Three to Make Two
Years ago

Too many TV commentators?

Watching NBL games vs NBA games, do we have too many TV commentators?

The NBA games generally have 2 commentators and an on-court person. They have good rapport and good knowledge of the game and the players. When someone subs on, they will tell you who they are and give somethin g like " a 6'8 forward out of UConn". If they led their college in something, they will tell you. They might have said this a dozen times over the season but to me, it adds to the game. And if they are telling a story, if something happens on court, tehy will break teh story.

Most of the NBL games I've watched have 3 in the studio and one at the stadium. This seems to lead to (to paraphrase Connor Henry) too much fkn dribbling.

They get into discussions among themselves and ignore/overlook what's going on on court. It really irks me when there is an off-the-ball call, no replay and the game continues with the viewer not really knowing who did what. Only a small point, but adds to the overall enjoyment of the game. After all, if I was only interested in the final result, I'd look it up after the game. But I like the journey.

Then there is the opposite where there's deafly silence and it's like they don't know who's going to say something.

Am I being too harsh? And threatening to do someone out of a job??

Topic #48002 | Report this topic

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

PS. They had John Casey doing the on-court stuff. IMO, he is way better than that. Yes, he has his quirks and catchphrases, but he has been involved for many years, has passion and good knowledge. And he puts the work in. I've seen him up close before going on air studying the stats and plotting out with his co-commentator what they will cover in the next section. A professional.

Reply #828714 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I haven't noticed Heal on any games yet so at least there's that.

Reply #828715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've loved what they have done with the commentators in the past few years. Bringing in fresh voices (Santa, Luke, Homicide and the rest like Hooley) has really helped. Having the old guard commentating the new era of the NBL was a drag a few years ago.

Reply #828727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three to Make Two

I could not agree more with you, one expert, one commentator and one sideline. If Casey is in Adelaide let him call the game, get a local to sideline and if you need an expert in the hub let it happen. No Heal so far has been great but gazey took over telling us how good Cadee was on the weekend just gone.

Reply #828728 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

There have not been any decent basketball commentators in Australia for as long as I can remember - and I'm an old coot. You get too many of these amiable, all round sports jocks, many of whom read player facts/stats/bios off cards to give an impression that they know the game. And they make a really big deal about obvious stuff - a charge call, a 3 pt make etc. Nothing about contests going on off the ball; or how the contest is evolving; or an educated guess as to likely play a coach may call. Then we have Shane Heal, who is forever stuck in the 1990s, reliving the good ol days. I watch the call during the infamous basketbrawl in Manila (Aust Vs PHL) when Shane was - yet again - taking another stroll down memory lane, completely misreading the signs of growing tension between the players. And so when the brawl broke out, Shane was surprised.

Reply #828730 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Casey is in Adelaide let him call the game, get a local to sideline and if you need an expert in the hub let it happen.
"Hey, you know that thing we put in place to make commentary cheaper and easier than before? How about we add lots of unnecessary expense and complexity to it?"

Reply #828733 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" How about we add lots of unnecessary expense"

John Casey is worth it and I won't hear otherwise

Reply #828736 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes John Casey is as always the exception to the rule.

The fact the kids aren't getting a healthy dose of "all nylon" or "non-preferred left hand" or "90 seconds to go" etc is a travesty.

Reply #828738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unpopular opinion I know but I can't stand Casey as a commentator. He's a modern day Bill Woods, who was also terrible.

Reply #828751 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

People do realise all the commentators are based in Melbourne? And they aren't paying commentators to travel?

Reply #828752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jon Guarna added to the team this season. Has been excellent previously for QBL.

"deafly silence" - perfect term!

Reply #828759 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" People do realise all the commentators are based in Melbourne? And they aren't paying commentators to travel?"

People realise and are unhappy about it because Casey is a top class NBL commentator and most of the ones they have commentating, to put it nicely, suck. It ain't no cupcake league, don’t have crap commentators.

Reply #828763 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If it doesn't make dollars it doesn’t make sense

Reply #828772 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd pay for more Casey

Reply #828776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac you've neglected to mention 'hard off the iron’

Reply #828790 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

User friendly roll!

Reply #828792 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL ruined it, now we can't play this anymore:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/10653-the-john-casey-drinking-game/

Reply #828793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide been woeful tonight, Luke just as bad, hooley gets a pass just.

Reply #828795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl grand final series won Asian sport television awards. Now that's a good result.

Reply #828798 | Report this post

Alright?  
Years ago

I miss the early 90's channel 10 line ups.
Steve Quartermain and Dean Templeton were amazing.
Terry Kennedy and Brian Kerle.
Tim Gossage and John Gardner

Reply #828802 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nbl grand final series won Asian sport television awards. Now that's a good result.

I had to google this - WTF.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/img-wins-asian-tv-award-for-nbl-2020-grand-final-coverage/

I'm happy for the NBL but at the same time how does IMG win which such shitty talent in commentary? The pool must be shallow in Asia.

Reply #828804 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

BEST LIVE SPORTS COVERAGE
Winner NBL Grand Final 1 - Sydney Kings v Perth Wildcats 2020
IMG of America Pty Ltd
World Feed
Multiple Channels
Australia

The way it is listed on the official awards website reads like it was for Game 1 of the series. Everybody loves a Kings loss.

Reply #828809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The commentary might be crap but the product is excellent. Homicide didn't call much of the GF if I recall correctly.

Reply #828810 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Totally agree. Less is more. I must admit I enjoy Gaze and Santamaria as they really know their stuff. Personally I find Cam Luke and Corey Williams the most annoying. Luke pretends he's an expert but talks too much. I actually don’t mind Heal as at least he has knowledge of the game. The commentators for the Breaker games in NZ last year were great.

Reply #828814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The commentary teams are pretty poor!

They young blokes try but they have the personality of a pot plant

Reply #828816 | Report this post

krazy  
Years ago

As long as Dwayne Russell isn't commentating I'm happy, he just yells garbage the entire time.

Reply #828817 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

NBLcommentary may not be great but damn the NBA guys put me to sleep these days.
Everything is so monotone, nothing excites them, there's no tactics to discuss, it's just a procession of stats.

Reply #828825 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm certainly not a fan of Hooley and it feels like a job for the boys more than actual ability.

I've grown to like Cam Luke as host of Overtime but fuck me, he was dreadful in the Brisbane/Hawks game.

I don't mind Homicide and I think he's far less annoying.

We got Rucker on commentary for NBL preseason which only exemplified his talent and teased us.

Yes I prefer the old boys like Gaze and Hammer (Lachy Reid and John Casey) but I'm glad that Carfino isn't commentating anymore as he was bad.

I wondered not that long back how Brian Taylor went commentating the NBL as he has plenty of fans with the footy but the 2010 grand final series was some of the worst commentating ever heard.

I don't know what to make of Jack Heveren but I know he's much better than BT.

Please no more Dwayno
Please no more Liam Santamaria as play by play caller (much better as an analyst)
Please no more Cam Luke commentating.
Please no more Felix Van Hofe, Sportsbet adverts are already overexposure without having Gaze etc name dropping him like he's done something special
Alex Laughton in preseason as play by play didn't do a terrible job and his call with Big Matt was fun but I think Al would be good special comments

Reply #828839 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No more huddo this year :(

AL was good in the preseason commentary

Reply #828879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about getting Bogut?

These blokes from Melbourne Hooley/Von Hofe are terrible and homicide isn't good either as he carries on like its a culture kings ad.

Gaze is clearly the best but i'm assuming he is expensive but surely special comments should be local well known former Boomers if possible (obviously they won't all have the personality for it!)

The play by play stuff is hard because its not a full time gig in Australia but Lachie Reid does a good job despite his perth bias.

Reply #828902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley is quite good, yesterday team was absolutely terrible.

Reply #830355 | Report this post

Three to Make Two  
Years ago

Why aren't they using the on-court commentator more? They are actually at the game and most of them have a pretty good idea about what's happening in the game. Especially when something happens off the ball or, worse, when it happens on the ball but the cameras are showing us a close up of a play meandering down the court, someone on the bench, someone in the crowd. Or, worse, the studio team who don't interrupt their blather to tell us what happened.

And they are still persisting with 3 in the studio. And am I correct in saying that in one game this week, they had 2 guys in one studio and Shane Heal in another? They weren't in the same studio so why have 3??

Replays: what is so hard about showing replays of plays, ESP. fouls. Cricket and tennis have no problem giving us replays within a few seconds. But we don't get this. We do get replays of a shot or dunk that happened a few minutes ago. But why not show us a replay of the oil just called? ESP. when the commentary team don't comment on it.

Also, can they lose that really whiny, snarky 'analysis'? It's just whiny. And when failed coaches keep criticising current coaches strategies...

Analysis : In their criticism, they do occasionally try and explain strategies and plays. But they obscure it in technical terms that are meaningless to most. And they don't give a visual. Cricket and footie, which are in our DNA, have segments where they break down plays, or Michael Slater shows you what a straight bat is or how much an off cutter deviated. Surely, they have the tech to break down plays and strategies and show us what they mean by pin downs, shuffle, flares, flashes etc etc.

Am I being too finicy or outrageous?

Reply #830453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal was obnoxious again on the weekend, at times I not sure he was watching the same game as me. Just makes it up so he can be heard.Great player,no doubt but poor analysts and his coaching record left a lot to be desired.

Reply #830458 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Am I being too finicy or outrageous?

Not at all - the commentary is not professional and really takes away from a great product. You were too kind by not mentioning Homicide.

Reply #830467 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Three to make Two, I agree.

I suspect it's all about money, and maybe the fact there’s no competition in coverage to force the channels to lift their game for the clued-up watcher.

Reply #830468 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754