LV
Years ago

COVID and NBL fixture issues

Wanted to repost this, since it's worth it's own thread.

United finished 7 games clear of everyone bar Perth

If they play Perth in the GF, ironically Perth will have the home advantage despite finishing lower

So it's absolutely absurd to suggest this season's fixture resulted in United getting any unfair advantage over any team at the end of the day in terms of having success this season.

Ironically they finished 1st but for fixture purposes are really equal 3rd, as Hawks and Perth both get home advantage over them in playoffs. So United have been DISADVANTAGED by covid issues more than anyone else because they're the only team who isn't allowed to play home playoff games they rightfully earned. Or would've earned, given the 7 game advantage.

The travel factor in terms of hours flown is the only other difference but it's not a huge issue imo. And the "in their own bed" thing, well based on the small sample size of the 2020 AFL and NRL seasons, sleeping in a different bed is an advantage!

Interestingly SEM has crept into playoffs, so they have had an infinitely greater advantage than United by their home and away fixture, as its perfectly reasonable to argue it was the difference that got them into the playoffs. Whereas it made zero difference to United's end result as established above.

Topic #48667 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Correction- United is 8 games clear of all except Perth

Reply #851691 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In this thread I'm summarising the effects of all Covid effects

Of course United had an advantageous home and away fixture. As did SEM.

But the point of my post was:

1. Overall Covid impacts will now mean actually, United will become the most disadvantaged team (assuming the GF isn't allowed in front of crowds in Melbourne. Which seems likely).

2. SEM have a massively greater advantage from their H&A fixture than United. Given it arguably got them into the playoffs whereas United would've been top 2 regardless (and are now not even truly top 2 as far as home court, again assuming no playoffs in Melb)

Side note: United was 11-2 in games outside Victoria. The argument I'm making in this thread only relies on the obvious idea that United would've finished top 2 with a regular home and away fixture. But given they were 11-2 outside Victoria (better than their 17-6 record in Vic) and given they finished 3 games clear of Perth, this strongly suggests they'd have top spot even if 20-21 had the same H&A fixture as other years

Reply #851693 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Of course if United plays SEM in the semis- neutralising the crowd issue - and then is allowed full capacity GF crowds in Melbourne then these arguments are irrelevant. United won't really be disadvantaged in playoffs (except to the extent Melbourne has a bigger fan base than SEM and would miss that slight advantage in the semi finals)

But the side note about United's record and 3 game minor premiership buffer suggesting they would be #1 in any season will remain the case regardless of what happens from here.

Reply #851694 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

TL;DR

Reply #851695 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This thread? It's a no from me.

Reply #851696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV is a no for me

Reply #851697 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

LV mate I barely follow the nbl and I'm not trying to be a dick but yes on paper do United have the best roster (especially pre white injury) yeah probably and thus they’d still be title favourites, however I think considering United had like a month of extra home games or whatever it was I think it’s a bit silly to go on about their playoffs disadvantage considering that’ll be like 3 weeks. They got an advantage in the regular season so now they can take a hit in the playoffs. Does it suck for them they likely won’t have home playoff games? Absolutely, however considering the luxury they got in the regular season I think it evens out tbh.

Obviously the playoffs is higher intensity and what not but this is sounding like a vic afl team complaining about going on the road when they essentially get a bunch of extra home games too.

You can bring up the records of home and away and I’m not discounting that but they got to be home, in their own beds with their families etc more than non vic teams. And considering Perth weren’t that far behind them, I think it’s reasonable to say that if the tables were turned they’d be first.

Yes I understand the reason behind the cup and whatnot so it’s not sour grapes but considering all those games they got at home they did benefit off that.

So yes it sucks for them to not get any playoff games but considering what occurred in the regular season I think you just need to settle down a bit mate.

If anyone gets to complain it’s the breakers

Summary: Yes they will be disadvantaged in the playoffs and that sucks for them but they got an advantage in the regular season so it balances out

Reply #851699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha

Reply #851701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this write to get a NBL job seems long and really who cares. Melb should still win the whole thing they paid enough for it.

Reply #851702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

110% with you LV. Great points. People on here have anti-MU blinkers on, so it's hard to get the point across. They don't seem to think that the deepest team in the league can just get the job done for some reason, and are constantly looking for excuses.

Reply #851704 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

TL;DR

L = ... long? lame? laborious? or just LV?

Reply #851705 | Report this post

Frankthetank  
Years ago

The NBL headquarters doing a little bit of A/B testing of their usual suck up media strategy for Melb United disadvantage, here on Hoops via our mate LV?

Reply #851706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Of course United had an advantageous home and away fixture"

Which is what I've been saying all along. Why it took you four days and numerous posts across several threads is beyond me.

Reply #851707 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Which is what I've been saying all along. Why it took you four days and numerous posts across several threads is beyond me.]

It's just stating the obvious- United had more home games than normal. Of course that's helpful.

However it hasn't resulted in any advantage in the final analysis for United, given results suggest United would've likely finished on top anyway. Only for SEM.

SEM played 14 games outside Victoria, United played 13.

SEM went 9 straight weeks without travel - all of February and March. They played 5 away games in the space of almost 4 months, with 3 of those games together in a 6 day road trip.

And then SEM have scraped into playoffs by one game and percentage or only percentage, depending on tomorrow's result.

Why the constant whining about United's advantage when SEM had similar? Either whine about both, or don't whine at all.

The advantages were for good reasons- the NBL Cup presumably made good sense from a financial perspective for the NBL, with Vic Gov support.

Reply #851713 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Why the constant whining about United's advantage when SEM had similar? ]

To be clearer:

They had a similar fixture advantage, but the results of that advantage mean SEM has been helped infinitely more than United. The fixture advantage arguably got SEM into the playoffs, but achieved nothing for United. Other than allowing them to "sleep in their own beds" and live at their usual homes with their families for a few more nights than other teams.

Reply #851714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"However it hasn't resulted in any advantage in the final analysis for United"

You don't think playing 12 out of 13 games at home which resulted in a ten game winning streak is an advantage caused by the momentum? I asked you this days ago - you constantly complain about momentum during games where you feel the refereeing was poor (ie every time Melbourne lose) but you're unable to apply the same logic across a body of work across a third of the season?

That ten game win streak put them in first and kept them there for the rest of the season.

Reply #851715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[You don't think playing 12 out of 13 games at home which resulted in a ten game winning streak is an advantage caused by the momentum?]

Of course this was an advantage.

But United finished 3 games clear of Perth.

United also had a 11-2 record in games outside Victoria.

This all suggests they would've got top spot regardless of the extra home games.

[That ten game win streak put them in first and kept them there for the rest of the season.]

This is simply nonsense. We've discussed this before- why do you persist making points that you know are incorrect?

United remained on top by defeating Perth TWICE IN PERTH. And defeating Illawarra IN ILLAWARRA. United has defeated their playoffs rivals in front of their rivals home crowds.

If Perth were good enough to beat United at RAC Arena, and if Perth were good enough to defeat Illawarra in Illawarra, then Perth would have top spot.

Why are you persisting making the easily disproven argument that United REMAINED on top due to home games earlier in the season?

Reply #851716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is simply nonsense. We've discussed this before- why do you persist making points that you know are incorrect?"

There is nothing incorrect about what I said.

Reply #851717 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It is nonsense, and I've explained very clearly why it's nonsense.

You haven't answered the points I've spelt out very clearly, in this or the other thread.

Reply #851718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this even a topic? We now ave 2 topics full of this crap.

Reply #851720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is hilarious but typical of LV. I posed the same question to him twice last week and he eventually responded with "I'm here to talk basketball, not conspiracy theories." Now he's had some time to formulate a response filled with hypotheticals and half-truths, he's demanding I respond.

Never change LV!

Reply #851721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV is a legend in his own mind. Go the Saints lol isn't it footy season LV and you don't watch hoops in footy season lol such a douche

Reply #851724 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha irrelevant comments and ad hominems from anonymous posters

Inability or refusal to actually respond to the substantive points made

Hoops, never change!

Reply #851726 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[ I posed the same question to him twice last week and he eventually responded with "I'm here to talk basketball, not conspiracy theories." ]

Except I had already responded in various other threads where you keep raising your nonsense. And you knew that.

Reply #851727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you never have, the same biased twat you have always been.

Reply #851728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would they have finished 1st without all those home games? Worst logic ever.

Reply #851731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Except I had already responded in various other threads where you keep raising your nonsense. And you knew that."

No you didn't. You completely ignored it the first time, then when I pressed you on it you said it's all a conspiracy theory

Reply #851733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv, if perth is not zig zagging across the country does cottons injury happen? Is it season ending? Fair to say it's probably not career threatening. To sweep the ridiculous travel schedule perth had under the rug as no difference is negligent on your part. Flying and injury management hate each other yet this doesn't factor into uniteds advantages in your mind. Wow

Reply #851735 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[To sweep the ridiculous travel schedule perth had under the rug as no difference is negligent on your part.]

What "ridiculous travel"?

Perth did the same amount of travel as they would in a normal season. Started with 2 games at home, then spent a month in Victoria without flying anywhere, then returned to a normal schedule for the remainder of the season. Slightly condensed with a 36 game schedule instead of 28, being the only difference.

14 games in Perth. Loads of games in Victoria like everyone else without travelling, mostly neutral games. And then the usual amount of genuine away games.

Reply #851737 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Flying and injury management hate each other yet this doesn't factor into uniteds advantages in your mind. Wow]

This is a fairly ironic comment too, when Perth barely had any injuries all season until Cotton went down

While Melbourne and SEM, plus Sydney, NZ, Cairns, Illawarra, Adelaide all suffered numerous and constant injuries. Unlike Perth, those teams rarely had their full lineup on the floor together for any consistent periods.

Reply #851738 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course Brisbane had Vic Law go down

So really, Perth was pretty much the only team who wasn't adversely affected by injuries all season. Until Cotton

Except Majok who they lost 2 months before the season, and replaced with Jervis who knows their system and has won multiple titles under the same coach.

Reply #851739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What "ridiculous travel"? "

He probably meant the recent stretch where they played 6 games in 11 days while flying back and forth across the country multiple times. They did good to finish 4-2 in that spell.

But yeah, you keep pretending that all things were equal and that Melbourne is really the most disadvantaged team in the league.

Reply #851741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#739 and Jervis is a spud

Reply #851742 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I think LV has some security issues about Perth.

Reply #851744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another LV classic. When he wants to make his team sound hard done by, he talks about players in terms of talent. Now he doesn't want to promote Perth in the same light so it's all about the systems. An absolute walking contradiction.

Reply #851745 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Every team has had crazy travel stretches at times.

United did 8 games in 25 days travelling to Perth and back twice, plus Wollongong, Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide. Including a week of quarantine in Perth hotels. And they're still on the road.

SEM have played in Cairns, New Zealand and now Brisbane in less than a week, and if they win they'll hop straight on a plane for Perth where they'll probably have to quarantine too.

Trying to link travel and injuries is a little tenuous especially when, as I said, Perth had less injuries than anyone else this season.

Reply #851746 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Another LV classic. When he wants to make his team sound hard done by, he talks about players in terms of talent. Now he doesn't want to promote Perth in the same light so it's all about the systems. An absolute walking contradiction.]

Majok was a loss, to be clear. He's better than Jervis at this stage of Jervis's career.

But losing someone 2 months before the season starts, is a different scenario to other teams who have suffered constant injuries throughout the season and often with uncertainty around if and when they would return (eg SEM with Pineau and Creek being good examples).

Reply #851748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth did 6 games in 11 days. United did 8 games in 25 days. Yes I can totally see the solid comparison you've just made.

Reply #851749 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[I think LV has some security issues about Perth.]

Not at all

United has beaten Perth the last 3 times they've played in Perth.

if anything it's the Perth fans on here who are so salty and sick of watching United walk into RAC and beat their team.

United's biggest threat this season is a semi final series against SEM, who could conceivably shoot the lights out twice in 3 games. With Sykes, Gliddon, Adnam and Broekhoff being flat out good shooters or talented scorers or both, Creek being Creek and Wetzell handy down low.

Reply #851750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth was won five grand finals in seven years including one on Melbourne's home court. We couldn't give a fuck about some random regular season games.

Reply #851751 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha, I get the impression you're a bit worried about this season though, based on all the whining about the NBL Cup and United's fixture

Reply #851752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"based on all the whining about the NBL Cup"

OMFG you can't be serious.

Reply #851754 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just did some analysis

True home games are played in front of your crowd. True away games are played in front of your opponent's crowd. Neutral games have neutral support.

Both United and SEM played 6 neutral games- 5 against each other, plus United played Cairns in Sydney, and SEM played Brisbane in Cairns.

United had 18 true home games and 12 away. SEM 17 and 13.

You typically have a 60-70% chance of winning at home and 30-40% away. For every 3 home games, you'll win one extra game compared to 3 away games (2 wins compared 1 win).

United had 1 extra win from going 18-12 instead of 15-15. SEM had 0.66 extra wins from going 17-13 instead of 15-15.

SEM probably would've made the top 4 anyway- if they win tomorrow. Since they'll be a game plus % clear of Sydney.

Reply #851759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#748 Pineau was always out. No different to Majok

Reply #851760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 in 11 compared to 8 in 25... also doesn't matter when the injuries occur Perth may be missing their starting back court for the play-offs on the back of that ridiculous schedule. But united lost White, the most important player on the deepest team in the league...

Also United and SEM got to enjoy playing at home, managing injuries without flying and training more while other teams were flying all around. How many training sessions has Magnay had in Perth? One or two? Remembering they had a game every 1.8 days? United had games every 3.1 in your example.

Reply #851762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineu has been a month to month proposition the entire season. It was his back, then his knee, then his wrist. Very different to Majok

Reply #851763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Perth's harsh schedule necessarily contributed to those injuries. Even if they flew home after the Brisbane game and had a week off, they still needed to fly home.

Norton got beat up in the Hawks loss. Again, not really related to travel.

But LV's comparing 6 games in 11 days to 8 games in 25 days is all sorts of laughable and is a massive own goal. Forget all this other "analysis" he is doing. It's all just pissing in the wind because he simply doesn't understand and/or won acknowledge the problem people have with the schedule.

Reply #851766 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Also United and SEM got to enjoy playing at home, managing injuries without flying and training more while other teams were flying all around.]

This is simply untrue, all teams were based in Melbourne for an entire month. No one was flying anywhere.

[ Forget all this other "analysis" he is doing. It's all just pissing in the wind because he simply doesn't understand and/or won acknowledge the problem people have with the schedule.]

Again, Perth was based in one location for 1 month. They did no more flying around and flight hours than they normally would.

Except to the extent the season was 36 games instead of 28, which every team had to put up with.

Now given these things are rarely reversed, my money is on the NBL having another 36 game season next year. Meaning this is the new norm and Perth better get used to it. There's no special NBL disadvantage Perth have faced this season any more than other team, just the fact their location is in the far west of the country.

Reply #851771 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And every team would've had as many training sessions as they wanted during the NBL Cup

Where's your evidence SEM and United were training more than the other teams, or that the other teams were restricted in their ability to access training courts?

Obviously they would've needed to find a gym for weights and perhaps their Melbourne set ups weren't as great as their usual ones- but the idea they couldn't train as much as they wanted, is there any basis whatsoever to that?

Reply #851772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Again, Perth was based in one location for 1 month."

Again, Melbourne was based in one location for 3 months.

Reply #851775 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Again, Melbourne was based in one location for 3 months.]

Feb 10 - Wollongong

Mar 19 - Sydney

April 4- Cairns

Are Wollongong, Sydney and Cairns all suburbs of Melbourne now are they?

News to me...

Reply #851776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#763 he played in 1 game for 11 mins. They planned without him. Totally the same

Reply #851779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you for pointing out my facetious remark was in fact incorrect. Now that we've established they United only left Melbourne TWICE in the period of mid-Feb to mid-May, it all but ends the argument that they received a massive advantage with the scheduling.

Not just that but I read somewhere they had to play 8 games in 25 days. Unbelievable!! How did they cope?

They truly are the heroes the NBL needed this season.

Reply #851781 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Totally the same]

Yeah, knowing your guy will be out since 2 months prior is totally the same as having no idea week to week

And yeah, Mike Karena is just as useful a replacement for SEM as Tom Jervis for Perth.

Reply #851782 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Now that we've established they United only left Melbourne TWICE in the period of mid-Feb to mid-May, it all but ends the argument that they received a massive advantage with the scheduling.]

By March 19, United had started their season in Adelaide, then played in Cairns the following week. Then played in Bendigo, then flown to Brisbane, then back to Bendigo, then Wollongong. Then the NBL Cup in Melbourne followed by a trip to Sydney

So United had flown to Adelaide, Cairns, Brisbane, Wollongong and Sydney all on separate trips.

By the same date- in fact a week later to March 27- Perth had made presicely 2 flights for the entire season. Started their season in Perth, flew to Victoria, then back to Perth for several games there.

I understand what you're saying, but the difference isn't as big as what you think, and the flying around part hasn't been as much worse than normal years as you're making out.

Reply #851784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So United had flown to Adelaide, Cairns, Brisbane, Wollongong and Sydney all on separate trips."

Over the span of a month. Wow!

Reply #851786 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Melbourne are Road Warriors.

Reply #851788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 games in 11 days with multiple cross country trips. Literally no time for integrating Magnay, just recovery and games.

I've done some lv style research and found that home games mean you are sleeping in your own bed and surrounded by your family. This therefore irrefutably trumps lvs neutral crowd argument (you need crowds for that measure) and means Melbouren and Sem had like 10 million more home games than everyone else.

United have had the rub of the green, get over it. They may have won it all anyway, but they have had it better it's a fact.

Reply #851789 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

We're sitting here having this debate, yet no one's mentioned that Melbourne hasn't actually played at home for over 3 weeks now, and since then they've played in Wollongong, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth and Adelaide.

United's schedule was basically

A lot of travelling in Jan and Feb.

Then a long home stretch with the occasional road game through mid-Feb to early May (March 19 in Sydney ANd April 4 in Cairns).

May 13 onwards- loads of travelling again.

From the perspective of increasing your chances of winning in the playoffs, I would've much rather they had the home stretch towards the end of the season.

But they've been good enough to win on the road anyway, and have been easily the best team in it (when healthy).

Reply #851791 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[ home games mean you are sleeping in your own bed and surrounded by your family.]

Richmond Tigers, Geelong Cats and Melbourne Storm fans might like to suggest this isn't much of an advantage in having a successful season.

Reply #851792 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And as I said above, United travelled interstate for 13 games

This is only 2 or 3 less than normal

They played 23 in Vic, 13 outside

Normally would be 20 and 16, or maybe 21 and 15.

Reply #851793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"yet no one's mentioned that Melbourne hasn't actually played at home for over 3 weeks now"

Why do you think that is?

Reply #851794 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

So LV seeing as you've done all of this amazing research can you just do a little more for us.

Apart from the last 3 weeks where your state shat the bed by not having a decent contact tracing procedure (all other states 'check in' everywhere), how many times did Utd play multiple away games in a row. So road games without a game IN VICTORIA in between.

I capitalised that because I know you'll say "we played Sydney then SEM and NZ all away" despite 2 of those 3 being in Victoria.

Reply #851815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up until the reason covid outbreak, they had played exactly two games in a row outside of Victoria on ONE occasion, right at the start of the season, and they had a ten day break between those games.

Reply #851816 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's true, except I will point out that whilst they've played 6 in a row outside Victoria due to COVID, 4 of those 6 were already scheduled as true away games, including 3 in a row.

The other two being the "home" game vs Cairns in Sydney and yesterday's "home" game in Adelaide vs Adelaide.

Reply #851819 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I look forward to seeing how LV turns that into the greatest disadvantage in NBL history.

Reply #851820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now let's look into the number of days between games on average, or the number of times they've played three games in one round compared to other teams. The results will astound you!

Reply #851821 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Hence why I asked for the stats pre victoria shitting the bed.

3 weeks is far to long to be away from home, I'd liken it to the 4 weeks everywhere team did. .apart from being less, you muppet.

Reply #851822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"4 of those 6 were already scheduled as true away games, including 3 in a row."

Something must have changed at some point at the end of April because the schedule I have says they were only playing two away games (ie outside Victoria) at a time, and both times with 5 days breaks in between.

#roadwarriors

Reply #851825 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How many teams got three-game rounds without traveling for at least one of the three games?

Reply #851826 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

L = ... long? lame? laborious? or just LV?
Ludicrous.

Reply #851827 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[3 weeks is far to long to be away from home, I'd liken it to the 4 weeks everywhere team did. .apart from being less, you muppet.]

If you can't tell the difference between

- Staying in one location and playing mostly neutral games (ie: What every team did in Fberuary/March)

And

- Travelling around the country playing genuine away games in front of opposition crowds (ie: What United have done in May/June)

Then you really should stop and take a deep breath before you hit "Post" next

Reply #851828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you can't tell the difference between

- Staying in one location and playing mostly home games (ie: What Melbourne did in February/March/April/May)

And

- Travelling around the country playing genuine away games in front of opposition crowds (ie: What every other team has done through the entire season)

Then you probably shouldn't have entered the thread whatsoever.

Reply #851829 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Amazing stuff, LV starts an "LV's Greatest Hits" thread throws a little bit of chum in the water sits back and watches the fish jump into the boat for him.

Every year, "the refs cost United the title this year" or now "the NBL is costing United the title by not making us leave Melbourne. Or something."

Reply #851832 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

By my quick calcs Perth played 13 genuine away games this season. Same as SEM.

One more than United who played 12.

United true home/ away/ neutral split was 18/12/6

Perth's 14/13/9.

The difference is travel. United played 13 games outside Victoria. Perth played 22 outside WA. But given 11 of those 22 games were played consecutively Perth wasn't flying.

So the real difference is Perth had to spend a month staying in hotels with their teammates instead of in their own homes.

I'm yet to be convinced this is much of a disadvantage in terms of having a successful season.

Reply #851834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone claimed that is a major disadvantage? Perth have done that every season since they moved to the Arena and for the most part they cope with it well.

We aren't talking about Perth's disadvantages, we're talking about Melbourne's advantages.

Reply #851835 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And 18/12/6 vs 14/13/9 means United had 4 games at home where Perth had 3 neutral and 1 away

Approx 2.6 wins vs 1.8

(66% home win *4, vs 50% neutral wins DJs 33%)

So just isolating purely home away splits , on that factor United had a 0.8 win fixture advantage over Perth

And finished 3 wins ahead.

With loads more injuries too.

Reply #851837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, would you have been silent if Perth hosted the Cup, then had 11 out of the next 13 games at home and set themselves up nicely in first place with a third of the season remaining? I think we all know the answer to that.

Reply #851838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just glad we got a season, to much bull shit on here. If both Melbourne sides get rolled first round due to no games at home, I'm certain no one on here are going ti feel sympathy or let them use it as an excuse.

Reply #851839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries are part of sport, get over it

Reply #851840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok

Reply #851844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of using your flawed measure of genuine home games. Why don't you count either flights or even better count games played on opponents rims. Then tell us the count. Because I'd much prefer to play on my home court irrespective of crowds than on any other

Reply #851865 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Crowds are the major differentiating factor that helps success.

Travel is overrated. So is "playing on your rims". (Not a dirty joke).

Early in the 20-21 NBA season when crowds weren't allowed anywhere, plenty of teams had better road records than home records.

If we're analysing the non basketball factors (eg other than talent, the game itself) if something other than crowds is the main factor contributing to teams winning games, explain that to me.

Reply #851867 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Are we sure LV isnt one of the prosecutors from the OJ case?

Reply #851881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754