Isaac
Years ago

Matt Hodgson recommits to Bullets

The 211cm centre has re-committed to Brisbane and will join the Bullets NBL21 campaign.

The NBL and Australian Basketball Players Association agreed that it was appropriate in the current circumstances that players be able to explore opportunities outside of Australia for the coming season.

Hodgson initially chose to explore European playing options, before deciding to play another NBL season with the Bullets.
"We supported his decision to explore overseas options, but always knew that if Matt was playing in the NBL this season that it would be in a Bullets singlet."

Hodgson joins Will Magnay, Nathan Sobey, Cameron Gliddon, Jason Cadee and Tyrell Harrison as contracted players for the coming season, giving Brisbane one of the strongest local rosters in the league.
Full article

Topic #47239 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were Bullets fans secretly hoping he wouldn't come back?

Reply #806074 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

lol

Reply #806076 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

loooooooooool

Classic.

Reply #806083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised.
Bullets looking ok with

Cadee.
Sobey.
Gliddon.
Magnay.
Hodgson.
Harrison.
Import*
Import*

Replace Vukona and TeRangi.

Reply #806087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any word if Lamar's coming back? IMO second best player in the league after Cotton.

Reply #806090 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

In the context of one less import where Aussie talent is important they're looking real good. If they add Drmic to the mix, fit Lamar Patterson in, they will be looking very good!

Reply #806091 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If as rumoured they've already locked in Drmic then I think he would replace Patterson and they use the difference to solidify the two imports.

Keep in mind Patterson was never meant to come back last season he wanted a lot more than they were prepared to give him so they moved on signed Braun & Singler and were structuring their team differently and then later in the offseason Patterson became available again significantly cheaper than earlier in the offseason so they just decided to re-sign him anyway.

That's why they were seemingly SG/SF heavy last season because they had built the roster around the intention Patterson wouldn't be coming back. There is no way Drmic is signing with them to get Te Rangi's money and court time.

Reply #806099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would u bring back Singler as a cheap import

Reply #806101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't get a look from the EU....should of remembered he is an NBL1 player that is lucky to have an NBL Contract at all!

Reply #806103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import / Cadee / Wigness(NS)
Sobey / Gliddon / Dennis(DP)
Patterson / Drmic / Goldfinch(DP)
Magnay / ? / Dalton(DP)
Hodgson / Harrison

Reply #806104 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Roster looking real deep if they grab Drmic. Patterson + Decent Import PG would be a great foundation. Prob won't have the money or need to use the 3rd slot but could keep it open incase an injury or to fill a gap. Are Vukona/Te Rangi not currently re-signed? Only spot that above roster is lacking is backup depth at the 4

Reply #806105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singler would be a great budget import. Great role player

Reply #806106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi likely to be at se. Melbourne.

Reply #806107 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Prob won't have the money or need to use the 3rd slot but could keep it open incase an injury or to fill a gap. Are Vukona/Te Rangi not currently re-signed?

Only two imports per team this season and both of those guys are free agents.

Reply #806108 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton
Nick Kay
Casper Ware
Xavier Cooks
Matt Hodgson

Something is not right with that list.

Reply #806112 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Matt "FIGJAM" Hodgson.

Reply #806120 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Where did he seriously think he was going to find a more lucrative contract?

For mine, easily the most frustrating Bullets player I've watched in the last 25 years considering his potential. The constant boneheaded fouls and overreactions to referees is too much.

Would prefer him to be another team's problem but I genuinely hope someone works out how to unlock him in Brisbane. At least there is Magnay.

Reply #806123 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Bullets looking ok with"

The same crap players they had last season??

ROFL

Caddee was going to opt-out, to explore other opportunities, but the trolley-boy job didn't pan out.

Reply #806127 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So how does this work?

With players and clubs evidently free to simply renegotiate contracts around the cuts,
and with no hard cap, the only real restriction is the super tax,
which is paid by the club to the league,
and the Bullets are owned by the League...

Reply #806129 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Drmic is actually happy to be coming off the bench?

Reply #806130 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt he will be coming off the bench.

Reply #806131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drimic is a bench player, unless Gliddon is leaving.

Reply #806132 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even if it does come down to those two (I think he will replace Patterson) with how much Gliddon's court time dried up late last season I think Lemanis has finally accepted Gliddon isn't the player he thought he would be or could be and that Drmic would start over him.

Drmic is not leaving Adelaide with all the court time on offer and his best friend McVeigh too to come off the bench in Brisbane.

Reply #806133 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

D2.0 - the Bullets are now owned by K-Mart Lite? (Kevin Martin)

I'm assuming he's now controlling anyway.

Reply #806138 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Brisbane would look at an Import 3 and a 1.

Drmic is unlikely to start over Sobey or start over the Import 3 whether it is Patterson or Patterson's replacement.

Drmic is not a PG so would not start above the Import 1 either.

The only wat Drmic starts is if Brisbane cannot afford a gun import 3 and Drmic is it.

Reply #806140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz is a moron.

Reply #806141 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He played for Adelaide 36ers... ( and he shopped at the same shopping centre as me.... kenhell of a good guy.)...
A lotta of his fouls aint fouls..

Reply #806142 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and he shopped at the same shopping centre as me

Did you give him the Greg Hire treatment?

Reply #806147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide is small probably not too many shopping centres around.

Reply #806153 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I saw Hodgson over at West Lakes mall one time stood out like dogs balls, very big guy.

Reply #806156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic to replace Patterson, yeah that's equal value! Just need to sign Ramone Moore and Griffin and it'll be a less talented Adelaide squad that even Adelaide rejected.
Drmic might have a high opinion of himself but can't think of a team where he's a walk up starter with Hawks out, maybe Cairns depending on what direction they go, but would think would be taking a massive pay cut to go from a team he's established at. And with Hawks gone there'll be a couple of guys like Sunday who'll be looked at.

Reply #806159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most 7fters do stick out since the average male is 5'10 and female 5’6

Reply #806160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 trying to insult a team, but doesn't have his facts straight. Which results in him looking like a complete tool.

Brisbane Bullets are owned by Kevin Martin.

The fact you don't know this shows you don't spend your time researching anything about the NBL and just like to go around grinding that large axe of yours.

Get educated pal!

Reply #806161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can see with the economic crash coming soon the nba players are going to get rid of their expensive toys asap.

Reply #806162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Martin doesn't own the Bullets outright. The league still owns a portion, and it might be a majority if the Martin consortium reneged on their deal at the completion of the season.

Reply #806163 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wasn't it minority ownership and in exchange he gets to be the GM to gain experience for hopefully a similar role in the NBA one day.

Reply #806164 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Former NBA star Kevin Martin will lead a new ownership group of the Hungry Jack's National Basketball League team, the Brisbane Bullets.

Martin leads a syndicate that will acquire a 75% interest in the Brisbane Bullets. This will include an initial 37.5% now with a further 37.5% upon the conclusion of the 2019/20 Hungry Jack’s NBL Season.

The ownership group will have a call option over the remaining 25%, which will continue to be held by the NBL for a further two years. The group includes Jason Levien, Martin's former manager, long time mentor, and former executive of several NBA Clubs including a period as CEO of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Levien also lead the ownership groups of the Philadelphia 76ers and the Memphis Grizzlies and has interests in various other sporting franchises and venues globally, including Swansea City and D.C. United.

https://www.brisbanebullets.com.au/news/article/bullets-announce-new-ownership-group-including-former-nba-player-kevin-martin

Reply #806165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll be no imports

Reply #806166 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like Hodgson and think he'd be an absolute asset coming off the bench but he needs to be BEHIND an import 4/5 and he will flourish.

This talk about Drmic as a starter is funny, he's not that good a player and with what he's done to Gliddon and his career I wouldn't have high hopes of him progressing next season.

Te Rangi could offer some value for Phoenix but I hope it's not at the expense of Stephens who I'd like to see more of after a horrible end to the season

Reply #806169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe someone has a breakdown of ownerships for each team?

Reply #806171 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

If Patterson available and signs, would Jeremy Kendle be an option as Import PG. Already part of organisation, served well, on-court, when healthy, serves well, off-court, when unhealthy. Would have had a chance to make his case in NBL1, but not now. Pity really. Might have been a chance, may still be????

Reply #806173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane were very hard to beat last season once they went to the Hodgson/Magnay starting frontcourt. The thing they need is a quality back-up PF to give them more versatility in their line-ups.

Obviously last season that was meant to be Vukona, who was huge for them the season before, but he never recovered from his off-season injury. Now there aren't many Vukona's lying around out there, but they do need a screen-d-and-board guy to bring that sort of energy.

Reply #806175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ sure and while they at it sign Leroy Loggins as he is naturalized and could be the backup center and we are clearly in fantasy land

Reply #806176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe someone has a breakdown of ownerships for each team?"

Kestleman. United. Brisbane, Phoenix.

Cairns community and now no tourists. Trouble.

WA Bendat

Adelaide Some say Kestleman has a finger in that pie.

Sydney Paul Smith

NZ Matt Walsh and Co

Hawks Kestleman

Reply #806178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's just wrong.

Reply #806179 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm not reliable with this but my guesses are:

Adelaide: Grant Kelley + Silent Backer, with some NBL assistance
Brisbane: Kevin Martin Syndicate 75%, NBL 25%
Melbourne: Crocmedia 25%, LK 25%, Others accumulative 50%
Perth: Bendat?
NZ: Walsh Syndicate including Shawn Marion
SEM: Romie Chaudhari, Zach Randolph, Dante Exum, Josh Childress, Al Harrington
Illawarra: VA, NBL holds licence
Cairns: Community
Sydney: Paul Smith

Reply #806180 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I didn't wanna do a greg hire at the shops.
Drimic, the day after a home loss, not a happy chappie,so, I stayed away.
Majoc Deng was in a little bit of excitement. "I hear you on the radio."
He told me.

Reply #806183 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kings are AEG (50%) and Paul Smiths's TSE (50%).

Reply #806184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings are 100% Smith, aeg gone at end of JVG era. Bogut might have 10% now as well if he took up his share offer.

Reply #806187 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Drmic to replace Patterson, yeah that's equal value! Just need to sign Ramone Moore and Griffin and it'll be a less talented Adelaide squad that even Adelaide rejected.

Well we need to start re-assessing what is value more than ever.

It may be that the Kays, Cottons, Wares, Hopsons and Pattersons may be priced out of the league now.

The new reality could be that what we considered as 'second tier' previously now become the upper tier. Yes, this may give the Ramone Moores, the Sek Henry's, the Brandon Ashleys, and Dillon Stiths top billing.

Reply #806192 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So they did. AEG are laughing now, the perfect time to get out.

Reply #806193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AEG laughing, wake up to yourself, JVG lost a sqillion when they had it, Smith turned it into a profit in first full season of ownership with smart player recruitment with some very good budget buys and some very good marketing.

Reply #806194 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"turned it into a profit in first full season of ownership" [Citation Needed]

Reply #806196 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Smith turned it into a profit in first full season of ownership with smart player recruitment with some very good budget buys and some very good marketing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply #806197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ someone spends to much time on his keyboard ^

Reply #806198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To follow up the budget import scenario it will be interesting to see what the market is. Europe will always pay more, but will some leagues fold, delay or cancel seasons there. So their may be more supply than demand, agent might say to nbl club hes x dollars, club can turn around and say nah, we can get similar player for y dollars. Plus the prospect of playing there whilst outbreaks are bound to happen more frequently than Australia IMO. Players will want to cash in as much as they can, but ex NBAers may see nbl a safer workplace and be willing to take a couple 100k discount. Can see Plumlee on a roster somewhere. Didn't dominate like expected but still a quality big man for the right place.
Players like Cotton and Hopson will always get paid more there, Cotton would have given discount to play here, but the massive cut is obviously way under market value.

Reply #806199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#198 and knows shit.

Reply #806200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha there is no way the Kings made a profit. God some people are thick.

Reply #806201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+^ why are people thick? Please explain with facts not bullshit conspiracy theories.

Reply #806202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings made a profit, Perth fans just can't cop it. He’s no fool Smith.

Reply #806203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Perth got to do with anything? Sydney spent big but didn't get crowds to sustain it.

Reply #806204 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kings made a profit, Perth fans just can't cop it. He's no fool Smith.

From the little that I know, I agree that he is no fool. That doesn't mean he made an immediate profit though. There's no way he did. Nor would he have expected to this soon.

Reply #806205 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"D2.0 trying to insult a team, but doesn't have his facts straight"

Where did I insult them? (In that part of the conversation.)
I simply asked how the duper-tax works, and has worked, for a team majority owned by the NBL.
Martin & co owned about a third, and were due to take on another third, but who knows if that went through.

As for team itself, well yeah, remains to be seen what other teams do, but they really do need to make some changes.
They need a better balanced squad, including an actual PG.

Reply #806208 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Why is everyone so determined to be right that our clubs are losing money?

Whilst we want our memberships and game tickets to be affordable we want our teams to have strong league and club sponsors and a decent tv deal...

As for all our good imports not wanting to be here, why do we have this mindset?

NBA scouts have been looking at our league for a few seasons now and personally I'd sacrifice money if I knew I had NBA scouts checking me out rather than play in China or some substandard league that I may earn more but have less eyes on my performances so surely the exposure the league has had will get players asking about Australia (even if player agents would rather the higher priced contract.

Reply #806209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for team itself, well yeah, remains to be seen what other teams do, but they really do need to make some changes."

On the run home last season Brisbane were 9-4, including 5-2 against the top four, so while they need to tinker they don't need to make wholesale changes.

Reply #806210 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Magnay
Sobey
Hodgson
Gliddon
Cadee

If Magnay keeps improving as I expect him to, this is a formidable Aussie group in a league where less money will be thrown at imports.

Reply #806230 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Although, it does remain to be seen exactly how this virus plays out

It could be that there's less money everywhere, and so the NBL will continue to attract top imports, but just for less money because those imports will have lower salaries no matter where they go.

Reply #806232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing compared to a potential nz side.

Webster / Weeks / Li
Webster / Import / Murray
Hopson / Abercrombie
Delaney / Fotu / Darling
Loe / Salt / Wynnard

Reply #806236 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Nothing compared to a potential 36ers side of.

Giddey / Dillon / DeLeon (Randle 2nd half of season)
Teys / Mudronja
McVeigh / Harris
Kyei / Smith-Milner
Johnson / Import

Reply #806241 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Jesus, even an Ingles homecoming couldn't get that 36ers outfit to playoffs!

Reply #806246 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Breakers very nearly like a national team, it would want to "look good". Embarrassing if they don't perform against local rosters of, at best, 2nd string (with all due respects) players divvied up over 8/9 teams.

Seeing Drmic's name in the line-up too. Is he a Bullet? Can't see anything on w/site. Imo, when Sobey came to Bris, he seemed to lose his attitude and performed better, with more consistency. If similar changes happened with Drmic, reckon he'd be a great fit with the other Aussies. Imagine him in a team that played like that last regular-season game (the run-and-gunner). As I wrote above, get Patterson back and the best PG you can afford (I suggested Kendle, above, but they'd want better if affordable). Agree with LV on Bullets.

Anon post: brackets are my adds:
Cadee.
Sobey.
Gliddon.
Magnay.
Hodgson.
Harrison.
Import* (Patterson)
Import* (PG)(What's Trice doing?)

Replace Vukona (?? Hard to find who might move. Maybe Deng or Acuil to be a 4/5 back-up with Harrison. Dalton to see some time, perhaps?) and TeRangi. (Drmic).

So, line-up could look like this.

PG: *Import/Cadee
SG: Sobey/Gliddon
SF: *Patterson/Drmic(?)
PF: Magnay/???/Dalton(DP)
C: Hodgson/Harrison

Reply #806251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754