Boomers Reality Thread

Tip off is almost upon us people.
Super excited to see the Boomers kick off their campaign tonite.

What's the pass mark v Nigeria ?

Nostraballmus will take any win tonite thank you. The key game of the campaign. I don’t subscribe to the 'if they are serious they should beat Nig by 20’ view.

Topic #49001 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think nigeria will significantly step it up defensivly and it's a 55/45 game to us.

Reply #862293 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

On paper Nigeria might be stronger?

Reply #862294 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Games aren played on paper. I look more to what the teams as a group have proven they can do. Australia has been around, has a lot of high IQ players, has a great defensive system. Whereas Nigeria is athletic, might trouble us inside, but if their 3 point shot isnt dropping they're going to be pretty easy to contain because they looked poor in their last two warm up games.

It's a danger game and it is one the Boomers can potentially lose but for me, Boomers by 7.

Reply #862296 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Didn't say they were ME.

Reply #862297 | Report this post

Quick props to Scott Beker from Newcastle reffing the opening game of the tournament. Congrats Scott.

Reply #862299 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Boomers by less than 10.

What I like about this particular team is their low-key but determined approach, which has kept the media fairly quiet and sensible on the medal front.

Reply #862303 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"What's the pass mark v Nigeria ?"

IMO, we should give them a belting!

No doubt there's talent, skill and athleticism in bucket loads. But is there ANY will to win?

These guys (and girls) have been recruited to play for a country, it seems, that most know very little about. No, "Burning desire to play for 'your' country".

I am thinking it's a bit of post-season, paid-for, fun for the Nigeriyanks teams.

Reply #862304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

78-72 is my prediction australia

Reply #862305 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

RobT I think you're jumping to conclusions there. Just because they might have sketchy, if any, connection to Nigeria, that doesn't mean they're coming in there not looking to medal. I mean what kind of connection do NBA players REALLY have to the cities they play for? They just go where they're paid to go for the most part. Lebron James cared so deeply about his hometown of Cleveland that he left TWICE when it became inconvenient for him. I wouldn't be judging this team on that alone.

This is going to be a tough game and make no mistake - it is a danger game. if we drop this game we have an uphill battle to the medals. Instead of crossing over against someone like Slovenia or Argentina you're looking at USA, France or Spain. I wouldn't be coming into this game thinking it would be easy and I am sure the Boomers know that what they saw in the exhibition wasnt a real reflection of that team.

Australia by 7 but I am very wary.

Reply #862308 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

You're more than likely right. They did get to the final dance, after all.

Reply #862311 | Report this post

Italy v Germany is just a 3 ball battle at present. Germany 7/10 in the first Q.

Reply #862319 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I dont rate either Germany or Italy. Germany is garbage and Italy is too small and unathletic. I think australia v Nigeria tonight will decide the pool. I really cant imagine either of those other teams beating us.

Reply #862324 | Report this post

Asthanin  
Years ago

Regarding Italy, I'd like to see a few minutes of Nico Mannion vs Josh Green. Potential for some fireworks.

Reply #862331 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Argentina are usually great at these tournaments and made the World Cup final. Slovenia have Doncic and some other very good players. Not convinced they're easier than France. Argentina beat France in the World Cup semi, for example.

Reply #862559 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Don't underestimate Italy or Germany

Reply #862560 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Italy are too small and unathletic to get near the Boomers. I'm expecting our bigs to dominate again, Baynes Landale and Reath have pulverised everyone so far and will dominate those chumps Melli and Gallinari. Delly and Ingles will be out-leaping Tonut, Fontecchio and co. It'll be slow, hal-court, low post grind fought out in the paint. It wont be boring, as there will be highlight reel fast aerial fast break aerial dunks from our Uber athletic veteran Aussie wings. Can't wait to tune in and watch the Aussie's pound those slow, small Italians by 40.

Reply #862561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754