Anonymous
Years ago

Quota Policy in Junior Basketball

Hi. Wondering people's thoughts on a quota system for junior district teams in South Australia. A club has enacted a policy whereas there must be 50/50 representation of first year and second year players in the Division 1/2 squad of an age division, regardless of ability. I find it strange that you aren't placed in divisions based on ability. What's happening is that weaker first year players and being put above strong second year players simply because they "need more first years to fill the quota".

Topic #48264 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me guess you have a second year child sitting in Div 3 and believe they are "pushed out" due to this policy?!?!

If you look at strong clubs Australia wide there is a high proportion of them which adopt a similar policy of sorts. What they are seeking is a continued level of success year in and year out - they want to avoid the feast or famine cycle. This is best achieved with first year players training regularly with Div 1/2 players so the step up the following year is not too great

I know my son came up through that structure though not stated as an official policy. Some years he was in the third team but has, with hard work, gone on to play 10 years at the NBL1 level

Reply #838749 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

No issue if it's restricted to div 2, can’t see clubs doing it in div1 unless maybe its under 10 or 12’s - parents take that age group way to seriously. If a club is doing it in div 1 then their results should be proof enough it’s not a great idea.

Clubs have been using div 2 to develop next years group for years. Gets the first years training against the bigger better players.

Reply #838752 | Report this post

Years ago

why not then go to Div 1 single year age groups and scrap div 2 on Fridays - i.e. U11s, 12s,13s,14s,15s etc

Reply #838753 | Report this post

Years ago

I've seen this so many times in the U12s, 14s etc - fill div 1 and 2 (squad 1) up with second years - win Div 2 and then next year the first years have to move up from Div 3/4/5 into Div 1 and they are behind a bit. best to invest in the first years - don't think 50/50 is correct better with 60/40 - depends on the strength of the squad as well - so clubs have walk ups going into squad 1

Reply #838754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short term thinking if you don't have at least 5-6 bottom age kids in your top squad.

Reply #838758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50/50 is the definition of pandering and uneducated

Reply #838760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's make it 55/45 then. What a comment pandering to the uneducated

Reply #838763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pandering to whom?

Reply #838765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a recipie for promoting mediocrity

Reply #838766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recipie...

Reply #838769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These kids are one year apart and while there can be a physical gap depending on development for a bit,in the long run it makes no difference to career basketballers. The cream will always rise...
By basically selecting on-going div 1 and 2 teams due to age, there is a great risk of pigeon holing a late developer into div 3 from a young age even if they are a definate div 2 with potential for div 1 standard.
Should be on talent alone.

Reply #838770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club are you talking about

Reply #838771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No these kids can be 1 year and 364 days apart actually.

Reply #838773 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt North and Norwood are all doing this based on games we have played.

Reply #838774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's recipe mate. Looks like mediocre schooling to me.

Reply #838776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow I see your point. Those three clubs are amongst the poorest performing clubs in the state. They obviously have it very wrong!

Reply #838777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of those 3 clubs do this.

Reply #838780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the worst things to do to a first year player is put them in a team above their ability. Less game time, less confidence. I wouldn't let my kid play in a 1s team as a bottom age player. Always sounds great - she / he is in the fiesta and she / he is only x years old - but really not great for development and confidence. Unless the kid is big and strong for their age.

Reply #838782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Introduced at North this year but seems to be causing issues as not allowing flexibility with quota numbers. I believe Sturt do similar, but policy states "of similar standard" - so maybe this is a clause that allows a bit of flexibility. If u don't have enough first year players of similar standard to the second years, then don't have to fulfill the 50/50 quota. Not sure??? Plus if clubs have more kids, they would have a greater selection to choose from - surely this wouldn't work for smaller clubs??

Reply #838783 | Report this post

Years ago

i still reckon - div 1 in U10,11s,12s,13s,14,s and 15s

and scrap Div 2 - Div 3 would become div 2

one thing I can think of some struggling clubs can't get a div 1 team together between 2 years (first years and second years) - so that would make it tough for them.

Reply #838784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North has for many many years except for recently a general rule of ensuring enough first year players playing primarily in Div 2 with one or two in Div 1. The first years in Div 1 will only be there if they are good enough to hold a spot. This was done to ensure there was not the situation of first years stepping up from Div 3 or lower to make up a Div 1 team.

I experienced this when my kids were there though I haven't been around for 4 or 5 years. I think this approach is more common than what people think at other clubs - it seems that the issue is that the club has come out and stated formally this approach which from my perspective is good in that parents can better understand the process.

Reply #838785 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Quite a few clubs in Sydney do this to a greater or lesser degree, although they tend to do it on a age-group squad level, rather than a single team.

Don't see the problem to be honest, bottom-agers have to be developed at some point.

Reply #838793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All clubs consider a balance for continuation. Any club running a 50/50 split is asking for trouble.

Reply #838795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nearly all clubs do this. It might not be a 50/50 split but a significant amount of first years in div 2.

For the parents who have a child in division 3, who can't crack div 1 but won't make div 2 because they are a second year - relax. I have seen plenty of guys who have become NBL1 Players or even pros come from division 3 as late developers. In the long term the cream rises to the top. Let your child's journey unfold and don't get caught up on the number.

Reply #838805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It appears to be some confusion here - are we saying they total of the Div1 and 2 squads should have approximately equal numbers of first and second years or are we saying that each team should be made up 50/50 of each age group. If people are thinking the latter then that is a major issue and compromise on performance. If the former then I believe many clubs Australia wide have similar approaches.

Reply #838806 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

There does seem to have been a change at Sturt.
In the past, Sturt always had Div 2 being bottom age players and Div1 only top age players.

This year it is notable that their Div 1 team (esp in U18) has a number of first year players.

Not sure if it is club instruction or the new U18 coach, but it's definitely new.

Reply #838809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are good enough you play...if not take up another sport or go practice!

Reply #838818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth there was never a limit in Div 1 of only top age players. Don't be ridiculous.

Reply #838820 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to play organised sport so i can take it way too seriously.

Reply #838822 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Isn't sport at that young age meant to be fun? or am i missing something...

Part of the reason why i stopped playing district at the under 12's level was because it wasn't fun anymore... WAY to serious... that was early 90s... seems nothing has changed.....

Reply #838833 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I spent a season helping a buddy coach his little brother's domestic under 13s about 20 years ago and the way the parents carried on was atrocious.

Reply #838838 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

It is a sad blight on most sport for kids... Parents need to not get involved unless you are the coach....

Reply #838840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All kids should get medals and bring a winner is bad.....so lets no have losers and make teams even and fair because equal outcomes is what we all want!

Reply #838845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754