Isaac
Years ago

Josh Giddey picked at six by OKC

Wow.

Topic #49031 | Report this topic

Young Gun  
Years ago

Surpassed expectations. It'll be a great club for him to be part of. All indications are that OKC has a bright future

Reply #863564 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Is that good or bad?

I know most predicted GWS at 7...

Does being picked 6 guarantee more than 7...more money the higher up youre picked?

Better 'group' to develop him at GSW than OKC?

Reply #863566 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Was always gonna be a Top 10 pick. Congratulations to Giddey and the 36ers!

Reply #863569 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Yes. More money for Giddey. OKC has picks for years to come. They have a history of a great front office & coaching staff. He should do well there.

Reply #863570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it for Giddey. Will start straight away at the point alongside SGA.

Reply #863571 | Report this post

big_bird  
Years ago

Pick 6 $4.99m
Pick 7 $4.56m

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cba/rookie-scale/

Reply #863572 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Oklahoma Thunder must really like the 36ers
having drafted Terrance Ferguson in 2017 also

Reply #863574 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Great stuff, congratulations to Giddey and his family/coaching staff/mentors etc etc etc

Reply #863575 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Awesome.
I was actually hoping he'd slip, just to take the pressure off him, but now that #6 has happened I'm stoked for him. Gonna have a great career.

Reply #863578 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

awesome thanks for the clarification, look forward to seeing him mature and leading the boomers in Paris in 2024

Reply #863581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Solid PG opportunities at OKC, assuming they move Kemba on. Maledon and Jerome in their PG depth charts, but Jerome is tagged as SG. Maledon was 27 MPG, 10 PPG last season.

I suppose they could run Giddey through pre-season and then decide what to do with Kemba?

Reply #863582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wontmlead

Reply #863583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnificent in a word, good luck to him.

Reply #863584 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great news for Josh & OKC.
He's gone to a team with a great front office that have a history of holding onto drafted players and letting them develop and he'll have some other young talent around him over the next few years.
Can't wait to watch him play in the league.

Reply #863590 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Great news, congratulations Josh.

He has a great attitude and skills so deserves everything that comes to him

Reply #863591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty awkward fit, in my opinion. Duplicates a lot of SGA. Not a lot of guys on the team that will finish his work.

I truly hope I'm wrong and that OKC’s development works well for him.

Reply #863594 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How much money do the 36ers get?

Reply #863595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah gsw at 7 was better fit

Reply #863598 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

"Pretty awkward fit, in my opinion. Duplicates a lot of SGA. Not a lot of guys on the team that will finish his work."

I wonder about that too. I got the sense that SGA could be traded. In the short term, SGA could help Giddey's integration into the NBA.

Reply #863599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is better than Giddey, according to many posters here. Haha

Reply #863600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Goorjian obviously

Reply #863602 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

SGA will be gone

Reply #863613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How much money do the 36ers get?"

Do the 36ers or the NBL get the compensation?

Reply #863633 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

36ers get zero compensation, nothing. He was Next Star on the leagues pocket.

Reply #863635 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

OKC took Sengun as well at 16.
I can see those 2 just killing it as a duo.
Looks like real good picks when put together.

Reply #863636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers get money

Reply #863637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Adelaide get zero

Reply #863638 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

The Houston Rockets traded two first round picks to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for No. 16 to select Alperen Sengun.

The picks are a 2022 first rounder from the Detroit Pistons and a 2023 first rounder from the Washington Wizards.

My understanding is that the league pays the Next Stars salaries, so if anyone gets "money" for Giddy getting drafted then its the NBL or the NBA Global Academy, however if anyone has a source reference that says the 36ers get money i would love to know those details.

Reply #863641 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So how much money does the NBL receive?

Reply #863647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big relief 36s didn't try to block him like they did with Creeky

Reply #863648 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As others have said Next Star contracts are signed with the NBL not a team just loaned out to a team. The NBL should get all the buyout money but who knows maybe they give the Sixers some for their development of him last season?

Reply #863665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next stars are delivering, Giddey, Ball, RJ, Didi, certainly looking good for a young player that can hoop.

Reply #863668 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Sixers deserve to get paid.

We were the ones that hired Sloan which gave Giddey all these minutes.

Reply #863671 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did my own research since people like to post guesses rather than facts on here and found this from The Advertiser/News Corp published in May behind a paywall:

"The size of the buyout is a closely guarded secret but is likely to be significant. It will be shared between the NBL, the 36ers and..."

What a tease.

Reply #863675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's 500

Reply #863677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It will be shared between the NBL, the 36ers and Giddey, and place them all in a healthy financial position."

Reply #863678 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Another success of the next stars program. He was predicted to be a late second-round pick before he came to the NBL.

Reply #863682 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"It will be shared between the NBL, the 36ers and the Australian Taxation Office."

Reply #863683 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Where are all those posters who insisted deep into the season that there's no way he'd get drafted?

Reply #863685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIK all Next Stars sign two year deals

Reply #863686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Where are all those posters who insisted deep into the season that there's no way he'd get drafted? "

To ashamed to discuss it, maybe.

Reply #863687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dyson Daniels imo made a huge mistake, he'll be shaded among the other 10 nba prospects.

Reply #863688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Royce Young:

One thing I wouldn't misread with the Giddey selection: The Thunder are — and always have been — focused on working out an extension for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander in the next few weeks.

Reply #863690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where are all those posters who insisted deep into the season that there's no way he'd get drafted?"

And where are the haters that say the Next Stars program hurts a player's stock? Some will be up, some will be down.

Giddey is an up.

Reply #863716 | Report this post

Frogmanbaby  
Years ago

Congrats Josh, however I thought it was weird Adam Silver announced him as being from Melbourne, no mention of the 36ers was odd.

Reply #863744 | Report this post

Do colleges get paid for draft picks? If not, why would NBL, 36ers get paid? Colleges sign a player for 4 years and may be gone in 1. Next stars sign a guy for a year, then have no hold on him.

Reply #863747 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Might've been intentional re: the Mitch Creek affair in 2018.

Reply #863749 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Do colleges get paid for draft picks? If not, why would NBL, 36ers get paid? Colleges sign a player for 4 years and may be gone in 1. Next stars sign a guy for a year, then have no hold on him.

No they don't because college basketball is amateur not professional.

FYI, Next Stars sign 2 year contracts with the NBL for this very reason so if they get drafted by an NBA team after their first year the NBL gets buyout money from the team that drafted them.

Reply #863754 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Great news for Josh, a few picks earlier than i think most people were guessing. SGA is going nowhere, and the pick seems to be getting a bit of heat from fans. One thing we know is he has the attitude and work ethic to get better and improve so hopefully he gets the job done. Great day.

Reply #863761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OKC fans not too happy with this pick with the memes going around social media

Reply #863907 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

He's not American and the fans don’t know anything about him so why are we surprised some are unhappy?

At least Steven Adams had a higher profile, but I reckon they would have been pissed at his selection too, for the same reason.

Reply #863911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The criticism over the next stars program was more aimed at those diehard nbl fans here and media members trying to act like it's a guarantee that next stars = always good. For example, see the reaction of Daniels going to the g league thread. In reality each situation is different for each person involved. Congrats to the young man, okc fans seem to not be too pleased and I can see why at least as of now, but the only way to measure a draft pick is with time.

Also I’m pretty sure that once the season was going most people considered giddey a first rounder to lottery pick, I don’t think anyone thought he’d drop to the second round or not get drafted.

Reply #863915 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think a lot of hate, and this applies to players every year is that he was picked at 6. If he was selected say 12 people would be, hey good upside pick.

Reply #863937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey vs Cade matchup in the first game of the summer league August 9

Reply #863942 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

This, and the ongoing sick success of lamelo ball, augurs well for the future of the next stars program
Presumably why we're now getting the interest from Europe

Reply #863956 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OKC buys out Kemba clearing way for more Giddey opportunities.

Reply #865526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think the aim is to not play Giddey until he's developed more.

Reply #865529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sga, Jerome, maledon
Giddey limited minutes

Reply #865530 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754