker, and half the world is complaining about the refs too, maybe there's a few issues with the reffing.

Or maybe not!

Whatever floats your little boat mate.

Reply #797709 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[
As an FYI there's nothing in the rules stating a player must draw the same number of fouls as they commit.

If a player is committing 9 fouls and their opponent isn't drawing fouls then perhaps it’s them and they should try a concept called adjusting.
]

You misread my post.

None of the 9 fouls called on McCarron were actually correct calls. All should have been no-calls. He was constantly called for fouls without even touching his opponent. His minutes and influence were restricted as a result. A really important player.

Reply #797712 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

I defend LV in posting this topic because it deals with the integrity of the game.

The NBL is a pro-league, there is a lot of $ at stake in these contests. NBL has to be seen to be whiter than white and super vigilant.

If you don't ask questions you risk bias becoming business as usual and before you know it - you are in Manila.

If anyone had the time or interest (I don't), crunch the stats for evidence of home cooking. An alleged systematic tendency will show up as a statistical tendency.

Reply #797713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought thats what you meant. I was really hoping it wasn't but deep down i knew you were trying to saying McCarron didnt touch his opponent on any of the 9 fouls.

For years, you have defended Melbourne’s advantages as not really being advantageous, but now you’re saying you just dont notice it? Rubbish.

Reply #797714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you're just salty about 2019

Time to build a bridge.

Reply #797715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"None of the 9 fouls called on McCarron were actually correct calls."

How do you not understand that saying shit like this completely undermines any argument you have.

Reply #797716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC is inconsistently angered by referring based on result. Stupid.

Reply #797718 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"[
No it's clear you like basketball where Melbourne are favoured, that's not good basketball.]

You're just salty about 2018. “

WTF? You're deluded and grasping at straws. I didn’t mention 2018. Never watched the series, wasn’t in Australia either, hard to be salty about something I wasn’t around for or paid attention to.

Reply #797719 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

LV - i do believe you are being trolled.

Reply #797720 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's about as dumb a comment as people targeting where I live not realising I live in Melbourne not Adelaide.

Reply #797721 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

1. I like good basketball.

You like basketball when the calls go your way and when they don't label it bad basketball. That's asinine.

2. I have psychological bias, so I'll notice when United cops it and I won't notice it as Much when they benefit

You have psychological impediments, but please raise that in another thread.

3. This thread may have been started after last night got me thinking about home cooking, but this thread has nothing to do with United or Sydney. Nothing whatsoever.

These threads start whenever United lose and you feel robbed (coincidentally a Coorelation Co-efficient of 1).

It has everything to do with Sydney or Perth or McCarron or whichever victims you choose to highlight on the United team.

Reply #797722 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" When Olgun Oluc, Derek Rucker, and half the world is complaining about the refs too, maybe there's a few issues with the reffing.

Or maybe not!

Whatever floats your little boat mate."

Nobody said reffing isn't average in this league, we are just saying we don’t need to hear LV bitching about Melbourne not getting favoured. You say that’s not what you are doing but if it walks like a duck quacks like a duck it’s a duck.

Reply #797723 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You're deluded]

I'm just a salty United fan, remember. What's your excuse?

Reply #797724 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Irony is, the more LV sooks the more people enjoy Melbourne losing the more it aggravates LV the happier everyone else is.

I'm pretty sure there’s a saying about graves and digging which fits well with this scenario.

Reply #797725 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The real irony is KET thinking I'm aggravated when I enjoy these threads, even the 80% of replies that have been completely off topic.

How would I kill time if not for the Hoops legends who know all and concede nothing!

Reply #797728 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(Like my great mate Lovebroker)

Reply #797729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your a fucken idiot ! they lost get over it !

Reply #797731 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ haha nicely said

Reply #797732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman with gun sides gone first, second and now fourth and yet we are blaming refs.

Reply #797736 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

LV

Where are your statistics to back up your claims of "Home cooking"

I agree there is a lot of soft fouls but its all about the analytics these days so....... Show me the numbers!!!!

Reply #797739 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Home Cooking no good. Uber Eats for me.

Reply #797740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlike AFL and many other sports (and unlike the NBA)
the NBL is funded by bums on seats.

Lets say that for whatever reason the coming AFL season turns completely to shit, say maybe due to Caronavirus fans stay away in their millions.
Won't matter, AFL still gets its money from televised games. (And networks would laugh all the way to the bank). Doesen't matter if they have basketcase clubs, playing in bumfuck nowhere, they still get their money.

But the NBL must try and make games competitive, moreover they MUST reward (home) crowds.

Your team can't win every game, and it can't win every season, and in fact some teams go decades between rings. But if your team could win all the (home) games you have season tickets to, that makes for a good experience.

By giving the "benefit of the doubt" to the home team, if there is any effect it is increase every teams chances of winning in front of their home crowd. In the regular season it balances out, and even in the finals, it rewards the higher finishing team.

The other issue is one of sensation.
It has been proven that we often don't actually see what we believe we saw, and that instead the brain interpolates to fill in missing data. This is why "eye witnesses" who only catch a glimpse are notoriously unreliable, and why so-called "retrieved" memories are basically useless.
It's why flopping sometimes gets rewarded.
Fact is that if visiting player appears to knock over home player, the crowd watching reacts instantaneously with screams and jeers. Where a ref has caught only a brief glimpse of what actually happens, his brains calls on all his sense to help piece it together. A huge negative (or positive) reaction from the crowd, can contribute to his perception of reality.

Lastly, got to remember that sometimes the visiting team just is that bad, especially in finals. They're tire, off their game, just a fraction slow on D, and they overcompensate.

Reply #797741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't really care re the results being a Breakers fan. But I do agree the standard of the refs is not good - A lot of games seem to be decided by the refs - I have seen Breakers games where we seem to get all the calls and win and others we seem to have only lost due to being judged way different to the other team. But - I think this is the case for all the teams - I think MEL would have won if they got a fare shake in game 3 - but they wouldn't have made the playoffs without some wins they got when the refs seemed to give them everything - Again seems this way for all teams
I think the standard of the refs needs to improve, and I do feel they are weak - Certain coaches and certain players, the refs seem scared to penalize. There is a reason why new imports get called so much and they foul out, and the players with a reputation don't get pinged much
the biggest thing I notice - I watch an NBA game and then often afterwards I could not tell you what the officials looked like - watching a NBL game you always notice them

Reply #797742 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I went into the game wanting Sydney to win, and I was pulling for Melbourne by quarter time because it was so obvious they were getting screwed.

Reply #797748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV actually makes sense.
The league wants Bogut to win title.

Reply #797756 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I usually don't pin anything on refs. But I am not sure how anyone could watch game 3 and not see clear bias that almost looks intentional. Didn't look too different to the bias in games you see in China.

Reply #797760 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Only one coach all year got thrown out and fined for calling out the refs.

Reply #797762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The way coaches carry on towards refs in this league is ridiculous. How you can earn a coach repeatedly and still allow them to be in the refs ear needs to stop.

Tech and throw a few as it's only human nature that the constant whinging will make you adjust how you call a game.

Reply #797764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Exactly you don't see nba coaches for ever whining to refs, let the refs do their job.

Reply #797765 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah I do get sick of seeing our coaches chew out the refs. The indignation they show for calls, especially guys like Joey Wright and Trevor Gleeson, borders on absurd. I'd be techning them up every 5 minutes.

Reply #797767 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The way coaches carry on towards refs in this league is ridiculous.

I agree. Changing interpretations during a season is a bad idea, but I wish the league would put everyone on notice at the start of next season and be a lot less tolerant when it comes to dishing out techs. Hard to do your job properly when you're constantly distracted by coaches yapping at you.

Reply #797773 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Scott Butler retired from refereeing and is now incharge of the NBL Refs.

Reply #797775 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree re getting tough on whinging coaches and players - 1 warning per game for the coach and 1 for the team players should be enough. Whenever a tech can't be given to any single player, then put it against the captain (who should be controlling team behaviour anyway).

I'd add getting tough (again?) on players who play for the foul through flopping or over-acting or head-throws, which hurts the image of the game or makes a mockery of respect for the referees.

I'd also like to see the referee review sessions after the game include a player rep and a coach's rep, so that there's better two-way communication and to make all parties more accountable (not just Scott Butler).

Reply #797776 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whatever happened to Scott [Butler] ref wise? Was touted as the next big thing but not even in the League any more!!
You say that like he was touted as the next big thing recently, rather than thirty years ago.

Reply #797779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately we've shown again that it's completely impossible to have a rational or sensible discussion about refs.

Lunatics like LV, who as soon as their team loses, starts multiple threads all basically touting some global conspiracy against their team.

The trolls who say "I don't support either team" and then demonstrate with their comments that they most definitely do.

The inevitable old, bitter, impotent, Perf haters, who think everything in NBL is a conspiracy to help Perf.
Maybe go have a look at the video of the presentations for their 3 wins under LK. In the first two, he looks like wasps are attacking his haemorrhoids. And last year, when they beat his team in Melbourne, he just walked out. Really think he is lifting a finger to help Perf?

LK, the League, and 95% of all basketball fans in Australia wanted to see Cairns in the GF. But sure the reffing is just another giant conspiracy to help Perf.

Reply #797797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Game 3 of the Perth v Cairns series the foul count was 12-17 and free throws 11-10. Hardly home cooking

Reply #797802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think many people had any issues with the reffing of Perth vs Cairns... However, surely no neutral would have enjoyed the reffing of Sydney vs Melbourne?
Plenty of conspiracy theories about LK pulling strings to help Melbourne. He certainly botched the job on Thursday!

Reply #797808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754