Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL Changing age levels?

Are they going to just start a new season with the same age levels, go to odd age levels or change the system entirely and go 14 and under with age being measured at theend of the season rather than December 31st????

Anyone indications??

Topic #47374 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage they might not ever play again if the state shuts down everytime someone gets a sniffle

Reply #810768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ what a fascinating insight

Reply #810771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about keep everything the same, take a deep breath and get through the next 6 weeks with limited deaths?

Once in a lifetime situation, let's not change something that ain't broken.

Reply #810779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my

Reply #810780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not hard to pick the U14 parents angry they have missed out on club nationals here is it

Reply #810783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely. Yeah because nothing is broken in Victoria at the moment. smh

Reply #810785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 people have tragically died in the past 6 weeks with Covid in Australia, last winter 3 people died everyday with the flu, numbers don't lie.

If our media weren't incentivised to keep the crisis narrative rolling, and actually reported the mounting evidence that 99% of people who contract this strain of coronavirus actually have mild or no symptoms, our lives including basketball would look very normal. I don't blame those on this forum who are afraid and agree with the strict measures being used to contain this so called pandemic, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I am opposed to the reasons why those scared people are in that state of fear.

Unfortunately we have people in charge who are lapping up their moment in the sun, and in Victoria at least it may be a very long time until we can resume as normal, whatever that is now.

Reply #810786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep stop with the drama. It is 1 year and involves all his/her mates. If he/her sis an acl they would be behind a year but as a parent you would say move on love you will play again. Maybe you should practice this as September tryouts for 2021 May not even happen.

Reply #810787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And its people like you #786 as to why there is another outbreak. People much smarter than you know the facts. So you miss a season of basketball. You miss some nights at the pub. Big deal. It's a major killer world wide. We have been lucky so far.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2944635/?fbclid=IwAR16EnBj6VBF1Nyvva681OZ2kdWkRILfSUpok85rCFGEdgx9k7qzs29ee5E

Reply #810788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shit for brains some people and that's being polite. Have a look at the USA and tell me how the flu, sniffles as you call it is travelling in that country.

Reply #810790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's ok, typical response from someone who feels informed because they watch The Project. Here's the studies and views from hundreds of experts far smarter us forum users.

Facts about Covid-19 - Swiss Policy Research
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Reply #810791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a few hundred studies and reports you can read during the ad breaks of Big Brother. I'm not saying Covid isn't a real thing, it's just nowhere near what people initially feared.

Reply #810792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yes I do follow the rules in society because I respect that I know he person next to me may not share my views on the matter, and that's ok, it's just a good idea to question the narrative sometimes and I'd like to live in a world where we are still free to have an unpopular opinion.

Reply #810794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah places like Sweden think they did great. 73,000 cases and 5,500 deaths. That's brilliant if it’s your family isn’t it. But hey let’s just manage a few deaths. It’s not what people initially feared but it’s what the experts did. This is only in it’s infancy. Australia is lucky because we are so isolated but being complacent will put us backwards very quickly. It’s the selfish people with no knowledge who believe they will be immune to any serious illness who will be the countries undoing

Reply #810795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 100 people with an average age of 80 have died from Covid in our counrty, and now the mental health experts have said there have already been an additional 1000 suicides due to the lockdown response with an average age half that of covid, how many years of life have now been lost.

Initial lockdowns when we were unsure... Ok... to let them continue now with the latest data? different story. Surely it's time to just protect the 1% who are vulnerable.

Reply #810797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, and how's the healthcare system going to look for the next 20 years now the economy is stuffed, good luck protecting the vulnerable in the future.

Reply #810799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You save your 80 year old Granny, 5 families loose a mother or father that provides for them, and another 5 families loose their brother, sister, daughter or son just as they're in the peak of their life.

Unpopular view, but hard to argue against.

Reply #810800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's use cancer patients as an example. People with compromised immune systems are highly susceptible to the virus. Each year in Australia there are 150,000 new cases each year and in 2019 50,000 people died from that disease alone. So let’s just use 2019 and 2020 numbers for cancer sufferers of 300,000. All with compromised immunise systems and death is real possibility if they catch COVID. And as an aging population I think your save the 1% who are vulnerable is ridiculous at best.

Reply #810804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swedish government is getting the heat applied big time now, the policy has failed, there death and infection rate is five times higher than their neighbouring countries. They thought the infection rates would reduce to the more people that got it and hopefully limit the spread. It's failed.

Reply #810806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sweedish approach up for debate, it will only be known after a few years, remember they may avoid the catastrophic second wave! Once 60-70% of the population has caught a virus herd immunity takes effect, to even hypothesize that every cancer sufferer woild die is ludicrous.

Reply #810807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herd immunity theory is not working with this virus. Anti body generating cases are in the low teens percentage wise. Secondly such immunity only lasts for weeks. Only thing that spared swedish (and UK) population from a wipeout has been the low sick/carrier ratio.

Reply #810809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lots of scientists commenting on a Vjbl thread. Not one comment related to the op's question

Reply #810819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The very premise of 797's argument is flawed. It assumes that if we didn't lockdown and were allowed to roam free there would be less suicide deaths as a result of the mental health benefits of being out and about.

These problems cannot be assessed in a vacuum, it is totally plausible to assume there might even be more suicide deaths with out the lockdown due to the anxiety of passing COVID onto a loved one or catching a particularly shit case of COVID no matter the age. Even if we assume the media are overblowing the whole thing and that's a large contributor to the suicides (I do believe that the media, particulary social media may be having a large influence on the suicide rates) the problem isn't the lockdowns its the media and that is a totally separate conversation.

Lockdown, dont go out if not for one of the four reasons, get through it so our lives can restart on the other side hopefully with basketball to be played in 8 weeks!

Reply #810826 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sweden's Hands-Off Approach to COVID Has Failed Dramatically

Sweden’s mortality rate is substantially higher than for its neighbors Denmark and Norway, at 442 deaths per million compared to just 100 and 44 respectively. Per capita, Sweden’s death rate is even higher than the United States, which stands at 321 deaths per million.

Herd immunity — letting the virus spread to enough of the population that protective antibodies would keep it from spreading further — is still a distant dream. Only 7.3 percent of Stockholm citizens were found to have developed COVID-19 antibodies, according to a May study, suggesting that "herd immunity is a long way off, if we ever reach it," as Bjorn Olsen, Professor of Infectious Medicine at Uppsala University, told Reuters last month.

It's also worth pointing out that it's not as simple as putting everyone into either the "dead" or "survived" group. There are many, many people who have lived through COVID-19 but will spend the rest of their lives with serious damage to their internal organs.

Reply #810832 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thought this was a basketball forum. If OP is correct, never be able to change age groups back. I actually think it would simply exacerbate the key issue with the early age groups, where you have kids who develop physically early dominating ... until they stop growing like their parents and remain 5 foot 8 for the rest of their life. Moving the age group will just give them another year of dominating, but they are not the kids we really need to develop for the betterment of the game in Aus.

Reply #810837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

You cherry pick one view, I'll raise you 100.

Reply #810839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There won't be a nationals. People need to get over it.

Reply #810857 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why are age groups every 2 years anyway? Why doesn't rep basketball just play their own age every year like other sports? Not fair on growing kids to wait 2 years to play kids their own age. This would be a good time to change.

Reply #810859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which sports go only in your age level; u11, u12, u13, etc?

Reply #810861 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Athletics, soccer, rugby league, swimming, netball.

Which other sports don't?

Reply #810871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasnt having a go I just didn't know :")

Cricket, Basketball, AFL football, school sport athletics all dont

Reply #810872 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

All good, mine was a genuine question as well. I thought only Basketball did the 2 year thing.

I believe originally the reason why was because they didn't get enough competitors in each age group, but that was over 40 years ago and not the case these days.

Every top age kid this year will go from 2018 to 2022 before they compete against their own age group.

Reply #810875 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Drop out rate will be significant for next year, sadly.

Reply #810886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why will there be a drop out rate? No sport is playing.

Reply #810890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage they might not ever play again if the state shuts down everytime someone gets coronavirus. Edited for accuracy. Stupid Victorians

Reply #810898 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Because kids move on, lose engagement and (quite frankly) associations are really poor at creating that club-like atmosphere that would make kids stick. Football does that so much better. Real drop off will occur.

Reply #810921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fear is that kids who play multiple sports will resume with just one of those sports.

Reply #810923 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep, parents reassessing time spent across multiple sports, and for some the cost.

Reply #810924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's only vic kids missing out, maybe it’ll give the other states a chance to win for once.

Reply #810926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#890 you posted earlier and got slammed. It's not a sniffle...FO

Reply #810928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No sport in Victoria is playing. So why would kids playing multiple sports that include basketball lose engagement? No one is playing you simpletons

Reply #810929 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Driving kids across Melb is different to playing local sport. Think rep will suffer, but try-out numbers is of course the thing to watch.

Reply #810934 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Depending on numbers some AFL junior associations run teams in yearly age groups such as u/8, u/9, u/10, u/11, u/12, u/13 etc. Soccer does this in some lower age groups too.

Reply #810964 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Has anyone read Malcolm Gladwells "Outliers"? The Rep set up in Victoria gives an massive advantage to kids born in the first half of the year and an equal disadvantage to kids born in the last half of the year. An example, a kid born in November or December competes against kids born in January or February possibly up to 23 months older. The older, more mature, bgger, stronger etc kid has a huge advantage in making higher teams or state programs, getting more opportunity and better coaching etc, etc. This manifests as they get older.
Yes, really good kids will overcome this, but it means that basketball misses out on many great players and athletes who struggle to compete early on and put more time into sports where they compete against kids closer to their own age and size and maturity.
Perhaps other options could be looked at?

Reply #810968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love that idea ^

Reply #810969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone heard whether their association is refunding? Or at least applying towards reduced fees for next year? The latter might be a good way to entice kids back.

Reply #810979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One club giving 50% refund or 50% reduction in fees if they trial and make a team next season.
Another club is guaranteeing all current players will have a spot in their teams next season. Great to hear a club looking after their players

Reply #811004 | Report this post

LD  
Years ago

They sound like fair and sensible approaches. Would be sensible for associations to come out sooner rather than later with their policies.

Reply #811010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guaranteeing all current players a spot???? What happens if someone better comes along or a kids gone backwards! Which clubs are you talking about I haven't heard this

Reply #811011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, Einstein, I guess they get shuffled down if someone better comes along. I think there will be spots.

Reply #811012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong United, Bellarine and Surfcoaster doing a substitute Friday night program with their Rep Teams. Good thinking and well done to these Associations. Maybe Ballarat could be added.

Reply #811023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#012 is definitely a parent of a kid that isn't very good.

You think there's going to be enough 'spots' when volunteer coaches don't have time after the pandemic to coach the 8's so little jimmy can have a run. Look at Hawthorn cutting team numbers and tonnes of kids last season, although that was probably court-space related it ensured that club didnt have a team in VJL11. Rep isn't about participation - its not another game for decent domestic players, sometimes people just arent good enough.

Reply #811056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

004 which club is guaranteeing spots to players??

Reply #811059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be spots because kids will pull out, is the point. Wow, what a rant.

Reply #811060 | Report this post

GF  
Years ago

Yep, unfortunately I think that may be the case. The whole system will shrink, just like other businesses and sporting groups. Just less activity. Hopefully not too much drop off, and the idea of encouraging kids to try out by giving a discount or some form of guarantee makes sense in the context. Interesting to see if basketball can get some gov financial support to do that.

Reply #811063 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hawthorn is in dire financial trouble....

http://www.hawthornbasketball.com.au/asf-donation/

Reply #811070 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

So their model of throwing thousands at well established junior coaches and former nbl players to coach their first teams by previous management wasn't a sound business idea?
Are other associations in this boat or have they been mismanaged on a bigger scale to others?

Reply #811098 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

The Hawthorn crowd-funding has been going for months and has been a huge disappointment for them. A few weeks ago, they had less than $20,000.

They 'asked' the clubs playing domestic to 'donate' heavily to get them out of debt and got told where to go.

Reply #811117 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Suspect there are better causes to donate funds to at the minute.

Reply #811122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Victoria should give some guidance on this.

Reply #811230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754