Isaac
Years ago

LA Lakers lose Avery Bradley for NBA restart

Woj:

ESPN story on starting Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley opting-out of Orlando. "As committed to my Lakers teammates and the organization as I am, I ultimately play basketball for my family."

At forefront of Bradley's decision to remain w/ his family is the well-being of the oldest of his 3 children. His 6-year old son has a history of struggling to recover from respiratory illnesses and would’ve been unlikely to be medically cleared to enter bubble with his family.
JR Smith is one option to replace him.

Story

Topic #47322 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call he got his cash already so no need to work anymore.

Reply #809298 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

maybe breokhoff could get a look in here

Reply #809300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope this isn't going to be the excuse when LeBum .... Oh I mean the Lakers lose

Reply #809301 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Trevor Ariza and Davis Bertans have pulled out too and DeMarcus Cousins has chosen to sit it out until next season as well.

Evan Fournier took a shot at Bertans on Twitter about bailing on his teammates.

Reply #809307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bertans is being soft as not like he has a weak immune child to look after like Bradley.

Bertans might work for Dan Andrews so perhaps wants it to be at zero before talking face to face with anyone again.

Reply #809310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bertans has been out with BLM causes thou so perhaps the BLM immunity wears off when you aren't at there events/riots

Reply #809311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bertans has a history of knee injuries and is likely to get a new fat contract after the season. He just doesn't want to risk a serious injury for an unlikely playoff run. You can disagree with his stance. No need to peddle some racist crap though

Reply #809317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#310 and #311 are morons. Or a single moron, posting in support of himself.

Reply #809318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he is holding out?

Surely the CBA won't allow this?

Reply #809319 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBA have already given permission to players to sit out Bertans will lilkely lose around $1 million of his salary Ariza who is in a custody battle around $1.8 million.

Reply #809325 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bertans has torn his ACL twice so is probably right to be wary.

Reply #809339 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's the thing right to be wary but like Fournier basically said when guys are now sitting out NBA regular seasons to not risk injury in the hope of cashing in as a FA the following season it's a bit too much.

What is crazier is that Bertans will be sitting out with the Wizards blessing as they hope to re-sign him next season. I imagine he will likely get ostracised by his Wizards teammates if he re-signs though.

Another wrinkle to this is the only reason Bertans is even in Washington and not still at San Antonio is because Marcus Morris backed out of the contract he verbally agreed to with the Spurs so they traded Bertans to the Wizards prior to fit Morris in only for Morris to turn around and sign with the Knicks instead. The Spurs were incensed.

The NBA's never been in a bigger hole of it's own making, IMO.

Reply #809341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

310 and 311 when you've finished talking to yourself maybe you can stop and have a think about how stupid you sound.

Reply #809359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the nba isn't a business, no one ever gets cut and everyone just plays for the love of the game.

Reply #809372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers were 13-1 without Bradley so this is not the end of the world. Respect to Bradley for putting family first. Caruso will have to get his minutes.

Bradley holds offensive players to their worst shooting % in the NBA when guarded but Caruso is #4 on that list so he's no slouch at the defensive end either.

Reply #809375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being isolated we can only imagine what the situation is in America. People are freaking out about the clusters in Victoria, thousands are dying daily over there. So to be beating a drum about selfishness is a bit rich. It's not a good place to be, even if you are a millionaire athlete.

Reply #809376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA players have to much power as when you start sitting out when under contract and uninjured it starts to make a mockery of the league.

No wonder the league is loosing viewership as the resting/sitting thing start with the stars of the league now guys like Bertans are sitting as well its a joke.

Lets not forget he is due to be paid $1M USD to play so even if he did a knee he ain't exactly begging for his next meal.

This is why fans shake there head are the self entitlement and self centered attitude of Us pro sports players.

Reply #809402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was pure drivel.

Reply #809404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So players (Bertans) is breaking contract by not playing despite permission it being ok with the Wiz?
If he does re-sign with the Wiz you think they are happy?

You sign a contract to play bball and negotiation a wage/benefits to undertake it and sign onto fulfil the contract.

Players blatantly breaking the contract doesn't bode well for the league.

Reply #809405 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The league is not losing viewers because of players sitting out, it's losing viewers because it's a victim of its own success IMO, especially on social media. Why sit through 2 hours of a meaningless regular season game when you can just catch every highlight on instagram or twitter. The rules and way the game is called is geared towards creating those moments and, welp, they nailed that a few years ago. Turns out it was a detriment to the actual product.

Playoffs, different story. Going forward I'll probably only look at league pass in the post season.

Reply #809408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So players sitting doesn't help reinforce that regular season games are meaningless?

Agree with your point on social media and the way the game is played they kind of cooked there own goose to a degree plus plenty of players are treating the regularly season with disdain doesn't help.

Who would have thought sitting players and free twitter clips won't generate increased revenue for the league, they are pretty lucky that the regime in China pay the money they do or they'd be stuffed.

Reply #809412 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Angus I agree with you 100%, for so many years I have got league pass and this season prior to it being shut down I simply wasn't watching enough games to warrant it. I think similar to you I will probably grab a team pass so I can watch Orlando Magic games and then maybe get Kayo sports for some of the others... come playoffs ill purchase the package for that.

Reply #809425 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There were record numbers of infections in the US today and a big record increased specifically in Florida. I dont see how this goes ahead.

I don't hold anything against any player deciding not to play, least of all Betans. There's no reason that the Wiz should be there in the first place.

Reply #809440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do the increase in numbers matter.

ITs out there so its a matter of managing it as anyone hoping for a vaccine will be waiting a while so gotta get back to business.

Reply #809445 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Just how tight is this NBA bubble going to be?

There is still going to be people coming in and out of that Disney bubble.

Reply #809447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#445 the increase matters because going into lockdown was meant to flatten the curve to buy time to allow for things like the vaccine and other treatments, and to take pressure off the hospitals. America half-arsed their lockdown and their now at pre-lockdown numbers, so it's basically been a waste of four months. That means they'll either need to go back into lockdown to flatten the curve again, or risk their death rate sky-rocketing again.

Reply #809448 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

As much as this seems like an issue, 3 players and a FA doesn't make a story.
Indeed, the public health crisis in the US is a massive issue and the longer this goes the worse it will be for the NBA. If the revenues dry-up, as expected, or it continues unabated for another year, it might be the NBL's time to shine.
I can see a few NBA players coming down under.

Reply #809451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Understand if these guys want to sit due to COVID but they sitting next year as well? Or they sitting forever cause it ain't going away?

Reply #809452 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

they are pretty lucky that the regime in China pay the money they do or they'd be stuffed.

Which has been significantly reduced now due to China's HK Morey censorship request being declined. On the bright side it will end the ridiculously high contracts mid-tier non-household names were signing.

Reply #809455 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

What are the players association doing about this ?

Reply #809483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA effectively rely on that China Money now with the US shutdown and reducing revenues stateside.

It is ironic that the players overwhelmingly support BLM but take that China cash when we all know what happens in the "Peoples Republic" its pretty ironic and hypocritical really but hey everyone has a price.

Reply #809498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J Bags no NBA player is coming to Australia for $150,000 AUD.

Reply #809500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754