Anonymous
Years ago

NBL considering hub and delayed start to season

This just in fromt the Herald Sun. Not e that United have just announced they have resumed light training (no caontact) The Age article link below.
"The NBL is leaning towards delaying the 2020/2021 season until late January and running through to May in a bid to allow fans to attend games to maximise the league's long-term financial security. A hub to at least start the season is also firming. The new campaign is set to start on December 3, but it’s understood league officials and the clubs are keen to delay the season to benefit all parties."

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/20202021-nbl-season-set-to-be-delayed-to-maximise-leagues-financial-security/news-story/99305b9ca5dca776fdd27aef60d59229

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-resume-training-after-covid-19-outbreak-20200831-p55qxk.html

Topic #47591 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

" To allow fans to attend games" like they do for AFL and NRL right now?

This isn't good news and undertones of LK being under immense pressure

Reply #816465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By the end of January people will have forgotten the nbl even exists. Early December or people will move onto other summer sports.

Reply #816466 | Report this post

Yes crunch time is looming for the NBL.

Reply #816469 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The NBL won't be forgotten if its delayed further. Evwryone knows by now what's going on with covid. Simply put, if maximum crowds aren't allowed, which make up the majority of clubs revenue, then there should not be any games played.

Playing to a maximum half full capacity or empty stadiums is not really an option for the league that can't sustain itself on its TV deal to get through.

Reply #816473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who willl fund a hub? League?

Reply #816475 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Apart from Melbourne, I don't think letting crowds in is the issue? I think its the travel restrictions.

I think most cities would be in position to allow crowds by December, with the obvious possible exception of Melbourne. But its a risk, anything could change between now and then

But I'm not sure delaying it to next year is the answer. There's going to be a lot of people foaming at the mouth waiting for the start of the next AFL season. That's really going to bite into things.

Reply #816476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing questions haven't been asked about how this all eventuated? Like how did Melbourne United have a COVID-19 outbreak? When they had permission from the Government as a professional sporting team?

Like who was responsible for protocols at their trainings? Who was training with the contracted players?

Bit of a shit show from an organisation that claims to be beyond reproach when it comes to their image within the NBL.

Reply #816477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a virus. Protocols are not fool proof. SEM also had an outbreak. Daz you forget basketball is an indoor sport and this the crowd limitations will be different. Vic and NSW won’t be able to host big indoor crowds. QLD now getting new cases things could shift very quickly over the next 2 months. A January start will be the earliest in a best case scenario

Reply #816478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ has plenty of towns that could have a hub at reasonable costs. If you're going to wait till late January you might as well cancel the season. The afl, league, premier league and various other sports will take the interest away.

We’ve been told how well the nbl has been travelling for the last few season, all to find out that players have to take pay cuts and now no one got any money. Same old same old.

Reply #816479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every professional league has taken pay cuts!!

Reply #816480 | Report this post

SEM also had an outbreak. Did they? Never heard that previously. Citation needed.

Reply #816481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No outbreak at SEM

Reply #816485 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Yeah it will be a 21' season we can drop the 20/21.

Reply #816490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria is going to open up and state travel will be forced open shortly as well.

Thank god its about to be over as everyone is running out of cash so bring on crowds and the NBL!!!

Reply #816491 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"" To allow fans to attend games" like they do for AFL and NRL right now?

This isn't good news and undertones of LK being under immense pressure"

What are you even on about? Immense pressure from whom?

And you can't compare the crowds in the AFL to NBL crowds and justify it. If you socially distance crowds at NBL games you're going to have, at best two thousand seats filled. The NBL doesn't have the broadcasting agreements that either the AFL nor NRL have, so teams cannot survive on piss-ant crowd sizes because crowds constitute the majority of their revenue.

Delaying until January is the obvious decision.

But please continue to elude to some clandestine "immense pressure" he must be under, like the house of cards is falling in on him for doing the obvious thing.

"Yes crunch time is looming for the NBL."

Yeah, if the NBL delays until they're able to run a viable competition that will certainly be the end of the NBL!

A couple of turkeys here.

Reply #816493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its great news lets get back to business and the NBL can't wait!!

It will be awesome and saves the league for disaster

Reply #816494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article245382320.html

This explains the 6% myth that dipshits are making viral.

Reply #816497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@me you need to understand LK's other business' that fund the NBL. Rental income has seized in Victoria, assets are depressed and tenants are vacating. He has had lawsuit after lawsuit before COVID started about his last apartment deal. Pressure is well and truly on.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/buyers-fail-to-pay-up-in-glittering-south-yarra-mega-development-20200514-p54sze.html

https://www.afr.com/property/commercial/retail-is-not-dead-larry-kestelman-toasts-grand-leasing-success-20200130-p53w4n

Reply #816498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's still worth $750mill. Pretty sure that didn't disappear in the past six months.

Reply #816499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who says he is worth 750m?

His biggest asset sold for $203m 7 years ago

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/growth/dodo-chief-larry-kestelman-tells-smartcompany-why-i-just-sold-my-company-for-203-million/

Reply #816500 | Report this post

I think he was 1/2 share holder as well.

Reply #816501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Curious where the malice towards the NBL comes from. Like many other sporting leagues and businesses, they're making adjustments on the fly to prepare for whatever scenario might exist when they start the season. But some people seem to relish the idea that this is all an existential threat. And beyond that, are really driven to convince other people of it.

Is it that you dislike the current model of the NBL? That you like the NBA and dislike the NBL? (In which case, go watch NBA, surely?) Just like arguing? Something else?

Reply #816502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes everyone think it's going to better at end January than start of December, this shit isn’t going away, find the money to start it in hub conditions or call the season off.
In all honesty LK has done great job these last few seasons but he has to much money in a few teams, United, Hawks, Bullets, and is probably over stretched. It happens so maybe approach, Perth or Sydney owners to take some of the business over, both have supposedly large funds.

Reply #816505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called tall poppy syndrome Issac

Reply #816506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His estimated wealth is widely available if you bothered to google something more recent.

Reply #816508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did he firesale his super yacht to Clive Palmer last month?

Reply #816509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe because there is no need to have a yacht when you can't travel anywhere?

Reply #816511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy has hundreds of millions in property's in extremely desirable locations his also about to start a 150mill property development in Tasmania on the waterfront land he got for sweet fuck all in the deal with the tas government while he may be hurting a bit like most businesses people his not exactly on his knees

Reply #816513 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes, LK is under huge pressure, but so what?
You think it's easy managing a multi-billion dollar empire?

He reputably has a net worth of #750M. He wants to be sure that post covid that its not $700M, so yes there's a lot of pressure.
That doesn't mean he has to fold everything up!

And in the same vein, he hasn't invested millions in the NBL, only to throw it away for one bad season.

Reply #816515 | Report this post

Kestleman has a deal with the Tas Government and AFAOK he hasn't sighned off on the DEC deal. The DEC is now empty, closed and no staff. Until Kestleman signs off on the deal nothing will happen what so ever. The $150mill deal for the development of the land is simply pie in the sky until he commits to that as well. So right now they are hiring people with no real purpose. Better get it done LK. Release everyone now because there will be lucky to be a season next year. That will then give Tassie a fair shot at getting a good team if Tassie ever gets to see an NBL side.

Reply #816520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know where you’re getting your info from mate but it’s not accurate Larry kestleman does not have anything to do with the dec deal itself the government will be keeping ownership of it and redevelopmenting it Lk will be leasing for the nbl team to play games in there’s nothing for him to sign off on plans for the redeployment are currently in the approval stage work was never due to start until the end of September I know this as my partner works at the council his property deal was always goi to be signed off on at a later date I believe a 24 month timeline was agreed to with the government for works to commence

Reply #816525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An in addition to "NBL to be delayed again" do you think someone like Brookhouse is going to leave a plum job at Golf Australia for some pie in the sky job that is never going to happen in Tassie due to the reasons you claim? If you're going to talk utter rubbish you might want to make it slightly believable.

Reply #816527 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yawn. Every league is under the pump. Every real estate investor is under the pump. there's nothing special about any of this in these times, and a logical and appropriate delay in play is not indicative of the world falling in on the NBL!

Reply #816528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#525 learn to punctuate please

Reply #816532 | Report this post

If there is no NBL side there will be no DEC repairs. The development of the land around the DEC has to be started as major development within 5 years not 2.
I repeat again the improvements at the DEC will not go ahead nor will the extra courts there if there is no guarantee of an NBL team.The new staff are paid from the $2mill that the Government has promised. Right now LK is contributing nothing.

Reply #816534 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

ME is actually right here

Reply #816536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offence but you are 100% wrong mate the nbl team has already been signed of on and agreed to buy both parties. Larry and nbl couldn't pull out now even if they wanted to do unless they wanted a large lawsuit also do you really think the state government is going to hand over 2million$ or start paying for team related things if there was not a agreement or contract in place ? As for the dec that doesn’t even meet safety standards and is close to being in a unusable condition it was always getting a redevelopment of some sort nbl or not. The practice courts training centre your alluding to had nothing to do with the nbl deal this was funded for at the last election well before the nbl . And like you said Lk property deal was always going to happen at a later date it has no bearing on the nbl team even if Larry kestleman pulled out of the development the government would have no trouble selling the land to other developers

Reply #816537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hub POINTLESS without a TV deal....
LK will delay delay delay until borders open

Reply #816548 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Question that's not necessarily related to this discussion - but what does LK actually get out of the league / what is his long term plan with the league? Is it merely a passion project, or more of a long-term business plan?

Reply #816551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its for Larry Junior!

Reply #816552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bit of both for LK. He’s extremely passionate about basketball in Aus at all levels, but also hopes to build the NBL up to be a profitable league at some point

Reply #816554 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

He is a visionary, unlike most the morons on this forum who have no idea have have extreme little man syndrome.

Reply #816555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BeeGee, he's been quoted a number of times as saying he's passionate about basketball in Australia. That said, he seems pretty keen on making money in the long term. He's sunk a shedload of money into the league so far (figure reported as $30 million in the first couple of years, presumably more by now) and it seems pretty unlikely he's gained anything other than tax write-offs and unpaid personal advertising so far.

I kind of think of him as like Bendat with the Wildcats - motivated by a mixture of passion and belief there's money to be made, or at least he can break even, if it's run right.

Long term, I wonder if his plan is to get the league to a break-even/profit stage, then sell his controlling stake to the fellow owners/investors. He could keep a stake in it, either through investment in the league itself or in one or more teams. That would feed his professed passion while still allowing him to realise a return on his investment.

Reply #816556 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think LK could have gone into this with anything other than a mixture of passion, personal involvement and an aim to use his business acumen to eventually turn a profit.

They are all obvious ingredients - it's not a money maker so the passion and personal involvement has to be there, but there's not much benefit out of plowing $30mil for a few years gratification. There is no doubt the vision is to increase value, increase revenue base, attract new capital etc and create a general league-wide viability.

Reply #816557 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Its for Larry Junior!"

Yawn. Always some idiot has to make out there some seedy, underhanded motive. tall poppy syndrome at its finest. If Larry hadn't thrown his money at the league (and he's thrown upwards of 20 million of his own money), you'd have no league to make stupid comments about.

"He is a visionary, unlike most the morons on this forum who have no idea have have extreme little man syndrome."

Boom.

Reply #816558 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm sure LK has an end game in mine. A couple of years after he took over the league it was reported he had spent in excess of $35 million on the league so that figure is probably closer to $50 million buy now especially after buying the NBA pre-season games.

I always assumed the first goal was to sell the league to the Chinese hence the early talk about a Chinese funded team on the Gold Coast and the NBL TV deal over there but I think he's probably angling for the NBA to take it over with the relationship now forged from the NBA pre-season games which also has the added benefit of legitimising the NBL globally.

Reply #816564 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Interesting, thanks all, I do remember reading LK is passionate about the NBL, but one would think an astute (judging by his worth) businessman surely wouldn't take on a $50m passion project!

Reply #816566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Until our population is 45+ million will sports be profitable in this country.

Reply #816567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back First Ever! Great quality apparel

Reply #816570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#567 the AFL says hello

Reply #816575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 575 lot off afl clubs afloat because of hand outs. Some clubs very profitable but most aren't. The afl is held up tv deals. The new generation of young people don’t watch tv, it will be interesting to see where they land in the next 20-30 years.

Reply #816577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I can see why the AFL are struggling when last season was the single season attendance record so as no one is going to games they are in trouble aren't they.

Reply #816578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL clubs dont make money from AFL , they make it form outside investments.

Reply #816579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry has done well til the last few years in my opinion.
The cash splash should always be noted, but when it is constantly brought up in regards to any critique of the NBL, its gets very old. How do you move fwd?
When its always, yeah he saved the league and put up big $, Ok cool, how do we move forward after the pat on the back?

Reply #816581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's OK for Larry to continue to spend his own $$$ and put a product out there for people to consume.

The problem is that no one is going to want to buy it this summer. Anyone watching the news today can see the level that discretionary spending has gone down.

1) People don't want to spend money on luxury items (going to a sporting event)
2) People aren't going to want to sit in big crowds while there's virus on the loose in the community.

The AFL doesn't need fans to "exist" - it's existing without fans quite well. It has TV money. Basketball isn't so fortunate. Could be a lean summer followed by a lean couple of years.

Reply #816583 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I suspect that those claimed numbers for LK's NBL spend are exaggerated.

I don't think he's in it as an investment. It's clearly a passion for him, and he has clearly spent millions of his own money, but wouldn't you if you could?

If I were worth 3/4 of a Billion, I'd certainly be lining up to buy the Wildcats.

I think his long-term plan, is getting more billionaires invested in teams, ideally generating a product that can generate worldwide telecast revenue, and building crowds to levels that approach sustainability.

Reply #816584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#583 have you seen crowds at the NRL in QLD? They do not care about social distancing and they love to go out to sport. The only way NBL21 doesn't go ahead is if QLD has a Victorian style COVID crisis. And between now and January that is entirely possible

Reply #816589 | Report this post

Yep. Just imagine the chaos if the AFL GF in Qld doesn't go ahead.

Reply #816594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL did announce Adelaide is on standby

Reply #816596 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We got passed over and my are the locals pissed off about it.

Reply #816597 | Report this post

Yeah cos Perth said we won't be dictated by the AFL. Dumb decision right there.

Reply #816598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dumb decision by who?

Reply #816602 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How is WA being pissed off by it any different to SA, or Queensland if they hadn't have got it?

All have pretty good arguments, the problem WA has is the stronger borders.

Otherwise you've got Adelaide Oval (the best ground, no outbreaks, border less problematic), Optus Stadium (largest capacity), Queensland (have been holding the hubs already)

Reply #816603 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How is WA being pissed off by it any different to SA, or Queensland if they hadn't have got it?

The ferals here (think of a giant Red Army) and the local media stoking the fire. It's pretty entertaining in a horror show kind of way.

Reply #816618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What KET was asking is how would it be any different if QLD'ers didn't get it. There would be manufactured media outrage too, plus there'd be selective social media posts to make it seem like the entire state is on edge....kinda like what you're doing now.

Reply #816640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun:

The NBL is discussing a delay of its initial hopeful start date, multiple 'bubble' options, and the possibility of relocating both Melbourne teams + the NZ Breakers, multiple sources told @ESPNAusNZ. Here are the details I gathered over the past few weeks.

Reply #816644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.news.com.au/news/nbl-nsw-government-says-homebush-and-wollongong-are-perfect-nbl-hubs-to-get-season-underway/news-story/cff4d1a01068435a215f17e0aaadab5a

Reply #816650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that would be excellent.

Reply #816651 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#640 Understood - can't disagree with the fake news aspect of it all.

Reply #816652 | Report this post

The latest here. Might be paywall. Sorry.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-nsw-government-says-homebush-and-wollongong-are-perfect-nbl-hubs-to-get-season-underway/news-story/cff4d1a01068435a215f17e0aaadab5a

Reply #816686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article by Uluc provides more details and context for the options being considered - https://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/29799146/how-2020-21-nbl-season-look

Selected quotes:
'December 3 had been marked by the NBL as a hopeful start date to the new season -- pushed back from the usual October commencement -- but that's moved back "at least 30-45 days", according to one source with knowledge of the discussions.'

'players across all teams began receiving salary payments in the middle of August.'

'The NBL's priority remains to work on solutions that would secure crowds at games, because any alternative is seen by the league to not be financially viable. Decision-makers within multiple teams have also privately acknowledged that playing games without fans is not feasible, sources said, though that sentiment isn't a consensus.'

'Four potential locations for an NBL bubble have been discussed as strong options, sources said: New Zealand, Cairns, Adelaide, and Perth. ... A bubble would feature all nine NBL teams functioning in one city, potentially on a temporary basis.'

'One option ... is for the two Melbourne teams to operate in a different state to begin the new season, before back-loading those teams' home games, sources said.'

'NBL has been working with Breakers owner, Matt Walsh, on potential solutions; one of which is relocating the team [NZ Breakers] to an Australian city for the season.'

'The lack of a firm start date to the season has also put a halt on the recruitment of imports, with multiple teams holding off on making significant signings until they know when the 2020-21 campaign will officially begin, sources said. '

'American imports who have signed ... have also pushed back their arrival date, ... many are now setting their sights on [arriving in] early-December.'

Reply #816713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting couple of articles published in the last couple of days:

Matt Logue (https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-nsw-deputy-premier-john-barilaro-ramps-up-hub-talks-with-the-nbl/news-story/84de5c02a0c89cb02fc0c5c42d3d0654) reports that NSW Government may be willing to tip some money into a Sydney hub at Homebush:

"It's understood that the NSW Government has shown willingness to contribute and assist with a hub model, including costs and funding to teams to offset the league’s revenue hit."

Blanchfield touts Perth as the place for an NBL hub. Unfortunately this article is behind a paywall (https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-recruit-says-a-hub-in-wa-makes-perfect-sense-for-nbl-ng-b881662061z).

Reply #817029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth still on the nose from their AFL snub. Also the ACB. The Nbl won't take any notice of that of course.

Reply #817108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL officially announce today Mid-January start

Reply #817251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he NBL has announced the 2020-21 Hungry Jack's NBL Season will start in early 2021.

Hungry Jack’s NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman said: "After consulting with the nine NBL clubs and the Australian Basketball Players’ Association and acting on the advice of our NBL Return to Competition Taskforce, we have decided the start of the season will be delayed until at least mid-January.

From the NBL website.

“The main reason for pushing the start of the season back to the new year is to give the clubs the best opportunity to play in front of as many fans as possible.
“We will remain flexible about the exact start date and this will depend on a number of factors including travel and border restrictions, community transmission numbers and availability at venues across Australia and New Zealand.
“We intend to play a full season and, if needed, we will play in one or more hubs to achieve this. We are currently having positive discussions with a number of interested States about potential locations."

Reply #817256 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think its the only option. NBL doesnt have TV money like NRL and AFL and (to a far lesser extent) Super Rugby (they'll have this problem soon though).

Hopefully Victoria's lockdown restrictions can continue to bring the numbers down to a point where playing games in Melbourne is viable in the new year.

Reply #817257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have started in a hub in December and moved on from there, if states open and flying is ok then back to normal, if not should have just continued the hub. We have been led to believe that the nbl was going gang busters, teams in nba preseason etc, probably would have been better putting a few bucks aside for the rainy day instead of tell all and sundry how great it was. Disappointed.

Reply #817258 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Honestly, at this point, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think they should have just canned this coming season.

Maybe substitute it with a once-off special "NBL Covid Challenge" featuring only the lower-piad local players.

Clearly there is still money in Europe, as shown by Kay, Motum, Reath, etc, so would have been better off letting the expensive players go for a season.

The recent announcement makes no sense. They say they have delayed it to play in front of crowds, but are still talking about hubs. Hubs don't work if you want crowds. Most teams struggle to get enough people to their own games. Who is going to turn up to neutral games?

If you did have a hub, in state X, you'd be better off playing the neutral games in Regional centres, because the country folk might actually turn out.

Reply #817259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, regional centre would have been great, starting in December. There is no certainty that it's going to be much better in late January, certainly after everyone flouts the rules over Christmas.

While euro money is still very good most contracts this season have covid clauses re money. Israel has just gone back into a national shutdown again, parts France and Spain struggling and other countries to follow. It why a lot players in the end returned to Australia’s nbl.

Reply #817261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two main things that are impacting NBL are Melbourne allowing crowds for sports and WA allowing travel into the state, both of which are unlikely until after Christmas.
So it is a very smart decision at this stage to delay until mid-January.

Reply #817262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If WA are letting the AFL have a travel exemption I'm sure the great Wildcats could swing it for the NBL

Reply #817263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When do you see crowds being allowed in for sport. WA, SA and Queensland have done remarkably well and still only allow about a third of stadium capacity. Not enough fans in that scenario to even make it worthwhile. Regional centre with low cost was the way to get rolling.

Reply #817264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide oval allows 25,000 so that is a little more than a 3rd of stadium capacity

Reply #817266 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Indoor venue vs outdoor venue will surely be a factor too.

Reply #817267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That will be and is the million $$ question Cram

Reply #817268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the bunnings cairns stadium need to ber built then, don't they finish works in February.

Reply #817269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CCC opens mid March.

Reply #817270 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Years ago

The nbl brass will be kicking themselves they didn't come on here to get our expert opinions before announcing.

Reply #817271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have watched any of the BWA WCC their crowds don't appear to be too affected and there is definitely no social distancing going on in the stands

Reply #817272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Most teams struggle to get enough people to their own games. Who is going to turn up to neutral games?"

Honestly, at this point, and with the benefit of hindsight, this is a very dumb comment.

Reply #817273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbl hub in perth w/ games at rac, hbf stadium, hbf arena, and bendat basketball centre

Reply #817275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#275 that would have worked, certainly to start the season.

Reply #817276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the WA Government allowed it. One of the issues they will have is how they source their officials for the Hub. Referee's, stats, scoretable, all these people have jobs and have probably been affected by COVID already.

Reply #817277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you talking about? They are already there surely.

Reply #817278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are already there?

Reply #817279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees, stats score table I'd say at a guess. Would’ve thought NZ would’ve been a good hub.

Reply #817282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA have 4 NBL referee's. 1 of those 4 has 1 game to his name. If you want to play at 4 stadiums as alluded to above you're going to need a few more. NZ has 2 ANBL referee's so that is going to be a problem. Then add that both areas only have a certain amount of qualified scoretable and stats and you have a bit of an issue with your officials.

Reply #817283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I forgot about the home cooking that the locals provide. Fair point about neutral refs. Stats are usually wrong so nothing to see there.

Reply #817289 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, I'm imagining the possibility of extra home cooking now. A tasty proposition but surely would never go ahead.

Reply #817290 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There are several different scenarios that could work out for hubs,
but the problem remains that you're not going to draw crowds, which is supposedly the reason for the delay.
Hosting 8 teams in say Perth would e simple enough, plenty of hotels around and plenty of courts to train on. But how many Perth people do you think are going to turn out to watch

Reply #817292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL wont be running a hub...no cash and if no crowds it will be a bigger money pit than it already is!

Reply #817293 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Nobody will expect any type of crowd to show up for neutral games including the NBL. So if they run a hub, they are obviously not concerned about attendance, but rather just getting the season underway.

Nobody is going to look at a neutral game and say "gee what a small crowd, there's barely anyone watching". The hub is not about crowds. So don't worry if no one shows up.

It will be an NBL concern as to how they will be able to fund this with no TV money and no other revenue being generated. Im assuming this is one reason for the delay, so they can have a minimal number of hub games if it gets to that.

Reply #817294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#293 and you know this how?

Reply #817297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL to now run to June?!?

Reply #817313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players contracts finish at end of April.

Reply #817314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well that will be interesting if players contracts stop before the end of the season

Reply #817316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will just sign contract extensions.

Reply #817319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be a good excuse for clubs unable to make finals to jettison some baggage and save some $'s.

Reply #817321 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nobody will expect any type of crowd to show up for neutral games including the NBL. So if they run a hub, they are obviously not concerned about attendance, but rather just getting the season underway.
They just delayed the season by another month, so they could get crowds.

Reply #817322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-talking-to-victorian-government-about-melbourne-basketball-hub-20200917-p55wjr.html

Reply #817500 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The reason we are having a hub is to avoid Victoria.

Why are the NBL talking to Victoria for a hub?

Reply #817503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems totally arse-about I agree

Reply #817506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cos LK can't be stuffed quarantining anywhere else. It's his comp after all. Agreed though....stupidity.

Reply #817507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes if it's going to be a hub start in early December, let players have ten days at home over Christmas, New Years and then hopefully continue in a home and away season or back to the hub there or elsewhere.
Ballarat and Bendigo would be great for hub and limited spectators, Cairns, Wollongong also could do it.

Reply #817508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would have to expect that if they are even entertaining the idea of doing a Hub in Victoria that the Andrews government is throwing buckets of cash at them.

Reply #817509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only reason for a hub is that Victoria is not safe, so it cant be there.
However, if Victoria becomes safe then no need for a hub?

Reply #817514 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

On a personal level, I would be mighty pissed if Victoria get rewarded for their stupidity & incompetence.

The entire reason that hard-borders will remain in place, probably several months longer than originally anticipated, is because of Victoria.

Besides, if we get to the point that it's safe to have crowds in Melbourne again, then we're probably not going to need to Hub all 9 teams.
Wildcats, Breakers, and maybe Sixers(?) would need to either ask to play all away games up front, or relocate to a City or Town without a hard border.

That said, at the moment, some travel restrictions are selective based on where you're coming from, so if Victoria is safe enough to host crowds, the restrictions will be less.

And if WA still has hard border come January, then I'll be stuffed.

Reply #817516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/foxtel-benefited-from-fast-tracked-federal-government-funds/12690954

This should help, it's to help sport, they millions every year. Basketball is an international sport and deserves this.

Reply #817708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article by Matt Logue on preparations for NBL 2020/21. Includes Loeliger referring to chance of a normal season (albeit starting in January) with contingency plan(s) for a hub, if needed.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-victoria-has-emerged-as-the-favourite-to-host-a-hub-to-start-the-2021-nbl-season-with-games-in-regional-centres/news-story/c7cac53c2f72a5979f436783fc00fb9b

Reply #819765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They hoping Vic can have crowds...indoor crowds might be the issue as criket/footy/tennis are outdoor events so hard to compare unless they open the roof at Melbourne Park to get around he rules.

Reply #819766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Open roof games in Melbourne.

Reply #819772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL put out a statement today (on nbl.com.au), confirming a mid-January start for the 2020-21 season and a deadline of December 3 for release of the season schedule.

That's it. No additional details in the statement.

Reply #821628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon SA might throw a spanner in that plan?

Australia needs to find a way to deal with it like other countries have.

Reply #821629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA may be irrelevant to the NBL's plans

Reply #821630 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Australia needs to find a way to deal with it like other countries have."

Like who, exactly?

Reply #821631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the places who don't shut down when one family has the sniffles!

Reply #821633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All the places who don't shut down when one family has the sniffles!"

Loser right there. Idiot.

Reply #821634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#634 +1

Reply #821635 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The NBL would hopefully be busy formulating strategies as we see now in SA, things can go from all clear to full lock down in a few days.

Even if SA gets the 'all clear' again, there is no guarantee that it won't deteriorate again.

What will happen if, one player is positive for Covid, or the starting five?

Does the NBL do extensive testing on the team and allow only uninfected players to play? Or do they forfeit or postpone the team's games until they are all clear?

What if SA were in full lock down but were going to host Sydney on the weekend? The Sixers forfeit?

There are so many moving parts to this, I don't envy the NBL at all.

Reply #821637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All Brisbane players and coaching staff now require 14 days quarantine after practice matches played in Adelaide.

Reply #821639 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

#634 +1

+1

Reply #821643 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

One family drops the ball and the whole state is now in lockdown - that's how volatile the situation is for us right now. We've gone from basically normal life to the country's harshest lockdown in the matter of three days.

I don't expect to be out of this in a week, either. Once state governments get a taste for a lockdown they seem to like keeping the pressure on. We're following a plan of "eradicating" the virus as opposed to suppression. The problem with eradication is there will always be spot fires, and are we really willing to shut down our entire lives for a handful of cases every couple of months?

This leaves the NBL, and every other business for that matter, in a pickle. They hosted preseason games in Adelaide less than a week ago. Imagine telling a home team during the season, "sorry, you cant host home games for the next 2-3 weeks. And there's no guarantee that we wont just pull the plug again later"?

That's not a viable solution for any business.

Nor is the hub. We don't get enough TV viewers to survive on TV alone. We need fans in stadiums. There may not be a way to guarantee that before any vaccine. The NBL may have just released its tentative starting date, but while we're under an eradication plan, and while no one seems to have any innovation to allow for it, I am not sure how they're going to make next season sustainable before a vaccine.

Adelaide has just proven that you can have a handle on the virus and suddenly lose your grip at any moment.

Reply #821646 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What is shows is that governments are slow learners.

Reply #821649 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's getting to the point where the NBL needs to start seriously considering abandoning the whole season. Release players and let them find work wherever they can.

There are plenty of different options for configuring a season, but the problem is that NBL clubs rely on bums on seats.
For that you need two things: Home games and Crowds.

Reply #821650 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What is shows is that governments are slow learners.

Does it?

Can you offer some clarity around how you would have prevented this re-occurance or dealt with the situation when it came out?

Reply #821651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME and that is the issue. SA went about life as if it was normal and until there is a vaccine nothing will ever be normal. No one social distances, no one cares about COVID protocols. So it took one cleaner with a big family to bring down the whole state because like most of Australia SA was complacent. It only takes one infected person at the NRL in Queensland to blow that state up too. Until there is a vaccine life will never be normal. You look at social media in WA, they are living normal pre COVID. One case and it's all over.

Reply #821652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said ME , it sounds like a massive over reaction to one outbreak (unless they know a lot more and not telling us) and all from the same case which they are contract tracing.
NSW seems to be able to manage these spot fires with less restrictions and has way more overseas travelers than other states.
Total lockdown cant be the way forward as strategy for every new case that arises.

Reply #821653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't catch it early hence anyone who went to a pizza shop between November 6 and 16 have to isolate. They have no clue where it is or has been. You only make these decisions when you are behind the curve.

Reply #821654 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The virus could go far and wide. Maybe the virus is already out of the box. BUT we need to evaluate whether the risks of THIS VIRUS is worth everything we're putting ourselves through.

Most people who catch it wont know they have it. Another lot will get "a little" sick. Another lot will get very sick. And a small segment of the population will sadly die.

That segment of the population are also susceptible to the flu, and there are of course outliers who are seemingly healthy that it happens to.

I wouldn't propose we throw our hands up and say "whatever" and let the virus do as it likes, but the risks are not such that we should be destroying everything for it.

We need to innovate new ways to cope with this until the vaccine comes.

Reply #821658 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If we just let the virus run its course, then all the hardship we endured the months previously would have been for naught.

Reply #821659 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It's amazing that so many people openly admit their ignorance regarding Covid and infectious disease response, yet still have the audacity to claim that this has been a "massive overreaction", misstate facts about case numbers etc. Your opinion does not matter.

Reply #821660 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Thats like saying "lets keep doing the wrong thing because we've spent a lot of effort doing the wrong thing"

I can see why theyre doing what they're doing but I think the harm is going to be greater than the virus.

Reply #821661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is virtually no flu this year due to covid. The problem apparently is this is a new strain of COVID and only takes 3 days to pass on to the next person.

Reply #821662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It cut lose again due to a quarantine issue again, no different to Melbourne or the ruby princess again. If the federal government had got off there arse and put in place federally controlled quarantine centres months ago maned by doctors and nurses Australia would be able to go about business as usual. There are federal bases all over Australia that could have been made operational quickly. The states have had to take all the responsibility when it's not even there jurisdiction. You get what you sow.

Reply #821663 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Thats like saying "lets keep doing the wrong thing because we've spent a lot of effort doing the wrong thing"

I can see why theyre doing what they're doing but I think the harm is going to be greater than the virus.

I have no metrics in how many people are losing their jobs and needing welfare.

I have no metrics in how many people are mentally impacted by this situation or how many families are impacted emotionally / financially.

I am focused more on the COVID result.

Victoria did A and COVID ran rampant, many died daily.
Victoria changed to doing B, things gradually improved now no infections or deaths for 18 days.
WA did hard lock down, they haven't had community infections for a while.
NZ did hard lock down, they haven't had community infections for a while, after that blip they had.
USA did Liberty before Life, 11m infected and almost 250k deaths.

I am not saying this process is not without opportunity cost but it does trend the covid impact in the right (downward) dfirection.

Reply #821664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA didn't do a harsh lockdown of its citizens. The only two in Australasia who did a genuinely hard lockdown are Vic and NZ, and they are the two that have had a second wave of any description, albeit NZ's was small.

SA's approach has been close to the best the whole way through, high levels of testing, their contact tracing has been good and their restrictions lesser than all others in response to the science that lockdowns aren't the most important part of handling this virus.

Their current response is unscientific - COVID is very rarely spread outdoors, so preventing people going outside to exercise has very little justification. It will be interesting to see how well they get back to a measured, scientific response once they feel their contact tracers have caught up.

However, the biggest learning from this has to be state govts get their act in order around what people employed in hotel quarantine are doing, if they need to be paid extra to only have one job then so be it.

As for the federal govt, they did an outstanding job early, but got caught up in politicking which now makes it very difficult to get together a national plan for handling small re-emergences of the virus.

The current knee jerk approach isn't going to produce good results, credit to NSW and Vic for their more mature approach to the SA outbreak.

Reply #821701 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I can see why theyre doing what they're doing but I think the harm is going to be greater than the virus."

Strongly disagree. When the virus is allowed to run riot, hospitals reach capacity quickly and, even if they're able to help the majority of people admitted, other patients suffer. "Elective" surgeries - which are often still lifesaving measures - are delayed and people suffer.

Half arsed measures don't work either.

Reply #821706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is talking about letting the virus run riot. The discussion around this is far too binary, it's not a case of shut everything down or let COVID spread, the majority of Australia has been an excellent case in point, as has Taiwan.

Effective testing, contact tracing, improved hygiene and reducing interaction in areas where transmission occurs (close contact of late teens/adults in indoor environments) are the keys to limiting the spread to those who are susceptible to COVID.

Reply #821707 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

SA making the right play getting in early placing restrictions in order to bide themselves time.

At the very beginning they're reactionary - that's where it is important to catch it early, after that they have the opportunity to put preventative measures in place which can mean easing of restrictions.

Reply #821708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you listened to ABC radio this morning apparently it's a British strain of the disease, far stronger and spreads within 24 hours.
Yet again if the security / cleaning in the medi hotel was spot on this would not have occurred. Glad I didn't have a pizza from that pizza shop.

Reply #821709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you work trump, most of what you wrote is dribble.

Go hard go early is what's best worked around the world.

The problem is again been brought in through the quarantine zones, the federal government is in charge of this and has been woeful and just passed it onto the states.

Reply #821711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"SA making the right play getting in early placing restrictions in order to bide themselves time."

Agree, they just haven't got the measures right. For example, there is no scientific basis for not allowing people to exercise outdoors. This will not prevent the spread of the virus as it is spread by close contact and overwhelmingly indoors.

States limited gatherings to 2 or 10 during the initial wave, this has basis as a precautionary measure, but not preventing people going outside.

Reply #821712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how will the HUB work? Where? Is ISO involved? So many questions and time is rapidly running out.

Reply #821822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#712 not sure I am going to believe from and anon on a hoops forum that the people making decisions are not doing so without any scientific basis. Forgive me if I do not believe that you are the scientific expert in this area.

Reply #821826 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

You have to understand that Bureaucracies are inherently incompetent. People think of solutions a bit like a roadmap they might drive in their car And forget that a government bureaucracy steers like an oil-tanker.

My son was really sick, high fever and vomiting uncontrollably, accompanied by aching joints and sore throat. Because some of those symptoms matched Corona, he wasn't allowed to see a doctor or even go to the regular emergency room. He had to present for Covid testing.
But ALL they did was test for Covid. No actual medical appraisal or treatment.
Fortunately we've had the same GP for 30 years, and he was pragmatic enough to understand that there was no way my son had Corona, and so was willing to examine and treat him (with appropriate precautions just in case.)

Reply #821891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#712 not sure I am going to believe from and anon on a hoops forum that the people making decisions are not doing so without any scientific basis."

That's been confirmed in the case of Victoria, where politicians made decisions that weren't supported by the chief health officer.

If genuinely interested, find studies on the locations where COVID is mostly transmitted, and you will see outdoor exercise (and indeed most things outdoors) and very low risk.

Reply #821895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My initial comment stands. I am not going to take you as a scientific expert as an anon on hoops. Nor blindly go googling for your supposed studies that prove you so called theory. Had said pizza staff not lied and therefore thrown everything your so called studies suggest is fact there wouldn't have been a lockdown at all least of all a ban on outdoor exercise.

Reply #821899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no theory, just data showing the overwhelming transmission occurs indoors, and transmission outdoors is in large, densely populated crowds.

I did get a chuckle though out of your blind faith in politicians!

Reply #821908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their decisions matter. Your anon statements do not

Reply #821910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the people that say to let the virus run it's course, a few old people die, just like the normal flu, would do the eulogy at a loved ones funeral, or in fact, any funeral, for someone that passes away. Would it go along the lines of, good old aunty Beryl had a good run, pity she's dead, but it was for the greater good. Anyway, I'm off to watch Cairns vs the Phoenix, because that's the most perfect thing, no restrictions.

Reply #821916 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

In an average year the Flu kills about 300 thousand worldwide. Covid19, with the restrictions, has already killed at least 1.3M, and there will be millions more unreported.

The mortality rate of Covid19 is 3~4%
The flu is less than 0.1%
(That data is from the WHO)

So if your brilliant solution is to just let the virus take its course, then congrats, you just sentenced a million Australians to death.

But its actually worse than that. For any critical case, recovery is largely dependent on medical care.
(This could include IV fluids, oxygen, nutrition, drugs to aid with breathing, steroids, and even some anti-viral drugs.)
At a certain level of infection, you're going to overwhelm our hospitals, people will not get the care they need, and the death-rate will increase. That is already happening in parts of the USA, and many developing nations.

But hey, good news is that you will mostly be murdering the old, infirm, poor, and non-whites. So roll on Adolf.

Reply #821921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In an average year the Flu kills about 300 thousand worldwide. Covid19, with the restrictions, has already killed at least 1.3M."

The flu has a vaccine, COVID does not.

Reply #821938 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"The flu has a vaccine, COVID does not."

That is indeed a scary reality. Imagine how many more will die from Covid19 between now and when a vaccine is readily available.

Reply #821939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The flu vaccine is about 50% effective. That's scary.

Reply #821940 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Okay. I'm not sure what that has to the world's current predicament centered around the Coronavirus or this thread, but I won't argue with that.

Reply #821942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'm sure those in the third world have access to the latest version of it.

Reply #821943 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754