Isaac
Years ago

Westbrook breaks NBA triple double record

ESPN:

Russell Westbrook made history on Monday with 8:30 remaining in the fourth quarter against the Atlanta Hawks when he collected his 182nd triple-double and broke Oscar Robertson's record for most career triple-doubles.

Westbrook passed Robertson when the Wizards' point guard grabbed his 10th rebound in the fourth quarter at State Farm Arena. That gave him 21 points, 15 assists and 10 rebounds at that time. Robertson set the record of 181 triple-doubles on March 24, 1974, and had been the all-time leader in the category since the 1961-62 season. Robertson's record stood until Monday as Westbrook continued his triple-double assault.

Westbrook finished with 28 points, 13 rebounds and 21 assists in a narrow loss.

His recent statlines as the Wizards fight for a play-in berth have been incredible:

28/13/21
33/19/15
13/17/17
29/12/17
14/21/24

Topic #48478 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I remembered experts saying that someone would score 100 points in one game again before someone would average a triple double.

This guy has done it twice.

Reply #847609 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Actually 4 of the last 5 seasons now.

Reply #847611 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Has anyone studied why guys are so commonly getting triple doubles in this era? The lack of physicality likely gives offensive players more space and more threes taken and subsequent misses means smaller guys are probably grabbing more rebounds which lead to fastbreaks.

Any other theories?

Reply #847613 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Offenses are obscenely efficient, and teams play at a really high pace, so points and assists are much easier to come by. Nobody contests the O boards anymore, teams send all five guys back in D trans, so guards can chase rebounds instead of having to worry about boxing out, or deflecting it to an opponent if they try to take it away from a teammate.

Individual defensive rebounds are pretty much meaningless stats in today's NBA.

Reply #847614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams are jacking up more shots and running more. More rebounds and assists to be had but if it were so easy everyone would be doing it.

Reply #847616 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Well I mean, Steven Adams had a triple double earlier this season.

Reply #847617 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Most stats are meaningless in today's NBA with all the triple doubles and 50-60 point games due to the pace and lack of defence. Westbrook can average a triple double but he''s still a flawed inefficient basketball player that a garbage franchise like the Wizards wanted.

No serious team wants Westbrook on their team which tells you all you need to know about his 'achievements'.

Reply #847634 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't actually follow the NBA so I could be off-base, but the whole thing reminds me of that year Wilt decided he was going to lead the league in assists, so he refused to shoot, kept abusing teammates for missing shots after he passed them the ball or for not shooting, etc, and his team absolutely sucked.

Reply #847635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have different assist rules as well, every pass into the paint, no matter how many dribbles are taken is an assist. There are others that are also different.

Reply #847641 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's exactly the same as the FIBA rule.

Reply #847642 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's right stats have always been inflated in the NBA not to mention their games go 20% longer too. I wouldn't agree with Rondo's brother in calling Russ 'trash' but he's not far off just a stat padding chump really. No one's going to have this guy anywhere near the great PG's like Magic & Stockton even though his stats suggest he should be spoken about in the same company. Meaningless.

Reply #847645 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Now just take a moment to think what Steve Nash would do in this era with higher usage rates; and imagine what his PHX offense could do in today's game.

In his prime Suns days, his usage rate hovered around 20-23% each year.

For comparison, Westbrook was clocking 35ish % UR and even cranked it to 41.8% one year in OKC.

Imagine Nash having an extra 15-20 possessions each night (just on his own); with the type of offensive game-plans of today's world.

Reply #847723 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nash was never a usage guy.

Reply #847740 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a hollow achievement since it is in today's defenceless NBA, he may be a stats leader but will never be a champion.

In the game yesterday where he broke the record his Wizards lost because he bricked a horribly taken three when only down by a point. I thought that was fitting.

Reply #847795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe, the year Wilt led the league in total assists, his team won 62 games, and lost to the Celtics in the East Finals in 7 (granted Philly coughed up a 3-1 lead, but plenty of great teams have had that happen to them). If that is his team sucking... (He put up similar assists number the year prior when the Sixers won the championship).

Reply #847903 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Philly coughed up a 3-1 lead, but plenty of great teams have had that happen to them
Name two.

The impression I got was that it'd ruined team chemistry, but then my main source for information on the subject is the Wilt-vs-Russell section of Bill Simmons's book, and he's hardly an unbiased source.

Reply #847921 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Philly coughed up a 3-1 lead, but plenty of great teams have had that happen to them
Name two."

Thunder to the Warriors in Conf Finals and Warriors to the Cavs in the finals of the same year

Reply #847922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off the top of my head the 81 Celtics against Philly, the Kemp era Sonics gave up a 3-1 lead to the Nuggets, and the Nowitzki Mavs lost to the Baron Davis Warriors as well.

Reply #847923 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

the Nowitzki Mavs lost to the Baron Davis Warriors as well.
If it's the series I'm thinking of, they lost in six. Can't have had a 3-1 lead.

Thunder to the Warriors in Conf Finals and Warriors to the Cavs in the finals of the same year
That year's Warriors is the reason I said name two, not name one: they're the obvious pick. Were the Thunder really that good that year?

Reply #847928 | Report this post

Tomas  
Years ago

I named three, you refuted one, so I guess I got two right!

Reply #847930 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Nuggets-Sonics series was best-of-five.

Reply #847931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah true.

Reply #847932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Houston did it in 95 on their way to a second title.

Reply #847933 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Houston lost from 3-1 up on their way to winning a title?

Reply #847935 | Report this post

Tomas  
Years ago

No they came back from a 3-1 deficit

Reply #847936 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The discussion is about great teams that lost from 3-1 up, not teams that came back from 1-3 down.

Reply #847938 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Were the Thunder really that good that year?"

Prime KD and Russ. Would probably have been favourites against the Cavs if they go through the Warriors. Its probably a judgement call.

Reply #847942 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wait, KD went to the Warriors after the 73-9 season?

Reply #847943 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yes. And?

Reply #847945 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nothing, particularly. That's just even more of a bitchy ring-chasing move than I'd thought.

Reply #847953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754