Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Cam Luke appreciation thread

He has taken the bull by the horns in commentary this year.

His excitement and ability to string a sentence together is fantastic. Excited without going over the top, allows others to chime in, knows the NBL product. I prefer him over any other play-by-play caller that has done NBL in recent years.

What do we make of him?

Topic #48032 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a fan of his commentary tbh

Reply #830103 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Appreciate your sarcasm, Manu.

He's pretty much unbearable like the excited little brother hanging around his older brother's friends who has had too much red cordial.

Reply #830104 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Nailed it, Zodiac.

Reply #830106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I appreciate it when he shuts up, he's unbearable, gets half the players wrong in the call and don’t know shit. Nbl has to do better, run a competition to see if there’s some talent out there. We don’t need the over the top calling.

Reply #830107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about all these haters!! Cam's call during the Cairns game was outstanding especially when he was so fired up, love the energy and passion!

Reply #830117 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cam Luke's commentary style is like a bullet train - always at top speed.

Reply #830119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's great. Bunch of haters

Reply #830125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We forum users are clearly better commentators which is why we bag people like Cam Luke.

Reply #830129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because you don't like something doesn’t make you a hater, we are still allowed opinions last I heard or has scomo scuttled that.

Reply #830132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We forum users are clearly better commentators " Which is never true. People here just need to be thankful we can see it at all.

Reply #830168 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Traditionally across most sports the "non former player" commentator's role is to anchor the broadcast, keep things flowing but take a backseat when the “experts” are providing insights. My biggest annoyance with Cam Luke apart from the high pitch, hysterical rambling is that he talks over people and dominates the coverage. Shouldn’t be in the commentary team.

Reply #830176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Luke played Big V, it's not NBL, but hardly puts him in a 'non player’ category

Reply #830186 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Cam luke jumps on any sport he can to get on tv.

Cricket, nbl, nfl

Reply #830190 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

AFL

Reply #830200 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

" Cam Luke played Big V, it's not NBL, but hardly puts him in a 'non player' category".

- Well I played Wednesday nights B Grade at Lakeside, does that make me a “former player”? Cmon mate he’s not an expert and isn’t suitably qualified.

Reply #830217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu still a tosser.

Reply #830253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well I played Wednesday nights B Grade at Lakeside, does that make me a "former player"? Cmon mate he's not an expert and isn’t suitably qualified."
NO it means you, like most people here have never played at an elite level and on that basis theirs and your opinions are really shit.

Reply #830264 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

"NO it means you, like most people here have never played at an elite level and on that basis theirs and your opinions are really shit."

- Well that's a pretty stupid response. Not sure you get it so no point arguing.

Reply #830268 | Report this post

2hard2guard  
Years ago

Cam Luke sucks the big one

Reply #830276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not there as the expert, he's the host and play caller like Andy Maher, Tim Lane or Anthony Hudson from other sports.
He just happened to grow up playing basketball and played Big V which means he happens to know more about basketball than the average sports broadcast host, notna bad thingbas he can also joke about his lack of ability as a player.

I know this is a forum so people will throw mud, but i think he's ok, and has actually approved as a host. Once the commentators go back to being at the venue that will also help all the commentators with the "excitment levels" being attempted to reach.

Reply #830277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Improved as a host ^^

Reply #830278 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Once the commentators go back to being at the venue
What makes you think that will ever happen?

Reply #830282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam is awesome! Down to earth and has a good understanding of the game

Reply #830291 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Id take Cam Luke over Dwyane Russell.

Dwyane reckons every three is "from the logo".

Reply #830378 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"Goulding goes bang!...and missed"

Reply #830380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That bloke today is the best.

Reply #830384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Once the commentators go back to being at the venue

Jeez Kobe you really are an idiot. What makes you think they won't? You're the guy that thinks all afl game and soccer games are called from a hub. Arse clown.

Reply #830385 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

@Midrange - yes I agree. Dwyane is appalling. His incessant early 90's ball cliches are cringeworthy.. "shake n bake CG43"..

Reply #830395 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Once the commentators go back to being at the venue

Jeez Kobe you really are an idiot. What makes you think they won't?
The fact that the hub is saving them around a million dollars a year?

Reply #830400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam gets half the players name wrong in the call, he talks over side kicks and is to loud. His enthusiasm is great but tone it down and realise he a commentator not the expert.

Reply #830418 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Derwayne "CG43 with the herky jerky"..

Reply #830848 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Derwayne "CG43 with the herky jerky"..

SHA-BAM!

Reply #830849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather Cam Luke than the inebriated jibber-jabber of Shane Heal

Reply #830886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That I agree with. ^^^^

Reply #830898 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think everyone agrees with that. Anyone but Heal.

Reply #830910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Hooley has moved to the top of my commentary list, he actually talks about what's happening in the game, does not play favourites and understands the game. Great annalist. Him and Gaze are so far ahead of the rest they should be on most games.

Reply #832683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754