Aussie
Years ago

Brian Goorjian's interview on NBL Overtime, thoughts?

Most of this is speculation by me but this is what I read into the interview with Goorj:

Obviously he has stated he wants Froling, Glover and Dech back. No mention of Naar. Has he conceded Naar won't come back? Or is he not interested in having him on the roster?

What is the story with Grida? I know he is injured and likely out for the season but will he still be rehabbing in the Gong?

Goorj mentioned assistant coaches that he had "known for years", guys he can trust and in particular, people that are committed to player development, especially for younger players. Any idea who he is targeting for those assistant coaches roles?

He mentioned the uncertainty of the NCAA. I got the impression ( pure speculation of course) that he may target some Aussies to come home. Wonder who he may try and pursue? Stattmann? Ducas? Any other names come to mind?

Will he do what he has been renowned to do over his coaching career, sign most of the top kids that are available at the COE?

I'm interested to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

Topic #47336 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe vasljevic, have heard very little talk so far.

Grida will be back the following season.

Reply #809627 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Goorjian said he was pretty keen to bring back Naar in his Fox Sports interview.

Reply #809628 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Goorjian said he was pretty keen to bring back Naar in his Fox Sports interview.

Ok thanks. I didn't see that interview

Reply #809629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what this sounds like is about saving money or keep the money for imports

Reply #809630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he goes with coaches who have his back and he know then you maybe lookingat Bill Tomlinson and Jacob Jackomas who both went to China with him.

Looks like Cooks,Groves and Demos are gone and Flynn may need to go back to teaching.

Reply #809631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is groves naturalised

Reply #809632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks gone, how long has he been at Hawks, hasn't it been since 97. Unless they could pull a father/son package now with Gorg on board.

Reply #809638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ has a pretty good job at a school in Sydney plus isn't he a BNSW coach?

Reply #809639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob was at the kings before the JVG era. Naar could be good under gorge as he will teach him defence. Goorgian made both Heal and CJ much better players by making them play D.
Goorgian also took Jason Smith with him as a player and if available could be a assistant coach.

Reply #809643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know JJ has a pretty good job in a school in Syd plus his BNSW stuff.

Reply #809644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry for the double post. please delete this one.

Reply #809645 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't think Goorj will give much away. He'll say he wants players back, right up until he either signs their replacements or they sign elsewhere.
That said, in an environment where he's rebuilding a team, it makes sense to keep young guys that he thinks have a future.

I highly doubt that he signed on to coach some bargain squad. SO he's going to be looking for some big names, in addition to a couple of import studs.
I'm also sure he's smart enough to have realised that the league has moved on, and he will recruit accordingly.

Reply #809646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where is this money coming from? The NBL?

Reply #809647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You got it the players pay cuts funding Illawarra.

Reply #809648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ has left his school job.

Reply #809672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The job jj had at knox grammar was advertised on facebook on thursday so it is obvious he will be back with Goorjan.

Who fills the know job may also be interesting.

Reply #809674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good school. Don't forget Kevin Goorj is about at Box Hill. I wionder if Stacker will un retire?

Reply #809679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The two Goorjian and JJ, then a few of the old hawks staff from last year to fill the gaps.

Reply #809680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ERic too surely?

Reply #809718 | Report this post

Lindt-step 2-step  
Years ago

I am simply amazed that these names are not in the conversation, perhaps they are but in confidentiality, so as not to alert other teams of these prospects

-Martin Iti. last I checked, still 7-1. Ranked by ESPN as the highest centre in his class, and 8th overrall in HS. In the same class as LBJ and CP3.

-Graeme Dann, how many 6'9 dudes you know ball like this (handles, set the table). As Scribe said, not many, if any.

-Steve Leven. Everybody knows he got more bounce than a ounce.

But I do understand sometimes its complex things like paper with numbers printed on it, powers that be and politics that take place and dictate some such matters.

At 37, I should have still been given a run as backup PG for the Kings, but they went a different direction because thems the breaks. 0 surgeries in my carer.

Reply #809780 | Report this post

Lindt-step 2-step  
Years ago

if you check here, http://www.espn.com/recruiting/s/020703top100.html

Iti, ranked 8.

1 - Bron
9 - Big Perk
19 - Ron Brewer
22 - Leon Powe
26 - Kris Humphries
30 - Gary Ervin
31 - Aaron Brooks
36 - Trevor Ariza
40 - Ayinde Ubaka
52- some guy named CHris Paul
65 - Linas Kleiza
80 - Paul Milsap'

if you have seen big M run the floor, catching oops, he was a problem for the Southland Sharks as he was a terror to matchup on, same thing playing Magic-esque for the Dubbo Rams (he starts at centre, plays forward and guard etc).

But hey, what would I know about good signings.

Reply #809781 | Report this post

Lindt-step 2-step  
Years ago

if Graeme Dann could read/write good and was able to pass the rigged SAT (standardise test doesnt measure basketball IQ or athletic ability), he would have gone to any Division 1 college of his choosing and likely have been a late 1st round draft pick.

Leven, probably still the most athletic player in today's soft NBL.

Reply #809783 | Report this post

Lindt-step 2-step  
Years ago

But I would not look at signing Eban Hyams. Bruh should just stay in India, KGV all star at best. Like what are you, a 1 or a 2? A 1.5? You don't shoot, you don't set the table, would be a waste of minimum NBL selery.

Reply #809784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Eric Hays is gone? Pretty sure GD has a very good job. Martin Iti, seriously? Leven let's not go there again please.

Reply #809796 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What year is it?

Reply #809800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lindt...drugs are bad!

Reply #809802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh shit you know who I meant. Cooks. You guys wouldn't even know about Hayes. Didn't even pick up my bad spelling hahaha

Reply #809803 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Lindt...drugs are bad!"

This.

If you're going to sprout crap, completely unrelated to the thread, could you at least make some attempt at English?
I tried reading your posts, and I think it induced a brain haemorrhage.

Reply #809805 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Oh, right, it's a Luke Martin pisstake.

Grow up.

Reply #809807 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It reads like a Cesar pisstake. The Dann entries were pretty good.

Reply #809809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos JJ?

Reply #809824 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

JJ = Jacob Jackomas

Reply #809827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754