Evon Barksdale
Years ago

Clarifying the Kings complaints

Bogut and P Smith both complained that the NBL failed to really take any decisions or actions in relation to the impact of coronavirus on the grand final series. They cited that it was the clubs who appeared to be driving decisions.

The way I see it, the league did make a decision. That decision was, in the absence of mutual agreement between all parties, the grand final series would continue on as planned, Government instruction permitting. Being cognisant of the fast-changing environment, it made sense that certain aspects were discussed though. These were:

- Playing with no crowd in Game 2 (the Government had just announced the ban on mass gatherings, but only to take effect from the following Monday; Game 2 was on a Friday, so there was a decision to be made). Mutual agreement between everyone for no crowds in Game 2, so that was what happened;
- Accelerating the conclusion of the series. Options included:
- Best of 3 series. Kings were not interested in this option;
- Following G3, playing Game 4 (and 5 if required) ahead of the originally
planned schedule. Kings were not interested in this option.
- Playing the series in one location to reduce travel. Unclear how this discussion progressed.
- Using chartered planes to reduce infection risk. Kings state this option was only offered very late in the piece (after they'd already made their mind up).

On the whole of it, it doesn't appear the Kings have that much to complain about. They wanted the league to take a unilateral stance in view of the coronavirus, the league preferred a collaborative approach, with the fall back in the absence of an agreement being to play the series as per the original schedule.

I don't really understand the Kings' complaints about the league not making a decision, when the most logical decision would've been to shorten the series, which the league has stated Sydney was not in favour of in any case.

So what actually is it that Bogut and Smith are complaining about?

Topic #47113 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the other option that isn't mentioned in the above post, was to just call the series off altogether. But it would make sense that the league would try and get a result if possible.

Reply #802153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Game 2 was on a Friday, so there was a decision to be made). Mutual agreement between everyone for no crowds in Game 2, so that was what happened;"

It wasn't exactly mutual. One team owner was adamant that no Perth fans should be allowed in because he saw it as an opportunity to regain the upper hand, and dug his heels in to the point of lawyers were about to be called in. That is why the eventual decision on that day was made so late.

Reply #802157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's going to be a long offseason with people still crapping on about this.

Reply #802158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It wasn't exactly mutual. One team owner was adamant that no Perth fans should be allowed in because he saw it as an opportunity to regain the upper hand, and dug his heels in to the point of lawyers were about to be called in. That is why the eventual decision on that day was made so late."

I guess, regardless of the process to get there, there was an agreement to do it this way. They couldn't reach that point on the "shorten the series" options.

Reply #802162 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The risk was staying in Sydney, but that is where Sydney wanted to stay.

This year is interesting, the players who did not make the finals, moved on to new contracts in other competitions. The players that made the finals never got a chance to sign elsewhere prior to Covid 19 shut downs. Must be hurting a few of them in their financial planning.

Don't know why you started a new thread on this. P Smith and A Bogut are noise makers. The only people who are listening are media looking for a story or Violent crumble fans still sulking. Everyone is thinking what dicks.

Reply #802165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" I guess, regardless of the process to get there, there was an agreement to do it this way. They couldn't reach that point on the "shorten the series" options."

I dont know that I'd call one owner holding a gun to the heads of the league and his opponents “reaching an agreement.”

At least he’s consistent though. He also refused to shorten the series because it disadvantaged him.

Reply #802168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Sydney fan, I don't care anymore. Decision was made, the Wildcats got the title, let's move on. Anything else is just useless noise.

Reply #802170 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Even im over this.

More going on in the world to care anymore.

Reply #802171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings fans may not care but their owner is still fairly active on Twitter

Reply #802172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's going to be a long offseason with people still crapping on about this"

Agreed. Move on.

Reply #802173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep move on.

Reply #802175 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Kings fans may not care but their owner is still fairly active on Twitter"

Maybe email Twitter with a feature request re: an unfollow option.

Reply #802179 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The Kings used the virus as a smokescreen. They stated they cared about their players but in fact they used them as a reason to try to call off the season when the results didn't go their way.

They were exposed then went on the front foot to conjure up non-existent agreements and accuse the NBL of not taking action.

Reply #802181 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thanks for your clarification LB. No team has ever won two games in a row so I can definitely see why that has to be true. Looking forward to maybe 12+ more months of discussing this same topic.

Reply #802183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I don't see the need for this topic to have been started today, the longer Kings fans stay in denial about what went on, the longer this will hang around like a bad smell. Smith tainted the entire season with his bullshit and try as you might to point the finger at Perth fans for the way they act, nothing they have ever said or done will be as bad as the petulance coming from the "hoops capital"

Reply #802185 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No team has ever won two games in a row so I can definitely see why that has to be true.

I am not even discussing the result, that's settled.

I am discussing the Kings' behaviour and by extension their fans.

Reply #802186 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And by extension their fans? Can confirm the Kings did not reach out to me or probably any other members prior to or after the decision to ask us for advice on how to handle things.

The Kings ownership group look like sore losers if the NBL and Perth's version of events is true. The NBL's ownership group look like autocratic amateurs if Sydney's version is true. Most likely it's somewhere between the two, however closer to the official NBL/Perth position if I'm being honest. I think hindsight shows that Sydney made the right decision, but whether they did it ENTIRELY for the right reasons is very debatable and it would be dishonest for me to claim otherwise.

Now can we please move on.

Reply #802187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH

Spot on. I'm not convinced the players even had to much to do with the decision.

Reply #802188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty unfair to blame the fans for something out of their control. AngusH would never do that...

"Now it's mainly the fanbase and the the coach. I always remember a game years and years ago where Perth was in Sydney and there was a little boy waving a Kings flag around right up the back of the old entertainment centre, and a large mob of drunk travelling Wildcats fans were sitting nearby, and one of the guys, in his 30s, walks over to the kid, and snatches the flag away. Set the benchmark for my view on many (no, not all) Wildcats fans."

Reply #802193 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I guess the difference being that that was something that, you know, a fan did, not Jack Bendat. But thanks for bookmarking my old quotes. <3

Reply #802195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Most likely it's somewhere between the two, however closer to the official NBL/Perth position if I'm being honest. I think hindsight shows that Sydney made the right decision, but whether they did it ENTIRELY for the right reasons is very debatable and it would be dishonest for me to claim otherwise."

Well said. Feels like Paul Smith is trying to claim credit, though.

Reply #802197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL's ownership group look like autocratic amateurs if Sydney's version is true."

I don't understand Sydney's gripe.

So let's say the NBL decided to make their own call, and say this is going to a best of 3, no discussions. This ends up being a result Sydney didn't want anyway.

But they'd be happy about it because the league chose the option rather than them having to decline it when it was offered?

Reply #802198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I guess the difference being that that was something that, you know, a fan did, not Jack Bendat"

What difference does that make? Tarring all fans with the same brush because one person did something bad is pretty stupid, regardless of it being another fan or a team owner.

Reply #802208 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I agree, maybe I shouldn't have said all fans - oh wait, I didn't. Nvm.

Reply #802225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never thought id care any less about the NBL and the NBA, yet here new are.

Perth won the thing. End of story.

Now stay home, stay safe.

Reply #802231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I never thought id care any less about the NBL and the NBA"

Then why did you come to hoops forum

Reply #802258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Smith continues to weigh in on anyone who "questioned the Kings' decision".

https://twitter.com/psmithtse/status/1246643492694048768

Reply #802496 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a sore loser.

Reply #802509 | Report this post

Jacon  
Years ago

Sore losers and very sore winners.

Reply #802519 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754