Perks
Years ago

How do Next Stars contracts work exaclty?

Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm a Warriors fan who has been looking into Justinian Jessup's situation to understand what exactly is possible with him. I realize the NBL CBA isn't public, so it might be difficult to find definitive answers to my questions, but I was hoping those of you more familiar with the league might be able to offer me some pointers and point me in the right direction.

So far I understand that a Next Stars deal is a 2 year deal with an NBA opt-out after the first season, but I'm struggling to understand how exactly the opt-out works. Based on the Q&A released by the NBL it would seem that all Next Stars deals have to be bought out, so what exactly does a player opting out do? And if they all have to be bought out, then a Next Stars player shouldn't be eligible to sign a two-way or Exhibit 10 with an NBA team given the International Player Payment rule in the NBA CBA? So how was Brian Bowen able to sign a two-way deal with the Pacers after his first season as a Next Star? Did he not have to be bought out because he went undrafted so he could just straight up opt-out of the deal? Is that where that distinction lies?

I also understand that Didi Louzada had a recall option last season that allowed the Pelicans to buy him out of his deal by a certain mid-season deadline (12/31), but was this something only specific to his situation, or is this a standard attachment in a draft-and-stash Next Stars deal?

Would appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

Topic #48052 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude, nobody knows. The goal posts change all the time. The system is dodgy af. Seems it depends who you are and who you know. Hence why you cannot find any hard and fast rule written down anywhere. Cos if you do you'll come across precedences where it's been broken.

Reply #830781 | Report this post

Perks  
Years ago

Yeah I figured that was the case, just thought I'd give it a shot anyway. Maybe someone knows something on here I’ve missed so far.

Reply #830785 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I feel like it started with rules in place, but then if it benefits the league regardless of fairness to other teams then it just gets done.

Reply #830789 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Yeah look sorry mate but it seems everyone is in the same boat of not having a clue how the system is meant to work

Reply #830800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one knows and the NBL sure as hell doesn't know!

Reply #830804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or want you to know!

Reply #830807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spelling police here. No one has noticed the title mis spell ;)

Reply #830809 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Who cares what the rules are? It is fantastic for the league.

Reply #830829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

However the league decides at the time of each next star getting signed

Reply #831076 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754