Isaac
Years ago

Damian Martin announces his retirement

Fantastic career. Hard to say enough about his commitment to a team and his efforts on court.

You can watch the press conference here.

Topic #47428 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Absolute legend.
Blessed to have had him here at the Cats.

Time to start designing that statue.

Reply #812559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Retire his number. Absolute legend of Australian basketball.

Reply #812560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played the entire season with a partially torn achillies that could go at any moment.

Considering he'd done one already, knowing the pain he could experience at any point is just insane.

He had a Kobe level of tolerance to pain!

Reply #812561 | Report this post

JasonC  
Years ago

Gutted, but elated for him :(

Jason

Reply #812562 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

#53 in the rafters and name the Defensive player of the year after him. Both should be done this year.

Reply #812563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aside from his unique skillset, its his leadership which will be hard to replace. I can't think of any current Wildcat player that could step into a vocal, and lead by example captain.

Reply #812565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations, great career. To think Bevo talked him out of playing rugby league to six time championship player. Well done.

Reply #812566 | Report this post

Webcam Luke  
Years ago

A truly incredible player and man.

I have been lucky to follow a club led by this NBL legend.

Wishing him all the best.

Reply #812568 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gutted and Sad
But also thankful to have had him with us for so long. Absolute legend and will be sorely missed.
Will have to check out a few home opens, just so I get to shake his hand.

Reply #812569 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

The right time. Taylor Britt is about to make a name for himself on the NBL stage.

Reply #812571 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Gutted to hear him retire but elated for him to be able to retire with so many accomplishments under his belt - incredible character and team dynamo.

Put #53 in the rafters and start sculpting the statue to put out the front of the Arena!

Reply #812573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An absolute gentlemen of the game and one of the hardest workers there was.

Also a brilliant example of what a captain has to be.

Will be thoroughly missed and the Wildcats should try to get him involved on the staff in some capacity.

WELL DONE DAMO.

Reply #812574 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Old school, non-flashy hard working player that will be sorely missed.
Hope the Cats keep him around as a regular mentor.

Marto stripping Durant in 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7uhphKY1E

Reply #812578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilbur Taylor Britt isn't even making a name for himself in the drastically watered down NZNBL. Don’t get ahead of yourself

Reply #812582 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Sad news for the league, he was a great leader and will be known as much for his leadership as his defence.

I saw a clip somewhere comparing how Martin speaks as a leader and how Daniel Johnson speaks. It was embarassing to be a Sixers supporter.

Yes. Get his number retired, and that Statue up.

Is there a moment in time that the statue should capture?

Stripping Durant is probably a bit corny.
A particular chase down block?
His Slam on Sydney?

Reply #812585 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I don't know how you could really capture Grand Theft Basketball in a statue.

"His Slam on Sydney?"

That was such a moment, just came out of seeming nowhere.

Reply #812587 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

DJ isn't the orator Damo is. I’m gonna die of embarrassment.

Reply #812590 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #812597 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Congratulations on a stella career.

Reply #812608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounded like he played through a partially torn Achilles this year. Sums up the type of guy he was

Reply #812623 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So versatile, and he tops it all off by trending on Twitter.

From memory didn't he save someone last year from a fire while on a fish and chips run?

Reply #812624 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

That night he had saved the Wildcats with a late 3 against Sydney.

Saved a man and his dog from the house fire.

Then got death threats against his family for hitting said three thus losing that person money.

Reply #812628 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Hated his defense as a Breakers fan through the 2010's, but what a competitor. Hats off to him.

Reply #812630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sounded like he played through a partially torn Achilles this year. Sums up the type of guy he was" Personally I have had one and I could hardly walk. THat's unlikely.

Reply #812631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we lose Lisch and Martin is the same off-season :(

Reply #812633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch stayed too long as did Martin. Great players but both should have retired several years ago.

Reply #812634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should they have retired years ago? Both finished their careers playing in a grand final. Lisch played very well and Damo did his job just fine.

Reply #812636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has there been a more respected and like non superstar in Nbl history? There's been Gaze, Loggins, Grace, Crawford and Maher off the top of my head as opposition players fans have respected, and maybe some cult heroes. But struggle to think of a full on defensive pest that has been liked by so many. Going back a bit maybe Darren Lucas that I admired, but not sure now if he is in the realm of Martin.

Reply #812639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mika Vukona.

Reply #812642 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That night he had saved the Wildcats with a late 3 against Sydney.

Saved a man and his dog from the house fire.

Then got death threats against his family for hitting said three thus losing that person money.

Good memory. Oh what a night.

Reply #812648 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This kid is a pro baller, he's a registered marriage celebrant, he's a licenced real estate agent and a fire rescue hero.

He shattered the mold, and all he does is win, all he does is win.

Take that Tim Tebow.

Reply #812650 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'd be interested to see who takes over captaincy now? They may go with Jesse for 1 year then move it to Norton or Cotton, or go straight to Cotton? Hopefully Norton picked up some traits in his time alongside Damo. Huge hole to fill as we've seen over the years the Cats stumble when Damo's not on court leading the team.

Reply #812677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A brilliant defender and captain.

One of the nicest people you would meet and a great ammbassador for sport and family.

A great New South Welshman from the little town of Gloucester.Good luck with your future happenings for work and family life.

Bevo must have seen something special in him to do what he did to get him to play basketball instead of Rugby League and shows what a great judge of talent Bevo is when you look at some of the players he has coached over the years and where they have got to in their careers.

Reply #812776 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Taylor Britt looking more likely to take backup point guard spot.
Norton and Britt might not appear strongest pairing but Cotton will probably help with ball handling duties.

All comes down to how Perth fill the starting big spots.

Reply #813157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754