Anonymous
Years ago

Montrezl racist comments to Luka Doncic

I'm sure we've all heard of it and NBA are trying to sweep it under the rug, but Montrezl's racist comments towards Luka what do we think?

Personally I think he needs a fine and a suspension and to do some diversity training because if it were the other way around and a white person said these comments to a black person, he would be kicked out of the league.

Respect to them both hugging it out though, but the racist comment was still made.

Topic #47564 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine the out cry if it was the other way around.

Reply #816043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would this diversity training look like?

Reply #816044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youre trolling. Ill allow it, but its noted.

Reply #816047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Black people can't be racist to bitch ass white boys!

Reply #816048 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yes my main issue with this is the double standards. If Luka had said that to Harrell, he would be crucified.

Every player would be on social media crying about injustice.

Reply #816054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine not understanding the difference between punching up and punching down.

Reply #816056 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Imagine starting a thread to discuss a comment and not bothering to explain what that comment was.

Reply #816057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha Punching up/Punching down?

They both equals on the court and millionaires so not sure how Montrezl is punching up?

Reply #816061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do love the ghetto names in the NBA...its like the people in the ghetto can't spell or on crack and just straight make it up.

Wonder why the kids can't get jobs....No boss is evening interviewing people with some of these names thank god they can play ball

Reply #816062 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Montrezl.

Reply #816065 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Just for some context.

Luka said to Montrezel Harrell "Stop flopping big man"

Montrezl responded with "B*tch a*ss white boy"

Montrezl has since apologised but imagine making a racist comment while wearing a social justice message on your jersey.

I honestly believe Luka would have been done for the season if he'd said something like this to Trez.

What is perhaps even more disturbing is that the NBA has turned a blind eye on this one and has done absolutely nothing about it. No comment from those players wearing "equality" on the back of their jerseys?

Trez has since apologised.

Reply #816066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wonder why the kids can't get jobs....No boss is evening interviewing people with some of these names“

#accidentallyleftwing

Reply #816068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" What is perhaps even more disturbing is that the NBA has turned a blind eye on this one and has done absolutely nothing about it. No comment from those players wearing "equality" on the back of their jerseys? "

Are you for real? You think the systemic racism And inequality problems that the athletes are highlighting begin and end with being called the n-word?

Reply #816069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats he got written on the back of his jersey?

Reply #816070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are you for real? You think the systemic racism And inequality problems that the athletes are highlighting begin and end with being called the n-word"

Are you for real? Who suggested this being anything other than a double standard at an entirely inappropriate time?

Reply #816077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I saw "EQUALITY" on some jerseys?
Someone please confirm

Reply #816080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are you for real? Who suggested this being anything other than a double standard at an entirely inappropriate time?"

Read the comment I responded to. The equality the NBA players are speaking up about is not just being called the n-word.

Which is more of an outrage to you? Montrezl calling Luka a white boy, or Jacob Blake being shot in the back by police after breaking up a fight?

Reply #816082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above has nothing to do w topic.
Its a clear double standard.
If you can't see this, you are the racist.

Reply #816083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha that isnt how racism works, idiot.

Reply #816084 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Standard NBA. They did the same with the Hong Kong issues.

Reply #816087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't give me the whole oppressed people cant be racist BS.

If you judge or negatively comment on someone because of their skin colour, you are racist.
This goes any way you want it to.

Reply #816088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Harrell:

If gone get the story get it right...no one spoke wit me to do anything... Nothing but respect for Luka he understood the heat of the battle and he said it didn't bother him only RESPECT
Barkley and co:
Kenny Smith was glad Harrell apologized and added, "We all need to break the habit" of using that kind of language. Shaquille O’Neal noted a lot of things are said to competitors on the court, and Charles Barkley pointed out “you can’t have a double standard.”

Reply #816092 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous Reply #816082,

Maybe get your facts right about Jacob Blake first and then we can have a conversation.

Reply #816097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah here we go...more outrage over someone calling someone else white boy than there is about another black man being shot in the back by police.

What facts are being missed?

Reply #816099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The facts of the topic.
Want to discuss the shooting, start a seperate thread.
Montrzl and the shooting can and should be discussed indepedently, for people with a brain

Reply #816101 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Not more outrage at all. We all want equality but the equality has to be equal. My comments were only highlighting the lack of condemnation from the NBA. I'm pleased Shaq, Kenny and Charles have spoken up but as an organisation they must commit to make a stand against ALL racism. Here they failed to do so.

I'd encourage you to do more research into the James Blake case rather than just reading the first headline. As the previous poster said, it's not necessary to drag that conversation into this.

It's incredibly sad, America is in a horrible position right now.

Reply #816102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Montrzl and the shooting can and should be discussed indepedently, for people with a brain"

Apparently they can't be, because the immediate reaction from many people here is that the players are fighting for equality and justice, due to a litany of incidents in recent years and of course throughout history, but due to Montrezl using a slur that does not have the same impact as anything black people have faced, they are prepared to dismiss any demand for equality.

Reply #816103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure Aussie Hoopla and ME will soon have their two cents to add about how white people are the real victims of oppression.

Reply #816104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ah here we go...more outrage over someone calling someone else white boy than there is about another black man being shot in the back by police.

What facts are being missed?"

Because one instance was about overt racism and the other one was about a person ignoring orders from several police who had their guns drawn, walking around his car and reaching in for who knows what?

Reply #816105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So both issues about overt racism then.

Reply #816109 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"One was about a person ignoring orders from several police who had their guns drawn, walking around his car and reaching in for who knows what?"

We can't have Police using disproportionate force, enforcing the law and respecting the rights of citizens is critical to a functioning democracy - if someone in a Police uniform is not able to do their job properly, they should not be in the Police force.

With the recent occurrences it has been fundamentally clear the particular cops acted beyond their role as Officers, against the law and committed a crime. Nobody can commit a crime behind a badge or role.

Reply #816110 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Someone needs to say bitch black ass to see what reaction come off it, if it's a massive reaction then it confirms that the whole Black Lives Matter movement is a total farce.

Reply #816111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again, equating a slur with the entire fight for equality and justice is really showing you don't understand the issues black people have faced and continue to face.

Reply #816112 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

My problem is the hypocrisy. If this were 2008, and we were before all of the constant lecturing from the left about racist, I'd take no particular interest in a black player calling a white player a "bitch ass white boy".

But we're not. We live in a time when everyone is trying to promote their own virtue, and when racism is found in the smallest possible things and denounced.

So how exactly, in the current climate, is it okay for a player to racially vilify another player?

"Imagine not understanding the difference between punching up and punching down."

They're both equals on the basketball court. Doncic isn't even American. There is no history of slavery or oppression of blacks in his blood line to even talk about. They both are also multimillionaires.

The only way this could have been "punching up" is if you believe that blacks are inferior to whites and that the insult was akin to a child insulting an adult.

"Which is more of an outrage to you? Montrezl calling Luka a white boy, or Jacob Blake being shot in the back by police after breaking up a fight?"

It may surprise you to learn that these two things have absolutely NO correlation to eachother, and that both things are entirely wrong and inappropriate.

It's like saying "yeah, I murdered someone. But have you heard of serial killers? yeah so bigger problems out there, ya know. Ignore me!"

"Don't give me the whole oppressed people cant be racist BS."

Yeah exactly. One, I find it hard to see someone who makes millions of dollars for putting a ball in a ring as "oppressed".

Two, we can all see that the rord "racism" has been hyjacked by university nut jobs to mean things about "structures of oppression" that rarely make sense when examined, rather than its original meaning - the hatred or mistreatment of someone due to their race.

----

Anyway I don't need to see a banning. I don't need to see this Montrezl character crucified in the media for it. But a media release from the NBA saying something along the lines of "we do not tolerate racial harassment of any kind in our league" that highlights why the league doesn't support the comment, nor any comment to anyone about race, would suffice and make enough of a unifying statement to all.

But of course, we wont see that.

Reply #816113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What doesn't make sense about the structures of oppression?

Reply #816114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When "the hatred or mistreatment of someone due to their race" is built to many facets of life for minorities all throughout American history, then no one is hijacking the word. They are bringing all the issues to the forefront but unfortunately, ignorant people choose to remain ignorant.

Reply #816115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matty A is back!

Reply #816116 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"When "the hatred or mistreatment of someone due to their race" is built to many facets of life for minorities all throughout American history, then no one is hijacking the word. They are bringing all the issues to the forefront but unfortunately, ignorant people choose to remain ignorant"

We can have the conversation about systems of oppression another time. But was what Montrezl said racist and inappropriate at this particular time? Does it make hypocrites of himself and people like him who rally against racism? Absolutely, yes it does and yes it is racist.

I'm not gonna clutch my pearls and ask for the guy's job. And I am not going to pretend it hurts anyone nearly as much as if someone dropped an N bomb. But it was inappropriate. It was calling someone out for their skin colour. It was bunching Doncic in with the "bad" in our race, solely for his skin colour. And while I appreciate Montrezl apologizing, the NBA should have made a statement on the matter saying that ALL races are to be respected on court.

Reply #816119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is what MH said inappropriate "at this time"?

Reply #816121 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well it's inappropriate at all. But in a time of heightened racial tensions while everyone on his team is wearing jerseys about "equality" and "Black Lives Matter" it is highly hypocritical, unless of course you accept Black Lives Matter is little more than an anti-white movement? Which maybe you do, seeing as they've been walking the streets demanding whites give up their homes... but I digress.

Reply #816122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But in a time of heightened racial tensions while everyone on his team is wearing jerseys about "equality" and "Black Lives Matter" it is highly hypocritical,"

Not sure how many times it needs to be said but what minorities are currently fighting for goes a long way beyond slurs.

"unless of course you accept Black Lives Matter is little more than an anti-white movement?"

Ah, there's the racist and ignorant ME we'd been waiting for.

Reply #816123 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I reckon Doncic couldn't give a shit and there's a group of people trying to feel offended for him.

Reply #816124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its more they are trying to use this incident to continue to dismiss the fight for justice and equality because it makes them feel better to pretend racism doesn't exist.

Reply #816125 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

No one is pretending racism doesn't exist. But you can't cry about racism while being racist. I already said that what Montrezl said isn't the same as a white guy saying the N word. BUT it is hypocritical to not shut down the racial slur, regardless of if there is other things going on.

As for getting offended for other people, isn't that what the left spends its life doing?

Reply #816126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME thinks that once slavery ended, so did racism.

Reply #816127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for getting offended for other people, isn't that what the left spends its life doing?"

Oooh, edgy.

Reply #816128 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

I was with you until the last bit ME. Clearly you don't have Sky News. Or watch 7. Or 9...or breakfast tv on 10.

Reply #816131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say he watches whatever channels Prue McSween and Rita Panahi are on.

Reply #816132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"ME thinks that once slavery ended, so did racism."

Who told you slavery had ended?!

Reply #816133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BLM movement is invalidated because Montrezl Harrell said bad thing! Mmm yes, I am very smart

Reply #816136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Racism is only against blacks if they say bad word to whitey it's okay just gaslight the clear hypocrisy oh look how smart and woke i am.

Reply #816138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps running away from cops and reaching into a car when guns are drawn and the police are asking you to stop isn't a good idea.

Lets be honest guns are everywhere in the USA i can see clearly why the officers shoot that dude.

BLM but sure people need to be a touch smarter than that!

Reply #816139 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

As for getting offended for other people, isn't that what the left spends its life doing?

You're saying the left-wing people have empathy for the plights of others?

That sounds like a good trait to me.

I would imagine the alternative is to be dismissive which is essentially ignorance, a trait that doesn't really sound so good to me.

There's nothing pragmatic about ignorance, it's just 'not getting it'.

Reply #816140 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm finding it tough getting into this year's playoffs

Between the digital fans, and the messages on the singlets, it really is like watching a video game.

Reply #816141 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Not really following the season much either.
Am impressed with Doncic though can see him winning an MVP within a few years.

Reply #816142 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yup Doncic is an absolute star for his age!

Reply #816145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A few competitive match-ups in the West and then the East is about to get feisty in the next round. That reasonably level field should make for interesting results from the semis on.

Reply #816147 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

ME
"No one is pretending racism doesn't exist. But you can't cry about racism while being racist."

Anonymous:
"ME thinks that once slavery ended, so did racism."

.... yeah, maybe working on that reading comprehension.

"BLM movement is invalidated because Montrezl Harrell said bad thing! Mmm yes, I am very smart"

BLM is invalidated because they've spent the last three months destroying their cities over the death of a criminal

Reply #816148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV it is tough watching it as outside Luka the league to just shoving messages down everyone's throat so wish they’d just play and we could enjoy the game and player interviews without all the BS.

Was refreshing to see the Boban interview the other night and remember the game is fun not a political statement being made by millionaires/billionaires

Reply #816149 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

BLM [a movement designed to see change to issues surrounding black people] is invalidated [that's an opinion you are framing as a statement that's simply a grammatical and logical fallacy] because they've spent the last three months destroying their cities [a small portion of people, many of whom aren't black] over the death [alleged murder, even Police Offers can't just go around killing people, the Officers are being prosecuted with murder because that's the law, a law in which the integrity is so important you proceed to classify the victim as a "criminal" within] of a criminal [person arrested by Police - arrest does not mean a person is to be prosecuted, prosecuted only means alleged, guilt means they did wrong but not necessarily a criminal, conviction means criminal]

Reply #816150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"BLM is invalidated because they've spent the last three months destroying their cities over the death of a criminal"

Incredibly ignorant.

Reply #816151 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Incredibly impressive mental gymnastics used to convince oneself that it made one iota of sense.

Evangelical at its finest!

Reply #816152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"there is a history of racism in America that goes back centuries"

"yeah but they threw a brick through a windows in protest so I don't care"

Thats ME in a nutshell.

Reply #816153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" the game is fun not a political statement being made by millionaires/billionaires"

Poor baby. I'm so sorry that you have to listen to powerful people use their voices for those who cant.

Just because they're now millionaires, it doesn't mean they have never experienced racism.

Reply #816154 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754