Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks set to sign Jessup as Next Star; teams concerned

From a report by Olgun:

The Hawks are closing in on securing Boise State wing Justinian Jessup as a Next Stars player for the 2020-21 NBL season, sources have told ESPN.

Jessup, 22, averaged 16 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game as a senior, and is set to begin his professional career in the NBL.

The 6'6 small forward is automatically eligible for the 2020 NBA Draft, because he's a recent college graduate, and has the potential to be a late second-round pick. Jessup is currently the 81st ranked player in the ESPN Top 100.

The NBL's Next Stars program became open to draft-and-stash players when the New Orleans Pelicans' second-round pick, Didi Louzada, signed with the Sydney Kings for the 2019-20 season. However, Jessup being set to join the initiative as a player who's yet to be drafted has caused exasperation among other teams, sources said."

Next Stars definition continues to expand. First for guys who will be draft-eligible in the future, then for guys already drafted, and now for guys whose draft has passed (and might not even get drafted).

Topic #47500 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should just be called fourth import spot

Reply #814674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks to be a sweet shooting lefty.

However why does he count as a Next Star? He's a 4 year college senior and automatically eligible for the upcoming NBA draft?

Reply #814676 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

You mean third import.
Really can't see anything wrong with this.
Ranked #81 on big board yet Louzada was drafted early in second round.

If other teams have a grievance then what's to stop them attempting the same thing?

Reply #814677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Really can't see anything wrong with this."

Except that the definition of a Next Star seems to keep changing.

Jessup is eligible for the 2020 (i.e. this year's) Draft. If he doesn't get drafted, how do you differentiate between him and another player who has just finished college and would be recruited as a "normal" import?

Is Next Star now available to sign any player about to enter their first pro season?

Reply #814678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ranked #81 on big board yet Louzada was drafted early in second round."

As shady as this was, at least I could differentiate Louzada as a guy who had just been drafted in the second round. i.e. his rights were actually held by a NBA team and there was solid reason to believe he would be a NBA player in the future.

Whereas Jessup hasn't gone through his draft yet, but based on a ranking of #81, is unlikely to be drafted and hence is like any other free agent import.

Reply #814679 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's annoying when the rules continue to change,
and when they seem to make less sense, seem to increasingly overlap the general definition of an import, and seem to go against the whole rationale for Next Star.

And for those saying "oh other teams can just go and do it" no, that's not how rules are supposed to work.
Teams set out to build their rosters in accordance with the rules as they stand. Maybe even looking at and overlooking players based on those rules. Changing the rules at the last moment is disadvantageous to other teams.
If, after everyone else has finalised their rosters, Perth signs another 3 imports because of changes to the rules. (Because Wani now qualifies as a NS, and Cotton & Plumlee qualify as locals under the "near-enough" clause), id that fair "cos other teams can do it"???

Besides the whole purpose of the program was to showcase our league using high-profile draft prospects. Now you;re talking about a guy who won't be drafted and will attract absolutely zero attention next season.

Reply #814683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just define the rule more clearly.
Young prospect before draft eligible and first year nba draftee stash

Reply #814688 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The honest truth in all this is the NBL will do what it can to bring talent into the NBL.

The rules are the scope to create the opportunity, if someone falls outside of it they'll amend the rules.

Reply #814689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry got lot money in the hawks, have to be successful. Didi was dodgy, this more so.

Maybe just change the rules to two imports and any first year professional player no matter what country there from.

Reply #814692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just define the rule more clearly.
Young prospect before draft eligible and first year nba draftee stash"

Jessup wouldn't fit in either of those categories if he doesn't get drafted.

Reply #814695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, probably waiting till draft.

Reply #814698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more talent the better.

It forces other teams to get better and makes a more enjoyable product... why the push back?

Reply #814708 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Giving the Kings a leg up last season by allowing them to sign a Louzada as a NS was bad enough when draft and stash guys were always counted as imports (James Ennis, DeAndre Daniels, Devon Hall etc) but this guy Jessup is a regular import just coming straight from college rather than already being a pro like Deshon Taylor at the Sixers last season.

If the league just allows teams to circumvent the NS situation just to sign a third import (fourth import in future) that doesn't count against the roster it opens up a pandora's box as not all teams will be competing on a level playing field. It was difficult late last season watching the Kings with effectively four imports at times.

Reply #814711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just clean up the rules and it'll be fine.

Maybe add u22 overseas kid as NS, could be a prospect between 18-22, a college or overseas signee or a drafted stash player u22.

I also think Asian player should be seperate and not counted as local. Keep 2 imports.

Reply #814713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21/22

2 imports
1 Asia
1 NS
8 Aussie/kiwi

Reply #814714 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

They've probably changed the rules and told the teams but haven't done some big press release about it. Fact is, to keep the concept alive they're going to have to keep evolving it. You have to remember that college rules and G League opportunities changed as of this season. Of course the NBL was going to respond.

Reply #814716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they need to keep the concept alive though? A player like Jessup was already an option for teams to sign as a regular import. Now the league is bending rules on a whim to try and make the NS program relevant.

Reply #814717 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

The plus for Jessup is he hasn't played pro ball yet unlike Ball and Louzada.

With the draft in mid October and the NBA and NBL both projected to start in December that could influence these kind of signings.

I would give an 18/19/20 yo a maximum of 2 years as NS.

Any older players should be strictly 1 year like Jessup.

Reply #814719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth h are going to win again so

Reply #814720 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would give an 18/19/20 yo a maximum of 2 years as NS.

Any older players should be strictly 1 year like Jessup.

The whole point of the NS program is to sign these players to 2 year deals so the NBL gets NBA buyout money if they get drafted/signed after the first year.

Reply #814737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is Melb United signing a prospect named Vince Carter to the next stars program

Reply #814738 | Report this post

Logical  
Years ago

Now that the cheap little Hawks are bending the rules, all the rich teams have a whinge.

Reply #814743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's got nothing to do with which team is bending the rules. It's the fact that the league is still making it up as they go along.

Reply #814745 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It was just ridiculous seeing the Kings run with 4 imports last season and all the while with Smith denying they have used their third import spot.

I am OK with these NS changes providing they are done early and all teams can take advantage of them.

Reply #814746 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"It's got nothing to do with which team is bending the rules. It's the fact that the league is still making it up as they go along."

Yep, agree. Even when it benefits the Kings ala Didi, it's one of a couple of things that makes the NBL continue to look amateurish despite all the other improvements.

Reply #814750 | Report this post

Logical  
Years ago

True

Reply #814755 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They did.
And then they changed them
and so they did, again.
Now they have changed them, again.

Reply #814757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow...obviously Jessup only gets NS signed if he's drafted. This clearly means NBA teams are looking at him and Hawks with their connections have expressed interest.

Stop with the whinging.

Reply #814772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it obvious? The implication in the article is that he will be signed as a next star before the draft. We will just have to wait and see

Reply #814774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright, stop the whinging then.

Reply #814775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps the delay of the NBA season and draft, possibly post start of NBL season is the reason for allowing this.

Reply #814776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get that when they get drafted, the NBA buys out the contract which is why the NS gets signed for 2 years. My question is, who pays for the first year (and 2nd if they go in drafted), the NBL or the club? If it's the NBL, looks like the hawks are not only getting a 3rd import, but they’re getting him for free.

Reply #814783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL pays $100k. The club can pay more on top of that outside the cap if they choose to

Reply #814790 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

I guess the Wildcats can get two more imports (Machado, Oliver) after all.

Reply #814792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, thanks #790 so hawks are getting a 3rd import for free, or if they're chipping in to top up the 100k, very cheap. Seems pretty bogus

Reply #814798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why bother calling it the NBL perhaps just say its an internal league as teams are 40% foreign and if you count the Asian players can be 50% non Aussie.

Reply #814807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the point of next stars was to increase the league's marketability. Add a new wrinkle by getting future NBA draft picks playing in the league. It worked great last season in terms of online viewers. It makes sense that the league picks up the tab from that angle. Can't see anyone tuning in from overseas to watch a guy who has already gone undrafted.

Reply #814809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know why people are complaining about this so much. NS program has brought so much exposure to the league, far more than signing a local as a 10th man who only gets garbage time minutes.

Reply #814820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exposure is fine. making up rules as you go along is not.

Reply #814823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outside of LaMelo who is a Social Star....who else is a real next star?

Reply #814826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's also the fact that it’s paid for by the league, I’m sure every team would love to have a guy straight out of 4 years of college (who’s good) for free

Reply #814856 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Imagine the response on here if Perth got a player of Jessup's calibre as a next star.

Reply #814857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremy loeliger commented about next star rules on NBL overtime. He said due to the changed timing of the draft effectively all college seniors are eligible for next stars.

Reply #815002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL changing the rules yet again. How about they actually try to get this season happening.

Reply #815008 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Lot of complaining here haha.

Next Stars initiative was fantastic for the league. High viewers, large crowds, more exposure for the league. What more could you ask for.

Sydney having 4 imports was not the end of the world, yes I agree it takes away roster spots for our talented Aussie and Kiwi players, but isn't our league called the "National Basketball League." If the league wants to get stronger and expand, I’m all in the NBL having stronger rosters for the International stage.

But clearly the NBL need to work on the Next Stars rule. I am not clear if NBL teams could have 5 imports on a team last season. 3 imports, 1 Next Star which Sydney had. For example was Sydney allowed to sign Speical restricted player from Asia because they take a local spot?

Anyway having extra import spot is great because it makes each teams rosters stronger. I would like to see NBL try and expand a team in Asia again. There’s much more exposure of basketball in Asia now compared too when the Singapore Slingers were playing in the league. Internet has improved a lot since then which helps having a team. The biggest issue is travel and when will covid end??

Reply #815011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremey is such an inspiring guy and is a real go getter who just understands business and the game!

Listening and watch him I know the game is in such great hands!

Reply #815016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but isn't our league called the "National Basketball League." If the league wants to get stronger and expand, I'm all in the NBL having stronger rosters for the International stage. “

Why do rosters need to be stronger for the international stage?

Reply #815017 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

International league I mean, my bad...

I want NBL to compete with NBA even though our league is so behind. Probably would rate Spanish league over the NBL. I want to see every NBL rosters to be stacked and even. I know most teams now are stacked. I think NBL should increase to 2 more import spots but only if NBL can get to 12 to 14 teams like how the 90's were. They need to simulate how Spanish league is run, only issue is money and that is the reason why NBL is probably 3rd best league.

NBL should also consider a rule were one to two Aussies or Kiwis have to be on court at all times so then we don’t get Sydney Kings issue like last season.

If NBL has Asian teams join for expansion then their rosters should contain best players from the Asian region. CBA all star team always competed well against our semi professional NBL All Star team.

Reply #815090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complete

Illawara Hawks-Goorjan
6'4 T.Harvey(I)/6’1 E.Naar
6’5 J.Simon(I)/6’7 J.Jessup(NS)/6’2 I.White
6’7 D.Adel/6’6 D.Grida
6’8 D.Deng/6’6 M.Darling
6’9 C.Bairstow/6’11 S.Froling
DP
6’0 L.Dent?
6’6 H.Harris?

Reply #815158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Jois over grida injury

Reply #815159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i cant see deng deng start at pf

Reply #815160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBL should also consider a rule were one to two Aussies or Kiwis have to be on court at all times so then we don't get Sydney Kings issue like last season."

Yes please explain the Sydney issue where they had 2 imports, and next star and then an injury replacement imported player. During the finals they only played with two imports and a NS. But yeah go on an talk your nonsense.

Reply #815161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'4 T.Harvey(I)/6'1 E.Naar
6’5 J.Simon(I)/6’7 J.Jessup(NS)/6’2 I.White
6’7 D.Adel/6’8 D.Deng
6’8 V.Jois/6’6 M.Darling
6’9 C.Bairstow/6’11 S.Froling

Grida May pushout white or deng

Reply #815162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jois is rubbish, stop this nonsense. You would be better off with Smith-Milner.

Reply #815168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No u wouldn't lol.

Reply #815169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'

Reply #815171 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, still struggling with this, especially given Perth signing Mooney.

Mooney's year older, but they both just finished 4 years at College, and neither is that highly rate.

Jessup named 2nd team in the Mountain-West conference,
Mooney 1st team in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
(I don't follow college ball so got no idea of the relative strengths)

So please explain, what is the definition of a "Next Star" that includes Jessup but excludes Mooney?

Reply #815405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:11 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754