Asthanin
Years ago

Subscription Model Shenanigans

In order that I not miss a single minute of my beloved Boomers' Olympic campaign, last week I pulled the trigger on a subscription to a well-known streaming service, who shall remain nameless (but whose name rhymes with a certain county in Ireland as well as with a popular condiment).

Thankfully, I did watch the games on the day they were played but I had planned on re-watching the matches this afternoon. Sadly, I found that they were no longer available, deleted less than a week from when they first aired.

It makes me nostalgic for the VHS days, where one could have a permanent copy of any Boomers match for the low, low price of taping over last week's episode of "The Golden Girls".

Not happy, Jan!

Topic #48959 | Report this topic

RS  
Years ago

Ah, so it's not just me then. I thought I was going crazy for a good 10minutes trying various categories and search terms on the app to find the USA v AUS replay.

Reply #861222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this kayo?

Reply #861223 | Report this post

RS  
Years ago

Yeah

Reply #861225 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Olympics is on 7+ for free

Reply #861228 | Report this post

Asthanin  
Years ago

@KET yeah I had heard re: 7+. I subscribed anyway because wanted to watch the exhibition matches as well as have another option up my sleeve in case 7+ decide to persistently cross over to the equestrian/synchronised swimming/hammer throw etc.

Reply #861230 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There will be 45 channels across terrestrial, digital and online via 7 and 7+ so there is no danger of that happening.

Reply #861235 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Does Kayo/Fox even have any Olympic rights?

Reply #861237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You tell us KR.

Reply #861244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kayo/Fox might not even have the rights to show highlights on news segments

Reply #861246 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nope - olympics is solely on 7 and 7+ for online

With all the streaming (45 channels)

Reply #861254 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I figured as much, so subscribing to Kayo to have another option up your sleeve makes absolutely no sense.

Reply #861280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like kayo for the AFL. Once the season is over, so is my subscription. Nba I use a VPN and get league pass. It's glorious.

Reply #861353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one was suggesting using Kayo for the Olympics. Kayo was the platform that had the Boomers warm up games on. That's all. Jeez KR you are an idiot.

Reply #861355 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I subscribed anyway because wanted to...have another option up my sleeve in case 7+ decide to persistently cross over to the equestrian/synchronised swimming/hammer throw etc.

Reply #861363 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bet everyone's keen to hear Bogut commentate. Sure he will have some real gems.

Where’s the IOC HQ again?

Reply #861366 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bogut is going to put the special in special comments.

Reply #861369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, why constantly bring up that comment? It was clear he was critical of FIBA being Euro centric, rather than being located in Spain.

Hang a few minutes around some European FIBA officials and you can see why Bogut said that. It's clear they have a mentality where they believe the game revolves around Europe, rather than a specific European country.

So many other things to criticize Bogut about and you pick that.

Reply #861417 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" why constantly bring up that comment?"

Given it's literally the first time I’ve ever mentioned it, I can’t answer that for you except to suggest you’re living in a fantasy world.

“ So many other things to criticize Bogut about and you pick that”

It’s called a joke - a lot of valid things to criticise Bogut about aren’t funny, this one is.

Are your knickers untied yet?

Reply #861426 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

In theory everything on the 7+ app for free seems a win. So much that can go wrong though. Optus Sport struggled with the demand of the world cup a couple of years ago. I doubt 7+ has ever had many people using at once so there's a fair chance they havent had to test their capacity at all.

The other thing is the commercial stations streaming apps usually have awful add integration and you can end up having them jammed in a random times or leaving you buffering before and after.

Hoping for the best though.

Reply #861431 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Re Channel 7's streaming of the Olympics....I'm expecting its going to be a train wreck. Constant ads, buffering, not working at all etc.

Reply #861438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET, fair enough, many bring it up on the forum and I thought you had multiple times, so I retract that.

However my point stands. If you've spent some time around FIBA officials, you know how bad their mentality is. It's one of the things us Aussies should get behind Bogut on, and my criticism of Aussies bringing it up stands. It wasn't a stupid statement. FIBA as an organisation is Euro centric.

I don't think it's funny at all, he meant that FIBA is Euro centric, and their officials find it very hard to call games neutrally for us come medal rounds. He's right.

Pizza gate, stuff like that. That's nutjob levels of funny.

Reply #861455 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Bringing up FIBA being euro centric after losing a game is just more of the same conspiracy nut stuff from Bogut though.

Bad calls happen. We see that in every sport and in the stands everywhere in the world you'll hear people blame it on some concerted effort for the league to make their team lose. Its nonsense when a mug in the crowd says it. Its downright embarrassing when one of our players does.

Reply #861461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game is on yt now

Reply #861562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754