Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Why did Nathan Sobey leave Cairns?

We had Sobey on the books as a development player.

What was the story there, was he showing signs of being a good player, why did he leave? I know nothing about his tenure up here.

Can anyone fill me in?

Topic #48183 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

they picked maynard over him... ouch.

Reply #835933 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You can't remember Sobey because they never played him.

Reply #835934 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah exactly, they never played him. Do you have any idea why, is the question, Perthworld.

Reply #835935 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Fearne was like most NBL coaches in that they don't give DPs much of a chance, unlike Joey Wright who did. Goulding is another that springs to mind, although more clearly than Sobey. Usually the path for DPs leads to a dead end.

Reply #835938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne has an eye for talent. He has talent like Sobey and Torrey Craig, and he keeps an eye on them while they sit on the bench.

Reply #835940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fearne way too structured for Sobey. Didn't fit neatly in the box so was discarded.

Reply #835941 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Did the Taipans flat out say 'we don't want you, you won't be offered a contract next season', or did Sobey back himself and go looking for a club that would play him?

Reply #835947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Sobey's minutes first year in Adelaide? Pretty sure he signed for minimum and didn’t play a lick till his second season

Reply #835948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I agree Fearne has crippled more talent than he's nurtured Sobey was in Cairns for 10 seconds and they were the best team in the league. Most of which were already signed to multi year deals. Not fearnes fault here

Reply #835950 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

10mins per in his first season in ADL compared to 5mins with CNS.

Reply #835951 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Manu good question since aren't DP contracts generally for two years? So someone instigated the move, did it stem from Fearne's feedback or Joey telling Sobey he'd get more of a chance in Adelaide?

Reply #835953 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey was a DP at Cairns and left for more opportunity from memory he signed with the 36ers to the full roster. It was another case of Joey giving young guys not wanted elsewhere a chance Sobey, Hodgson, Adnam etc.

Reply #835976 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cadee froling... and joey gets bagged. B eest coach Sixers had or likely to.have....

Reply #835990 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Sobey was only a training player at Cairns and came up because Fearne liked what he saw of him in the SEABL. After Sobey arrived in Cairns a sponsor was so impressed when watching him in the pre season that he paid Sobey for the rest of the season. He played a few games towards the end of that season when (I think) Corey Maynard was injured and the Taipans wanted to retain him but Joey Wright offered a 3 year contract.

Reply #835992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Twinkletoes.

Reply #836024 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So it was Joey after all. Makes sense.

Reply #836031 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

He was getting an occasional run but, as mentioned, they wanted to sign Maynard. The intensity and speed on court was already evident, I remember wondering at the time if it was the right call. Maynard left for a cup of coffee career in the AFL and Sobey's averaging over 20ppg in '21. Can't win them all I guess.

Reply #836047 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

More oppurtunity.

Reply #836079 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Is it just me or are we seeing more DPs and training players getting court time this season compared to previous seasons, it's great seeing them too with Corey Shervill and Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa in particular certainly not looking out of place in the limited time that we have seen them. Let's hope they and those current and future DPs can become NBL stars and maybe even become Olympians.

Reply #836082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As discussed in a previous thread about Nathan Sobey's tattoos, the 'NS' represents North/South, referring to the geographical directions his careers moves have taken. I expect that his next move may be from Brisbane to Tasmania.

Reply #836085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It actually stands for Not Sure meaning he doesn't know where he'll be next year.

Reply #836087 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"... and joey gets bagged. B eest coach Sixers had or likely to.have...."

He doesn't deserve to get bagged, he's a very good coach in a number of ways. But after nearly ten years of watching the same awful defence and clueless offence it was clear that the Sixers were stagnating. Sometimes everyone just needs a change. He's the longest serving Sixers coach in history. He was here longer than Smyth! It was just time to evolve.

Reply #836091 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's the longest serving Sixers coach in history. He was here longer than Smyth!

Smyth coached the team for 11 seasons, Joey only coached the team for 7 seasons.

Reply #836095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754