John Doe
Years ago

Breakers sign first import

Hugo Besson, a 20-year-old guard out of France, has signed a three-year import deal with the New Zealand Breakers, sources told ESPN.

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1413252973816434690

Topic #48898 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Peyton Siva as well

Reply #859218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three years is huge for an import.

Reply #859219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SoMaybe?

New Zealand Breakers - D.Shamir

6'0 P.Siva(i)/6’5 W.Mcdowell-White/6’3 H.Besson(i)
6’6 L.Randolph(i)/6’2 C.Webster/6’4 R.Bach
6’6 T.Abercrombie/6’9 O.Dieng(ns)/6’7 I.Davidson(dp)
6’7 F.Delany/6’8 K.Galloway
6’10 Y.Wetzell/6’11 R.Loe/6’11 S.Timmins(dp)

3 imports
1 ns
8 locals
2 dps

11 contracted players

Reply #859221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So odd. We rarely see Euro imports in NBL, let alone 20 year old on 3 year deal

What's the standard like in the French 2nd division?

Reply #859223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was the second best prospect in Europe but couldn't play because of injury.
He was on mock drafts before injured.

Reply #859226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://id-prospects.com/rankings/2001/

Reply #859227 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Siva with significant Euroleague history

Assuming this means Tai Webster not returning? NZ shaping up well though. Gonna be helluva season

Reply #859258 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

ESPN are saying NZ is close to signing a new contract with Tai Webster and have also signed Peyton Silva who has Samoan heritage.
They're also saying Delly is signing with Melbourne United to replace McCarron

Reply #859264 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea NZ looking very guard heavy, but very talented

Looking something like

Wetzell/Loe
Delaney/Galloway
Randolph/Abercrombie
T Webster/C Webster/Besson
Silva/McDowell-White

If they go with that I assume Abercrombie plays some back up PF too

Or are they not keeping Randolph and getting a import PF/C to likely come off the bench similar to what they had with Ashley?

Looks like a fun team either way

Reply #859272 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Peyton Siva played his Freshman year with former Breakers Import Edgar Sosa and also played with former Breakers Import Paul Carter in Germany.

It will be interesting to see if these rumored signings are true especially if NZ are able to retain Tai Webster.
No news on Levi Randolph returning either despite the Breakers having a club option on his contract.

Reply #859273 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's a heck of a back court if they bring Tai Webster back.

There's only one ball though. Finding the balance would be interesting.

Reply #859278 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I guess Tai would slide up to SG and even SF at times with a playmaking import and WMW covering PG.

Reply #859294 | Report this post

Timeline  
Years ago

Breakers loaded like usual but not going anywhere

Reply #859297 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers were the best team in the comp in the latter part of the season before last after injuries decimated them and only just missed out on the playoffs.
Last season they got kicked in the teeth by Covid and had the toughest season in the comp by a country mile.

If they can play regular home games next season I am optimistic especially with how the roster is shaping up.

Reply #859302 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Breakers were the best team in the comp in the latter part of the season before last after injuries decimated them and only just missed out on the playoffs.

Let's split that season in thirds and call it the last 9 games.

NZB were 6-3.
SYD were 7-2.

NZ were not 'the best team in the comp in the latter part of the season'.

They could have been had someone not put Jordan Ngatai in the game in the last moments in Perth.

Last season they got kicked in the teeth by Covid and had the toughest season in the comp by a country mile.

Yet when they were compensated with remaining 7 home stretch they rewarded fans with a 3-4 showing.

Reply #859316 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #859322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes a 7 game home stretch at venues around the country that many players had never played in. Compelling argument there.

As for your comparison with Sydney, I'd be curious to know who Sydney played and who the Breakers matched up against in that stretch.

Reply #859328 | Report this post

EssenX  
Years ago

Does Siva count as a local? Or has the Tai Wesley rule gone?

Reply #859346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And does this mean we'll see Dieng at the 4?

Reply #859351 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Siva would be an Import I believe as he only has Samoan heritage and grew up in America.

Reply #859365 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Delaney, Galloway and possibly even Wetzell at times will cover the 4 spot

Reply #859367 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'm confused by this signing?

Why another young rookie player who is French?
I never understand the Breakers game plan since Dan started coaching them.

Reply #859374 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Yanni can't play the four - zero shot and Shamir likes his fours to have range. They’ll play Loe at the four at times I’d say which is always a nullifier defensively. He’s horrendous at moving his feet but a solid straight up shot blocker at times. Simply has zero lift and very little athleticism.

They’re not going anywhere with Tai as the primary ball handler. Hopefully it’s Silva & White exclusively with ball handling duties.

Reply #859380 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This has disaster written all over it, this club needs to have the best culture in the NBL bar none because we all know that Abercrombie will get his minutes from Shamir and adding Tai with Corey and Besson and WMW will be tough for whomever is on the bench as that is serious depth and unless they play up tempo full court type defence where they tire themselves out then there will be sulky basketballers on the bench...

So Shawn Marion has owned this club for several years but has he had any impact from a recruiting standpoint?

Reply #859401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he played in French ProB last season... big jump to NBL for a Frenchman

Reply #859404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he will be Next Star, not import per https://new.in-24.com/sport/basketball/61154.html

Reply #859405 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

No he won't be Next Star. They sign already Next Star Ousmane Dieng. You can’t have 2 next stars?

Reply #859406 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I suspect Tai Webster's taken the marquee money that an import would otherwise have, and Besson is on a lower import salary and taking advantage of the NBL exposure to the NBA (particularly given the level he was playing in France).

I haven't seen any content about the relationship between Ousmane Dieng and Hugh Besson, but having a fellow countryman at a similar age in a foreign country is surely going to be beneficial.

This roster confuses me. A backcourt rotation where Siva, WMW and both Webster brothers have all committed to playing time, with two young French prospects needing to develop? Plus how many reliable outside shooters are in the backcourt? I anticipate Delany is gone, and we'll need a gunner at the 4 spot to fill his role.

How I would see the minutes:

Wetzell (25) / Loe (15) / Timmins (DP)
Import* (30) / Loe (5) / Galloway (5)
Abercrombie (23) / Dieng^ (17) / Bach (Spot) / Davidson (DP)
T.Webster (25) / C.Webster (15) Besson* (Spot)
Siva (30) / WMW (10)

Reply #859410 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Which is exactly my point why would Corey and WMW want so little court time?

Corey has a history of leaving for more opportunities so I'm expecting him to leave again but maybe they are stacking the back court so much due to his ability in cutting an avocado?

Reply #859414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These moves make sense if Tai Webster isn't back. But if they’re intending on bringing him back, I don’t know how it will work.

It would be good to see them go for an import 4/5 that can play above the rim. WMW is a willing passer and Siva can create too.

Reply #859415 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

To be fair, it seems like you can find 6'6' 4-men as easily as you can find <6'0' point guards from the States to fill these stereotypical roles.

I'd have far more confidence in this team if Zico Coronel was the coach (or heck, Mody Moar would at least be entertaining). Hard to tell how much confidence Abercrombie, Delany and Loe truly have in Dan Shamir's antics.

Reply #859417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Siva, 30 minutes lmao, he's coming from div two France, WMW will eat him. France has a very good top league that pays very well, it’s like comparing nbl and nbl1, the difference is significant, if he was a top caliber he’s heading up to there div one,not NZ.

Reply #859420 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Siva isn't from Div2 in France, he won a National Title with Louisville and has played pro throughout Europe for a few years after a few short NBA contracts.

Reply #859426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Siva, 30 minutes lmao, he's coming from div two France, WMW will eat him."

Siva started for Louisville for 3 seasons, won an NCAA title, was drafted, played for 5 years for Alba Berlin and has averaged 10 and 5 in the Euroleague the past 2 seasons. I like WMW, but I don't think he even got any burn in the German top league let alone Euroleague.

Reply #859431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep you are right, Besson was who I should have written.

Siva is an absolute gun, Cotton not going to dominate this guy.

Where does WMW play ?.

Reply #859436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reported here that Breakers bought Besson out for 60k Euros...

They must be confident he will get drafted at some stage. How much do they pick up if he makes the first round while under contract? He looks like Corey Webster or Goulding with hops albeit probably against lesser defenders.

Reply #859437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Siva will be on big coin, Alba have big money, are a euro league team and German champions. This signing will Cotton type money, maybe more.

Reply #859447 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Alba's director has publicly thanked Siva for his time at the club so his departure from Germany is official now. Hopefully we’re just waiting for the NBL to sign it off before it’s announced.

Fingers crossed Delaney hangs around for another season and doesn’t head to Europe. I guess that will dictate if Levi Randolph returns or is replaced with an Import 4.

Reply #859451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alba played over 70 games in ten months last season, maybe he's looking for easier season. It’s a massive signing.

Reply #859467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liam Santa has said the Besson signing is as a Next Star.

Reply #859470 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

On the Free Agency Update he did say 2x next stars but I didn't think teams could have more than 1 next star

Reply #859481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"On the Free Agency Update he did say 2x next stars but I didn't think teams could have more than 1 next star"

People keep quoting this rule but I don't remember this ever being a rule.

Reply #859488 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't recall an NBL side ever signing an import who was the starting PG for a regular Final Four and NCAA Championship team. On top of that a player who is still in his prime with a solid pro career so far with a EuroLeague team. After a COVID-affected season of less imports and spending the league has resumed its upward trajectory - a new bar has been set.

Most people on here don't follow NCAA so this isn't being made out to be as big a deal as it really should be. Huge moment for the NBL, well done Breakers.

Reply #859499 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The above is re: Peyton Siva obviously.

Reply #859500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, as I said previously PW, this guys got pedigree, massive signing. What to for WMW, he's got talent.

Reply #859505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Beeson and Dieng have the same agent?

Siva is a gun. But he's team first and a winner. It’s just what the Breakers needed to rebuild their lockerroom culture. It will be great for the Breakers and NBL if he sticks around for multiple seasons.

Reply #859543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754