D2.0
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign local Andrew Ferguson as DP

https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/wildcats-sign-wa-big-man-andrew-ferguson

Well, the plot thickens, with Perth signing a 7-footer to their extended bench.

Ferguson is midway through his college career in the US but has opted to stay in Perth, given the uncertainty surrounding COVID-19 and the upcoming NCAA season.

The 21-year-old has been training with the Wildcats throughout the 2020 off-season.

In the 2019/20 college season, Andrew Ferguson averaged 14.9 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Cal State Monterey Bay Otters.
The previous season, he played 17 games for the University of San Diego as a redshirt freshman.

Ferguson currently plays for the Lakeside Lightning in the SBL's West Coast Classic competition, where he is averaging 13.2 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists per outing

Topic #47560 | Report this topic

Andrew  
Years ago

I watched him play the weekend before last against the Suns. I was impressed and was thinking the Wildcats should pick him up as a development player.

He has a really nice 3 point touch.

Reply #816010 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Oh, also meant to say that the Cats will be evaluating other DP prospects at their trials early next month.
How many official DPs are teams allowed?

Reply #816016 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Good signing for us. Wilbur brought him to our attention. You guys keep writing him off and despite he isn't in mainstream media he sure knows a thing or two about basketball.

Reply #816017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many DPs can teams have

Reply #816018 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Good signing. Perth should imo
elevate him until an import slot becomes available.

Reply #816019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to play against him from the ages of around 14-18. Has great size being over 7 foot and a solid shot but I never rated him. He didn't know how to use his size well and didn't like things getting physical. Even if you were significantly shorter than him he wasn't too difficult to guard a lot of the time if you and your team knew what you were doing.

Its been 4 or 5 years since I've seen him play though, looks like he's improved quite a bit based on his stats and what I've read. I didn't think he'd be an NBL level player a few years ago so I'm excited to see how he's progressed.

Reply #816023 | Report this post

NBL FAN  
Years ago

Yeah mate players tend to improve over a 4-5 year period if they put in the hard yards

Reply #816045 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wolfpack developing for the Wildcats, nice.

Reply #816049 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh he plays for Lakeside. Kind of weird that we don't have this talent at Wolves. Any DPs from Joondalup capable?

Reply #816050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah mate players tend to improve over a 4-5 year period if they put in the hard yards"

Yeah no doubt people can improve, but by around 17-18yo or so you usually get a good idea of which athletes in any sport will make it, or at least show the potential to maybe make it one day. He just never came across as one of those to me. Kudos to him though, not trying to hate on the guy.

Reply #816055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys develop at different rates and sometimes a change of team/coaching etc can give a player the kick he needs.

Reply #816072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ferguson currently plays for the Lakeside Lightning in the SBL's West Coast Classic competition, where he is averaging 13.2 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.0 assists per outing

13/9 in the classic is about 7/4 in Lakeside A grade.

Reply #816085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has good touch and shooting ability for a centre of his size. His limitations are his foot speed and athleticism unfortunately. The S&C of the cats will help there but he won't be quick enough for the NBL for several years.

Reply #816090 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

Watched some of his highlights, too slow and ungainly..won't cut it in this league.

Reply #816091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ferguson slow??? who the heck have you guys been watching. I'd say his pace for his size is one of his strengths.

Reply #816095 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I imagine he's well short of professional quality, but that's why he's a DP.

Reply #816100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is shades of Luke Nevill all over.

He'll carve out his own niche as a pro eventually as you can't teach the kind of size he has. He wont be a superstar, but highly likely he will develop into a serviceable big if a team continues to invest into up-skilling him.

Reply #816107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754