Nicholas KAY
Jock LANDALE
Patty MILLS
Brock MOTUM
Duop REATH
Ben SIMMONS
Nathan SOBEY
Matisse THYBULLE

Dreaming, but if Goorj can pick from that full squad without injury/rest omissions, the Boomers will be interesting.

The names dropped since the last squad are Norton, Magnay, McDowell-White, Thon Maker and Deng Adel.

Topic #48728 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

This is a really good squad.

If healthy and available, the locks for me are:

Simmons, Ingles, Patty, Delly, Baynes, Landale.

I'm genuinely happy with any of the other 13 guys getting those final 6 spots, depending on how Goorj and the selection team decide to go.

Reply #854156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those four guys were easy omissions.

Reply #854160 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's interesting to see Dante Exum's name remain there, as he is still recovering from injury and hasnd't played organized basketball in a long time. For whatever reason the coaching staff must think he'll be ready to go by the Olympics. He's probably not the guy I'd place a bet on, though, as he'd probably get injured hopping on the plane.

The five omissions are not surprising. Norton might be a solid NBL player but he was never really up to the mark internationally. Thon Maker hasn't played in a long time and was always a fringe prospect at best. Magnay has done nothing since returning (much like Broekhoff, who still remains). Mc-Dowell-White isn't ready yet. And the less said about Deng Adel, the better.

But looking at the squad, the names on paper are very, very nice. This is our greatest ever squad on paper. But there are some questions around form and preparation for many of these players. I've already touched on Exum and Broekhoff, the latter who hasn't played his way into the squad based on thbis season. Humphries will be coming off of injury but I expect him to make the team (who else do we have inside?) And Aron Baynes hasn't been in great form in the NBA. There are definitely question marks inside.

My team as of right now:

Simmons, Mills, Ingles, Landale, Baynes, Delly, Goulding, Green, Motum, Thybulle, Humphries, Sobey

Reply #854162 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thybulle hopefully providing a good Defensive impact. named second team defence NBA

Reply #854163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think maker should have been tested in l.a.
Reath over him is a suprise.

Reply #854164 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Defensively the Boomers should be really good - Simmons, Ingles, Thybulle, Delly, Baynes. My concern is inside scoring and a Bogut-like shot changer. Our shooting should also be fine.

Reply #854165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You take the best shot blocker away, the tallest and most athletic in maker. Not sure a 6'8 Kay, 6’10 Motum or Landale, himphries will be getting alley oops from ben n Delly.

Reply #854166 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Not surprised that Adel, Magnay, McDowell White and Norton didn't make final 19.
McDowell White and Magnay are only 23 so could make future squads.
Good to see Maker miss out.

Surprised that Reath made final 19.
Wing positions are well stacked.
Will be interesting to see how our bigs go without Bogut.

Reply #854167 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Totally agree the obvious locks are Simmons, Ingles, Patty, Delly, Baynes, Landale.

Reply #854168 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The lack of athleticism in front court is my main concern with the group. That was a missing piece in WC. Still a quality group. If those 6 are available we're more than capable of competing with anyone on our day.

Reply #854169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No maker, must have pulled out.

Reply #854170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably helpin his cus get drafted.

Reply #854171 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Those key 6 all need to be there .
Any injuries or omissions make it a bit harder.

Reply #854172 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I like the squad, although I agree with previous comments about lack of form and injury being a concern. Based on everyone being fit and in best form, then I'd rate us a medal chance; based on their current form and health I think we’ll be back in the 5-12 group rather than a medal prospect.

For me, the only locks are Patty, Joe and Ben, and we’ll need major minutes from them - until each opponent starts to play Hack-a-Ben, at which point he’s a liability and will need to come off

Reply #854175 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Hawks doing their best to make sure Simmons and Thybulle are available too. C'mon Clippers!

Reply #854176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker missing out is very understandable, Reath making the squad is a joke, he never played in any deciding games in the aba finals or Serbian finals, most of the season under ten minutes a game, yes there was the odd good game when his side had won the game by quarter time. Motum on the other had has had a very good season in Turkey and now France. Exum had better prove his fitness and not get injured during tournament, if so it's a good choice.

Reply #854178 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Good point - I'll switch to cheering the Hawks just for that reason.

Reply #854179 | Report this post

Orange Army  
Years ago

What a squad. Lets hope we get a few games TV primetime in Aust before they go.

Reply #854181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will finish 4th-6th imo.

USA
Canada expect to q
France
Spain
Serbia expect to q
Lithuania expect to q

Reply #854184 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think the team is a realistic medal shot but that feeling fades away quickly if Simmons and Thybulle aren't available.

Reply #854185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ain't the WC with the big teams having rosters depleted of talent.
We will be lucky to get a medal.

Reply #854186 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think you'll find that covid will affect what talent does turn up for these Olympics. Jokic already out for Serbia.

Reply #854187 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Aussies probably played the best in the WC, unfortunate to not get a medal.

USA would be gold; but otherwise Australia leads a small group of genuine medal contenders IMO.

Even with most nations having a better Olympic squad to WCs, Aussies should too - substantially so if Simmons plays.

Reply #854188 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I can't see us medaling with that squad minus Simmons. In saying that, Greece went into the last championships thinking they were specials with Giannis and teams nullified that. Simmons has a similar skill set offensively so will be interesting if he plays

Reply #854190 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think anyone considered Greece to be strong in the WCs....

Reply #854191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA were crap at WC, depends on who turns up for all nations. It's going to be a strange Olympics, certainly with only home fans going to events and at present 80% Japanese population against it. The stadiums, arenas could be empty.

Reply #854193 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think medal chances are hard to gauge because you cant win games on paper. I remember the sheer apprehension I felt before games against Lithuania and France at the last world cup. On paper, we weren't necessarily favourites but we won both games. In 2016, we were meant to lose to France in the opening game but we handed them a 20 point L.

The key to the Boomers success has always been how they work as a team, and how they can become bigger than the sum of their parts. Since 2016 the squad has had great synergy and the leadership group still will. But will we get the same buy-in from Simmons, Thybulle, Green and the other newcomers?

We're also hit with a lack of preparation as well. We might not have much of our team until basically tip off, game 1 of the Olympics. We have to hit the ground running if this is going to work.

I don't have any real connection to the NBA so it's easy enough for me to say this, but as the Boomers are my number 1 team ideally I'd want Simmons, Thybulle and Ingles out of the playoffs ASAP to give this team the best chance at a medal. I am sure not too many people are with me on that but that's just where I stand.

For all the talent we have in the team, preparation, injury and form put queition marks on the Boomers chances. But having said that, preparation wasn't fantastic for the world cup either - we only had four warm up games. We lost a big piece in Jonah Bolden on the eve of the Cup. We were handed a couple of easy games early in Canada and Senegal and we might not have that luxury this time around. We have more talent but we potentially face more problems.

Reply #854198 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

These be my locks:

Patty Mills
Matthew Dellavedova
Ben Simmons
Matisse Thybulle
Joe Ingles
Nick Kay
Jock Landale
Aron Baynes
Isaac Humphries

IMO, need 1 more big, Cooks or Motum, and 2 shooters/scorers from Goulding, Sobey, Giddey (would be great back-up for Simmons at the PG), Broekhoff (if shooting the lights out at camp), or Exum (if healthy) as shooters/scorers.

Reply #854199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a squad. Lets hope we get a few games TV primetime in Aust before they go.

All the Boomers Vegas games are to be played mid-morning Australian time with two of the four on a weekend.

Reply #854209 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For some reason Boomers are Lithuania's bogey side.

Long may it continue

Reply #854210 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Atlanta has just taken a 3-2 advantage over the 76ers and are one win away from hopefully sending Ben into Boomers camp nice and early!

Reply #854214 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

My Boomers team

Baynes/Humphries
Motum/Landale/Kay
Ingles/Thybulle
Mills/Green
Simmons/Delly/Giddey

I dont mind the suggestion that i heard from Chris Anstey of Dante Exum, but needs to prove himself healthy and in form at the camp before I include him.

Reply #854218 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Motum's 3P shooting is crazy good at just on 50% in Turkey this season

Boomers should be loaded with plenty of good shooters

With Simmons, that'll create a nice balance.

Without Simmons, we'd be lacking athletes who can get to the hoop and relying heavily on crisp passing and ball movement, and probably over reliant on the 3 ball

Reply #854233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope we do not have to rely on Simmons at the stripe

Reply #854234 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Baynes/Humphries
Landale/Kay/Motum
Ingles/Thybulle/Sobey
Mills/Goulding
Simmons/Delly

Reply #854236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we had a more athletic, bigger team, I'd say Simmons at 1, given options I’d say

1Dellavedova
2Mills
3Ingles
4Simmons
5Baynes

1Exum
2Goulding
3Thybulle
4Motum or Kay or cooks (I think it’ll be cooks bte)
5Landale

3Green or creek (I think it’ll be green bte)
5Humphries

No chance
Sobey- loses out to goulding as proven shooter at major event.
Giddey- subpar defense shooting etc etc, needs 2-3 years developing.
Broekhoff -defense subpar, shooting slump
Reath- unknown, limited mins

Reply #854237 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Good team on paper, but:
- Quite a few injured / out of form players
- Giddey unlikely to be allowed to play by whatever team drafts him?
- Simmons likely to pull out to rest and hopefully work on FT shooting

Reply #854242 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think I might be in a minority, but I'm not sure Delly is a lock anymore?
He hasn't played a lot and his shooting has been poor.

In the past, we've overlooked his shooting because he was a steady hand who gave solid defence at the point. But if this team is being built around Simmons, then he and Ingles will do most of the ball-handling and I think we will need shooting more than defence in that role.

I'm not saying he shouldn't go, but I'd want to really see him compete and earn his spot on current play if I were Goorjian.

Reply #854245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot harder to get to the rack in fiba basketball, coaches will work out how to slow Simmons up. I for one hope will go and believe he will after early exit from nba finals, it will tell us how good he actually is.

Reply #854246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is just a playmaking PF in Fiba basketball. He would be good controlling the game in transition and would be posting up a lot. The Boomers don't need Simmons to score but provide open looks to the shooters like Mills, Ingles, Broehkoff, Goulding and etc.

The best thing for the boomers is 76ers get knocked in game 6. I think he will want to go to the Olympics and what he has got given his likelihood of being traded in the offseason.

Reply #854250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giannis couldn't get to the rack at the World’s

Reply #854258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giannis had no one around him and has a poor basketball IQ. The amount of junk shots he put up. Given his height and athleticism, he should had few easy baskets off the rim.

Reply #854271 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There are definitely players with question marks and I think that's why Exum has persisted in this squad. If we were talking about a healthy Dellavedova or Simmons being 100 percent committed, I am not sure Exum would be in the running still. I am guessing he's in reasonable shape and is doing something in his free time to garner some faith from selectors. But I think at point guard we're just trying to throw everything at the wall at the moment just to see what sticks.

But in reply to comments about Delly, I think he remains a lock. He's a culture guy. I don't think you mess with the core group. They've held us up well to the world for nearon a decade now. I'll put my faith in Delly representing us well at the Olympics regardless of his playing situation.

Humphries is another guy who is basically a lock for me, but who has been injured and out of basketball for a while. If we had any size off the bench he probably wouldn't be in the running still but we don't have a Bogut and he's the next best option.

Be interesting to see what happens. A lot will come down to the culture of the team and how quickly these guys can acclimatize themselves and get on the same page.

Reply #854275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The less nbl players the better. Which will mean no sobey, giddey, creek or cooks

Reply #854284 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Take out exum, reath, sobey, creek, giddey, cooks meaning...
Delly
Mills
Green
Goulding
Broekhoff
Thybulle
Ingles
Simmons
Motum
Kay
Landale
Humphries
Baynes

1 will miss out and I could see kay being that guy simply due to having simmons there will be a need for as much shooting as possible, or even in broekhoff's slump continues then it’s him. Although delly is a great culture guy, I could see goorj frothing at the mouth of the idea of exum instead considering he’s a bigger more athletic version of him but probably minus a little bit of the play making and getting guys involved ability.

Reply #854286 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'd prefer Creek over Broekhoff on current form, and remembering that Creek also played some NBA. It’s not like Broekhoff is going to magically come back to full fitness and form in the next few weeks.

My other question mark is Sobey versus Green - Sobey in great form and who carries his team, versus a likely star of the future who doesn’t get many minutes.

Reply #854314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks will be in as they need athleticism in the 4/3 spots. Landale has played all season in 5, can play 4 but better suited to the 4.

Reply #854321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek shot 41% 3
Broekhoff 40%

Same FIBA line, why is Ryan even in the squad?

Reply #854322 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I'd prefer Creek over Broekhoff on current form, and remembering that Creek also played some NBA."

My feeling is Creek doesn't really “fit” in the puzzle. He’d be a guy who gets time against crap sides and gets that job done, when it comes to the big matchups, someone like Broekhoff slides in and nails the big threes fed by the likes of Simmons, Mills etc.

At a most basic point - we need Simmons and Mills killing defensive structures opening Ingles and Broekhoff on opposite ends to be open to punish. Then we have work horses down low cleaning up the paint: Landale, Baynes, Kay

Reply #854327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff is a statue on defence, hence why he won't be chosen. Add to that his shooting slump.

Reply #854334 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Broekhoff's situation is a dilemma. He has been a stellar shooter everywhere throughout his career. He has a lot of Boomers A-team big tournament experience. When he's hot, he is the kind of player that can break games open. We perceive him as being in a slump, but he's still at 36.5% from 3. Can he regain his automatic from 3 ability? Sub-40% is not there. He has also been struggling defensively. If he can't prove himself, Goulding takes his spot on the team.

Simmons role is intriguing. I'm not convinced he will be the impact player that everyone is expecting. FIBA ball is not suited to him. Had he played in the WC, I was seeing Simmons more as a gun role player than one of our main contributors. I don't know if he would be all-in as a FIBA 4 with some ball handling responsibilities, but IMO that's his better fit in FIBA. He needs to be surrounded by shooters whenever he is on the floor. We shouldn't force him to have an impact like Giannis for Greece last WC.

Having said that, our PG position otherwise has a lot of question marks. Who else do we have at point? Who else can penetrate? Delly has slowed down and struggled with shooting. Exum has hardly played. We shouldn't expect Giddey to be there yet. Mills need to play the 2. Don't even think about Sobey.

Delly needs to be there as a culture player. Even if he hardly gets any minutes. We also need depth in the backcourt. Given the way our backcourt struggled late in the World Cup tournament from their minutes load, we need more options in the backcourt. Historically Goorjian tends to go with 3 solid PG options. I just don't know if he would count Simmons as one of those 3.

Reply #854409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those nbl players suck, tell them to go home. Can never win a medal with them. Even rusty players like Exum, Maker, Green are much better than these guys

Reply #854436 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Those nbl players suck, tell them to go home. Can never win a medal with them. "

Arguing for an 11-man team, then? Or are you allowing ex-NBA NBL players?

Reply #854639 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Reckon we're going to need Giddey in the squad. I'll be flabbergasted if Simmons plays.

Reply #854646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rjd, it depends, some ex-nba nbl players are fine. E.g. Humphries, landale are good. Creek and cooks no.

The only good nbl player is Giddey.

Reply #854679 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Landale has never played NBA. Time to give up on this nonsense argument.

Reply #854683 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Agreed

Reply #854684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll no,to Giddey, what’s he going to bring?

He can’t shoot or defend, he can only distribute atm.

Reply #854685 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think Landale will ever actually go to the NBA. I think he'll be a guy people talk about as "NBA level" who falls through the cracks and plays literally everywhere else. I don't wish that on the guy but I nust dont think he's quite as good as he thinks he is.

Reply #854686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Landale NBA talk isn't ridiculous as some want to make it out. It stems from:
He’s outright said that he had some offers (3 I believe) but due to the bubble and it’s hesitancy of taking international players who aren’t already signed that it ended up being a no go
He’s also said he’ll only take a full roster contract (meaning he won’t take a 2 way), which throw in the fact he said he’s had offers he realistically could’ve or will play in nba games like magnay did by being a 2 way guy and then waiting on the right opportunity
He also tore up summer league and thus had lots of nba eyes on him so that in itself is a realistic thought of a team having a look at him
He’s still young so he’s got time to improve
He was a starter in the world champs for us till the last game which that intself shows he’s not just a random young dude on a roster the guy can produce

I will say however he won’t be a four in the nba due to his defence and lack of athleticism so he’ll be a five like he was in summer league and nbl

Reply #854692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some times it's a bit luck or who you know that gets you a gig, he’s a chance though I think he’s more of a euro type player.

Reply #854700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Cadee?

Reply #854733 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

And there we have it, the 76ers are out of the playoffs. Ben has no real excuse not to make the Boomers camp other than "nah, don't actually really want to". His availability is now basically confirmed, the question now is what is the rhetoric moving forward? Any question or slowness to reply on the matter will constitute basically a "no". I'm hopeful we do see the commitment from Ben but I am highly sceptical that we will.

Reply #855233 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

100% Ben bails on the Olympics.

Reply #855235 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Will bail on the Olympics.
Will get traded.

Reply #855237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether Ben does or doesn't bail on the Olympics, Olgun will be there to reassure us all it was the right decision.

Reply #855239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #855240 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Simmons bails, there's no point in considering him a Boomer

Reply #855241 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"If Simmons bails, there's no point in considering him a Boomer"

Can we consider him a Boomer if he still hasn't played for us? If he does in fact bail, does that rule out Thybulle as well? Probably not, cos they won't be teammates any more...

Reply #855243 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If Simmons bails, he can go play for Team USA from now on for all I care. It's 50/50 at the moment I think, but what I do know is he doesnt have a real excuse not to

Reply #855244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Dellavedova
O-Goulding/D-Thybulle
Exum or Green or Creek, 1 of (tough call.)
Motum
Humphries

Cooks or Kay, 1 of

Cuts for sure
Giddey
Sobey
Broekhoff
Reath

Reply #855249 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Telling you right now, after this debacle, the last thing he's going to do is play in the Olympics, is basically going to be traded and needs to work on his game...but won't, instead will be by the pool soaking in his own ego looking for his next 'gram post.

Reply #855251 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I honestly think the best thing for him to do is play in the Olympics. Get into that laid back Aussie environment to take some pressure off, let guys like Mills and Ingles carry the team and play your part. Could do wonders.

Reply #855252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Simmons is terrified knowing that some forum posters no longer consider him apart of their hypothetical boomers teams.

However after that performance I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t play in the olympics considering what the philly fans are about to do to him and the media lol

Reply #855255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/-EHA4UhYuQY

Reply #855256 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Apparently there is a drop in camp on the 25th of June for Boomers so we should hagve some read on where Ben is at by then

Reply #855257 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Landale has what it takes to play NBA, but whether he does will come down to right place and right time. Plenty of guys have what it takes, but for various reasons never make it.

The European teams consistently show us you don't need NBA experience to play quality bball at international tournaments. Whether Landale does or doesn't play NBA I expect him to be an important piece for the Boomers over the next 7 or 8 years or more.

Reply #855266 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Simmons will get traded and won't be allowed to play in the Olympics (or at least that will be the reason given).

He’s great for getting a team to finals but then becomes a problem for his coach. Given that Philly did so much to get the ring and failed ... again.

Rivers will be determined to get that ring, Ben doesn’t have Brown to protect him anymore, so Ben is definitely attractive trade fodder.

He has a rare talent, but until he becomes a reliable outside shooter then he’ll just remain a talented player who will need the right players around him (and the pressure off him) to ever get a ring and be considered 'great’. Regardless, he’s always got the Kardashian media circus to fall back on.

Reply #855272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could his performances in finals be due ti injuries, it would certainly cover all bases looking for an out and his crap play of late.

Reply #855306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Simmons was never going to suit up for the Boomers because the FIBA game will further expose his lack of an outside shot.

Reply #855314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld what nonsense. 3pt line is shorter. Big men have more impact, meaning supply to them is more important. Zone rules mean teams need an inside-outside game. Yes Simmons won't be the shooter to finish many offensive sets but as a tall pass first player he can certainly contribute significantly.

Reply #855324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth world, as a 4 man then.

Reply #855326 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I just honestly think he's not interested in playing for his country...nothing more, nothing less.

Reply #855327 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

In fairness he didnt look that interested in playing for Philly either

Reply #855328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ looking for players.

Reply #855333 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

We're jumping to some conclusions about his interest in playing for the Boomers. He's 'flirted' with the idea a bit. He said before the world cup that he was definitely in, then the weirdness happened when suddenly he needed to "work on his game" which came to hitting maybe 1 or 2 extra three pointers a season more than he otherwise would. That was a contract year.

His 2016 snub of the Boomers was due to being drafted. I think we can say "fair enough" on that front.

But the one consistent to Simmons pulling out has been Andrej Lemanis. It is no secret that the two didn't see eye-to-eye. There was the same issue with Bolden as well. If you read between the lines of everything that came out in the news when Lemanis "quit" you'll find that issues with the younger players was front and center.

So will Goorjian be enough for Simmons to play? I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that he simply doesn't care about playing for Australia until we see the trend continue with a new coach. If he pulls out now, I'd say playing for the Boomers just isn't a priority to him. But I don't think we can make that call yet just based on him not wanting to play for Lemanis - a coach that a lot of young NBA talent simply haven't warmed to.

Reply #855335 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Won't Goorjian be even more structured than Andre? I think that would appeal even less to Simmons

Reply #855337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have zero doubt that his shenanigans prior to the WC and USA exhibition games were just a ploy to sell more tickets to the games hosted here.

Reply #855338 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth world, as a 4 man then.

I guess that could work. Others have nailed it though - it's more to do with what's going on between his ears than anything else.

Reply #855340 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Goorjian and Ben actually have a relationship that has spanned since Ben's junior days. I think it's more an issue of personalities than play styles.

But yeah, I'd be surprised if Ben does end up playing for us. He's just come out of an absolutely terrible series and he's never shown dedication to the program before. I'm torn between my heart that wants him to play and my brain telling me he's been given more than enough excuse not to

Reply #855343 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Simmons will probably pull out again. After these playoffs probably the last place he wants to be is back on a basketball court later this week at Boomers camp.

We've seen this all before with our best player re: Boomers, Longley went 8 years without playing for the Boomers (1992-2000), Bogut also went 8 years without playing for the Boomers (2008-2016) and Simmons streak since he last played for the Boomers is 8 years and counting (2013). To be fair to Simmons he did put his hand up for the 2014 WC but didn't make the team.

Reply #855344 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

To be fair national teams should take their best teams.

Shouldn't be taking guys just because they feel entitled to be there

Reply #855346 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'After these playoffs probably the last place he wants to be is back on a basketball court later this week at Boomers camp'

If you're a professional with any dedication to the game then it should be the first place he wants to be.

Reply #855359 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

So he won't be there then.

I feel bad piling on, but are we giving Simmons benefit of doubt on attitude? I feel like it has been a primary factor letting him down

Reply #855361 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Only one way to prove us and the rest of the doubters wrong.

Did see on Twitter today Thybulle saying he was excited for the Boomer's, so that's something.

Reply #855381 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"
Senator11
Within the hour

Only one way to prove us and the rest of the doubters wrong.

Did see on Twitter today Thybulle saying he was excited for the Boomer's, so that's something.

"

Where on Twitter? He hasnt updated his in months.

Reply #855383 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Damn, maybe it was someone retweeting an old post. :/. Can't find it now...

Reply #855390 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

My Simmons less team.
Btw anyone think Thybulle will play?

Dellavedova, Sobey or Exum. (Should be Sobey)
Mills, Goulding, Green
Ingles, Thybulle, Creek
Landale, Motum, Kay
Baynes, Humphries

That's 14 so 2 players will be chopped.
Broekhoff, Reath and Cooks miss out imo.

Simmons.. No comment required.
Giddey should focus on the draft , I think he will be ready 2023 onwards.

I think we will see a bit of point forward from Ingles.

Reply #855473 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Our medal chances depend on who turns up for everyone else as well. If we get a similar talent pool to those we played against at the World Cup we're probably a real medal chance. If everyone's big dogs come out, it gets a whole lot harder to see.

At the cup we had three spots filled with dead wood and as long as we dont have that we're instantly better than last time, provided our players can find some rhythm and form. An article recently said that the Boomers are getting together earlier than other national teams which hopefully helps.

With Simmons out, Exum becomes a necessity. You'd hope to see Thybulle still put his hand up. And Green has already indicated he will play. The instant replacements for the deadwood of Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow all right there.

Dellavedova, Exum
Mills, Goulding, Green
Ingles, Thybulle, Cooks (possibly Creek but I prefer Cooks length)
Landale, Motum
Baynes, Humphries

Reply #855499 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Agree to disagree on Sobey being dead wood.
Best Australian guard in NBL almost MVP.
Gliddon and Barlow yes they are done.

Reply #855502 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries and Ryan Broekhoff have both pulled out of camp. Humphries still rehabbing. Duop Reath and Chris Goulding have just booked their Tokyo tickets I am pretty sure.

People bash Reath but he is, afterall a Euroleague center playing 13 minutes a game in the second best team in the world. He could probably play the same role at the Olympics admirably.

As it stands we still have no set in stone confirmation either way from Simmons and the longer that goes, the mroe I think wheels are turning to try and get him on the team.

I dont want to get too set one way or another on the fortunes of the team until we see who ends up picked when the dust settles and see how they play in warm ups.

Reply #856039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova, Exum
Mills, Goulding, possibly Green
Ingles, Thybulle, possibly Creek
Landale, 1 or 2 of Motum or Kay or Cooks
Baynes, Reath

Reply #856041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath second best team in the world, lmao, they are ranked 13th in Europe. In all games against major opposition he never saw the court. In the aba and the Serbian league he averaged less than 10 minutes a game, in euro league he did get 13 minutes a game average but it's not a good indication as he played bigger minutes when games were done. He might be a player one day but at present it’ll be a joke if he walks into the Australian team on what he’s done in Europe.

Reply #856042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's better than all the centers we have currently bar Baynes, Humphries.
Gets his shot and will suprise.

Reply #856043 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Do we know why Broekhoff withdrew?

Reply #856044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said coach already gave him the flick.
Another said too along away from family 10 weeks essentially.

Reply #856045 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

These days the strength of non-American players/nations is significantly better than the past, it's a real shame we don’t see international basketball treated like soccer does for Euro Championship or World Cup where the best play even though they’re making hundreds of millions regardless.

Reply #856047 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I meant second best league in the world. I dont think anyone thinks they're the second best team. We dont have any other back up options unless we use Landale as back up center for most minutes and move Motum or something to starting power forward. Either way, Reath has probably just stamped his ticket, even if he's a scrub at Euroleague level, for lack of other options.

Reply #856049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's no scrub, Perth were pursuing him very heavily.

Reply #856052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's shown very little, some players just get lucky, right place right time. I follow the euro guys closely, I could be surprised if he gets a shot, it certainly hasn’t happened in Europe.

Reply #856073 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

If Reath doesn't make the cut then they could go with

Landale, Kay, Cooks
Baynes and Motum.

Landale can play both big spots.
Motum would see more minutes in the 4 than the 5.

Reply #856078 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I suspect Reath will make the cut even if purely off of size and athleticism

Reply #856080 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754