Anonymous
Years ago

Cotton opts out of Wildcats contract

Screenshotted tweet doing the rounds in the west that Cotton has advised he is opting out of his contract to do what's best for his family. Cats announcement to happen shortly is the word.

Topic #47185 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/29114780/perth-wildcats-bryce-cotton-opts-contract

Reply #804367 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun:

The reigning NBL MVP and Grand Final MVP informed the Wildcats of his decision on Thursday, citing the effects of the recent salary-cutting measures that were agreed on at the beginning of April.

Cotton's contract is above the $200,000 mark, so his salary for the 2020-21 NBL season would have been cut by 50 percent. The new agreement allowed players to opt out of their respective contract before May 4, with the Wildcats holding Cotton's domestic rights if he chose to return to play professionally in Australia for the upcoming season.

Reply #804368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay to follow, money is so crap now in nbl. There will be others.

Reply #804369 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Can anyone clarify how long Perth hold his domestic (NBL) rights?

E.g. Can he sign overseas, and if cut/contract terminated mid NBL season, can he sign with any team?

Reply #804370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tone of the message is that he won't be back, as he thanked fans for the past 3 and a half years.

Reply #804371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth own his nbl rights until end of 2021 season. We won't see him here for a year, if ever again. Europe / D League would be most likely destination(s)

Reply #804372 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Opting out itself is not really a big deal, and I'd expect plenty of others to be doing it too, but yeah the wording of his message makes it sound to me like he's already got something lined up

Reply #804373 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Confirmed by Olgun:

The Wildcats hold his rights just for the 2020-21 season. Part of those rights is that he can only return on the existing contract.

Reply #804374 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Still hoping his aussie citizenship comes through though!

Reply #804375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see where he goes given there doesn't appear to much certainty about plans for other leagues around the world at this stage either.

Reply #804376 | Report this post

ratpack  
Years ago

Could it be a way of nullifying the current contract, to then sign a new one that backloads the loss off season 20/21 into following seasons, to recoup the lost income?

Reply #804377 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, because they can't do that.

Reply #804378 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

He's signed in Italy with Basket Brescia Leonessa

Reply #804380 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

This is bad for the league. I wonder if it will affect his citizenship?

Reply #804381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunate not just for Perth but for the NBL .
Other players (high earners) will possibly do the same.

Reply #804382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope we see him as a Boomer.

Reply #804383 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's in the thick of the process of naturalising so he's likely opting out for a bigger payday this season and will probably come back to the NBL/Perth the season after once the salary restrictions have been lifted.

Reply #804384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is bad for the league after a few great years. I still don't understand why the league acted so fast to cut salaries. Bunnings and chemist warehouse are going gang busters.

Reply #804385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think you cam leave the country for any great length of time with out your application being delayed for citizenship, he has done the right thing by himself and his family.
At least Perth might be brought back to the field a bit.

If Cotton decides to come back to Australia half way through season and Perth don’t need him, is he free to join any team ????

Reply #804387 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

#804305 -

The league doesn't make money, it losses money. What is more relevant that a couple of sponsors balance sheets is the standings of the owners of the league and teams.

If we look at the 36ers ownership, Grant Kelley is the CEO of Vicinity shopping centers. They have taken an absolute hammering. Kestlemen owns a luxury property development company, I presume their bottom line will be impacted as well.

Reply #804388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping Perth miss the finals this year, mainly to see their fans try to put an asterisk on them ruining their finals streak by blaming COVID, just 12 months after claiming they won the 19/20 grand final fairly with no asterisk :D

Reply #804389 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Don't think you cam leave the country for any great length of time with out your application being delayed for citizenship

He can as the residency period was already met prior to application.

Reply #804390 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Oh dear. This is could be the early nail in the NBL coffin.

Reply #804391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's signed in Italy with Basket Brescia Leonessa"

Is this legit or are you making the same mistake a bunch of others did a while ago looking at old articles?

Reply #804392 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-mvp-bryce-cotton-confirms-shock-departure-from-nbl-ng-b881534328z

No paywall

Reply #804393 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The league is going to suck ass next year. I feel like they should call next season off or just run a bigger NBL1 for our local players and try figure it all out the year after.

Reply #804394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will there be any imports next season? I guess just the ones that are already here?

Reply #804395 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

^Cotton was already here and it didn't stop him leaving.

Reply #804396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't your residency period have to start after application and be continuous.

Reply #804398 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Perths starting 5 to look completely different if Damo retires...

PG - Norton
SG - import?
SF - import? (would White be returning?)
PF - Kay
C - Brandt perhaps?

I wouldnt think we will keep Plumlee having lost Cotton, we need to find buckets with Cotton leaving and wouldnt want to chew up an import slot on Plums.

Reply #804399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For residency you have previously had to stay for the entirety of the application phase. I'd say he has canned the idea. Making money whilst his body allows it. Hated Perth, loved him, wish him the very best! Will follow his career until it’s up now.

Reply #804401 | Report this post

*TimberBall*  
Years ago

As a Cats fan and an Australian basketball fan, this hurts. But I'm wondering if this is the leagues fault in bringing in the pay cuts, or was it each teams decision?

The Cats are one of the leagues wealthiest and with many reports saying that team income is based mainly around ticket sales, how are they effected? Mine, my families and I'd say most/all 13,000 members fees have already been paid...there aren't many tickets left.

So was it the leagues decision to cut salaries...or each teams?

Reply #804402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet Paul Smith is already into his 2nd bottle of champagne

Reply #804403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leagues decision, Perth and Sydney had the money to continue, it's the other sides that were going to struggle. Melbourne should have been fine but spent so much money trying to win that the bank ran dry, nothing saved for the covoid day.

Reply #804404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supporters of other NBL teams would be crazy to think some of their players won't do the same as Cotton.

Reply #804405 | Report this post

*TimberBall*  
Years ago

If Europe is playing and paying now, no top player will stay which will mean sponsors are going to pull out as well. I understand the league wanting to keep it equal but 3 good teams is better than 9 crap ones in the eyes of sponsors.

Reply #804406 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is a sad day for the NBL (and Perth) that a player of Cotton's calibre is leaving because of something out of anyone's hands.

The other 8 CEO's will be telling their players to stay because the Championship no longer goes through Perth.

Alternatively Cotton could be a guiding light out of the NBL if he shows there are other much better paying jobs out there for grabs.

Now if Kay goes, Martin goes, the Wildcats are basically doing a rebuild. 3 new imports, and 2 irreplaceable Australians.

Reply #804407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players wont care as much about where the championship goes through, as they will where the money comes from.

Reply #804409 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

In the Wildcats statement they pretty much say it's the league and players association fault.

Reply #804410 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"I understand the league wanting to keep it equal but 3 good teams is better than 9 crap ones in the eyes of sponsors"

Say's who? The league will still be talented and more even which should help lift crowds. Who generated more league interest Cotton or Ball?

Reply #804413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Lovebroker but each team will have two imports this season.

The NBL in general will take a few steps back.

Will we see a reduced season e.g. 16-20 games if season starts later than October.

Reply #804414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most clubs will see roster overhauls.

Reply #804415 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Well Brunson, considering Cotton won't be here and the NBA has all but shut the door on Next Stars...I think the things aren't looking great. And 'More talanted'? From where? Development players stepping up?

Just because a league is even doesn't mean it's worth watching. The VFL and WAFL are pretty even, just ask the 25 people that go and watch. The NBL1 is pretty even, maybe...who knows because it's a no talent league which no one watches.

Stars bring sponsors and fans, if the kings don't bring back their 9 imports how many fans do you think are buying memberships?

Reply #804416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has completely fucked itself with this pay cut. It's also unnecessary at this stage with the season so far away still. The NBL may end up not being impacted too much by Corona virus. The loss of star players is going to have a bigger impact than the virus, lots of fans and sponsors will walk away now with no drawcard players.

Reply #804417 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Players come and go and the sport/league is bigger than any one player.

Each player has the right to choose their own path and while he played a very good game and was a very good player, it just means that there is an opportunity for someone else to fill those shoes.

As far as Perth are concerned, I think we all saw how vulnerable Perth were/are without Damien Martyn direction traffic. He had a spell on the sidelines last season and if you compared the performance of Perth without him vs with him, there's quite a gap that should be concerning Perth fans if he is to hang up the boots and not feature in NBL 21.

With the NBL, I think NBL21 will be different to NBL20, but as far as it being worse, we don't know yet. There's a saying that of the things you worry about, only 50% actually happen, then
of the stuff that does happen, 40% happens with no or less desirable consequences than people worry about, then 5% happens with the consequences people worry about and 5% is worse. So, we worry 90% over nothing.

The NBL20 season set the benchmark moving forward, strong crowds, exciting games, exciting finish to the minor rounds, games being stopped due to a leaking roof, excitement on and off the court, new team. Funny end to the season. There was a lot to pack in and keep the crowds happy.

NBL21 should start in October, but there are plans if it doesn't and a shorter season in length, but I suspect the same games would occur. I wonder if we would see a lot more double headers to fit them all in. The only real unknown is the spectator aspect which is out of the NBL's control and the government will have a policy in place by then I would expect.

With crowds, I would not be surprised if there are a couple of key changes in government policy. The first is HVAC (air conditioning). There's concerns that any viruses could travel and be spread using air conditioning. There are rules regarding air circulation times so don't be surprised if indoor stadiums might need some UV sterilisation of the air going back into the stadium. Secondly, I think you'll find the hygiene standards of stadiums will increase dramatically with an increased requirement to keep toilets areas clean, food areas clean, etc etc, including lots of hand sanitiser stations. Lots more cleaners etc. Thirdly, don't be surprised if we see thermal cameras on entry points to scan for potential sick people and fo security to subtlely take these people aside. With the Covid19 Ap it will be easier to monitor people as well. So a few things to keep spectators, and more importantly, players safe. The sport needs crowds as empty stadiums are pretty boring...however, all those safety measures will mean that the stadium owners will have to charge more per game night.

I think it'll be just a good as NBL20 and hey, remember we have the Tassie team returning in NBL22, no doubt the double headers will be popular down there.

Reply #804418 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Huge blow for the league, but i can't imagine he would jeopardise his citizenship application considering he has an Aussie partner and child.

Secondly, he would be well aware that being a citizen allows him to play professionally in Australia until his late 30's (probably an extra 6 years that he wouldn't get as an import)

Should still be eligible for the Boomers come 2021.

Reply #804420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The other 8 CEO's will be telling their players to stay because the Championship no longer goes through Perth."

Telling their players? You think a CEO is going to *tell* a player to take a 50% pay cut and stay put just so they can win a title?

Reply #804421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will see a few of last seasons 200K + club take their talents elsewhere.

Reply #804422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton says he's doing the right thing by his family and he is, his citizenship is done at this stage. Re playing in Australia till his late thirties he still can as an import though he can still start again for citizenship later as he’s only 29.

Reply #804423 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Good time for a clean out, get some more serious ex-NBA talent into the lineup and charge again.

Reply #804424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is 27.
He will be back as a wildcat it might just take 2 or 3 years.

Reply #804425 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's sad. It's always sad to see a favourite player leave, especially when he looked to be here for the long term.

As has been said, the opting-out itself isn't a problem, but the language suggest he already has better offers in place.
It's not hard to imagine. He's the reigning MVP, champion, and finals MVP. Even at the best of time he'd be getting slightly better offers o/s, and now with the 50% ay cut, its inevitable.
The world's not going back to normal, and I think many leagues and teams will struggle, but for a top player like Cotton I guess there are still options out there.

Yes, the league has acted very quickly on the salary cuts, especially when things are so uncertain, and I think the May opt-out deadline may have been a little early. But, it's much fairer to do it this way, rather than waiting until next season has almost started before pulling the rug.

I'm not clear exactly how this works. Have they imposed a salary-cap?
Otherwise I'm not sure how you can insist that contracted players take pay-cuts, whilst free-agents and new players are free to negotiate.

Cotton's spouse and child are Australian, so I imagine he can still progress his application for Citizenship. However it will nolonger be a priority for BBall purposes.

Obviously other players will be similarly effected, but it remains to be seen how many will get better offers elsewhere.

Still far too much uncertainty to predict

Reply #804426 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I just noticed it showed up in the ABC's daily coronavirus blog so at least the league got some exposure................right??

Reply #804427 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

A sad day for the NBL. I cant help but think the NBL made the decision to cut wages so drastically too soon. The pandemic is changing on a daily basis and who knows what the situation will be by October or if they decide to delay the season until December it could be deemed safe by then to have crowds.

Its possible Cotton could be back again after playing elsewhere to make up for lost earnings. But i agree with comments above that in his statement it sounds like he wont be back.

I cant see caspar ware and hopson and the like playing NBL next season either. Its so disappointing to lose great payers especially after one of the best seasons i can remember.

Which other players have opted out of their contract so far?

Reply #804428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will it be better to be a free agent?
Player X earnt $250K at club A .
Asked to take 50% pay cut so would earn $125K.
Could go to club B and get closer to the original $250K.

Reply #804429 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Timberland

My point was ball brought in more publicity than the big 3 teams which is a fact.

I wasn't saying there would be more talent. I was saying the league would be more even. These are the cards the league have been given.

A league averaged more fans than NBL. I imagine they got more fans watching it at home also so a pretty poor point from you. The second tier leagues will always be small. They get people like Mitch Creek, Sobey and other NBL players playing for them, they don't all of a sudden get 5000 attending the games.

Would sponsors at other clubs enjoy watching their team get pummeled and having another losing season? I am sure they would love that. They are less inclined to put their money in if their team isn't competitive.

Reply #804430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The pandemic is changing on a daily basis and who knows what the situation will be by October"

koberulz knows

Reply #804432 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Brunson,

Never mentioned the A League...but good reading by you. The local IGA that sponsors the Taipans prob wouldnt like sponsoring them if they got pummeled every week, though they did for years.

The league was better last year because better talent was spread across the the league making it more even. If we lose the top guys the second their guys won't step up, the league will step back to meet them.

The sponsors I'm talking about are the big league ones (Bunnings, Chemist warehouse etc) who won't want to put their name to an inferior product.

If we lose our top players to Europe etc...we are a second tier league.

Reply #804434 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

And the league wasn't 'given these cards'... they hand picked them out of the deck by making league wide pay cuts 7 months before the season started.

Reply #804435 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why are people acting like a) NBL clubs can't possibly be losing money right now despite teams owners' other businesses taking hits and membership renewals presumably hitting record lows and b) there isn't a review in three months to reassess the salary situation?

Better to cut it too far now and adjust back up later than to suddenly find yourself with no money in six months.

Reply #804437 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha ^

NBL is in a decent position - numero uno - they don't have to make many decisions before July.

Between now and end of July, if they're hoping for an end of October start, that's plenty of time to see how things shape up.

By three weeks' time, mid may, we will have a picture of how places have faired with social distancing. SA is on track to have no (known) cases by then. By then nationally, if we have less than 500 active cases, it's a trackable number that gives us a good chance to avoid a second spike.

By start of July, it could be the case that 1) SA has no cases and more confident of avoiding a second spike if nothing pops up over the course the 4 weeks between June-July; 2) Tas, NZ & WA finds itself in a similar position; 3) East coast starts to get well on top of it.

If I was the NBL, i'd look at:
1) Having 32 games played to try to get that revenue back
2) Front load the schedule in SA, WA, NZ and perhaps Tasmania to house some Hawks games - should these places be safe enough for crowds
3) Have all 9 teams limiting travel, play out half of their series at once in those locations
4) Hopefully by July/August there will be a more definitive position re imports and Government stance, it may well be some imports can fly over if placed in isolation for 3 weeks

Reply #804438 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They definitely panicked and made a rushed decision - October/November/December is a long time away;

It's even more bizarre given our relative strength of position with Covid-19 versus the countries where we would likely lose guys to (Spain/Italy etc. are dire right now).

It's a bit of a win-win for Cotton isn't it?

Either Europe is OK come winter, leagues resume and he gets a nice paying gig in Spain/Italy (as bad as those countries are right now economically and with Covid-19 nothing would surprise me if he did); OR he returns to the Wildcats for next season on his reduced contract as a Plan B (Perth will move heaven and earth to accommodate him).

Reply #804440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 9 Perth news said that he was on a $600,000 deal. Surely that makes him the highest paid player in the league. Losing half of that makes it very understandable why you want to leave

Reply #804441 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Casper was reportedly on 800k

Reply #804442 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And Bogut was reportedly on $1 million a year. Would Bogut bother to go around again for $500k? Maybe not.

I can understand Cotton moving on from $300k to stay on next season.

Reply #804443 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I don't know if any of these pay cuts are for the entire season. Other codes are only doing pay cuts until season restarts.

Reply #804444 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Have to assume there is a salary cap? Rumoured to be $700k???
Maybe with existing adjusted contracts grandfathered??

It that is so, then no it wouldn't be better to be a free agent. Guys who were hoping for a big NBL pay-rise next season, could be left struggling.

It will be interesting to see what Cotton has lined up. I suspect that this may simply have brought forward his move by a year.
Had he played out the final year of his contract, at a similar level, it would be hard to see him not getting much better offers elsewhere.

My understanding is that he was on $500k. But whether it was 5 or 6, a 50% paycut is a kick in the balls, especially if he can get a million bucks or more elsewhere.

Reply #804445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut salary would have been as a marquee player, Cotton as well you would think. I don't understand it but I believe the salary cap stays the same but if you sign a player for $100g his cap value is $200g, as I said I could not follow the thinking or how it was explained to me.

Reply #804447 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Either I'm missing something or this is the worst deal in history (insert Trump meme). Why would the players association agree to a pay cut on an uninteruppted season.

The way I understood it, players would take the pay cut for as long as the season was on hold, which is now as they can't train and they get paid during off season as well. If/when the season resumes they return to their regular salary amount.

Reply #804448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timberball the season isn't starting in October with crowds. Nbl doesn’t have a tv deal. No crowds, no money. You’re a bit simple aren’t you.

Reply #804449 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bogut salary would have been as a marquee player, Cotton as well you would think.
Cotton can't be a marquee player.

Reply #804450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I cant get my head around why you would go to Europe in this climate? Most of Europe has been decimated by COVID-19, You might find some $$ (if you're lucky) but you are exposing your family to terrible health systems and countries who have shown they cannot control the virus. Doesn't seem like a smart family move to me.

Reply #804451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe will be fine, it's not a third world country, you be off there than USA where medical cost are extreme.

Reply #804452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Europe will be fine, it's not a third world country"

Its not a country.

Also, the point was that large parts of it have been affected by COVID, much more than Australia. The health care costs aren't the issue, its the likelihood of actually getting it.

Reply #804453 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Nothing confirmed about crowds being allowed or not allowed for October yet. So either you are Scott Morrison and letting out a secret...or you are a try hard know it all who really knows fuck all, I'm thinking it's the latter.

Why would the players agree to drop their salaries by so much if there is even a chance of an uninterrupted season?

Reply #804454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe has not been "decimated"... Over 25,000 deaths in countries like Italy or France is a lot and certainly sad, but it's still a small proportion of the population!

Reply #804455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL on route to be the least effected sport by COVID-19 but most effected by COVID-19

Reply #804457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#455 cool lets allow another 100,000 to die. Nice job

Reply #804458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timberball, put 30 April in your diary chump. The NBL will not start first week in October with crowds as per every other season. The NBL can't operate without crowds so even a simpleton like you should be able to work out the season will start late and it will not start until crowds can attend. This may look like a spare seat between fans etc etc. So maybe stop being a toss bag and actually use some small amount of commonsense

Reply #804459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's next, Casper, Kay, Oliver, Hopson, McCarron, take your pick.

Reply #804460 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't understand it but I believe the salary cap stays the same

Currently there is no overall cap, only the bench cap, and a soft cap with a supertax for clubs that go over.

That must change to a hard cap, otherwise its a pointless farce. We would lose Cotton because his salary goes from $500k to $250k, but could then offer Machado or a new import $600k

And yes, Cotton would have become a marquee once naturalised, but that only effects the supertax, not the actual salary.

Reply #804461 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I imagine all of the Sydney Kings stars will be opting out?
Supposedly they were all playing for low 200's, so that will be cut to low 100's.

Bogut won't be affected, cos he was playing for love.

Reply #804462 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Yeh see ya mate

Reply #804463 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Plumless will be interesting.
He seemed genuinely chuffed to be in Perth rather than China when the shit hit the fan
and he doesn't need the money.

Reply #804464 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Cool anonytroll, thanks for the tip, if you can look into that crystal ball and tell us something useful like the lotto numbers for a draw in 6 months time that would be awesome.

6 months is a long time away and a lot can change in that time. 5 days ago LK said that he was still hopeful of crowds in October. Unless it is said officially there is little use in speculation.

Reply #804465 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Anonytrolls try to help but really they do not.
Hoping too Dazz that Plumlee stays for love and not money though he has plenty of the latter.

Reply #804466 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cotton says he's doing the right thing by his family and he is, his citizenship is done at this stage.

Incorrect. He has already qualified in terms of residency period requirement which allowed him to apply for citizenship in the first place. It's just a formality now as the bureaucracy involved is extremely slow in processing paperwork. You can be out of the country while this takes place.

Reply #804468 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think they meant "done" as in "completed", not as in "ended".

Reply #804469 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

On re-reading it you're right.

There were two other posts I should've quoted instead which claimed otherwise (#398 and #401 above).

Reply #804470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton should sign with philly to get used to playing next to Simmons

Reply #804471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bogut won't be affected, cos he was playing for love.“

No that's just what Perth fans think Perth players do. Reality is that Perth has the highest player spending this year.

Reply #804472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough why take a 50% pay cut when Euro ball will pay him significantly more!

Reply #804478 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

It will be good to see the playing field more even with Cotton oping out. If the Breakers can get their full kiwi squad back, they will definitely win the championship.

Sucks how New Zealand have one team still.

Reply #804480 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

2 issues with above:

1. Very surprised that of all destinations, Italy was the choice. With the virus apparently making a come back there, can't be the right option for "best for me and my family" (post '451 says it all. Well said, anon).

2. "Tassie team returning in NBL22, no doubt the double headers will be popular down there." - Tsk tsk!

Reply #804481 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

He can't get his job keeper payments now

Reply #804482 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

NBL peaked 2019/20 and will never be as good.

Reply #804484 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I think the only person that's said hes going to Italy is a Hoops poster.

Its possible he hasn't got anything lined up yet and is exploring the market. He wont have any trouble getting a gig that pays a lot more.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up when things settle down globally.

Reply #804485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/nbl/perth-hold-priority-if-bryce-cotton-comes-back-to-the-nbl-but-only-if-the-wildcats-re-sign-him-ng-b881534773z

Can anyone copy and paste this? don't have a subscription

Reply #804486 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I don't agree that its good for an even playing field with Cotton leaving. You don't want to lose such talent from any team, you want every team to have a Cotton.
Plus it's not like the Wildcats were killing it last year. Cairns and Sydney both had their measure a couple of times during the year and in finals.

Reply #804487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even playing field is certainly not a priority in the big euro basketball and football leagues, it's about passion and following your team. Nbl shot themselves in both feet.

Reply #804489 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Talent like Cotton leaving is never good.

Is what it is.

Reply #804490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we simply don't have the money and won't in the near term as the biggest league revenue stream will be reduced or non existant (crowds) next season.

We have to accept that the NBL with basically be NBL1+ next year and perhaps even the season after.

Reply #804491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No that's just what Perth fans think Perth players do. Reality is that Perth has the highest player spending this year."

Sydney spent $4m this year on their roster, no one was close to them.

Reply #804492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't there be reduced money in other leagues around the world too? Having said that, maybe it won't be 50% less and their starting point is higher too.

Reply #804493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian dollar is shit, if he does want to stay in Australia in the future, going overseas and getting even reduced money compared to usual, when it converts into Australian dollar it more than makes up for itself in terms of an overseas paycut.

Reply #804496 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No, its not all doom and gloom.
Frankly, the biggest issues are around whether we have a competition at all and whether crowds are allowed in.
We will lose a few players, and we'll replace them, like we do every season.
Losing Cotton is sad, but its not like the replacements will be total crabs.

Have to keep in mind that at this time, leagues, teams, and players are trying to PREDICT where we'll be in 6 months time, and manage the risks accordingly.
As we have all discussed, in terms of physical recovery, Australia would appear to be ahead of the world. So yes, there's still an outside chance that we could have a league whilst most of the world is still in lockdown. And who knows, maybe the NBL can sell their broadcasts all over the world because we're the only league playing? LOL.
But once leagues start to get back up and running, those with lucrative TV deals in place will be the winners.
And with that in mind, I imagine the moguls in Europe are making all kinds of contingency plans.

My gut feel is that on average there will be less money everywhere, that on average the NBL will be no worse off, and in fact better off than some leagues. But clearly there are some leagues and clubs that will be cashed up and looking to make the most of the opportunity.
So I don't think we're going to see a wholesale pillaging of the NBL, but players at the very top end, like Cotton, will be highly sought

Reply #804501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has the most expensive roster re Cotton leaving and Kay to follow. Cotton on his own was worth more than the kings imports Tate and Taylor. Casper was on good money but no more than Bryce and Casper probably not back either.

Reply #804503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cotton on his own was worth more than the kings imports Tate and Taylor"

Hahahaha what? How is that meant to be any sort of relevant comparison?

Reply #804505 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This will be a big test for the Wildcats and Gleeson.

If he can win again with such a change of personnel, he could be considered one of the best coaches in NBL history.

He has had the luxury of Cotton for 4 seasons and structured the offence around him, unless he finds a like for like, the schemes will have to change (more so if Kay, Martin, Steindl depart).

Next season everyone is getting pegged down to Illawarra and Cairns level spending, so there are no favourites.

Reply #804506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCoepXmtFvA

Press conference from Trevor Gleeson on Bryce Cotton's departure and a few other tidbits.

Reply #804508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He already is considered one of the best coaches in history.

Reply #804510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's relevant because Perth win championships and deserve to but they don’t come cheap and Perth budget is higher than all. I don’t have a problem with it except that Perth supporters think there players play for cheap wages.

Reply #804513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one thinks Perth players play for cheap wages. They just think it's less than Sydney's was this year.

Reply #804514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparing a highly paid import from one team to two random imports in another team isn't relevant at all. It's idiotic.

Perth didn't have two players on their roster earning more than Ware and Bogut combined.

Reply #804519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne had the highest wages this last season. White was earning a bomb in South Korea, was the mvp and left there to join the cats, him and Cotton are on huge coin. Kay and Norton went as package the season before and United didn't go near the Perth offer.

Reply #804524 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" No one thinks Perth players play for cheap wages"

I dunno there's definitely some people on here who think that.

Many of those view Perth as having a cheaper roster than Adelaide.

One might say it was trolling to rile people up, but really more of a trump vibe - saying something stupid > say it’s sarcasm > then posit “ it could be true tho”

Reply #804526 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

If Cotton was to become naturalised, would his contract need to change to reflect this or does it stay the same? Surely a contract would read differently for an import and a local player?

Reply #804529 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I like your thinking - now that would be a handy loophole.

Reply #804530 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

That's what I was thinking. Weird how last week Cotton was talking about something big was in the works on his Insta.

Reply #804532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would it?

Reply #804533 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Why would it?"

Well that's why I'm asking, do you know for certain it doesn't change?

Reply #804535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I dunno there's definitely some people on here who think that.

Many of those view Perth as having a cheaper roster than Adelaide."

I've never seen anyone say that Perth has a cheap roster or that Perth spends less than Adelaide. Any mention of Perth is usually in context in comparison to big off-season recruiters in Melbourne and Sydney.

Reply #804537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton's opting out is different to the "big announcement" he's been teasing. He clarified this himself on IG.

Intersting thought on citizenship and how that would effect his contract. This didn't cross my mind. would there be a new loop hole?

Reply #804538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If China hadn't been such c#@nts and created the whole Covid19 disaster, would have been great place to go full out to impress and promote NBL there. But hopefully the world can unite and fully crack the shits with them. Only problems are is that they own most of the world and Trump will probably start a nuclear war against them and North Korea. Between that and Covid19, NBL1 Central might end up being one of best leagues in the world!

Reply #804541 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Homicide is pretty sure Cotton is going to the NBA...

Reply #804542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is pretty sure water is wet, wtf would he know?

Reply #804544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, this has never happened before, great NBL player leaves for more money overseas. Unprecedented. Seriously, get over it already.

Reply #804546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watched the presser. Trev cracks the sads because richer teams outbid him for his BFF. Boo fucking hoo.

Reply #804547 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Just watched the presser.
Trev cracks the sads because richer teams outbid him for his BFF. Boo fucking hoo.

So, you didn't actually watch the press conference...

Nothing in that could possibly be interpreted as Trev cracking the sads that we were outbid. In fact he was completely supportive of Bryce and his decision.

He simply reiterated that the Wildcats did not agree with the mandatory pay-cuts, and have been the hardest hit with 7 players under contract.

As I said from the outset, some form of capping was necessary for next season, to ensure a balanced comp. I can only assume that they are reintroducing a hard salary cap, otherwise the pay-cut measure makes no sense.

Reply #804549 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's weird that there has been a lot of speculation in the local media that Cotton will somehow stay...
But from what Bryce and Trev said, it appears clear he already has other offers on the table.

Reply #804550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those offers have to be from leagues that actually end up playing, though, and who knows what will happen on that front.

Reply #804551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings didn't want a cut either. Yes a reduction might be required but they jumped the gun. It should have been a percentage drop equal to all players as well.

Reply #804552 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If you can't beat them on the court gut their squad by enacting drastic and premature cuts. Thanks NBL.

Reply #804554 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its almost like there is a points cap again. Lets make it an even and mediocre league.

Reply #804556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just watched the presser. Trev cracks the sads because richer teams outbid him for his BFF. Boo fucking hoo."

No he didn't.

Reply #804559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev is shit scared of having to win games by coaching well rather than buying up all the best players

Reply #804561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true. Even said in his presser he was "lucky" to get Bryce. I remember the year he came in everyone was cheering the fact the Wildcats were the BOTTOM OF THE LADDER!! they all forget that. That had two imports come and go. All the controversy with Andre Ingram. Then Cotton comes in, saves the season and they win the championship.

Reply #804564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats spent the second highest in luxury tax this season. Melbourne was first, Sydney was third. So Wildcats got no problem spending big

Reply #804565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they were BOTTOM OF THE LADDER but the season was that close that only two rounds later they were sitting second. Two rounds prior to being bottom, they were in the top four and had been all season. So they certainly weren't the worst team in the league up until that point.

Reply #804566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats spent the second highest in luxury tax this season. Melbourne was first, Sydney was third"

You completely made that up.

Reply #804567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ true. those working in the Nbl with the number know this as truth

Reply #804568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's the truth, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, any one who has little inside knowledge now knows it. Adelaide were four and Illawarra last.

Reply #804569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't work in the NBL though.

Reply #804571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes I do

Reply #804572 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Lol. Of course you do.

Reply #804573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is getting off topic, but when talking about relative spend, people forget a few things.
> Yes, Perth is obviously one of the big spenders, but they still work to a budget, and aim to at least break-even.
> Playing in Grand Finals (without fekking covid) gives you more money to spend,, and Perth have played in 8 of the last 10.
> Perth usually tries to target players that value team-success and are likely to want to stay in Perth. They did NOT outbid other teams for Kay, and why would they. They matched the best offer and let him choose.
> Not all their players or even imports are super-stars. White earned a pay-bump to return, but originally was on average pay for an import. Guys like Hunt were from the bargain bin, and even Plumlee came comparatively cheap because he wanted out of China and was happy to get a gig.
Even Cotton was not on super-star money in that first part season. That's why he wasn't expected back, until Perth found the money to re-sign him.

Reply #804577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes they were BOTTOM OF THE LADDER but the season was that close that only two rounds later they were sitting second. Two rounds prior to being bottom, they were in the top four and had been all season. So they certainly weren't the worst team in the league up until that point."

I'm glad someone pointed this out! They were top four in 9 of the 12 weeks before Cotton arrived.

Reply #804579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They did NOT outbid other teams for Kay, and why would they. They matched the best offer and let him choose."

Ask Dean Vickerman - they 100% outbid Melbourne for Nick Kay, making Nick Kay Perth's marquee player

Reply #804602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"> Not all their players or even imports are super-stars. White earned a pay-bump to return, but originally was on average pay for an import. Guys like Hunt were from the bargain bin, and even Plumlee came comparatively cheap because he wanted out of China and was happy to get a gig.
Even Cotton was not on super-star money in that first part season. That's why he wasn't expected back, until Perth found the money to re-sign him"

Must be from Perth - so disconnected from the real world

Reply #804603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They found the money because they low-balled Prather, expecting him to crawl back and play for pennies on the dollar. Melbourne got him for less than Perth low balled him for, and won the title with that move.

Reply #804605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dreaming.
Ask him.
Made double.

Reply #804608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne got him for less than Perth low balled him for, and won the title with that move."

Perth must have been pissed they didn't win five titles in a row!

Reply #804613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth won a title when Adelaide choked to Illawarra in the semi a few years back. Adelaide were tar and away the best team that season except for that choke.

Reply #804616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's nice.

Reply #804617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide can never win when it matters. All show no go, just like their country 'city'

Reply #804623 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Perth won a title when Adelaide choked to Illawarra in the semi a few years back. Adelaide were tar and away the best team that season except for that choke.

Perth won it on their own merits. but Adelaide seriously did fall to pieces in a manner I have never seen before.

In that Game 3 Ogilvy went down with injury in Q1 and didn't play rest of the game, Marvelle Harris was in the US for family matters, we had a full squad and home court and we managed to F it up royal.

Reply #804629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide had Perth's measure all season, it was a choke and Bevo was to good on the sidelines.

Reply #804630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok people need to calm down about someone opting out of there contact as free agency has been pushed back another month and also the international boards are still closed. The NBL has F up with the players as they are still on off season and they don't know when the boards are going to open up. What they have put to the players at the moment is bullshit. He has done a smart business move in opting out and there will be other players as well. The national boarders will open before the international ones. It now has allowed doom of these players to renegotiate there contracts and with someone like Bryce who could be about to becomes Australian citizen it could be a good option for him.

Reply #804636 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"ink you'll find the hygiene standards of stadiums will increase dramatically with an increased requirement to keep toilets areas clean, food areas clean, etc etc, including lots of hand sanitiser stations. "

Isn't pay wave the safest payment system? Will Adelaide even have EFTPOS?

Important consideration

Reply #804928 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Will Adelaide even have EFTPOS?

Adelaide Entertainment Centre is cashless isn't it?

Reply #804929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so are the illawarra hawks

Reply #804933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cottons wage is supposed to be 600g, wouldn't he be a marquee and so only 100g go towards the cap to allow the cats to only take 30% of his 600g.
You would think it’s the same with Bogut, if not and he is getting the supposed million and his whole wage comes off the cap there would be only 400g left for the rest of the team.
This would be the same for all teams marquee players, Creek, Goulding, etc. and since teams are allowed two marquee at different levels of deductions on the cap, do the marquee players lose 50% of there wage or just the percentage that is allowed in the cap.

Reply #805131 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's not how any of this works.

Reply #805140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does it work then. You seem to have the ear of nbl or work for them.

Reply #805143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marquees can only be non restricted players. They will lose 50% of their salary. The marquee classification applies only to the application of a cap of their salary to the total amount used for luxury tax calculations.

And there can be up to 4 marquee players per team. After the first marquee, the remaining three can be either marquee or imports. For the upcoming season there's only 2 imports allowed but the 4 marquee spots remain.

Reply #805146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Goulding to Perth as a marquee could happen! Fingers crossed!

Reply #805147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So Goulding to Perth as a marquee could happen! Fingers crossed!"

Not sure if you're a Perth fan, or a Melbourne fan wanting to see the back of him!

Reply #805151 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How does it work then. You seem to have the ear of nbl or work for them.
I love that articles published on the NBL's website are now somehow considered super-secret insider information.

Reply #805183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panathinaikos me thinks.

Reply #805204 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

So Goulding to Perth as a marquee could happen! Fingers crossed!

You must really hate Perth.

Reply #805206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CG43 hates the MU coach so wasn't ever keen to come back

Reply #805226 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Didn't the imports not see eye to eye with the coach either?

Reply #805270 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Maybe he would like it better under Conor Henry?

Reply #805274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm he has already played for Connor before and maybe he liked it

Reply #805278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

actually he left Perth after Connor got sacked. coincidence?

Reply #805279 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes as from memory CG43's one season Perth pit stop was after the Bullets collapsed.

Reply #805280 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

^ Err delete that

Reply #805348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind Goulding at Perth if only for a season.
Don't think he would go there unfortunately.

Perth's roster currently,
Norton
Wani Swaka Lo Buluk
Travers
Wagstaff
Steindl
Majok Majok.

Room for two imports but the two remaining local spots would have to be starter quality based on who is signed currently.

Reply #805367 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No thanks

Reply #805371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps you are right Luc how about Norton playing alongside an import combo guard.

Reply #805375 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Would want to be a bloody good import combo guard.

In all seriousness I guess it depends on how desperate the club is to maintain the playoff streak and if they're willing to compromise their usual policies to do it.
If a season happens and it's without Cotton & Kay here then we're pretty screwed.
In addition to a top import we'd need a very good aussie. Which Goulding is. But he isn't the type of player we'd normally recruit.
I'll cheer him if he puts the red jersey back on but hopefully we're looking at other players first, with a longer term view.

Reply #805376 | Report this post

BC_GOAT  
Years ago

Little Birdy says Cotton to re-sign with the Wildcats soon.

Reply #805691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope so.
Perth are yet to threepeat.

Reply #805695 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well if someone on this forum said it, it must be true.

Reply #805696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/10newsfirstper/status/1260877683933753344?s=21

Perth proving what I've been saying all along - they spend more than anyone else

Reply #805763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, it's well known.

Reply #805765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney had two players that earned more than Cotton last season.

Reply #805767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth second highest spenders in luxury tax, only behind melbourne

Reply #805768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The news segment clearly stated they are going to spend more. So yes Perth spend more than everyone else on a guy who was already on $600,000. That number was reported by your own Lachy Reid

Reply #805769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth new big ballers spending that Bendat-China money !!

Reply #805770 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha grouping Adelaide as spenders with Sydney Melbourne Perth is a total pisstake.

It's like comparing a castle to a run down camper van

Reply #805771 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Fiat

Reply #805772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't spend as much but they were next best. Sixers had a lot average players over paid.

Reply #805775 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Seems like a fluff piece as how can we compete with the overseas under these new draconian NBL restrictions?

I'm surprised people are buying Cotton's shirts.

Reply #805781 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If he gets his citizenship, Perth can sign him for double what he was on last year - meaning he earns what he would have anyway - and it won't cost the Wildcats a single penny more.

Reply #805782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the rules around marquee players and NS players counting towards the cap, and if they pay luxury tax or not?

Reply #805784 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Exactly the same as they were before: NS don't count at all, marquee players only count up to a certain number that depends on the salary cap for that season and how many marquee players a team has.

Reply #805785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So its possible that Perth spent more than Sydney in luxury tax, even if Sydney had assembled a more expensive roster, which they almost certainly did with four imports, one of which the league paid for.

Reply #805790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney didn't have four imports. But let’s play your game, if you add up all the total games played by Sydney’s 3 imports and and Next star, with all the injuries it totals less than the 4 imports Perth played last season.

Perth REFUSED the next star, they were offered Hampton and the like and clearly rejected the nbls proposal

Reply #805794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth paid more. Paid out Dario hunt the remaining season because he went past the 8 game threshold. And they brought Plumlee in for $100,000 for a handful of games.
Perth bought this years championship*

Reply #805796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seems like a fluff piece as how can we compete with the overseas under these new draconian NBL restrictions?"

Sign a new multi-year contract with NBL approved amount for this coming season and back-end the bulk of payments into the following years.

Reply #805798 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Injury players don't count against salary. Think games missed by bogut, lisch, moller.

Reply #805799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sydney didn't have four imports."

Yes they did.

" But let's play your game, if you add up all the total games played by Sydney’s 3 imports and and Next star, with all the injuries it totals less than the 4 imports Perth played last season."

So what?

Reply #805801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point I am making is that paying the most luxury tax is not necessarily indicative of having the highest combined salaries. If Sydney threw over a mill at Bogut, but only a certain portion contributed to their salary cap, then its likely they still spent more on their roster.

Reply #805803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth had 4 imports
Sydney has 3 imports and a next star

Reply #805804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perf win and still get so butt hurt

Reply #805805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same clowns here saying Sydney had 4 imports are also the ones wanting Cotton to become Aussie so they can pay him bucket loads and then get more imports. Then turn around and explain to the world how they all play for free and love perf blah blah til they blue in the face.

Reply #805806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone has ever suggested Perth players pay for free. That trope is getting a little tiring.

Reply #805808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They carry on like they take pay cuts to play there.

Reply #805810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has said that either.

Reply #805819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of these comments come from 10 time champion Perth wildcat haters.

Reply #805820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They take a snippet of info and runaway with it. Eg Kay signing with Perth instead of Melbourne suddenly becomes Perth outspent Melbourne because they laid overs for Kay, but it's doesn't take into account that Perth had Knight coming off the books and Melbourne had a stacked roster and a logjam at the PF spot already after they won a title.

Reply #805826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope.. knight retired the year before.
They had walker at PF, got swept by Adelaide so spent BIG on getting Kay because they can't win unless they poach players by spending more than everyone else

Reply #805827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans are good at using the trump play book, just crap on if it were true.

Reply #805829 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We're going to Make Wildcats Great Again with Cotton's re-signing.

Reply #805830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nope.. knight retired the year before."

No he didn't.

Reply #805832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he did

Reply #805842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Retired in November 2017. Went with what they had a realized it wasn't enough. Threw the bank at Nick Kay to make sure they bought themselves a championship

Reply #805843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans stupid they forget the things that don't argue in their favor.

Reply #805844 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Threw the bank at Nick Kay to make sure they bought themselves a championship

What in your mind doesn't constitute buying a championship?

Which Championship is an example of one that is not bought?

I'm interested to know where the line is drawn because everyone wants to recruit well and most of the time pay to do so.

Let's not count the Wildcats for now, were the NZ Breakers championships bought?

Reply #805845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone buys championships. This is a dig at Perth fans who claim Sydney tried to buy and championship but yet fail to realise they do the same. And in fact worse than most.

Reply #805846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans never let facts get in the way of an argument

Reply #805847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt was on 250,000 before they released him and gave Plumlee $150,000. Cairns didn't even pay half that for Oliver

Reply #805848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering that Bevo was going to give Kay top import dollars and Kay said he wanted to stay only to sign with Perth a few days later and not speak to Bevo, I'd say that goes towards buying a premiership. No Kay no premierships.

Reply #805849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay was on $160000 as a marquee, Cotton on $50K per month

Reply #805850 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There are two ways to spend money to build a top team and a dynasty.

Bendat bought the Wildcats in 2007 and built it up organically by increasing demand for the product until the 4,500 Challenge Stadium was sold out for every game before the move to Perth Arena in 2012. During this time profits were made and reinvested during the lower salary cap era. The club is self-sufficient with 10,000+ members. Perth are at worst breaking even.

Meanwhile at the Kings you have AEG and later on Paul Smith join them and in their four and one years respectively try to win by throwing money around like crazy. Bogut on $1mil and a billboard advertising campaign costing $1mil alone this season is unsustainable. They have accrued millions in losses and will get tired of it soon and move on. Luckily they didn't win this season as these type of owners get bored quickly after winning a title as their ego has been validated. They will be around in the short term but eventually will bail. Having a drawcard like Bogut and a top of the ladder team still had them with the problem of resorting go offering massively discounted or free children's tickets to dress up crowd figures. Sydney are at best losing only seven figures, not eight.

Reply #805851 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The above was a response to this:

Everyone buys championships. This is a dig at Perth fans who claim Sydney tried to buy and championship but yet fail to realise they do the same. And in fact worse than most.

Reply #805852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ exactly my point. Perth fans thinking the advertising around Perth must be free or discounted?

Jack has given enough money to sustain the wildcats for three years, that's year one down. If you don’t get yourself a new jack bendat watch you guys quickly become less "organic" flog

Reply #805853 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Considering that Bevo was going to give Kay top import dollars and Kay said he wanted to stay only to sign with Perth a few days later and not speak to Bevo, I'd say that goes towards buying a premiership. No Kay no premierships.

What does Kay's interaction / dialogue with Bevo have to do with anything related to the Wildcats?

If you said Bevo was offering $N and the Wildcats offered $N X 28, then yes I could understand your point. But your post is about the feels, sorry Kay's WhatsApp messages to Bevo is not Marvin's concern/fault.

Reply #805854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Retired in November 2017"

He retired after a handful of games in the 2017-18 season, not the season before. The Wildcats grabbed Kay at the end of that season as they had an opening at the starting PF spot, and you'd assume some extra cash to spend. That doesn't necessarily translate to "Perth paid so much even Melbourne balked" because Melb were in a different position to Perth.

"Perth fans never let facts get in the way of an argument"

Its funny that you keeps saying this despite the other person continually getting facts wrong.

Reply #805857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth fans thinking the advertising around Perth must be free or discounted?"

Oh ok, so we've moved on from us supposedly saying the players play for free to now supposedly saying Perth doesn't any other overheads.

Reply #805858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hunt was on 250,000 before they released him and gave Plumlee $150,000. Cairns didn't even pay half that for Oliver"

Impressive to blatantly make up three things in one post.

Reply #805859 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was reported at the time he signed with Perth that Kay was on $400k per which would probably be about right as Perth need to pay overs to get people to relocate to the other side of the country.

I very much doubt Dario Hunt was on anything close to $250k he came from the Belgian league which is both cheap and a "trainer wheels" league in preparation for the better leagues in Europe. Tate at the Kings also came from that league and likewise would've been relatively cheap.

Reply #805861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was mentioned here with no substantiation whatsoever, and its been repeated enough times that its become fact.

Reply #805862 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

All this time I was so proud of Adelaide only to be told today that we bought our championships because we lured Robert Rose to the team.

Even the Wollongong Hawks bought Matt Shanahan and Freddy Kruger.

Shame on all NBL champions of today and the past for your procurement shenanigans.

Reply #805863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney only won a title because they stole Lisch from the hawks, oh my bad, they didnt win shit.

Reply #805864 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I must be one of the rare few not privy to the P/L statements and Salary schedules of every NBL team.

Would you guys mind telling me which public domain location I can get this info or what Freedom of Information provisions I must invoke to get the Kings and Wildcats to have their Enron'esque accountants to divulge their books?

Reply #805866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

250k for an import is cheap.

Reply #805869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

125k is even cheaper, if that is what the anon above reckons they paid Cam Oliver!

Reply #805871 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

250k for an import is cheap.

Not it's not most imports are on less than that every year.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that the NBL is very much a "make good" league. Imports rarely get paid top money sight unseen. They need to perform in the NBL first and then after that they get paid, generally speaking. The DJ Kennedy's of the NBL are outliers.

Reply #805873 | Report this post

BC_GOAT  
Years ago

koberulz
Earlier this week

Well if someone on this forum said it, it must be true.

Apology accepted.

Reply #805875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is nothing official yet

Reply #805876 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You said he was close to signing, the news is now reporting that the Wildcats are trying to keep him. Those are vastly different things.

All this time I was so proud of Adelaide only to be told today that we bought our championships because we lured Robert Rose to the team.
That's...an interesting theory.

Reply #805877 | Report this post

Moses  
Years ago

A lot of wank in this thread

Reply #805879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I very much doubt Dario Hunt was on anything close to $250k he came from the Belgian league"

Hunt was a good player in the Italian league, his value in Europe was pretty strong. I'd be surprised if Perth got him cheap.

Reply #805880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or ever got him back

Reply #805886 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Everybody spends what they can to get the best team, ie buying a championship."
Nobody has ever denied that Perth are one of the big spenders. What I have said is that they were outspent by Sydney, and probably Melbourne.

And yes, poster (way) above is correct. Bogut was Sydney's Marquee player, so only $150k (IIRC) of his $1M counted towards the tax-cap.

And yes, there have been players who opted to sign and/or stay with Perth for equal to or less than what they were offered elsewhere.
That's not saying that Perth on average pays less than most clubs, its referring to individual players.
My understanding is that Kay had essentially the same offer from 3 teams. Perth was one of those, and he chose Perth.

As for Cotton, I don't there is really anything new here.
There was a deadline to opt out, so he did, so that he could consider his options.
He apparently has offers from Europe, and the Cats are trying to match those.
Obviously, at this time, he's still at home with his family in Perth.

Reply #806038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754