Anonymous
Years ago

Jock on Ben Simmons' Boomers withdrawal

Jock spoke on SEN radio about Simmons' withdrawal:

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1410074361072173057

Seemed to have a bit of an each-way bet, saying in the same breath that he couldn't understand someone of the mindset of not wanting to represent their country but then saying he understood why Ben might not want to play.

Topic #48811 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It doesn't do one any favours to bag out another player when he is an established star in the NBA and you are trying to get in.

Reply #857210 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

There's about 25 established NBA players who will be in the Olympics - 10-15 of which are not as good as Ben Simmons. If they genuinely thought that skipping the Olympics and doing personal training was going to make them better basketball players then why don't the likes of Wiggins, Bogdanovic and Sabonis pull the pin?

Reply #857213 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I dont think it helps the Boomers to keep talking about it. Ben's gone. Talk about the team you actually have not the one you could've.

Reply #857214 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yep don't waste anymore time on him.

Reply #857215 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

More than that Curtley

Reply #857239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12-USA alone
I'd say we looking at 40+ nba players

Reply #857241 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ppl forgetting Canada is reasonably stacked and they're missing a lot of players in SGA, Olynyck, Brooks, Murray...

Reply #857323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada is stacked however struggle as they can't play as a team.

Reply #857402 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Canada is stacked and look tough but they have the misfortune of being grouped with Team USA, meaning their only avenue of progressing to the top four is to be the best performing second placed team of the tournament.

Now, that is going to made harder again if you've maybe taken a 20+ point L to team USA, yet the second placed team of other groups lost the game they lost by 2 or 3 points, or maybe took a bigger win.

For that reason, Canada and France probably drew the shortest straw when it comes to tournament dynamics and any realistic medal shot. It's going to be tough for them in that group.

If Australia comes second in their group they probably have a 50/50 chance of progressing against whoever comes second in the group of Spain, Argentina and most likely Lithuania.

If anything, Australia finds themselves in the best possible group for advancement.

Reply #857406 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good analysis there on the pool dynamics.

So for once we didn't draw the short straw which is nice for a change.

Reply #857472 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think it's worth mentioning here that the Philippines took Serbia to the wire, only to go down by 6 points 77-83. It was a very close and tense game in the last few minutes. It brings to question just how good Serbia will be at the Olympics. These are important qualifying games, not warm ups. And they were brought to the wire by a team our NBL Boomers smash by 25 points. Bogdanovich obviously may be available when the actual games start but this kind of performance definitely brings Serbia back down to the pack a bit.

Reply #857482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia had 3 guys resting. They are also not at full,strength.
But phillipines are getting better all the time. Credit to Baldwin.

Reply #857484 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ok I didn't realize that.

Reply #857488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia looked tired for sure, no Micic or Kalinic really hurt the,.
Gilas looked inspired. Great future when you consider most of them are u23y.o

Reply #857490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phillipino size gettin much bigger too.
Asia cup with best available could see them medal winners

S5
Ramos 6'4 22
Clarkson 6’5 maybe can play with kouame(naturalised)
Tamayo 6’7 20
Sotto 7’2 19
Kouame 6’11 23

Add in future pro level guys like

6’6 Lopez 18
6’11 edu 20

Bright future, not just in Asia.

Reply #857494 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Philippines are only in the qualifiers after replacing New Zealand who pulled out due to COVID.

Reply #857495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yet they are competitive with a brand new team of teenagers and young guys....

Reply #857496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How's Kai Sotto looked?

Reply #857497 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why are the Philippines using college players - don't they want to qualify for the Olympics? Strange choice from a minnow handed a second chance.

Reply #857499 | Report this post

Dugless  
Years ago

But the olympics have quarter finals do they not?

So it is the two best placed third placed teams that make it, hence it is likely that france and canada will make it to the quarters, especially with iran as an easy beat

Reply #857511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Some footage of Sotto up against Boban:

Reply #857537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, the older players were kept on far too long, hence the coaching change. Baldwin got all the youth together and they are playing quite well for a team so young. Maybe if you watch the oq game you would understand. They also beat Korea twice in the Asia cup qualifiers.

Reply #857547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phillipines focus is Asia cup, 2023 home wc, they no they can't compete now as the coach stated.

Reply #857548 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'll be watching qualifies soon. It’s on Fox Sports More.

Reply #857552 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#547 and #548 thanks. No, I haven't been watching (yet) so that's why I asked.

The Tab Baldwin hiring is a solid appointment and it makes sense to try something new before hosting a major tournament.

Reply #857553 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Gee Spain, Argentina, Lithuania sound like a bye for the Boomers in the quarters. Give us medals now

It seems we rate no-one but ourselves and yet we've NEVER won an international game that counts for silverware

With the arrogance and lack of respect we carry for anyone but the Americans, no wonder we (will) remain medalless.

I hope for once I’m wrong.

Reply #857575 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"But the olympics have quarter finals do they not?

So it is the two best placed third placed teams that make it, hence it is likely that france and canada will make it to the quarters, especially with iran as an easy beats"

No, this year there is no quarter finals just semis.

"Gee Spain, Argentina, Lithuania sound like a bye for the Boomers in the quarters. Give us medals now
"

You clearly didn't read what I said. THERE ARE NO QUARTER FINALS!

Let me outline it for you, lest you make another incredibly arrogant comment:

There are three groups. Each group is comprised of four teams. The top team of each group automatically qualifies for the SEMI FINALS along with the best performing second placed team of the cup/.

So no, no one is assuming those guys are a bye for us in the quarters. There is no quarters! If we beat Serbia, (likely Brazil or Croatia) and Nigeria, we walk into the top four. That's the way it is.

Reply #857607 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Nostraballmus. We get your schtick man. "Oh, we didnt get a foreign coach therefore we wont medal and I can make asinine comments about it non-stop."

It's getting old man. It's even getting the point where you're jumping to assumptions about what other people are saying before even trying to digest what you're reading.

I mean, on what planet would anyone consider Spain, Lithuania, Argentina a "bye" for the Boomers? Clearly I was getting at something else. Clearly when I mentioned the format you should have read it for what it was rather than making a stupid half baked reply.

Shall I repeat? The best four teams of the tournament go straight to the semi finals. If Australia wins the group with likely Serbia, Brazil and Nigeria, or is the best performing second team, that is where they go.

Teams in USA's group will find it much harder to do so because they're more likely to cop large scale beltings to that team. So that goes beyond USA being "the only team anyone respects"

But please, continue on with your negativity and garbage, and replying to comments not as they are, but as you misconstrue them.

Reply #857614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever decided on 12 teams for both men n women instead of 16 is an absolute moron.
Next years women WC also has only 12 teams.

The olympics should have 16 each minimum, maybe even 24 by 2028 olympics.
The WC men has 32 and that is the right amount.
The women's WC has 12 but should have 16 for now.

Reply #857616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me, they have 1/4 finals...

Best 2 in each group go to qtrs. (6 teams)
Best 2 3rd place finishers out of 3 groups go to qtrs. (2 teams)

8 teams in 1/4s
4 teams in semis
2 teams in final
Like always…

Reply #857618 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, turns out you're right. I had someone who should know inform me otherwise. Either way... no one was assuming that those games would be a "bye" for the Boomers.

Reply #857622 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Cheers ME. My sincere apologies. It seems I have offended.

I do hope you are right and we win a medal.

Reply #857625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The olympics should have 16 each minimum, maybe even 24 by 2028 olympics.
The WC men has 32 and that is the right amount.
The women's WC has 12 but should have 16 for now.

No! Stop telling people they are good enough when they aren't. Why have more teams when legitimately there are only a handful that can win it. This is the problem with the Gen Y, everyone gets a fkn medal.

Reply #857630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754