koberulz
Years ago

Mitch Creek Reinstated

Statement

Pathetic. Either suspend him or don't, but "we didn't realise suspending him might last for a while, so we changed our minds" is bullshit.

Topic #48291 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that's embarrassing.

Reply #839730 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Guys keep this thread civil.

The question I have is what does the Basketball Australia's Integrity Unit do?

They were supposed to make an assessment of the player's fit to play NBL as a family oriented sport / entertainment.

Now they are just going to wait until the verdict.

So once the verdict is determined, what conclusion will the Basketball Australia’s Integrity Unit come up with if :

- The player is guilty and serves a custodial sentence. Let him play once he makes parole?
- The player is guilty and is handed down a suspended sentence. Let him play straight away?
- The player is guilty and is handed down a fine with no custodial sentence. Let him play straight away?
- The Player is not guilty.

I don't think the Basketball Australia’s Integrity Unit assessment is required at all once the verdict is read.

Reply #839734 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But KR, yesterday you told me Creek was done for the season?

Surely not, the fount of all Hoops wisdom was proven utterly incorrect in 24 hours?

Reply #839735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh don't challenge KR.

Reply #839736 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

De Goey has been playing for almost 12 mths since his indecent assault charge

In Melbourne there's a local councillor who's literally being investigated for fraudulently tampering with votes in a local election, yet he's still sitting in council meetings as we speak (Milad El Halabi, Moreland- look it up, beenreported regularly in The Age)

So the precedent here is, innocent until proven guilty

Move along, let things run their course.

In the meantime SEM are going to take some beating after Broekhoff finds his rhythm. All Vic GF coming up? every 12 years, we're due

Reply #839737 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I assumed the NBL wouldn't do something as thoroughly stupid as this.

The court case won't be finished until after the season is. Them lifting his suspension for absolutely no reason doesn't make me wrong about that.

Reply #839739 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[So the precedent here is, innocent until proven guilty

Move along, let things run their course.]

Btw not saying I agree with the Moreland councillor still standing either, as the investigation directly relates to the councillor's role and how he was elected

But in Creek's case he's been accused of a criminal charge and there's clear precedent

Reply #839741 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

In the meantime SEM are going to take some beating after Broekhoff finds his rhythm. All Vic GF coming up? every 12 years, we're due

Let the records show there is a serious criminal matter where a woman has been assaulted.

And all you care about is your precious all Victorian GF.

You are pure trash.

Reply #839742 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I assumed the NBL wouldn't do something as thoroughly stupid as this.

The court case won't be finished until after the season is. Them lifting his suspension for absolutely no reason doesn't make me wrong about that.]

"I'm not wrong!!!! I'm not! I am right!!!"

You are a muppet and a know it all. Plain and simple.

Reply #839743 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Let the records show there is a serious criminal matter where a woman has been assaulted.

And all you care about is your precious all Victorian GF.

You are pure trash]

Again De Goey.

There's a similar case in the NRL.

The principle is the principle. Why are you calling me trash for expecting the NBL to follow the precedent set in other sports? Pull your head in.

I would say the same thing if this was Bryce Cotton or Todd Blanchfield.

Reply #839745 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The AFL doesn't set precedents in the NBL. That's not how this works.

And I wasn't wrong. Anyone with any ability to actually comprehend English would realise that.

Reply #839746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the correct decision, he’s pleading not guilty to all charges, surely he’s innocent till proven guilty. Court cases can take years and it seems unfair to ban him till the court decides.

Reply #839748 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lovebroker:

"Guys keep this thread civil."

5 minutes later

"you are pure trash for holding a different opinion to me, an opinion in line with the precedent set in Australia's most professional and biggest sporting leagues"

Reply #839749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the NBL caving in.

Its a bad look regardless of the outcome.

Case in point the NRLs no fault policy where players are stood down till any invrstigation or court proceedings are fully completed.

Hang your head in shame larry.

Reply #839750 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He announced when this started that he was pleading not guilty. Nothing has changed.

Reply #839751 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"you are pure trash for holding a different opinion to me, an opinion in line with the precedent set in Australia's most professional and biggest sporting leagues"

You are putting it in quotes like I said it.

I didn't.

You love using word play and hide behind misdirecting the conversation.

The above is not the reason you are trash.

Reply #839752 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"he's innocent till proven guilty"

I am waiting for someone to present an argument against this.

Reply #839753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're an absolute twat LV. Nothing more needs to be said.

Reply #839754 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My apologies if I was incorrect about the NRL

But really there's 2 options here

- Stand Creek down until court process completed

- Let Creek play and let justice run its course

Thing is, if Creek is guilty then he's guilty. He'll be punished accordingly. Why do people want to issue their own punishment- stopping him plying his craft in his short lived prime in his chosen career?

If he's found guilty, he'll do his time. Until and unless that happens he'll remain innocent in the eyes of the law.

We are not the justice system. We are basketball fans. He's a basketball player. Let him play basketball.

The right decision.

Reply #839755 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You love using word play and hide behind misdirecting the conversation.]

When Cotton is accused and I argue he should be banned from playing, then you can label me whatever

Until then shut your mouth and keep it civil, you absolute hypocrite

Reply #839757 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"he's innocent till proven guilty"

I am waiting for someone to present an argument against this.
The NBL is not a court of law.

That said, if this had been their stance from the start, it would be understandable. Changing tack halfway through is bullshit.

Reply #839758 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

That makes it sound like you are criticising them for finally making the right decision.

Reply #839759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comments like yours LV are the exact reason rapes and assaults go unreported, especially when there is a power imbalance between the male and the female. You are putting Creek on a pedestal because he plays for your team, without giving any consideration to how that sort of attitude makes this ordeal significantly harder.

Let's hope your daughter doesn't ever go through this at the hands of one of your sporting idols. You want know which side to take.

Reply #839760 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"You are putting Creek on a pedestal because he plays for your team"

Isn't it well known around here that LV is a United fan? For someone making judgements, you seem poorly informed. Perhaps stick to making judgements based on evidence, which is exactly why we have a legal system, not a kangaroo court.

Reply #839764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I assumed the NBL wouldn't do something as thoroughly stupid as this."
Good on ya mate. Shame you didn't actually say it rather than in your on head.

Reply #839765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rjd, it's pretty clear around here lately that LV has been spruiking the Phoenix almost as much as he does his "beloved" United. Perhaps stick to disappearing again.

Reply #839766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine coming to the defence of LV's comments to say "um he actually supports United, you don't know anything!" and thinking you've made a solid point.

Reply #839769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He announced when this started that he was pleading not guilty. Nothing has changed.
League/club/player realising that a resolution might not be as quick as thought?

Reply #839771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM isn't making the GF and United are shaky at best. LV go away you are an embarrassment to yourself

Reply #839772 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Isn't it well known around here that LV is a United fan?]

And a St.Kilda fan who can't stand Collingwood

Yet I'm ok with one of their stars playing despite an indecent assault charge

But hey, why would the hoops peanut gallery let the facts get in the way of their attempts to replace the actual justice system with their own vigilante version?

Reply #839774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not commenting on his guilt or innocence. I'm saying your "us basketball fans are truly the winners" comments are abhorrent.

Reply #839775 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I am happy to be proven wrong, but it would be nice to see the evidence of this, or even confirmation from LV himself, which might be salient considering that anon is the one projecting LV's own thought processes here. It's a surprising change in character for a notoriously one-eyed LV to develop allegiances to United's cross-town rival!

Reply #839776 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

A bit of reason here surely.. you all know that there can be no absolutely perfect solution to a problem, and many possible answers that have their pros and cons yes?

Play Mitch, if he is innocent this prevents unfair harm being done to him, if he is not it very much sucks for the girl who might feel more pressure seeing his name still up in lights.

Don't play Mitch, if he is innocent this is pretty unfair to him, his team and their supporters, if he is guilty this would be a better outcome for the girl in question.

On one hand - innocent until proven guilty, on the other, organisations can formulate their own standards for how to handle incidents like this, but must always operate within the law, and follow fair contracting principles.

If the league has no developed standard for this type of situation, that is known and agreed by the players association, it would appear that it would be right and proper for Mitch, the team, the NBL, and possibly the sponsors, to negotiate a mutually satisfactory outcome.

If the league has an agreed and known standard in operation prior to the incident.. just follow the directions that were laid down and agreed.

If the NBL has no such standard in place, that is negligent on their behalf.
If they are changing the standard on them fly, that is also poor practice on their behalf.

Whichever way they wish the standard to go.. stand down players under a cloud of serious allegations, or allow them to play until justice is resolved, is a matter for the players and the NBL to decide prior to the season commencing.

There are no absolutely right or wrong answers other than making things up as they go.
No matter the degree of guilt in this instance, either choice presents an opportunity for a person to be treated aggrieved.

It IS fundamentally violating a tenant of the justice system to subject a person to punishment prior to them being found guilty if other options exist, however professional athletes are generally understanding that certain requirements and conditions can be built into their contracts. The point there though is built in prior to an incident and consent has been obtained with a signature, not after the fact.

If rules are set in place prior to the season commencing, at least people can blame the circumstance, without feeling like they were singled out over the issue.

Reply #839777 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

League/club/player realising that a resolution might not be as quick as thought?

That or after the beatdown from their crosstown rivals SEM realised without him their season was over.

Reply #839778 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

In Australia our rule of law is innocent until proven guilty. A very dangerous path to go down if we start hanging people only to find out their innocence later on. There was a reason why we moved to the system we have now. It's not perfect but much better than shooting first and asking questions later. This could drag on for years and end in acquittal, so he should have the right to live his life if he is not in prison, just as everyone here would hope it would be for them if they were ever in a position and claiming innocence against accusations or charges brought against them.
Playing basketball is Mitch Creeks livelihood. The NBL would be in a very precarious position if they sacked or stood him down only for him to be found innocent. They would then probably be up for damages, loss of earnings, unfair dismissal, etc.

Reply #839779 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Won't be an all Victorian grand final

Reply #839781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not keeping score but I think I've seen four comments relating to his wishes for an all Melbourne GF this year in the past week. Maybe he doesn't support SEM, maybe he just really doesn't want Perth in the GF again.

In any case, the point has got nothing to do with who he supports, it's about celebrating a potential sporting outcome in a thread about an alleged DV incident.

Reply #839782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The presumption of innocence imposes on the prosecution the burden of proving the charge and guarantees that no guilt can be presumed until the charge has been proved beyond reasonable doubt.

I'd feel differently it was my daughter or sister ........................ but that's the way it is.

Reckon LV is kind of got it right here.

Reply #839783 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A bad thread to get emotive but I understand LV calling out KR given KR thrives on calling people out for making assumptions or any hint of inaccuracy. That is going to open him to a return serve.

We know NBL isn't a "Court of law" and can probably impose a higher standard on employees re allegations but a genuine question to ask - the factors and values which lead to the justice system implementing Innocent before proven guilty, why don’t they make a good argument for the same in respect of the league?

I understand the league would have values in respect of this, but so does the law hence why this situation exists, treating someone as innocent until proven otherwise doesn’t negate the value of the law alleged to be breached in the same way it arguably doesn’t contradict the values of the league.

Reply #839784 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[. It's a surprising change in character for a notoriously one-eyed LV to develop allegiances to United's cross-town rival!]

Tbh I haven't developed a distaste for SEM yet. I'm more of a parochial Victorian than anything, so I'd love to see SEM in the playoffs

But like I said, I'm also a Saints fan who dislikes Collingwood yet I back the AFL

People Are so inconsistent on this stuff. Wayne Carey has a violent history and multiple assault convictions. Why is he on our TVs every week? Where are the balls for replacing him with any other ex player who could do his job?

Yet Creek, who's been found guilty of precisely nothing is a criminal in the eyes of many.

Reply #839785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it possible that the league had suspended him while they considered things and after their investigation concluded that on a balance of probabilities, he isn't guilty (in their view) or that it may be likely that a trial may not go ahead (for whatever reason) and therefore continued suspension may not be justified?

"Throughout the web of the English Criminal Law one golden thread is always to be seen that it is the duty of the prosecution to prove the prisoner's guilt subject to... the defence of insanity and subject also to any statutory exception. If, at the end of and on the whole of the case, there is a reasonable doubt, created by the evidence given by either the prosecution or the prisoner... the prosecution has not made out the case and the prisoner is entitled to an acquittal. No matter what the charge or where the trial, the principle that the prosecution must prove the guilt of the prisoner is part of the common law of England and no attempt to whittle it down can be entertained."

Reply #839786 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Calls*

Reply #839787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what has changed in the Creek case from when he was suspended to now? Has there been new evidence to clear Creek, why else would the NBL change his playing status?
Is the fact Creek plays for a Melbourne team make a difference?

Reply #839788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the calls for replacing him (Carey) with any other ex player who could do his job?

You can't be serious? The AFL and their media continually get slammed for letting "boys will be boys" get away with all manner of things. I really don't know how you could be that naive to that.

Using De Joey as a comparison is pretty poor too, as part of the outcry was that during his first game after the allegations, he was praised by the commentators for playing well after his "mishap."

Perhaps people are disappointed in the fact that the NBL had a chance to do something positive in the face of DV but have back flipped, and that almost immediately led to mouth breathers like you celebrating the sporting outcomes.

Reply #839789 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

Does any thread on here not become a conversation about LV or have LV dominating it? Gee....

Anyway, NBL have ballsed this up big time. You don't come out with a strong, principled statement to then say "oh this is going to drag on so now we reinstate him".

Also the very last thing the Phoenix need (in this environment) while trying to build a brand. As a Phoenix member, utterly unimpressed and unsure whether I’ll attend the next few games.

Reply #839790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL may not be a Court of law (whatever that means), but that does not mean it doesn't have to uphold the Law. This means the NBL still needs to ensure that it’s players, coaches and administrators have a right to natural justice, which includes procedural fairness. If Creek is suspended and cannot play, but is later found not guilty then he would have a claim against the NBL. In richer leagues, I suspect the suspensions are paid and there are tighter contractual terms for bringing the league into disrepute. But I don’t know if the NBL clubs can afford that.

Reply #839791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're quite confident that Creek would "have a claim" against the league if he was found to be not guilty, but you don't know what court of law means?

Reply #839792 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I am waiting for someone to present an argument against this."

Despite what I just wrote above, there are arguments.

That's a legal standard, in particular a legal standard attributed to crime.

Civil legal standard is balance of probabilities, less protectionist for the person - many criminal actions have a civil aspect to it (ie battery for assault), or, I suppose, more relevantly contractual.

Then there’s a type of regulatory standard, let’s use lawyers as an example, providing less protection as the standard is “of good character and standing”.

Whilst a lawyer can be struck off for actions without breaking a law, there are many reasons the higher standard exists and mostly attributed to being a profession.

Players in a league are generally held to greater standards as well, and similarly aren’t afforded protection of “beyond reasonable doubt” for their job - hence investigation and suspension and the like.

They are free to use the “let the law run it’s course” but equally free to hold their players to harsher standards. Sometimes public confidence plays a role in it - similar to the heightened standards for lawyers being important for trust in judiciary, a sporting league may impose it for confidence in their players as role models in society.

Reply #839793 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You can't be serious? The AFL and their media continually get slammed for letting "boys will be boys" get away with all manner of things.]

I'm more referring to large parts of the public who have developed an inclination for hanging out to dry anybody who is accused of anything, or even those who utter comments deemed distasteful or offensive

Yet I rarely hear calls for someone with a proven violent past to be stood down.

Almost makes you suspect people are group thinkers who like joining together in mobs against the latest target. No, surely not!!

Reply #839794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just a Court, bro. We have a British legal system. Not an American one. Mitch Creek isn’t subject to Judge Judy or KR.

Reply #839795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is getting advice how to handle sex assault cases from ScoMo and Christian Porter.
Hasn't the NBL been watching the news on TV recently...Talk about TONE DEAF

Reply #839796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh OK, Creek shouldn't be scrutinised because Wayne Carey has a job. Gotcha.

Reply #839797 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" This means the NBL still needs to ensure that it's players, coaches and administrators have a right to natural justice, which includes procedural fairness. If Creek is suspended and cannot play, but is later found not guilty then he would have a claim against the NBL."

Haha what shit are you talking?

Did you Google some key words or struggle with Admin law? (Wouldn’t blame you it’s painful)

Natural justice and procedural fairness are mechanisms for hearings and obligations of the Court and have nothing to with anything the NBL or SEM does.

NBL/SEM have nothing to do with Court bias, and has nothing to do with the way the hearing is run on a procedural level (procedural fairness).

You couldn’t possibly know that a claim could be made.

Reply #839798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I do feel a bit uncomfortable on the precedent Creek could be found guilty, it is innocent until proven guilty.

I think the initial reaction from the NBL was correct as they may have lacked information and were not comfortable letting Creek play.

If he is to be found guilty he needs to be dropped. NBL players and the boomers are heroes for a lot of people young and old, we shouldn't endorse someone who is found guilty of a cruel violent act.

Something I am worried about is often sports stars get their career considered when judgements are passed so get lenient sentencing. I hope that the truth is presented.

Reply #839799 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I can't help myself.

" We have a British legal system. Not an American one"

That’s incorrect on multiple levels

#1 it’s English not British. Scottish law is not law in Australia.
#2 it’s called Common Law
#3 America is a common law country as well, regardless of trying their best to screw it up

Reply #839800 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Also the very last thing the Phoenix need (in this environment) while trying to build a brand. As a Phoenix member, utterly unimpressed and unsure whether I'll attend the next few games.]

You're unsure if you'll attend the next few games because Creek's been charged with something and you perceive the response to have flip flopped, and you don't like Creek playing?

Who needs a court system when there's "fans" like you.

So incensed at your star player that you won't even watch him play? So incensed at your club for letting him play?

Really?

Its bizarre the change that has occurred in my life. Growing up it was the religious, the do gooders, the right wing who were known for being moralistic crusaders

Not suggesting that's no longer true, but I believe the biggest moralists these days are actually the enlightened, offended progressives and the inner city twitterati.

Reply #839801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

enlightened, offended progressives and the inner city twitterati.

What the fuck are you on about?

Reply #839802 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I believe the term some use these days is "the woke"

Reply #839803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Politely suggest power brokers are across the full story and may have some level of confidence that Creek will be found innocent or it may not even proceed

Reply #839804 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

You're unsure if you'll attend the next few games because Creek's been charged with something and you perceive the response to have flip flopped, and you don't like Creek playing?

Who needs a court system when there's "fans" like you.

So incensed at your star player that you won't even watch him play? So incensed at your club for letting him play?

Really?

LV, you do realise the difference between an allegation and being charged by police. Right?
Allegation - anyone can make.
Charge - police believe there is enough evidence for them to get a conviction. And they're seeking just that.

No, I don’t like Creek playing. The club has tried to be a 'family’ club and a number of families had to sit their children down and speak about the Creek allegation. If he is proven innocent( fair enough but this reeks of desperation from the club. It isn’t aligned with the values they’ve tried to sell and I’m not sure I want to be cheering on someone who may have potentially done what the police say he has.

Again, not sure why ever thread seem to revolve around you on here but alas.
Considering the clubs crowds, I’d say the Phoenix and really every club needs ‘fans’ like me. I just prefer to avoid issues like abuse of women.

Reply #839805 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[What the fuck are you on about?]

The activists and the easily offended, the "woke"

The ones who called Scott Morrison an abominable misogynist because he dared reference a conversation with his wife and empathised with women through the lens of being a father

The ones who think gay guys jerking off in their bosses office is evidence of disrespect to women.... because their boss was a woman and they wouldn't ever do anything like that in a man's office....

The CEO of the law firm who thought she could bully a partner of said firm for merely advising a politician who was accused of rape

Those who think Amazon should ban a meticulously referenced, well researched,
Measured book on transgender issues but continue selling Mein Kampf

Those who think Margaret Court is a national disgrace rather than a national sporting hero

Need I go on? That's just a few examples of the crazy world we live in, from this year alone

And the reaction of some to Creek I place alongside these. Anyone accused of a crime is treated like a criminal. That's a regressive view imho , much like many "progressive" views these days.

Reply #839806 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He wasn't just charged, he was charged after a four month investigation.

Reply #839807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, imagine giving a shit about other people.

Reply #839808 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

And the reaction of some to Creek I place alongside these. Anyone accused of a crime is treated like a criminal. That's a regressive view imho , much like many "progressive" views these days.

LV - for someone who keeps going on about the legal system and weird tangents about the rule of law - you don't seem to know the difference between an accusation and being charged.

Reply #839809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ones who called Scott Morrison an abominable misogynist because he dared reference a conversation with his wife and empathised with women through the lens of being a father

Wow!

Reply #839811 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Those who think Amazon should ban a meticulously referenced, well researched,
Measured book on transgender issues but continue selling Mein Kampf
I'm confused as to how this fits into your "the left is terrible" argument. "Mein Kampf" is not exactly the most liberal book around.

Those who think Margaret Court is a national disgrace rather than a national sporting hero
I see, so we should be depriving people of their rights just for being gay, but not for assaulting others. Gotcha.

I didn't think I could respect you less than I did a week ago, but here we are.

Reply #839812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that nonsense from LV is just a distraction so he doesn't have to defend himself from saying an all Melbourne GF is more important to him than holding people accountable for domestic violence.

Reply #839813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm the one who mentioned innocent until proven guilty ................

And someone above said "woke".

Yep.

Grew up in Croydon. Now live 100m from the Peel.

No time for Carey, (J) Buckley, Nixon & co.

Experienced both sides (relatives) of the arguement.

They're free until ....... Although I understand and accept that doesn't happen now.

Reply #839814 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Creek is still being paid. Whatever the outcome of his trial, he should not be playing while it's ongoing. It's a terrible look for the club and league both. Honestly speechless, especially as there is no indication that this is due to anything outside of the trial being pushed back. Horrible decision.

Reply #839815 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Allegation - anyone can make.
Charge - police believe there is enough evidence for them to get a conviction."

That doesn't make the charge anything more than an allegation though, that’s an administrative choice on behalf of the Police - who drop cases due to insufficient evidence all the time. I wouldn’t be putting much into creating a distinction there.

And LV, people reacting to law allegations occurred well before anyone knew what the word “woke” meant and is hardly a progressives attribute

Reply #839817 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And Creek's case may well end up getting dropped, and even if the Phoenix have some indication of that and can't say for obvious reasons, they are going to be taking a massive reputational hit right now.

Reply #839818 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

Would this be happening if Creek wasn't the best player but rather a bench or development player? That’s probably an important question and the answer to that question might be rather telling....

Reply #839820 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nope

Reply #839821 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Of course not. As always in professional sport there are a different set of rules for star players vs the rest. That's how the Kobe Bryant's and Jarryd Hayne's get created.

The NBL had it right when they made a strong statement to sit Creek on the same day of the national protests against domestic violence, this backflip now no doubt under pressure from the Phoenix makes the NBL look pathetic.

Reply #839827 | Report this post

Dex  
Years ago

Wow. SEM & the league stood the player down asap when he got accused and was publicised. Both claimed high moral standards. Now they back track because of the court case will take time to proceed and claiming innocence until proven guilty. Call me cynical is their vested interest in the club as they need Creek and the league wants both Victorian teams in the finals. It just shows that their standards are Jack sh!t.

Reply #839828 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's interesting that BA's CEO resigned today. Cant help but see a possible connection there, seeing it was their integrity unit overseeing this.

I am all for 'innocent until proven guilty' but I think the NBL messed up on this one. They either should not have suspended him and waited til they had some sort of verdict, or they should have suspended him and stuck with it. This current outcome is very flimsy and says they're not willing to stand by their decisions. And worse, it is completely out of step with the social climate of the day, and is basically begging for bad press that could damage the brand.

Reply #839829 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He was "charged" not merely accused. Yes.

But I don't know what actually occurred, or how this will play out. Neither do any of you. Neither do the police.

There are many possibilities around what happened and will happen.

It's not our role to play judge, jury and executioner.

If he's found guilty in court, he'll be punished. And Phoenix/NBL can deal with their guilty man appropriately at that time.

Let it be.

Reply #839830 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If you read the statement from a fortnight ago this isn't as much of a "backflip" as people like KR are suggesting.

The NBL never said he'd been sidelined until the court process was complete. At the time, I read it as a "oh let's take time to think about this"

Perhaps reinstating him wasn't wise in the current social climate.

But if you're complaining today then you're part of that social climate. You're veering out of your lane and deciding someone's guilt or innocence without knowing the facts, other than "the police thought there was enough evidence to charge him". You're part of the problem here.

Reply #839836 | Report this post

Dex  
Years ago

Even if Creek plays he's going to get it from the crowd the team plays away. SEM just damaged their brand. Wonder what their female supporters thinks about this?

Reply #839837 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, it's definitely those people that are the problem and not the ones who keep raping and killing people.

Reply #839838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just stop LV. You are making no sense at all.

Reply #839840 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Interesting that the NBL chose Twitter to announce it rather than FB - that is very telling in itself. Not a peep on FB.

Reply #839841 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

KR one day you'll grow up.

Until then, spare us from your "thoughts".

Reply #839842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, is right, innocent until proven guilty.

Reply #839843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, you are disgusting. Simple as that.

Your comments are offensive on so many levels. It's 2021 and you're stuck back in the last millennium.

Disgraceful.

Reply #839844 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

;-) Too obvious that one

Reply #839845 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR one day you'll grow up.
The day you think I'm likeable is the day I start to question myself.

Reply #839846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is good that he is allowed to play.

The other matters will be settled by the legal system in is own time.

Reply #839851 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Guys, the NBL and SEM are taking this VERY seriously. He's no longer co-captain and won't participate in any community activities.

Yes, very seriously.

Reply #839854 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Koberulz v LV.
My winner is Konberulz.

Reply #839857 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

LV is guilty of spruiking an all Victorian grand final. ( it won't happen)
Is he inspired by the mighty eagles winners in 1994, 2006 and 2018.

Reply #839858 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"so he doesn't have to defend himself from saying an all Melbourne GF is more important to him than holding people accountable for domestic violence."

At the risk of being criticised for sounding like I am defending LV, and continuing to make this thread about LV personally, this comes across as a weak strawman argument just to pound LV. Notice how many anon accounts are taking potshots. At no point did he suggest or imply relative importance of a GF possibility and domestic violence. LV isn't saying that Creek shouldn't be held accountable. He is saying that the legal system already exists as Australia's way of handling these matters and until there is a verdict, it's innocent until proven guilty. The topic is that Creek will play, not the details of the allegations. I doubt whether we can even discuss that here. LV has mentioned multiple times in other threads about the possibility of an all-Melbourne GF, which seems to be as much about continuing a historical numerical pattern as anything else. IIRC, his profession relates to data, so this isn't surprising that numbers and patterns might interest him.

Given my long history of political debates with LV in another forum, it does feel topsy-turvy to be apparently defending LV on political matters. Perhaps this demonstrates how extreme and absurd the plague of the extreme woke and cancel culture has become, such that people of traditionally opposing political opinions can find so much common ground.

Reply #839860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Natural justice and procedural fairness are mechanisms for hearings and obligations of the Court and have nothing to with anything the NBL or SEM does"

This isn't a Court of law as some would say. It’s important to convey concepts in a way the lay Hoops poster can understand. I am not discussing grounds for judicial review. I am simply stating that these overarching principles apply to employers too. Employers have an obligation of procedural fairness to their employees, including situations where employees are charged of serious crimes. There is substantial case law where employees has made successful claims against employers for premature or disproportionate responses.

Reply #839861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what female fans will think about this when wanting to attend games starting on Thursday.

The NBL look very very stupid to allow this to happen and shows they don't care about their fans at all.

I am not saying he is guilty or innocent but its the stimga attached to such a alleged act.

Will other players refuse to play against or will people not attend games knowing the softness of the NBL not sticking to their guns.

I for one would find it hard to know what to do.

Reply #839862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a shame that Hoops is now seemingly going down the same track OzHoops forum did and being hijacked by a few posters rather than a discussion place for all

Reply #839864 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is an employee. The NBL is his workplace. Like any business the NBL is subject to workplace laws. If he was sacked prior to any findings they could be in trouble for unfair dismissal, etc and then be subject to a range of penalties.

Reply #839865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV has mentioned multiple times in other threads about the possibility of an all-Melbourne GF, which seems to be as much about continuing a historical numerical pattern as anything else.

You mean based on that sample size of one? If he works in the data industry, I'd say it's data entry and not data analysis.

Reply #839867 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well said rjd. I do indeed like data. And yes there's a divide between the traditional liberals of the old left- who are more principled regarding individual freedoms and more inclined to take a "live and let live approach- and the group thinking, mob rule modern woke left.

[Mitch Creek is an employee. The NBL is his workplace.]

On this topic, I assume Creek was contractually obliged to disclose the charge to his employer?.

If you are a "normal" person- a tradie or an engineer or an accountant- You probably wouldn't disclose the charge until absolutely required. Many people would just take a day of annual leave for their first court appearance and see how they go. Perhaps Creek's travel schedule didn't allow for this, but it's an interesting thought anyway.

SEM clearly has an interest in knowing moreso than a typical employer, hence why I assume Creek would be contractually obliged to fess up. Given his employment takes place in the public eye, perhaps sacrificing his right to privacy is a fair and necessary trade off.

Reply #839868 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why the fuck are people hung up over who plays in the NBL grand final?

If it's all Victorian good for those clubs, if it’s not good for whomever makes it.

Reply #839869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 - NBL should never have suspended him but did and now reinstated him? Why?

2 - the NBL went Woke and they going broke...after the disappointing crowd at the "Throwdown" the league needs Creek to help get bums back on seats

Reply #839870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you guys seriously talking about wokeness and cancel culture as a reason people have responded the way they have done to LV?

Reply #839873 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Are you guys seriously talking about wokeness and cancel culture as a reason people have responded the way they have done to LV?]

It would be nice if people at least tried responding to the substantive points I've made (and others too) about innocence until proven guilt, and the relationship between the justice system and Creek's ongoing employment.

No such luck so far.

Reply #839874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've made a number of comments about your choice to celebrate the possibility of an all Melbourne GF as an immediate response to Creek being reinstated but you haven't responded to those. Does that make you alt-right?

Maybe you and rjd should try responding to what is said to you instead of opting out with dismissive comments about cancel culture.

Reply #839878 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I've made a number of comments about your choice to celebrate the possibility of an all Melbourne GF as an immediate response to Creek being reinstated]

Incorrect- my first response was to note the precedent set in Australia's biggest sport, and the concept of innocence until proven guilt

Following this I merely mentioned, in passing, that Creek's presence on court increases the chances of SEM succeeding.

Naturally the Hoops peanut gallery has since sidetracked the thread with constant references to this, as if I don't care about the allegations or the alleged victim (again despite the fact I've made many substantive points about the role of the justice system and the fact that Creek can be dealt with appropriately should he be found guilty).

People ignoring the issues and getting fixated on putting words into my mouth, in other words. Typical of the Hoops peanut gallery!

Reply #839879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has put words in your mouth. You chose to ignore the potential seriousness of a DV charge in order to celebrate a meaningless "historical" all-Melbourne GF. Maybe choose your words more carefully next time.

Reply #839880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's just time for you to be quiet LV. A novel concept for you I am sure.

Reply #839881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of the legal side of things, it's a bad look NBL. To suspend and then reinstate prematurely smacks of 'we have no policy for this'.
Not surprised though, it's a bit like the Next Stars rules, very rubbery and changed to suit the circumstance. Weak NBL, piss weak.

Reply #839882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also LV, you didn't just mention it in passing. You later double downed on the comment saying that we as basketball fans should have some skin in the game here. What about the alleged victim? Have you considered how this decision makes this incident potentially more difficult to deal with?

Reply #839883 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Legalities aside, if it's true that Creek has been reinstated to bolster SEM's performance and possible crowd attendance (this is all speculation) that's poor. From a league and team's point of view, something like this is always going to be badly timed and SEM need to suck it up that a star player isn't available for the foreseeable future.

Reply #839884 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Terrible but completely unsurprising decision by the NBL and the club. It would be a poor decision in any time, but in the current climate they're literally asking for bad press.

LV bringing in completely irrelevant topics like a charge against a councillor then getting on his soap box about those damn woke lefties is even less surprising.

Reply #839886 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You chose to ignore the potential seriousness of a DV charge]

Sure

If your definition of "ignore" is "suggest the charge is dealt with appropriately through Australia's justice system and that Creek's employer should apply the same principles and values underpinning that justice system".

Reply #839887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey didn't something similar happened to Glen Rice Jr (NZ Breakers) but he didn’t play again in the NBL after that....maybe if Glen played for a Melbourne team he would have?

Reply #839888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the alleged victim? Have you considered how this decision makes this incident potentially more difficult to deal with?

Reply #839889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice Jr was cleared by the BA integrity unit so we pretty much know they're a toothless tiger. Which makes the original Creek decision even more baffling.

Reply #839890 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[What about the alleged victim? Have you considered how this decision makes this incident potentially more difficult to deal with?]

Yes, it probably would and that is unfortunate.

But then, if Creek is forced to spend substantial time on the sidelines in the short prime of his career and then ultimately found not guilty by the justice system, how is that fair?

There's no simple, easy way to deal with this situation is there?

But these things have been discussed for hundreds of years by deeper thinkers than me. I'm merely suggesting SEM and the NBL apply the same principles and values thst have endured through generations and underpin our legal system.

Reply #839891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glen Rice jr never played another game in that season for the breakers...a precedent has been set by the NBL for Creek

Reply #839892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's no simple, easy way to deal with this situation is there?"

No one asked you to deal with it. They said that you only looking at the issue from Creek's POV and then celebrating the result from a basketball perspective is ordinary. You obviously still can't see that, as you just described the impact to the victim as "unfortunate" before immediately bringing Creek's POV back into it.

If that doesn't slap you in the head for being out of line then I don't know what else to say.

Reply #839893 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You obviously still can't see that, as you just described the impact to the victim as "unfortunate" before immediately bringing Creek's POV back into it.]

Stop trolling from an anonymous account

Discuss the issue seriously or get outta here. Cheers.

Reply #839894 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[They said that you only looking at the issue from Creek's POV]

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling, but in any case, this is such laughable nonsense.

Primarily I've looked at the issue through the lens of the justice system being the appropriate area to deal with a charge, rather than vigilante justice which pre-emptively assumes the outcome in advance.

[No one asked you to deal with it.]

No one asked any of us to deal with it! I'm suggesting Creek continue playing, others are suggesting he is banished until the courts adjudicate. Guilty until proven innocent, in other words.

Both views are requesting a certain action from the NBL/SEM.

Reply #839897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, just as I thought. You have no response to a reasonable line of questioning.

Reply #839899 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hoops would be better if anonymous trolls were banned

Not suggesting all anons are trolls, but there's obviously a few

Reply #839900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asking you to explain yourself isn't trolling. Man up and respond to the questions.

Reply #839901 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"[You obviously still can't see that, as you just described the impact to the victim as "unfortunate" before immediately bringing Creek's POV back into it.]

Stop trolling from an anonymous account"

This anon clearly wasn't trolling. They made a great point. All you have done is look at how this will affect the alleged criminal and given only passing acknowledgement to the alleged victim. This is the pattern we see in cases like this over and over again.

Famous athlete/entertainer is credibly charged with offense against a woman:

"We have to think about how this will affect his career"

Reply #839902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hilarious that LV and other are complaining about cancel culture when LV just tried to "cancel" me for asking him a series of questions about how he arrived at his opinions.

Reply #839903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, why did you delete the second part of this sentence before responding?

"They said that you only looking at the issue from Creek's POV *and then celebrating the result from a basketball perspective is ordinary*."

You keep ignoring the points being made to you while demanding others discuss this seriously. You can't pick and choose which parts you want to respond to.

Reply #839905 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[All you have done is look at how this will affect the alleged criminal and given only passing acknowledgement to the alleged victim. This is the pattern we see in cases like this over and over again.]

I said very clearly, that regardless of which way this goes- someone can potentially be dealt with unfairly. Whether the alleged victim or the alleged perpetrator. That is unavoidable.

The question is which way we go and why. Which risk do we take- the risk of being unfair to whom?

My question is why we ourselves are viewing ourselves as judge and jury when there's a court system designed to play that role? What benefit is there?

A potential benefit you're suggesting is less trauma for the alleged victim.

But, the principle of our legal system and the foundational moral philosophy is that it's preferable to let a guilty person go free than lock up an innocent person. Yet that's exactly what many here are happy to risk doing- pre-emptively locking up an innocent person by stopping their career in it's tracks. Why? What are the principles behind your attempt at doing this? What long term benefit is there?

Someone needs to provide a solid answer to that question, and stop accusing me of not responding to things.

Reply #839906 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Of course he can pick and choose, that's what happens when you argue to validate your own position rather than on the merits of the actual situation as a whole.

Reply #839908 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[What long term benefit is there?]

To be clear, I'm asking what are the long term benefits and consequences for society if we start throwing out this age old principle and applying vigilante justice instead?

Reply #839909 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Of course he can pick and choose, that's what happens when you argue to validate your own position rather than on the merits of the actual situation as a whole.]

What are you even talking about? Be clear.

What are the "merits of the actual situation" that you speak of?

The social climate? Yes- I agree. The NBL's decision might not be a wise one.

But, perhaps we should do the right, principled thing instead of worrying about upsetting the baying mob on Twitter?

Reply #839910 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Literally nobody is advocating to lock up Creek before a trial. Nobody.

As we've seen time and time again, the man's career is more important than the woman's wellbeing. This is just another example.

"What long term benefit is there?"

Oh, I don't know, perhaps an end to a culture where women are afraid to speak up because they'll cop endless abuse for ruining a man's career.

The whole "stopping their career" thing is even bullshit. Ask Wayne Carey.

Reply #839911 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"What are the "merits of the actual situation" that you speak of?"

That Creek has been charged with a serious offense and is on paid leave while the legal process plays out? As much as you love the 'locked up' imagery, no one is suggesting that should happen, just that he should not be playing or involved with the SEM Phoenix until that is resolved. If he's innocent then he has his own legal avenues he can explore. That's the system.

Reply #839912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Literally nobody is advocating to lock up Creek before a trial. Nobody.]

No, but you're advocating that his career- which by it's very nature means he'll have a max of another 8 or 9 years, and another 4 or 5 in his prime- be stopped before he's found guilty of anything.

[The whole "stopping their career" thing is even bullshit. Ask Wayne Carey.]

Carey has multiple convictions. Creek has none.

[Oh, I don't know, perhaps an end to a culture where women are afraid to speak up because they'll cop endless abuse for ruining a man's career.]

Ironically you're the one suggesting someone's career be ruined. Not the woman, who I hope is receiving huge support.

Reply #839913 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"[The whole "stopping their career" thing is even bullshit. Ask Wayne Carey.]

Carey has multiple convictions. Creek has none."

ah yeah....thats kind of my point. Poor Carey must be jobless and on the street with all the woke lefties not letting him get on with his life....

"Ironically you're the one suggesting someone's career be ruined. Not the woman, who I hope is receiving huge support."

hahahahaha

Reply #839914 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I do wonder if Carey's misdemeanours occurred today whether he'd ever commentate again. Interesting question that. The social climate has changed.

But like I said earlier, I don't like the fact that Carey is on TV. But the key difference is he has multiple convictions.

Creek has been charged and may yet be found guilty or innocent by the justice system.

Let it be.

Make a decision at the appropriate time after justice has run its course.

I'm not the justice system. None of us are.

Reply #839915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There aren't many people actually saying Creek needs to be found guilty before the due process of the trial. Most are probably accepting that he is innocent until proven guilty but are mainly disappointed that the NBL reversed its decision (to stand him down until their investigation would be complete) when nothing has changed except the court hearing.

So it just seems like you are straw-manning the entire thread so you can keep your dream of a local derby GF alive, which you refuse to acknowledge as being in poor taste when brought into a complicated matter.

Reply #839916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The social climate has changed."

Thats just another way of saying that women now feel more empowered to speak up, as they should be.

Reply #839917 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"But like I said earlier, I don't like the fact that Carey is on TV. But the key difference is he has multiple convictions."

Thats only key insofar as it reinforces how "you have to think of his career!" nonsense by the likes of you is a steaming pile.

Reply #839918 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Most are probably accepting that he is innocent until proven guilty but are mainly disappointed that the NBL reversed its decision]

Disappointed that the NBL won't banish him before he's had a chance to defend himself through the appropriate process?

Ah, gotcha.

[that the NBL reversed its decision (to stand him down until their investigation would be complete)]

Perhaps their investigation concluded and they decided the right path forward was that Creek continues playing.

The right decision has been reached, perhaps via a convoluted process with poor media messaging. but the right decision nonetheless.

Reply #839919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the other party involved would prefer Creek to maintain his full employment and career opportunities.

Reply #839920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their investigation hasn't even started. They clearly state the integrity unit's investigation won't start until after the criminal case has finished.

So what has changed between two weeks ago and today to cause the reversal of the decision? Absolutely nothing

Reply #839921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perhaps their investigation concluded and they decided the right path forward was that Creek continues playing."

That isn't what they said though.

To repeat, you refuse to acknowledge (your comments) as being in poor taste when brought into a complicated matter.

Reply #839922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe the other party involved would prefer Creek to maintain his full employment and career opportunities."

For what reason?

Reply #839923 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

At what point does everyone acknowledge that nobody gains anything furthering the LV vs the World battle royale.

"The Last Word" means nada in a forum tbh and I think it has exhausted its value if there was any to be had anyway

Reply #839930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word

Reply #839931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Mitch Creek is an employee. The NBL is his workplace. Like any business the NBL is subject to workplace laws. If he was sacked prior to any findings they could be in trouble for unfair dismissal, etc and then be subject to a range of penalties."

Finally someone talking sense

Reply #839957 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody is talking about sacking him, so no, that doesn't make any sense at all.

Reply #839958 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Thats only key insofar as it reinforces how "you have to think of his career!" nonsense by the likes of you is a steaming pile"

Hold on, this only applies if you make the assumption that he is guilty. The argument in support of allowing Creek to play is that he should be considered innocent until proven guilty. There is a legal process in motion to determine this.

Now if Creek's verdict is guilty, then everything obviously changes. But as far as I can see, nobody is making a claim that Creek's career should be protected in the case he is guilty.

A lot of people here are making claims on the assumption of guilt. I'm sure Isaac will not want anyone to discuss details of the case nor specific indicators of guilt, but there are a lot people chiming in speaking as if they do know this. When Creek gets a guilty verdict, then that's when the vilification is welcome.

Reply #839964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said rjd.

Reply #839966 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Hold on, this only applies if you make the assumption that he is guilty. "

Not true. Its clear that being found guilty of an offense is not a career killer. Being accused and charged and the case either being dropped, settled or cleared even less so. The idea that his career is being put in jeopardy simply because the league/club makes the decision to stand him down pending a trial doesn't hold water. Its acknowledgement that they're serious claims and that your organisation treats them with respect deserved. They're just undone that.

"When Creek gets a guilty verdict, then that's when the vilification is welcome."

Ahem...*if

Reply #839967 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If the verdict is guilty, no thread discussing the guilty verdict will be allowed.

Reply #839968 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Glen Rice jr never played another game in that season for the breakers...a precedent has been set by the NBL for Creek"

That's right, this appears to be a reasonable recent precedent to use. But it has a few significant differences. The nature of the Rice incident was that it had verifiable witnesses for the Breakers to make their own assessment. I lack knowledge of the Creek incident, but perhaps others in this thread must know whether SEM is able to do the same. You would also expect the Breakers -- if they were smart last year, which is arguable -- wrote in a contractual obligation for Rice to stay out of trouble given that Rice has a very long and troubling criminal record. So was Rice dismissed due to the charge or due to breaking contract? There is a difference.

Reply #839971 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is obviously a topic of serious interest for NBL fans. Please, where possible, try to keep the discussion reasonable - there are a number of angles that (I'm guessing) are fair discussion without judging the specifics of a case. e.g., should a player be stood down pending investigation, should the NBL pay much heed to larger leagues in following their practices and so on.

It does amaze me though how quickly people leap to extremes in arguing what is clearly a bit of a grey area. Hopefully anyone with a position can appreciate the arguments of the other side.

" Mitch Creek is an employee. The NBL is his workplace. Like any business the NBL is subject to workplace laws. If he was sacked prior to any findings they could be in trouble for unfair dismissal, etc and then be subject to a range of penalties."
I assume he was effectively on paid leave which happens to police, teachers and the like when something is waiting on an investigation, right? The difference here I guess is that police/teachers/etc are generally not in a competitive space and a limited season - whether that changes anything is probably up for discussion.

I suspect the NBL/Phoenix/Creek had the initial plan assuming there'd be a resolution sooner rather than later. The Phoenix might have been more OK with that arrangement had they assumed Broekhoff would fill the void in their line-up. Then maybe they applied a bit of pressure to the league - "he says he's innocent, and we can only take his word for it until an investigation tells us otherwise; this is going to disadvantage us significantly. What if he's kept out of any leadership positions, media appearances and community roles, just plays and that's it?"

On the other hand, "charged by police" is a cut above "allegation raised", and the league could've drawn the line at that as precedent.

Rice Jr was sacked, right? Creek was on paid leave, surely?

Reply #839972 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"The nature of the Rice incident was that it had verifiable witnesses for the Breakers to make their own assessment."

Ah, right, some men saw what happened, so it must be true. I get it

Reply #839973 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Not true. Its clear that being found guilty of an offense is not a career killer."

* is *sometimes* not a career killer.

Regardless, I don't see anyone arguing this.

Reply #839975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Glen Rice jr never played another game in that season for the breakers, a precedent has been set by the NBL for Creek"

The NBL or BA cleared Rice and he played one more game after being arrested. The NBL didn't set any precedent, the Breakers made the call after he breached his bail conditions.

Reply #839976 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If anyone involved thought this court case would resolve itself in time for Creek to resume playing, they're too stupid to keep their jobs.

And no, Isaac, there is no grey area here. The grey area was two weeks ago. They picked their side, now they're backtracking. It's gutless, spineless bullshit.

Reply #839978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest qualifying for the Olympic team for Creek would have a big part in this as well. Pretty hard to make the team if you haven't played/trained for months.

Reply #839981 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Ah, right, some men saw what happened, so it must be true. I get it"

That's weak. Stop this rubbish. I'm suggesting that if an employer wishes to make a judgement on guilt prior to the trial, there are some offenses that are clearly easier to verify. I'm not suggesting clubs should do this, nor that any particular kind of charge is more or less likely to be true.

If one were to make an independent judgement prior to the criminal judgement -- let's call it, pre-judicial (sounds a lot like "prejudiced", right?) -- then it makes sense to base it on facts of the case.

Reply #839982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"According to The Age, Creek was charged on Monday with intentionally causing injury, recklessly causing injury, and unlawful assault after a four-month police investigation over the incident which took place at a Melbourne woman's home, which left the woman in her 20s with serious facial injuries."

A woman has got serious facial injuries. Either someone else bashed her and is trying to pin it on Creek (unlikely) or there was an altercation between the two, which ended up with the woman being severely injured. Surely that second part alone is something the NBL, BA and/or the Phoenix want to be distancing themselves from?

Reply #839983 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

So the fact he's been charged by police, who clearly believe they have the evidence to convict isnt enough? Its just he said she said, so obviously we believe him and thats all fine as usual huh?

Reply #839984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm suggesting that if an employer wishes to make a judgement on guilt prior to the trial, there are some offenses that are clearly easier to verify."

Doesn't it make you think that SEM have not done this? He's obviously got a version of events that is either complete denial that he was involved, or he's was involved, has offered an "excuse" which SEM has decided is acceptable.

Reply #839987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The nrl and afl have had a lot more cases than the basketball so brought in extreme measures to try and stop it happening. Lots of the time there was video evidence available confirming bad behaviour,this is not the case with Creek, it's ones word against another.

There is a lot of hypocrisy in some of these situations, I have friends who know of an 18 year old killed on a construction site due to unsafe conditions, yes the authorities came in and closed the site for two weeks but it was then reopened to continue the construction. The site is complete and the court case is still pending. My point is the it wasn’t stopped in tracks till the court case.

Hopefully SEM and the nbl have spoken to the relevant people and decided that Creek should be allowed to continue till it’s decided in court if it gets that far. Don’t forget Creek is pleading not guilty.

Reply #839988 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What conversation could they possibly have had now that they couldn't have had two weeks ago?

Reply #839990 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"So the fact he's been charged by police, who clearly believe they have the evidence to convict isnt enough? Its just he said she said, so obviously we believe him and thats all fine as usual huh?"

There you again. Proposing that the legal system determine guilt is "believing" in the system; it's also "believing" police and "believing" the accuser because it supports the right to prosecute the accused. Nobody is suggesting that Creek's charges should be dropped.

Reply #839991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" A woman has got serious facial injuries. Either someone else bashed her and is trying to pin it on Creek (unlikely) or there was an altercation between the two, which ended up with the woman being severely injured."

Are these the only 2 possibilities?

Reply #839993 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who needs the legal system when we have people who are ready to pronounce guilt on the basis of the police deciding to charge someone.

Stuff it, get rid of courts. Judges. Juries. Who needs em anyway?

Reply #839995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Oh, I don't know, perhaps an end to a culture where women are afraid to speak up because they'll cop endless abuse for ruining a man's career."

If he's allowed to play, then isn't it more likely that the woman won't cop abuse for ruining his career? Because his career will go on until the court decides

Reply #839996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Are these the only 2 possibilities?"

I know the second possibility is a very broad one but I can't think of anything that could have happened where Creek and the SEM can safely determine the situation is not something that should concern them.

Feel free to throw something out there.

Reply #839997 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Since when was "letting the appropriate process take place" akin to "believe him and that's all fine".

Goodness me.

Reply #839998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So the fact he's been charged by police, who clearly believe they have the evidence to convict isnt enough?"

There have been many cases where someone has been charged by police but isn't found guilty.

Reply #839999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who needs the legal system when we have people who are ready to pronounce guilt on the basis of the police deciding to charge someone.

Stuff it, get rid of courts. Judges. Juries. Who needs em anyway?"

He wasn't talking about the legal system, he was talking about an employer's rights or obligations in situations like these. Stop trolling.

Reply #840000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There have been many cases where someone has been charged by police but isn't found guilty"

Of course but that doesn't mean the club needs to associate itself with someone who's behaviour led to serious charges such as these.

Reply #840001 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Who needs the legal system when we have people who are ready to pronounce guilt on the basis of the police deciding to charge someone.

Stuff it, get rid of courts. Judges. Juries. Who needs em anyway?

Can you highlight where someone has said the accused should be declared guilty right now and locked up right now?

Reply #840015 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Can you highlight where someone has said the accused should be declared guilty right now and locked up right now?]

Everybody who wants him stood down wants him suffering significant consequences for something the courts are yet to adjudicate on.

That may not equate to a "declaration of guilt" but it does mean punishing someone whose guilt or innocence is yet to be determined through due process.

Reply #840020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club doesn't need a court decision to make that determination.

Reply #840021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Cousins was sacked without any criminal conviction (at the time) or even a positive drug test.

Reply #840022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He'd still be getting paid, I assume. The "significant consequences" would be reputational damage which occured the second the story broke in newspapers and carry through publicity from the police investigation. Flip-flopping on the "can't play or train" decision put it back in the papers too. Otherwise, those particular consequences are separate to his being shelved, right?

Other consequences might relate to being an MVP chance or prestige of winning a championship. Otherwise, he's likely being paid not to work. He can still shoot around and go to the gym, so I'm not sure that the Boomers angle is as significant.

The major consequences pertaining directly to the stood-down decision probably rest more so with the Phoenix. Reiterating that his reputational damage is separate. In fact, volunteering to stand down might've helped in the first instance.

Phoenix might've pointed to AFL instances as precedent from major leagues? One case was referenced in the newspaper article about this flip-flop today.

Reply #840023 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Creek is not currently eligible for Boomers selection, and that remains true regardless of his reinstatement in the NBL.

Reply #840024 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-2021-mitch-creek-could-be-stood-down-again-by-nbl-pending-the-result-of-his-next-hearing/news-story/8fbc94aaf5f924e06cd9235cd7b6a286

Reply #840026 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Having originally stood the 28-year-old down, the NBL was legally forced to let Creek train and play after his lawyer questioned the league's rules, which don’t include a stand-down policy like the NRL.

As a result, Creek’s representatives stressed there were no legal grounds to stop the Phoenix forward from playing.

Reply #840027 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So the stand over stuff came from Creek's lawyers not SEM's? Interesting.

Still absolutely gutless.

Reply #840028 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So Creek's lawyers presumably have a good case that the NBL lacks grounds to stand him down.

Why does it then say the NBL could reverse on April 21? Is there an NBL policy that could come into play at that specific point for some reason?

Reply #840030 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(After the next hearing)

Reply #840031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gutless if their lawyers advised them they'd be unlikely to win that case? Better to comply and introduce a formal stand-down rule later maybe.

Reply #840033 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Imagine how much bad PR the NBL and Phoenix could have saved themselves by actually saying that in the first place, instead of just citing the adjournment.

I mean, their lack of a stand-down policy is itself a PR issue but FFS guys, but bloody hell.

Reply #840034 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gutless if their lawyers advised them they'd be unlikely to win that case? Better to comply and introduce a formal stand-down rule later maybe.
Yeah, it appears they're not gutless, just incredibly stupid.

Which isn't any better.

Reply #840035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embarrassing from SEM too.

Reply #840040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I quote myself earlier:

" If Creek is suspended and cannot play, but is later found not guilty then he would have a claim against the NBL. In richer leagues, I suspect the suspensions are paid and there are tighter contractual terms for bringing the league into disrepute. But I don't know if the NBL clubs can afford that."

The NBL has been caught out as a bit unorganised. Is anyone surprised?

Reply #840041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, did the AFL treat Ben Cousins poorly as he had not yet received a guilty verdict through due process at the time he was delisted?

Reply #840042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" If Creek is suspended and cannot play, but is later found not guilty then he would have a claim against the NBL"

#confidentlyincorrect

Reply #840043 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wasn't that like, Cousins 14th strike before the 3 strike policy eventually came in?

Reply #840045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look at government employees such as police officers who are suspended with pay whilst their matters go through the courts. Once a guilty plea or verdict happens they are sacked. But then again, only a few years ago a supreme court judge plead guilty to drink driving, apart from usual fines and loss of license, her only penalty was that she couldn't preside over appeals regarding drunk drivers.

Reply #840046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't delisted for failing a drug test. He was delisted because he was charged with an offence

Reply #840047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Assuming the initial reporting was correct, the NBL, Phoenix and Creek agreed that he would stand-down for that period. So potentially the timeline is that they had consensus, then Creek/lawyer changed their mind, NBL complied (possibly on legal advice).

"Gutless/stupid" strike me as a bit unfair on the league trying to work through this.

Reply #840048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creeks Lawyers found a rabbit in the hole.

Ask the NBL for its document relating to standing a player down.....

Ooops, there ISNT ONE.
No guidelines.
No protocol.
No set rules.

Amazing.

Reply #840049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the club have a policy that could stand Creek down?

Reply #840050 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Isaac, what path could the NBL have taken through this process, that would have made them look worse than the path they did take?

Short of coming out in actual support of domestic violence, I struggle to think of one.

They should have had a policy in place.
If there wasn't anything allowing them to suspend him, they shouldn't have suspended him.
In announcing the suspension, they should have made it seem like it was a short term meaningless thing.
In announcing his reinstatement, they should have cited the lack or a policy instead of the adjournment.

They've screwed this up at literally every step.

Reply #840052 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Short of coming out in actual support of domestic violence, I struggle to think of one.]

You are such a hack.

Reply #840054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you please answer my question about Ben Cousins, LV?

Reply #840056 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cousins has such a long history of misdemeanours that its hard to remember what occurred when. Cousins was on his final straw before his drink was half empty.

A different situation to somebody who's been charged with offences relating to one incident.

Reply #840058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can remember, and it's easy enough to find online. The key point is that he was sacked before his club and the league allowed due process (ie his court case) to unfold. What's the difference here?

Reply #840059 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A totally different situation with a different surrounding context and facts.

Reply #840060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if there wasn't a document, could the NBL have stared Creek down and said sue us, we’re making a stand in principle and you’ll just look bad anyway?

Given the way Loeliger and NBL went after the Breakers and Walsh last year, I can’t help but feel they’re being just a bit soft all of a sudden.

Reply #840061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Creek is suspended and cannot play, but is later found not guilty then he would have a claim against the NBL"

#confidentlyincorrect

Why? If the players contract states nothing about how suspensions would work should the player be charged with a criminal offence then what should happen? It's common for these clauses to exist. Clearly, the NBL and/or SEM have had to back down because they’ve been threatened that what they were intending to do did not hold up for whatever reason and a compromise has been reached.

Reply #840062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree there are differences in the Cousins situation and what Creek has allegedly done but for the past 24 hours you've taken a pretty clear stance that a player shouldnt be disciplined until due process has been followed. I'm highlighting that hasn't always been the case and you seem to agree the AFL and WCE did the right thing when they did.

So now that we have a different precedent to what you mentioned regarding player discipline, my question is do you not think a charge of causing aggravated injury which left a woman with serious facial injuries is enough for a league or club to take action against the player?

Reply #840063 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think there's any number of possibilities around what occurred between Creek and the alleged victim, and it isn't my role to adjudicate about that without having the evidence or any understanding of the situation whatsoever. Nor is it the NBL's role.

Of course the NBL may know much more than what we do. But either way the courts are the place where these matters are dealt with.

Reply #840065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But we know a woman has serious facial injuries, and we know the police have enough evidence to warrant charging him with three counts of assault. Is that not enough for action to be taken?

Reply #840068 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not unless the NBL have the full brief of evidence in front of them, a detailed understanding of the situation and confidence in their own ability to accurately and fairly assess that evidence, no.

Reply #840070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let's say they get that when the BA Integrity Unit or whatever conducts their investigation, which won't be until the time of the next hearing. What then?

Reply #840071 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Not unless the NBL have the full brief of evidence in front of them, ]

And by full brief, I include that the NBL would need statements from all parties and to undertake a detailed and thorough investigation. Not merely the police evidence.

Reply #840072 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What then?

If it becomes bleeding obvious that Creek is guilty then the NBL could be justified in taking action.

But how could they know that without the full court process and judgement taking place?

Reply #840073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the NBL is in a position to demand a statement from the victim. Surely the police allegations and Creek's response to that via statement is enough for them to make a decision?

Reply #840074 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The victim statements and a full examination of the circumstances are crucial to understanding the event and whether there were any mitigating factors or anything which would reduce Creek's guilt or help understand his actions.

In other words, the NBL needs to be as thorough as a court. If they're not in a position to do that, don't go there, simply let the court do its job.

Reply #840077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the truth comes out there is going to be a lot of embarrassed people. BA and NBL haven't just made a wild decision without basis

Reply #840078 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mitigating factors? Are you fucking serious?

Stop pretending this is about due process and just admit you don't have a problem with punching women, dude.

Reply #840079 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[When the truth comes out there is going to be a lot of embarrassed people. ]

You don't know what the truth is.

If you're suggesting guilt then so be it. After the process takes place, Creek can be dealt with by the justice system and NBL/SEM can deal with him in accordance with knowing he's been found guilty rather than accused.

As far as I can see, this is the fairest way to play it. It may not appease everyone but it seems fair and principled.

Reply #840080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In other words, the NBL needs to be as thorough as a court.

No they don't. At all.

Reply #840081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perhaps a difference between suspending someone and coming to an agreement with them that they would be suspended. Where the Phoenix sit on this might become apparent with his getting a DNP or not against the Hawks?

Reply #840082 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[you don't have a problem with punching women, dude.]

Oh dear.

Time for you to take a deep breath and go watch your favourite comedy special on Netflix.

Reply #840083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you give us some examples of what mitigating factors might be?

Reply #840084 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Use your imagination.

Or Google it.

Reply #840085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where the Phoenix sit on this might become apparent with his getting a DNP or not against the Hawks?"

Really interesting point.

If Creek has forced the issue and the NBL and / or SEM don't agree with him, SEM can opt not to play him. DNP - CD. What would Creek's lawyers do then?

Reply #840086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm asking your opinion on what a mitigating factor might be in smashing a woman's face in that leads to three charges of assault.

Reply #840089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way the NBL would reinstate him without SEM being agreeable and vice versa.

Reply #840090 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This may be crossing a line that Isaac would prefer isn't crossed. So I'll just point out that you don't know exactly how the injuries were suffered, so saying "smashing a woman's face in" is not necessarily an accurate depiction.

But, I'll stop there.

Reply #840091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fine, I'll change it to "suffered serious facial injuries." What mitigating factors do you think there are?

Reply #840092 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In fact I think everyone should stop dealing in assumptions and guesswork.

Stay in your lanes.

Let the process take place.

Reply #840093 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[a lot of things are unknown and shouldn't be assumed.]

No! Surely not?

Everything is known by some on this thread, with so little information.

I wish I had their abilities of analysis and reaching conclusions so quickly with so little data. I'd be incredibly successful in life if I did.

Reply #840104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let's say someone is charged gets a fine let's say $5000 and no conviction is recorded. Is the matter then resolved to the satisfaction of everyone.

Reply #840113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Number of posts deleted and minimum privilege to post a reply has been raised.

Please avoid discussing the case itself. I have explained why previously in another thread. The discussion here needs to be about how this directly pertains to the NBL, Phoenix, etc.

---

Opinion: Gutless Basketball Australia's ignorance exposed after Mitch Creek decision

Not sure how in-depth this article is, but this line stood out:

And in this case Victorian Police did a four-month investigation into the South East Melbourne star, which finally led to him being charged.
On the other hand, I would've guessed the NRL had a policy because they had reason to create policy, and the article ignores the legal reason that may have forced the NBL's hand.

Reply #840116 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair enough on deleting posts Isaac.

But since you've deleted a few of mine (and I have no qualms with you doing so) you might want to also delete KRs post where he accused me of not having an issue with violence against women.

It is difficult resisting the temptation to abuse the keyboard warrior turd that he is for making a comment like that.

Reply #840130 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Actually scrap that, just leave it. I see you left my right of reply above. People can read KR's appalling nonsense and recognise what a sad person he is.

Reply #840131 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anyway, it's all been said in this thread. There's not much more to add.

Certainly an emotive issue and given the current political events, March for justice, etc, I'll predict other leagues will follow the NRL's suit with a "no fault" policy in coming years.

Reply #840133 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You believe there can be mitigating circumstances. Therefore you believe it is on some occasions acceptable to assault women. Your words.

Reply #840134 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's not actually an "assault" in that case.

Not my words. Just how the legal system works.

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of the fuzzy feelings you get from trashing others on an internet forum.

Reply #840136 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well yes, if you define it as not assault it isn't assault, but that doesn't actually change the behaviour.

Provocation is not a defense. Get your "maybe she deserved it" bullshit the fuck out of here.

Reply #840140 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Behold, folks.

Rarely will you experience somebody as confidently wrong as KR.

Reply #840143 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair LV I've defended you in the past just seeing you an argumentative one-eyed Victorian but I read your post in full before it was trimmed and it was shameful, I typed up a response at the time suggesting you probably should be banned for it and then decided not to post it as it would likely set off more BS.

Under no circumstances is domestic violence excusable.

Reply #840147 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I never said domestic violence was "excusable".

Goodness me, how do we end up with so many seemingly intelligent adults incapable of following the logic of ssomeone else's argument. The education system needs refreshing.

For the record, I said the NBL should continue allowing Creek to play, unless or until either 1. The full court process has been completed OR 2. The NBL has successfully undertaken the near- impossible task of thoroughly replicating the court process with a detailed examination of all evidence and circumstances and come to the confident conclusion that Creek will be found guilty.

This is not "excusing" anything, it's conducting a fair review of a situation with conflicting understandings about what occurred from relevant parties ie the accused/charged and accuser/ victim.

If your view is "someone had facial injuries therefore the other party should be banished until found not guilty, since they were charged" fair enough, this is a simplistic view to me, but I can understand why a "no fault" policy might exist. But please don't throw unnecessary comments at people who have painfully and in great detail explained why they reasonably disagree.

Reply #840154 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And to be 100% clear, my comments about "mitigating factors" were in the CONTEXT of my suggestion that a full replication of the legal process by the NBL is the only alternative to the actual legal process.

In other words if there are reasonable doubts about what occurred and Creek's guilt, then Creek should be allowed to continue participating.

This is not the same as suggesting Creek is totally blameless.

KR, Zodiac and everyone- In future, please make better attempts at following the thread of other people's arguments before hitting "post". Cheers.

Reply #840155 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And lastly, I would again caution aboutbcoming to conclusions based on inadequate information. We need less of that, not more. Cheers.

Reply #840157 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Someone else did it" is not a mitigating factor.

There are no mitigating factors.

Reply #840190 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To clarify: either he did what he's accused of doing, in which case there are no mitigating factors, or he didn't do what he's accused of doing, in which case it's an exonerating factor.

While the legal system may have to get bogged down in the exact details of the incident in terms of addressing sentencing and such, the NBL really has no such issue. If he did this, he's done. Regardless of whether he gets a six-month sentence or a six-year one.

The NBL is not a court of law, it's making these decisions based on ethical concerns. And if he's assaulted a woman badly enough to leave serious injuries, then he can GTFO, end of story, no matter what other things may have also occurred.

Reply #840198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The AOC appear to have a process by which a charge of assault renders the athlete ineligible. They use the metric of "charged by police" to find a middle ground and assign responsibility to a group with some level of investigatory power.

The article posted earlier suggests that police investigated for four months before coming to a decision.

Looks like tonight the Phoenix played him, so while the NBL may have been under legal pressure to rescind their suspension, the Phoenix have done it voluntarily.

Reply #840292 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Looks like tonight the Phoenix played him, so while the NBL may have been under legal pressure to rescind their suspension, the Phoenix have done it voluntarily.

It was telling that they brought him off the bench.

Reply #840297 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Will the Melbourne derby be renamed?

Reply #840298 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He hasn't played in a couple of weeks, so I wouldn't read much into him coming off the bench.

Reply #840358 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Musashi has replaced Creek with Broekhoff in their ads.

Reply #840966 | Report this post

You need a higher level of Hoops membership to post in this thread. If you're a longtime, registered member, contact me for an upgrade.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754