LoveBroker
Years ago

Paul Smith just can't let go.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-owner-and-chairman-paul-smith-adds-fuel-to-the-grand-final-replay-between-the-kings-and-wildcats/news-story/9c03895d6184ea355c2ff2ae7b768286

11 months later Smith is still sour about the 2019/20 Championship.

There are just strange rantings from Smith.

Smith stressed he holds no ill feeling towards the Perth club

Do we have angst directed towards Perth? No, not necessarily.

Yet....

I just hate Perth - I don't hate them because they have got a championship

It is a little ironic now that Perth was a team that was all very free, easy and let’s play, and now they exist in the bubble of all bubbles as far as their state is concerned.

Why is he conflating the Perth Wildcats the Proprietary Limited company with the State of Western Australia?

Sydney represents everything that Perth hates about the rest of Australia because we are the far eastern part.

"The further east you go, the more they hate you.

So hate is based on geographical locations only....OK

Topic #48120 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sporting history doesn't care about feelings, rather who has the title on the trophy :)

Sydney fans wanted to be awarded the trophy based on ladder position and to not play a final series - sorry to say you have to actually win it on the court. Being top of the ladder throughout history of most sport guarantees nothing in a finals series.

A combination of injury, old age, lack of finals experience probably worked against Sydney whereas Perth had experience and resilience in bunches.

If your main stars like Casper go missing at the crunch time of a final its a quick path to losing.

Reply #833615 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Paul Smith is an absolute tool.

Reply #833616 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Not sure who is worse, Paul Smith or Bogut...

Reply #833617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine making yourself into a club more hated than Perth in the space of two short years.

Reply #833621 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

He just doesn't get it. There was an agreement that if the season couldn't be finished, top team will be awarded.
However there were multiple options to finish the season, Kings just thought if they pulled the pin they'd automatically win it.
You called the league's bluff and lost. Get over it.

Reply #833627 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sydney sooks

Perth deserved it Perth got it the right decision made

Reply #833629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for the Sydney players that wanted to play on, from what I heard it was the majority.

Reply #833630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't they going to continue on without imports? I wonder who talked them out of that.....

Reply #833631 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Bogut wanted to play but the imports didn't.

If you ask me they would have been better off giving Ware's minutes to Lisch and Bruce.

But Tate to Moller would have been a big downgrade.

Reply #833632 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Imagine making yourself into a club more hated than Perth in the space of two short years.

It really is an amazing feat.

Reply #833633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not like Smith had any prior history of spitting the dummy after losing to Perth....well, except for Indigenous Round.

Reply #833634 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"The further east you go, the more they hate you"

Just shows how little he knows.
We refer to the entire rest of Australia as "The Eastern States," or "Over East" for short. We make no distinction.

Reply #833726 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Sydney fans wanted to be awarded the trophy based on ladder position and to not play a final series - sorry to say you have to actually win it on the court. Being top of the ladder throughout history of most sport guarantees nothing in a finals series."

Had the season been cancelled after the semis, or even after say 1 game of the GF, then logically awarding it to the highest ranked team remaining would have made sense.
But once they got through 3 games (considering that GF series were often only 3 games) it makes sense to award it to the winner of that 3 game series.

"A combination of injury, old age, lack of finals experience probably worked against Sydney whereas Perth had experience and resilience in bunches."

I always believed that Sydney would stumble come finals. A combination of ageing bodies and a coach who struggled to adapt on the fly. Then put that against Perth's experience, and the result was not surprising.

There was the allegation that the NBL offered a solution to play the last 3 games quickly. IIRC it was supposedly to play game 3 in Perth soon after game 2, then back to Sydney for 4 & 5 in quick succession. Allegedly Perth agreed, but Sydney didn't.

I would assume that at that point, Sydney thought they could win at home, and take the series 2:1, but it didn't pan out.

Reply #833728 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

KET understands the right team got the championship.

Reply #833738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith is an absolute disgrace as an owner and makes me ashamed to be a Kings fan. Shit stirring or not, this kind of petty whining is beneath contempt. From the Indigenous round fiasco to this - he just needs to shut the hell up.

Reply #833746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith like many other owners is ready to leave the NBL.....this league is in trouble under the current head office leadership.

If the league owner cared about actual basketball he'd create a commission so the league would be run independently with say from the clubs on the commission like pretty much every other PRO sports league with club owners does however he only wants to tear cash out of the league and clubs.

Reply #833752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the league in trouble?

Reply #833754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bye Mr Smith, don't let the door hit you in the way out. Also don’t forget to drop your keys off for your WNBL side whilst you’re at it.

He isn’t going anywhere.

Reply #833755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league can't afford to lose people like Smith, he’s a quality businessman and knows his shit. We don’t need owners like the hawks have ended up with, depending on who you talk to but up to 80% owned by the league. They could not get bums on seats till they reinstated Illawarra name and then I’m guessing a lot freebies. Yes the kings should have played it out, even if it meant without imports or next stars. They would have lost but had a go.

Illawarra is a very parochial area, like Cairns and most country type regions, let’s hope they don’t make the same mistake at Tasmania.

Reply #833763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be a good businessmam but his ego is far too big and he's not doing himself or the league any favours with his repeated displays of bad sportsmanship.

Reply #833767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to take the good with the bad, as the nfl said, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Reply #833770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its such a dumb argument by Smith and Kings people

Yes its not perfect

But given the season was over 90% complete its stupid to have no champion

Out of what was completed Perth were on top, so are deserved winners.

Also remember, the NBL didn't cancel the games the Kings forfeited.

I also guarantee if the Kings were leading and rewarded the championship he wouldnt have said no and would have claimed it.

Such a sore loser mentality.

Reply #833777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure Smith is deliberately conflating a decision from the league determining the series couldn't be completed safely, with his own decision to forfeit. A number of options were offered to him to continue the series safely, he chose not to take them up, flew his team back to Sydney, then forfeited after losing game 3. There is no reason why the league should have declared no winner.

Actually when you spell it out like that, he isn't a very good businessman at all.

Reply #833783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Businessman gambles, he lost this one. Should have played it out but thought his 4 aces were unbeatable but the royal flush got him.

Reply #833825 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Paul Smith isn't a very good poker player - he has no patience whatsoever. Goes all-in using brute aggression in one session instead of being patient and grinding it up over many. To make matters worse he then tries an extremely transparent bluff once beaten. What a fish.

Reply #833838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few owners aren't happy so watch this space....

Getting Owners to pony up and loose money year on year is tough but finding new owners in the current environment with money to throw away will be even tougher.

Like it or not a number the owners a very unhappy with the League office which to be frank hasn't delivered on a TV deal or any sort of major growth like they promised.

Either the League office sells tot he owners of the clubs or the CEO makes way

Reply #833847 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" any sort of major growth like they promised."

NBL has had major growth though.

“ frank hasn't delivered on a TV deal”

Anyone who expects NBL to get a paid prime time FTA deal is a shmuck.

“ Getting Owners to pony up and loose money year on year”

Literally basketball clubs throughout NBL history. If anything LK has positioned the league and clubs in the most likely position to get profit it has ever been in (prior to COVID). It has attracted more revenue than ever and more investment than ever.

“ Either the League office sells tot he owners of the clubs or the CEO makes way”

Nonsense, he owns 94% and that won't diminish anytime soon. CEO won’t be going anywhere either anytime soon.

Reply #833854 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

You gotta take the good with the bad with Smith.

He is a shrewd businessman, has a stable company bringing in enough to fund his interests (Kings), its not based on bad or bogus economics like Firepower or ABC learning.

He is willing to spend the money, see Bogut, taking Ware, getting Weaver, finding Tate. So he is willing to risk it for the bizkit, which is more than what I can say for the Sixers in the last few years.

Of course his bravado comes into it and for the Kings fans it is great for others can be rubbed the wrong way.

Reply #833857 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Like it or not a number the owners a very unhappy with the League office which to be frank hasn't delivered on a TV deal or any sort of major growth like they promised.

I believe that 'big' money TV contract is coming next season with Stan Sport.

He is a shrewd businessman, has a stable company bringing in enough to fund his interests (Kings), its not based on bad or bogus economics like Firepower or ABC learning.

I think he is too, unlikable guy always whinging but he knows the squeaky wheel gets the grease. He doesn't need to be concerned about the league overall he just wants what is best for the Kings, i.e. him. The guy has made a couple of hundred million dollars which usually doesn't happen by accident.

He knows exactly what he's doing and the type of character he feels he needs to play to achieve that.

Reply #833867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#847 you're a fool

Reply #833868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current NBL head office claim to fame is LaMelo who they didn't even get into the league..they talked up clicks and views but what was the result?

The league is arguable going backwards in terms of exposure and care factor...see ticket sales for the NBL cup as the prime example!

Reply #834059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're really going to use nbl cup ticket sales?

Reply #834061 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"A few owners aren't happy so watch this space...."

Whilst anonymous users are permitted, along with nicknames, I really think that as a team owner if Paul Smith is going to post, he should use his real name.

Reply #834573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754