sharod
Years ago

Kiwis to watch in NBL: Rookie and promising players

There are certainly some exciting players on display in the current NBL season. What are your picks for top players to watch? here is top 5 and others worth mentioning.

1. Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa (SEM)
2. Yanni Wetzell (SEM)
3. Tom Vodanovich (Sidney)
4. Tyrell Harrison (Brisbane)
5. Max Darling (Illawarra)

- Taylor Britt (Perth)
- Isaac Davidson (NZ)
- Mike Karena (SEM)
- Hyrum Harris
- Jayden Bezzant
- Taane Samuel

Topic #48245 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully gapare skips gW in the ncaa and plays for nz.

Gapare-breakers and Daniels-United would be the local next stars for next season, both born 03.

Reply #838046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Izayah has been amazing this season. One of the better back up guards in the league already and he is only a DP.

Reply #838067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Izayah was / is the youngest Tall Black in history. He's got some serious game, but I think where he’s really shining is showing how well he reads the game and defends. He could become an elite defender.

Reply #838076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leafa to replace weeks no doubt.

Reply #838078 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Wetzell and Le'afa are the pick of this group and both playing a strong part in SEM staying in contention despite injuries and other issues within the Phoenix team.

Reply #838084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wetzell easy, outstanding work for a first year big at both ends.

Reply #838087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the breakers let Le'afa go is beyond me. Definite full roster player

Reply #838102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine the Breakers with Wetzell and Leafa... some serious questions to be asked about Breakers front office. Of course they can't secure 100% of the talent available but I’d be keen if they start turning into the Warriors when the top talent gets poached by Aussie clubs.

Reply #838115 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't get why the one organisation in the league with the unique benefit of having a national team of players in their squad goes and hires a European coach. No wonder they aren't aware of the young talent in their own backyard.

Reply #838118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't help losing Flavell and Fitchett. Sure they’ve got Pompallier there now but I don’t think Pompallier has done any elite boys coaching at the national level.

Reply #838125 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Breakers ownership after making progress last year to revert back to the things that made them successful in the past. Threw that out the window this year.

It's a shame.

Reply #838126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now Boucher is gone who picks the team Walsh or Shamir?

Reply #838127 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Players going outside of their home/junior states or NZ isn't unusual in pro sports .
NZ still have Abercrombie, Webster x 2 and Delaney as their locals.

Reply #838129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear this a lot about "letting players go" but fact is the Breakers can't afford all the kiwi talent. We’re not United, we don’t have a limitless budget. Having said that, some of the signings this year do need to be questioned.

Reply #838159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need a Wellington team to spread talent.

Reply #838231 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The budget point is a good one, especially with no home games this year, but Vodanovich looks like someone who should have been retained and wouldn't have commanded big bucks.

Reply #838258 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Leafa big bucks? A DP. Wouldnt think so.

Wetzell. Maybe now but nobody knew the chap before this season.

Reply #838307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leafa isn't on big bucks.

Wetzell, however, you're wrong. He kept improving big time every year in college. Was even on the NBA radar with his efficiency at San Diego State. If they had made a deep NCAA tourney run, he gets drafted second round.

Reply #838550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754