Luuuc
Years ago

Olympics: Boomers vs USA, 5 Aug 2021

2:15pm EST / 12:15pm WST

Semi Final

Game Stats Page

*cough*
I think I'm starting to come down with something...

Topic #49055 | Report this topic

Hoopie  
Years ago

Can we get Sobey to do a Shane Heal impersonation to get the US players out of their rhythm?

Reply #865214 | Report this post

You must isolate Luuuc

Reply #865215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm expecting Ingles to piss off KD with his trash talk like he did against the clippers.

Reply #865225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could we repeat Argentina 2004 effort? Knock off US in Semi's...

Reply #865227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We could match-up worse with them, surely? They don't have dominant bigs. We have decent defensive wings for Durant, including one brilliant option in Thybulle. And for every athletic guard they have, we have decent defenders in general.

Flipping everything though, they can throw Holiday at Mills and challenge the Boomers to get points from elsewhere.

It's doable.

Reply #865228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Denied a primetime spot. That's BS.

Reply #865229 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

It is primetime...... for the other side of the world.

Reply #865230 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What about Patty doesn't Popovic know?

Reply #865231 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

We match up reasonably well stylistically. It all starts with disrupting them defensively. We're a chance.

Reply #865232 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It is primetime...... for the other side of the world.

Even for the Americans the timeslot sucks - after midnight for their eastern seaboard.

Reply #865233 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

215pm argh NO.

Have a really important meeting 2pm Thurs. Timing couldn't be worse.

How much later do 7Plus add full game replays?

Reply #865234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've thought USA would get the gold from day one, I’m not so certain now, Australia is a big chance, an ounce of luck and they can get this.

Agree it’s a shit time.

Reply #865235 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

To grow the sport in terms of spectators in Australia we need this airing in primetime as it's such a big game versus an elite name brand opponent, outside of an Olympics we never get so many potential eyeballs on basketball.

I saw yesterday the preliminary draw had our semi as the night game and was shocked to see it switched around.

Reply #865238 | Report this post

Tricks  
Years ago

If Thybulle and Kay don't get into foul trouble we're a chance.

Reply #865240 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

we match up well on the US stylistically but I don't want to tempt fate and make predictions about this game. All will say is it's been a long, hard slog being a Boomers fan. We've had a rough run of luck. If we were to beat Team USA in a basketball semi final, that would make all the wrongs right wouldn't it? lol.

Reply #865247 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It would certainly erase all of the hurt.

Reply #865249 | Report this post

Q-land  
Years ago

Fair semifinal matchups. Objectively we will be underdogs in next two games and, but with good chances for a medal.

Reply #865251 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

Interested in people's thoughts, have we inflicted any mental wounds having beaten the US the last two times we've played, even though they were exhibition games? Surely that adds to the teams belief they can get this done?

Reply #865261 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Boomers $6 vs USA and outsiders of $10 for the gold is very tempting after last night's performance.

Reply #865262 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

It's coming Homebush

Reply #865263 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'I saw yesterday the preliminary draw had our semi as the night game and was shocked to see it switched around'

Yep, had this in my calendar until I saw the time last night. :(

Reply #865266 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It doesn't feel that long ago that Australian basketball supporters would've been proud of the Boomers losing by single digit margins to Team USA, especially since the Barcelona Olympics.

My how times have changed.

I will remain optimistic we will medal one way or another.

Reply #865270 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Work calendar blocked out... Given we just smashed Argentina and beat USA recently I think we'll see their best. We can definitely win but will take the defensive effort and rebounding we showed vs Argentina combined with big games from Patty and co. down the other end. USA woeful in the half court outside of Durant excellence, so the less USA run the better too.

We deserve to be underdogs, but we aren't as far away as the odds indicate either.

Reply #865275 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

I just have a feeling we will beat them. You guys know Nostraballmus's feelings are rarely wrong.

It will be close, but the Boomers will prevail

Reply #865284 | Report this post

Mat B  
Years ago

One of the best things about this upcoming game against team USA is that our most recent game was our best so far, so we're going into it with confidence anf focus based on good momentum.

Defensively we played excellent against Argentina and it's at that end of the floor that we'll need to perform well in order to have a good chance.

I'm seeing Thybulle and Exum on Durant/Tatum hopefully Josh Green too. This is a valid game to mix up the lineups that have thus far remained consistent.

We need to control the pace of the game, get it on our terms as much as possible.

I don't mind that Ingles shots weren't dropping much against Argentina because at least he was shooting more, and if he maintains that intent, they could very well drop against USA.
Some more back door action and baseline cuts from the likes of Exum etc will be handy, especially if our bigs draw out the defenders and shooters can fire and open up the interior

Reply #865287 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The conditions are right to beat them. Massive win. Main guys played conservative minutes. Defense was sublime. Shot was falling. Bench got a run. as a training run goes, it was about as good as it gets coming into a game thats importance might become truly historic. I don't want to call it either way, but I feel like the basketball gods might smile upon us finally.

Reply #865307 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Like I said in the Argentina thread everything went exactly as we would've wished to happen in a perfect lead up for this SF. We're playing off the charts lockdown defence and the motion and ball movement offensively from us last night was fantastic.

If we're ever going to beat the USA in a real game tomorrow is our best chance and I think we might just shock the world.

Reply #865311 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The only issue I see with sticking Thybulle on KD is that I reckon Thybulle is better in the passing lanes being able to pick off passes and block shots.

He's also got a higher chance of getting into serious foul trouble if he's locked onto KD. He's very smart at drawing fouls. No one is going to stop Durant but we at least need to not give him open threes like the Spanish did in the quarters.

Reply #865315 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

The Boomers go into the match with a two-game winning streak over Team USA...

Bit surreal to consider that - but they'll have to go for the hat-trick. Since the last game against them they’ve added Booker, Middleton and Holiday, while we’ve lost Baynes.

While Landale and Kay have made up for that - Jrue sounds like he plays the same role that Kay does for us, so we’re going to have to limit his effectiveness.

Aussies need to stick with the USA for three quarters – so when the Americans make that fourth quarter push to pull away, we’ve got enough in the tank to counterpunch.

Love any talk of us being the underdogs - I think the team plays relishes that status.

Reply #865344 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is a do-over game for Goorjian.

Let's not forget in Athens 2004 he guided an essentially all-NBL Boomers vs. USA where we led for three quarters. Now he has the horses to finish the job.

Reply #865351 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

As well as we played against Argentina, I don't think we should get too carried away with the margin. Argentina did fall apart in the 4th.

Reply #865352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is going to be fire.

Really hope Thybulle starts.
We can't start against USA like we did against Argentina.

We can win this with defence. I have no doubt.

Reply #865399 | Report this post

Q-land  
Years ago

Lol, let me c/p a comment from international interbasket board from one of the US fans:

" Can't wait to send the Aussies into their 348th consecutive Bronze medal game, where they’re perpetually fated to lose at the buzzer in some controversial fashion. Used to pull for them but lately there’s been too much chirping from Down Under. Also happy any time Andrew Bogut is not."

Reply #865485 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I mean ... credit to them for knowing their Boomers history. Pretty fair summary really!
I too think we're destined for 4th again, but where there's life there's hope.

Reply #865490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing better than beating those Cocky yanks!!

Reply #865499 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Im lovin all the optimism here but come on really?

Team USA will click into gear when they need to.

Reply #865509 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

First name Peter?

Reply #865517 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Sportsbet now has Australia at $6, USA $1.14. A few hours ago Australia was at $5.50.

Reply #865520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We finishing 4th again boys n girls?

Reply #865521 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There seems to be some kind of extreme opinions that I read about this game, and it seems to conjure up a lot of emotions for people. Some people are almost disgusted at the thought that peasants such as the Boomers would dare to even think they could beat Team USA. Oh, we should just go into the game, humbly take our L, and then recede back into the darkness. Others seem to think we're going to run over Team USA without defensive prowess. Mattise Thybulle is going to shut down the greatest player in the world on his own, apparently.

Truth is somewhere in the middle. I think for those with the former attitude, they're either not aware that we have beaten Team USA before, or they place no importance on exhibition matches. I also think there's an element of venom to their words. It makes them feel like they understand world basketball if America keeps on just winning, and anything that upsets that apple cart upsets their sense of reality. On the opposite end of the table, we've got people who seem to see beating Team USA with a sense of destiny. It is something that will unfold because we really want it to happen, and Patty Mills is inspiring and stuff.

I think the most pragmatic way to look at it is probably to compare it to the game we played against Team USA at Rio. The conditions are closest to those we face now in that it was a game with genuine importance in the Olympics. Team USA was sporting a team that is arguably better than the team we face tomorrow. The Boomers were running a very different team apart from four players - Delly, Mills, Ingles and Goulding. How did that game go? The Boomers fought hard, led for most of the game, and had their chances to beat Team USA, but it slipped away and the Americans had a 10 point win.

Spain was able to trouble Team USA for most of the game on Tuesday, but in the end Team USA pulled away from an aging Spain by 15 points, but the game wasn't without asking questions of the Americans.

France has beaten Team USA relatively comfortably in the first game of the Olympics.

It doesn't take getting too dizzy or romanticizing the journey of the Boomers to see a real chance of winning. Why? France has done it. We've beaten them in exhibitions. We've come close with lesser teams in similar situations. And we are now in some sort of form heading into a crucial game.

People can get emotional and make emotional arguments about how this game will go, but the chances of the Boomers upsetting Team USA is far from zero. This team is absolutely beatable and the Boomers can absolutely do it. It might not be the most likely scenario necessarily, but it is likely enough that being eye rolling and dismissive about it can only be seen as arrogant ignorance.

Reply #865522 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"We finishing 4th again boys n girls?"

Anything is possible but I am leaning towards no. We may not beat the USA but I think this team can switch it on enough to take a gutsy bronze medal out against either France or Slovenia if necessary. Still not going to call tomorrow's game before it happens either. I don't know why people suddenly acting like USA is the dream team again and like beating them is inconceivable even though they've been beaten consistenly since 2019.

Reply #865523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before campaign
Dellevedova -Cleveland(nba)
Mills -San Antonio(nba)
Exum -Houston(nba)
Sobey -Brisbane(nbl)
Goulding -Melbourne(nbl)
Thybulle -Philedelphia(nba)
Green -Dallas(nba)
Ingles -Utah(nba)
Kay -Realbetis(acb)
Landale -Melbourne(nbl)
Reath -Crvena(aba)
Baynes -Toronto(nba)

During campaign
Dellevedova -Melbourne(nbl)
Mills -Brooklyn(nba)
Exum -FA(nba)
Sobey -Brisbane(nbl)
Goulding -Melbourne(nbl)
Thybulle -Philedelphia(nba)
Green -Dallas(nba)
Ingles -Utah(nba)
Kay -Shimane(b league)
Landale -San Antonio(nba)
Reath -Illawara(nbl)
Baynes -Toronto(nba)

6 club changes in 2 weeks.

Reply #865524 | Report this post

Q-land  
Years ago

Raptors just waived Baynes.

Reply #865525 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Remember Richmond were perennial 9th place finishers.

Then....

With that said.

I'm a cynic because I don’t have optimist blood in me - 4th spot is ours.

Reply #865537 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

I am going to throat punch the next idiot "journo" that refers to the USA as the "Dream Team". There is and only will ever be one Dream Team.

Go You Boomers!

Reply #865551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant wait for the game today. Today is start of the ground work for 4 years time in Paris. It's a long way but the Boomers could be adding talent who are not in this squad. Players like Mills and Ingles would become solid bench players, along with Delly depending what happens to him the NBL.

Reply #865557 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

* 3 years time in Paris

Reply #865561 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

Go Strata!!!
Patty Thrills,Sexum and The Tease to give me hell lol

Reply #865567 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Hahah no Perthworld first name Manute

Reply #865569 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Really got to defend like there's no tomorrow and hope we get hot like we usually do against the USA. Agree, would be worth playing Thybulle big minutes.

It's a shame the two best teams won't meet in the final. But I also think France and Slovenia would make a case for second to the USA ATM also.

Reply #865571 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Today is start of the ground work for 4 years time in Paris. "

I can never understand this mindset. It's like we're going into the game to lose but hopefully be better eventually? The future. Blooding. All this. The future is now. It's fine to cast an eye to the future but anyone who thinks this game is about laying even more groundwork isn't paying attention. The game is not won. The competition is not over. Medals are up for grabs. Groundwork is the last thing that anyone should be worried about.

Reply #865575 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Settle ME cant you tell we are trying to play down the hype as to not jinx them! You are excelling at ruining their chances right now

Reply #865577 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed, but Hoops seems to have this fetish over fantasy lineups and projections for years in advance. Even during a two week tourney they can't help themselves. Let's enjoy today and Saturday's medal game - live in the moment for once.

Reply #865579 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Anyone on got bets on for a bit of fun? Mine below...

Bam 10+pts and USA to win @ $2.40
KD double double and USA to win @ $8
Bam double double and USA to win @ $12

Multi @ $21
KD over 24.5
Mills over 21.5
'Tisse over 7.5
KD over 5.5 rbs

Let's go Boomers!

Reply #865582 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

F*** I'm nervous!
More so than previously years where we were always rank underdogs. This year because it feels like we have a genuine shot at it, it's worse!

Reply #865594 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

here here Perthworld fark that shits me too

I've been following this team since 1983, heres hoping THIS MOMENT is the one

Cmon you Boomers !

Reply #865595 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Time to shock the world.

Boomers by 7 points

Reply #865597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Starters:

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Kay
Landale

Reply #865598 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Think the KD v Thybulle and Jrue v Patty matchups are going to be critical.

Then you've got Draymond and Bam against Landale and Kay. Delly hopefully has enough there to make it difficult for Lillard.

They’ll try to limit Ingles with Grant. Matisse will have to contend with Tatum too when he comes on.

Team USA has got great depth in the backcourt - They’ll have to utilise the length and athleticism of Exum and Green to cover Booker, Lavine and Middleton. Matisse may have to switch to whoever is the most dangerous scorer on the floor.

The win is totally within our reach. We’re going to have to play a near-perfect game but I believe. Go Boomers!

Reply #865599 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LFG!

Reply #865600 | Report this post

Sockstisse  
Years ago

We've got this. Going to the Matisse and Patty show.

Reply #865602 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Oh God are we really having this American bloke commentate? Horrendous. Soooo boring.

Reply #865603 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Brian Joorjian.
OMG this guy is awful

Reply #865604 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Let's take that sluggers chance. Go Boomers. Highlight of the Olympics.

Reply #865605 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hope our play is more on song than our singing

Reply #865607 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Joe needs to be ready to relieve the scoring pressure off Patty and Team USA may underestimate Nick Kay - he's got punish them if they do.

Reply #865609 | Report this post

Don't start yet, I think I need to do a nervous poo.

Reply #865610 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perfect start by Ingles.

Reply #865611 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Yeah Joe that's what I'm talking about. No hesitation.

Reply #865612 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Hawks 2000 baseline cam is back....

Reply #865613 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Who is the producer of this? Only a baseline camera now?

Reply #865614 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Who the hell is in charge of the coverage? Baseline for 5 minutes??

Reply #865615 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

USA be clanking it. Excellent defence.

Reply #865616 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

camera angle ffs

Reply #865617 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hit your layups please

Reply #865618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut saying Landale could have earned more in Europe but made smart decision going to nba.

Great start.

Reply #865619 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

Its good that 7mate got the australian work experience kid to co-commentate with a retired grandfather from nevada

Reply #865620 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Into the bonus.
Let's see if we can play it smart from here.

Reply #865621 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

You can see Team USA's length and athleticism on defence giving us trouble already. On the flipside we’re containing them well so far too.

Reply #865622 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Defensive rotation mostly good. USA missing a few decent looks though.

Reply #865623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoying Bogut and Gaze commentary.

Reply #865624 | Report this post

Hakeem Mills  
Years ago

Win this with defence

Patty needs to hit done shots though

These FTs hopefully help

Reply #865625 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Enjoying Bogut and Gaze commentary

Agree. However Casey has got to the point where he has only about 12 set phrases that he repeats over and over and over...

Reply #865626 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He's always been like that.

Reply #865627 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Durant's clanking is a thing of beauty.

Reply #865628 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Aussie boys are working hard. Doing a great job

Reply #865629 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Bubbles...

Reply #865630 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Into the bonus.
Let's see if we can play it smart from here.

Nope. Mostly wasted it settling for jumpers without putting the D under any real pressure.

Nice finish by CG though.

Reply #865631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding! Fantastic start.

Reply #865632 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So far, so good.

Reply #865633 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

A couple of sloppy turnovers by Ingles but goulding restores a deserved lead for us

Reply #865634 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Holding them to 18 was good. Need to make sure there's not let up. They got several wide open layups there. C'mon boys, keep going.

Reply #865635 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah Goulding!

Reply #865637 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

My name is Chris Goulding, I am the Australian version of "the machine"

Reply #865638 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Bubbles!!!

Reply #865639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding D followed by the three

Reply #865640 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

CG the 2000s Heal.

Middleton missed dunk. Love it.

Reply #865641 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Good tactics by Goorj saving his minutes for tonight

Reply #865642 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

LOL Goulding! So our shooting is ok so far but we can't make those layups or tip ins.

Reply #865643 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kay absolutely robbed there

Reply #865644 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

USA relying on a lot of tough iso shots. Otherwise, some interior D breakdowns as the Boomers focus preventing the USA 3-ball.

Reply #865645 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Where is the foul? What BS.

Reply #865646 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Great rotations mostly. Even when it's messed up they are just scrambling like crazy. USA helping with missing the most open looks while making the toughest ones.

Reply #865647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great rotations mostly. Even when it's messed up they are just scrambling like crazy.
It's been incredibly effective, somehow. Great awareness and speed.

Reply #865648 | Report this post

Literally grabbed by the arm....nothing. FFS

Reply #865649 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Exum getting smashed about again

Reply #865650 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Missed the tripping foul by Middleton and then gave us a tech, SMH

Reply #865651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum !!!

Reply #865652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many freebie points will we have to deal with?

Reply #865653 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Man .. Dante making some big plays today

Reply #865654 | Report this post

Kay getting robbed on both ends here.

Reply #865656 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

USA relying on pure talent and athleticism to stay in touch. Nowhere near as much structure and cohesiveness as the Boomers.

Reply #865657 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Exum is getting another NBA contract

Reply #865658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA dribbling into help D from USA. Spacing is way off.

Reply #865659 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

As much as you admire the skill and athleticism of the superstars team basketball is a thing of far greater beauty.

Reply #865660 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

How good has this half been!!

Reply #865661 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Keeping pushing Boomers. Get in their heads!

Reply #865662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Goorj defence is fantastic.

Reply #865663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daring to dream now!

Reply #865664 | Report this post

Sockstisse  
Years ago

Dante playing out of his skin.... Thybulle hasn't even got going yet. We can do this...

Reply #865665 | Report this post

I'm More nervous this far in front than at the start Cmon Boomers !

Reply #865666 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Let's just maintain a ten point buffer to be safe.

Reply #865667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Durant on fire, probably balancing their drought from range.

Reply #865668 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh no Sobey's on.

Reply #865669 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Danger time now - just before the close of the first half

Reply #865670 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Let's not get too carried away. USA's poor 3-point shooting is the margin.

Reply #865671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Sobey off!

Reply #865672 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Agree Fan Since The Old Snakepit, it looks so sweet (FYI I've always preferred your previous user name).

Reply #865673 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Thybulle with a few uncharacteristic costly mistakes.

Reply #865674 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

They're 1-11. That won't remain like that.

Reply #865675 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Getting a little ugly now.

Reply #865676 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

FFS
Really screwed up those last few minutes
:/

Reply #865677 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Damn, wasn't long ago we had a double digit lead.

Reply #865678 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Boomers finishing off quarters poorly. Probably fatigue kicking in because of the energy required on defense

Reply #865679 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Hope Dante's ok

Reply #865680 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Tech and unsportsmanlike calls shifted momentum.

Reply #865681 | Report this post

I think we just dropped our medal

Reply #865682 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Brain-fades at the end, trying too hard. We just needed to waste some time and frustrate the US, not force it. Aaaargghhh!,

Reply #865684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why Sobey ahead of Goulding, got sloppy at the end. Still there to be one. Target Durant, get him into foul trouble.

Reply #865685 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Yeah, get into Durant's head, make him scared to leave the ground

Reply #865686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey instead of Goulding was the momentum change.

Reply #865687 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Expect the US to lift - they'll probably throw the ball around more so that we really have to scramble and US end up with more iso opportunities.

Reply #865688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gooj giving Sobey more minutes on amuch better deeper team than he ever gave Maher.

Reply #865689 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Dante top scorer for us with 10 at the half. Landale has only got 3 on 1/5 shooting. He and Kay so far combining for 7 points. That's gotta lift in the second half. Goulding an unexpected boost off the bench.

Turnovers for us not helpful. But we're shooting 47% from the arc, compared to 2/13 by USA.

KD with 15pts - keeping them in the game.

Reply #865690 | Report this post

Need to look after the ball, pretty sloppy at the end there.

Reply #865691 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Sobey obviously there for his mongrel defence - but ... I must have missed it.

Reply #865692 | Report this post

Sockstisse  
Years ago

Figure that Patty won't stay quiet in the 2nd half. Don't panic people. We're going to do this...

Reply #865693 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Patty shooting 25% - we've been covered it so far with Goulding and Dante’s offense. Just got to stay with it til the final quarter - then the knockout blows are going to be traded.

Reply #865694 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

@Hoopie Don't get sucked in by the Sobey hater anon. He missed one shot. He has been fine out there.

Reply #865695 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Argh Mills.

Reply #865696 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Chill, Patty

Reply #865697 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Missed alleyoop. The signs are ominous but I'm hoping not.

Reply #865698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie game style completely changed. Game over.

Reply #865699 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kay robbed again

Reply #865700 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shocking out of bounds call, as if USA need any help.

Reply #865701 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Need Jock to lift. Has been sub-par so far.

Reply #865702 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FFS WTF.

Reply #865703 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

This is it - this is where they are trying to pull away. We've got to get some composure and stay in touch.

Reply #865704 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We're coming back.

Reply #865705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It not Sobey hate, he's just not this level

Reply #865706 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

These rims are harsh.

Reply #865707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Energy is gone. Lucky Sandy isn't coach we'd all be blaming her.

Reply #865709 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Let's get Matisse & Dante back in there. Time to get more disruptive with our D.

Reply #865710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have stopped playing smart.

Reply #865711 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bring on the bronze medal game, I guess.

Reply #865712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG these REFS!

Reply #865713 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You don't stop the game for a loose shoe. Give me a break.

Reply #865714 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh let's just stop a Boomers fast break for Booker's shoe
FFS

Reply #865715 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Why is USA getting these calls?

Reply #865716 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kay flatlining.

Reply #865717 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes Nick

Reply #865718 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Hey, I'd love Sobey to strut his stuff. He’s better than he’s shown so far.

Reply #865720 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why is USA getting these calls?

Something about FIBA headquarters.

Reply #865721 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

C'mon Boomers, let's get this to 6 at the quarter break.

Reply #865723 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I like this lineup, minus Sobey.

Reply #865724 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is why I made a big deal about our luck when we got drawn into the bracket with the US. It fucking sucks.

Reply #865725 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Our perimeter D has disappeared.

Reply #865726 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not sure if 2021 or 2004.

Reply #865727 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

US giving us lots of space on d, so let's us our athleticism more and start attacking the basket guys

Reply #865728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This draw sucked hard all the top 4 on one side...

Reply #865729 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

BG being exposed. No wonder he never got that coveted NBA gig. You can't put Sobey and Goulding on to chip away at a lead against USA, and leave Thybulle on the bench with Dante and Green. Time to find a new coach before it’s too late for Paris 2024

Reply #865730 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At least we get more rest before the bronze medal game.

Reply #865731 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Can we also teach these guys that picking the dribble up before they have a pass or shot is beyond stupid

Reply #865732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay and Landale lack off length and athleticism against these guys gets shown up. Oh for only Bogut would have stayed healthy.

Reply #865733 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

And if Goulding is going to force some shots up, at least run some plays for him.

Reply #865734 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We sacked Lemanis for this.

Reply #865735 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Agree re Sobey and Goulding on together - that bothered me too

Reply #865736 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wasn't Lemanis sacked for Brown to pander to Simmons? BA are incompetent.

Reply #865737 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"At least we get more rest before the bronze medal game"

Is this why Sobey was given so many minutes? Resting our core?

Reply #865738 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haha rjd, would make sense.

Reply #865739 | Report this post

The dude  
Years ago

Anyone have an idea why we just gave up?

I know usa has improved their intensity of their defence, but wwhy would we get lazy on defence.

Ingles not looking to score at all has just killed us. We knew mills was going to get all the attention, but jeesus.

Reply #865740 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The old adage "it's a game of two halves" really holds true in this one.

We're like a completely different team.

Reply #865741 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wasn't Lemanis sacked for Brown to pander to Simmons?
Yep.

Reply #865742 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Fuck Simmons then. Compete turd of a human being.

Reply #865743 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Time to rest for the bronze medal game.

Reply #865744 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Spurs prob regret that Landale signing. Guy can't even score on Booker

Reply #865745 | Report this post

C'mon guys, where's the heart? There's like two people playing out there for us at the moment.

Reply #865746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA dropping threes like seagulls pinching chips.

Reply #865747 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Probably a good thing this wasn't played during primetime. Taking Australian basketball back decades in the eyes of the public.

Reply #865748 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Time to rest for the bronze medal game.

Yep

Reply #865749 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This second half effort has been so disappointing. What happened to the mad scrambling on defence?

Reply #865750 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's totally baffling. We're in 2021 but they shit themselves like in the past. You'd think there would be more composure now with more NBA players on our team.

Reply #865751 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Starters sitting, but I'd be sitting Dante too

Reply #865752 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ben Simmons MVP for the US?

Reply #865753 | Report this post

The dude  
Years ago

Im a huge ingles supporter, but..

He should be embarrased with his effort tonight. Body language has been awful, passes lazy and sloppy. Shit happens, you miss shots, bad calls etc. but you dont just stop trying.

I dont know what's going on with him as he's had and up and down tournament, but ive never seen him this bad.

Contrast with mills, he never stop trying

Reply #865754 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Goulding saving the ball and handing it to USA for a layup sums up our second half. Every single player should hang their head in shame, and BG should be booted. The minute after the bronze medal game

Reply #865755 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

USA come out punching hard in the 3rd every game, we should have been prepared for that but fell apart.

Reply #865756 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Ben Simmons MVP for the US?"

Hmm, now that you mention it, our Americans have made some uncharacteristic errors: Goorj not calling time-outs to stop USA runs, Thybulle with unsportsmanlike and not much else tonight. USA playing the long game with deep agents? ;-)

Reply #865757 | Report this post

Q-land  
Years ago

Who do we want in bronze medal game, slo or fra?

We have a better chance against Slo

Reply #865758 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Are we even going to show up in the bronze medal game after this effort? Scary.

Reply #865759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We punters should keep our heads up, Durant is in the top 10 players of all time and the USA just superb. If the USA had not been so underdone in the first game we would be playing France tonight.

Reply #865760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was that second half coaching why would you go 5 minutes without a timeout on a run like that in the 3q

Reply #865761 | Report this post

The dude  
Years ago

I can accept a loss when we are outclassed.

But to lose, after leading, because you stop trying or lose your bottle, is just irritatingly.

Do we officially have the quarter final yipes thats going to haunt us for the next 20 years?

Reply #865762 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's almost like sacking our most successful coach ever was a bad idea.

Reply #865763 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

USA with 13 more shots. Rebounding needs to be a major, major focus in the bronze medal game.

Reply #865764 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #865765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Booker plus 30 for them.

Bogut should be added to the coaching panel with Nielsen under Goorj for next tournament.

Reply #865766 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What was that second half coaching why would you go 5 minutes without a timeout on a run like that in the 3q

I thought the back half of the 2nd quarter was when we lost it. We threw the door open for them.
But yeah - the slow reaction at the start of the 3rd was worrying too.

Reply #865767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inglis might be on his last campaign. -26 and defensively ain't great.

Reply #865768 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bogut should be added to the coaching panel with Nielsen under Goorj for next tournament.
Nobody should be under Goorj for the next tournament.

Reply #865769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Always up against it. Our key guard is 6' and we rely on them a lot. Their guards are 6'5-6'8. And they have half a dozen that can go against Patty. Mills had position on one board and Booker just picked it from behind. Lost the boards 29-44. Zero blocks to their six. Points in the paint 24-38.

Meanwhile at the other end, Landale missed buckets posting up Booker.

Have to execute very well over a full game to beat them. We were incredible early but fluffed easy stuff or didn't have the effort in parts of the second half.

Hopefully our bronze game opponent is no less tired from their semi and we're a chance in that.

Reply #865770 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Ingles isn't showing up for the Boomers. Two threes to start, he should've had confidence, was worthy of a heat check. Then disappeared.

Reply #865771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality check

We were huge underdogs in this game. We were paying $6 to win. Don't underestimate a team that has the best player in the world on it supported by booker, Tatum, Lillard and a host of many other superstars. Yes we were up but it’s a game of 4 qtrs. Even when we were up by 13 we were paying $2.50 to win. There’s reason for that. Yes we won a couple of exhibition matches. That means absolutely nothing. Nigeria also beat USA. Enough said.

Reality check 2

We were never going to win gold. As long as USA are in with a half decent team it is nearly impossible. They have consistently been clear favourites from the start of the tournament throughout.

Reality check 3

Our goal is clearly to get a medal. Silver, bronze who cares? It has been to get a medal since day dot. We are about the 2nd-4th best team IMO. Bronze would be a great outcome. Silver would be overachieving. 4th would be disappointing. That is our range.

So now that we are back to reality. Let’s get back to our goal: a medal. Amped for the bronze medal match!

Reply #865772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, we didn't 'give up’. Do you know how much energy it would take to defend Durant and co while producing on the other end. The USA made adjustments that we just couldn’t keep up with. While we look like a poor team it’s just the result of going up against exceptional talent.

Reply #865773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fuck Simmons then. Compete turd of a human being." This is the reality check of the posters here. Yet another horrible, uncalled for post.

Reply #865774 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He caused Lemanis to be sacked for Brown. Then Brown quits so we get Goorjian.

BA are to blame but Simmons started it all.

Reply #865775 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Bronze would be fantastic.
Been fourth too many times.

Reply #865776 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

Keep Goorj as the defensive coach working under a coach that can actually run an offence rather than rely on individual brillance and too many 3s.

Baynes loss hurt because the usa would have had to respect his 3 range and worry about driving on him that he would clumsly wack em.

Sobey wasnt awful, but he has ZERO business at this level. He's like those juniors that when they play "1.get to spot, 2. go into stance, 3. wait 3 seconds pass. 4. turn head and screen without and awarness so you get a pass in the back of the head .... 9. get into lane with ball somehow, but have no ability to finish.

God this one's gunna hurt for a while. THE F'ING 2ND HALF EFFORT MAN

Reply #865777 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's one thing to not show up to play for your country but to also meddle in its coaching appointments and then not show up is even worse.

Reply #865778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If USA doesn't lose the first game, are we more likely to have avoided them or not

Reply #865779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis would have made no positive difference. Jesus Christ

Reply #865780 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Had to play the game of our lives to win this and for the first 1.5 quarters we looked like it. US have the that defensive gear to completely smother Mills and Ingles, and we self destructed offensively. Shame, hope like hell we can pull something together and finally nab a medal. We're due for some luck.

Reply #865781 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

This is not simmons fault. You dont know him as a person to make that call.

But I think, given how widespread that 2nd half mental collapse was, he would have fit in perfectly hehehe

Reply #865782 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

An unfortunate result but the USA basically did to us what we did to Argentina. Took our best punches early and then shut us down and outclassed us for the last three quarters. Durant's a fantastic player.

We needed Mills & Ingles to stand up today, Mills was shutdown and unfortunately Ingles did nothing outside of the two threes he hit at the start of the game.

Hopefully we can regroup and get our heads right now for the bronze medal game, all hope isn't lost we're still a chance to win our first medal.

Reply #865783 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well, most of us thought this would be the result, while others dared to dream. It's an incredibly tough assignment to take down a team like Team USA when they're motivated to win. Our brain farts in the middle of the game let them back in it. But from there, they had enough space to just be who they are. We don't have the horses to stick with that team, obviously. Exhibitions are one thing. But once they've figured their roles out, we settle out at about 20 points below Team USA. And fair enough. I doubt France would get that close to the Team USA we were faced with in the second half today.

I think the most concerning thing was the drop in focus. We looked extraordinarily good to start the game and then everyone went to sleep just as a few things went against us. It is a common trait for Boomers teams and has been the reason we've dropped medal games in the past. That can't be the case in the next game.

So we're up against it also for Bronze. But I think we've shown enough to say we're a good shot at whatever game that will turn out to be. Team USA has turned it on and they're going to give out Ls like this at the gold game as well. I really feel for the guys. It was always going to be need to be 40 minutes of near perfection to get this done. But that medal is still up for grabs and they can still do it. If they get that medal, they'll cement themselves in Australian basketball history as our greatest ever team. I pray they do it.

Reply #865784 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reality check

We were huge underdogs in this game. We were paying $6 to win. Don't underestimate a team that has the best player in the world on it supported by booker, Tatum, Lillard and a host of many other superstars. Yes we were up but it's a game of 4 qtrs. Even when we were up by 13 we were paying $2.50 to win. There’s reason for that. Yes we won a couple of exhibition matches. That means absolutely nothing. Nigeria also beat USA. Enough said.

Reality check 2

We were never going to win gold. As long as USA are in with a half decent team it is nearly impossible. They have consistently been clear favourites from the start of the tournament throughout.

Reality check 3

Our goal is clearly to get a medal. Silver, bronze who cares? It has been to get a medal since day dot. We are about the 2nd-4th best team IMO. Bronze would be a great outcome. Silver would be overachieving. 4th would be disappointing. That is our range.

So now that we are back to reality. Let’s get back to our goal: a medal. Amped for the bronze medal match!

Well said.
Blaming a player or a coach for today's result is such a weak (and pretty clueless & disrespectful to a very good opponent) copout.

Reply #865785 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

Mills was shutdown, but he never stopped trying. He didnt hang his head.

That's why Mills is, and should be, beloved by Australia.

Reply #865786 | Report this post

oskinho  
Years ago

Ingles always fails to show up in the big games. I think he is just very comfortable with being the back seat, steady as she goes guy. It wouldn't matter if he was playing with under 6’s he would still be reluctant to shoot.

I hope after these games we never see Delly or Goulding again.

On the brightside there looks to be an NBA player in Exum somewhere. Also Landale and Thybulle had excellent campaigns. With Giddey coming through and hopfully Simmons to return we are going to be stronger than ever for Paris '24.

Reply #865788 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

"Blaming a player or a coach for today's result is such a weak (and pretty clueless & disrespectful to a very good opponent) copout"

Respectfully, no.

I'll rag on Ingles as an example of why our second half effort was awful, but it wasnt just him. We all felt it, we felt the team just give up and run through the motions.If Ingles had fired would we have won? maybe, maybe not

There's a reason why there's the saying "honourable loss". You tried your hardest and were beaten by superior talent and class. Make no mistake, USA is the best, but you needed to push them to get to that.

Reply #865790 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With Giddey coming through and hopfully Simmons to return
Simmons shouldn't even get a camp invite.

Reply #865791 | Report this post

Some dude  
Years ago

"Ingles always fails to show up in the big games"

That's not true at all. I've seen him play amazingly, its usually when he's fired up and talking trash. I agree that he has just as many games where he doesnt show up.

The dude is an amazingly good player.

Maybe he has family issue weighing on him (his boy), maybe he's worried about being traded, maybe he's just physically breaking down by being old and doesnt feel confident in himself.

Reply #865792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very disappointing but not really a surprise. People get so carried away with exhibition results that are absolutely meaningless

Reply #865796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons withdrawal from this Olympics was at the demands of his employer and secondly supported
By his manager. 2024 will be the year but it's only a bonus if he plays. By this time Giddey and Daniels would have spent some time in the NBA. Humphries body is still developing.

On today’s game. First 15 mins of the game we dominated them before beaten by brilliance from the best players in the world. If USA play like that in the final, they win the gold medal comfortably.

Reply #865797 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Well guys that shows us where we're at. We just don’t have the depth of talent yet. I think they maxxed themselves for 1.75 quarters and didn’t have another gear to go into.

We need more elite creators and scorers, players who would be considered top 3 in the NBA of what they do. Too much reliance on Patty yet again to score.

Landale got a reality check of what it will be like for him in the NBA - starting over again as he's a small fish in a big pond. They were getting up and contesting everything he put up due to their length and quickness.

Delly’s lost his form completely and Joe just disappeared after a hot start. All of our other players got a glimpse to how they stack up against the world’s best.

On the plus side Dante looks like he might have played himself back into the NBA.

Mentally putting this game will be the challenge now – while I think it’s realistic that we are not top two in the world, I totally think we are the number 3 side, so my expectation that bag the bronze.

Do that and they can still make history and send off this golden generation in a fitting manner.

Reply #865798 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Great first half effort by the Boomers, only to fall away and the firepower of USA being too much. Observations:

- got too sloppy with the ball too many turnovers that USA capitalised on
- USA were pretty sloppy too a times, but we didn't capitalise on any USA turnovers
- couldn't hit a shot for some time there, like glad wrap on the ring
- we panicked too early forcing a lot of our offence unnecessarily, Mills, Goulding
- the lack of athleticism with Kay and Landale was massively exposed, a good example was Kay getting blocked by Jrue from a standing start
- from the eye test, Jrue was close to the best player with KD, his size on opposition PG/SG is a real problem and he's so damn smart, absolutely shut down Patty
- Dante deserves another contract
- can't blame the refs, but damn they can make some terrible calls at times when they are right next to the play, that ball off KD's foot was as bad as Exum getting decked by Campazzo, both right in front of the ref

Onto the bronze medal game and I'm optimistic, but can't help but feel we are destined for another 4th finish. :'(

Reply #865800 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Some key stats:

Boomers outrebounded 44-29

Aussies Outshot - 51% to 41% FG

USA blocked shots 6, Australia 0

USA Finished the second half 7-15 from beyond the arc, after shooting 2-13 in the first.

Patty 5/14 from the field but 8 assists, Landale 5/13.

Ingles with -26, Delly and Landale -14

Booker +30, Bam +19, Jrue +15

Booker shot 7-10, while KD shot 53% from field

Reply #865801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If USA doesn't lose the first game, are we more likely to have avoided them or not"

No. Most likely they would have swapped places with France. I.e., USA would have been 1st in their pool and France the best placed second team in their pool. So both would still have been in the same group as Australia and Slovenia for the quarter final draw, with the same four teams in the other side of that draw. So the quarter final draw would have played out the same.

I think we should all acknowledge that this team has performed outstandingly well throughout this tournament. Better than most, maybe all, Australian teams I can recall at previous Olympics. The team topped its pool and belted its quarter final opponent. I can't recall Australia ever getting to the top 4 without losing at least one game. Happy to be corrected if that’s wrong.

Regardless of the result today, the entire team has performed really well and bronze looks very achievable.

Reply #865802 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Australia was so locked in for the first 1.5 quarters.

Not surprised about where it went from there, but still I think that extended stretch- like the finishes to the Nigeria, Germany and Argentinas games- gives me some confidence.

Rebounding a massive issue, as it was against Germany.

My feeling is we're more likely to beat Slovenia than France- mostly due to France's size with Gobert and others- so I'll be barracking for the Frenchmen tonight.

Reply #865803 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bad news for Australia

Slovenia's first 4 games- 51 rebounds per game including 14.8 o boards, opponents- 33.5 rebounds per game.

France's first 4 games- 42 rebounds per game including 10.5 o boards, opponents- 31.8 rebounds.

Australia's current major weakness is a strength of both.

However France is a relatively high turnover team with 16.2 per game, so perhaps the Boomers could pressure them into mistakes and capitalize.

Reply #865804 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"My feeling is we're more likely to beat Slovenia than France- mostly due to France's size with Gobert and others- so I'll be barracking for the Frenchmen tonight."

100%, we can try and shut down Luka and let the rest of the team try and beat us, but we have no answer for Gobert and France are a well drilled team for some time now.

Reply #865805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are not better than France

Reply #865806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bronze would be a great outcome. Silver would be overachieving. 4th would be disappointing. That is our range.
I think fourth would be frustrating rather than disappointing especially copping the US before then, but maybe that's being pedantic. The frontcourt was the weakness and then we lost Baynes. We're either going to get France who topped the US or Slovenia who've been hot. Would we be favourites against either?

Reply #865807 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

France will be tough because of their spread of talent, Slovenia are scary because Luka is capable of anything.

I think we could cover Slovenia's line up better than than France but to be honest, after so many years seeing the Boomers play at international level, I don’t think it’s so much about who we play on Saturday but how we play and our mindset taking to the floor.

Next 48 hours will be more of mental recovery than anything else.

Reply #865809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia does extremely well considering where basketball is ranked in this country re sports, it's a disappointment but top 3-4 in the world is an excellent result. USA have won 15 of 18 gold medals.

Reply #865810 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

The Richmond comparison post summed it up.
Slovenia or France it won't matter fourth is ours.

Reply #865811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slovenia and France have seven footers, it's going to be same result on the boards, we are still in it but have to be patient.

Reply #865812 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Who will be a rebounding force for 2024?
Im not across our next batch of big men.
Mills will be a big loss for 24, but does look very fit so maybe can come off the bench?
No shame in losing to USA but it hurts.
Hope we can finally nail the bronze but both possible opponents would fancy their chances against us.

Reply #865813 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There's a reason why there's the saying "honourable loss". You tried your hardest and were beaten by superior talent and class. Make no mistake, USA is the best, but you needed to push them to get to that.

Very well said, I was dreaming of a win but the reality was we were underdogs. However the nature of the loss was disappointing, it was a shellacking akin to when we had a lot less talent on the team. Criticism is to be expected.

Reply #865820 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

USA have done the same thing the last 3 games- Czech led them 17-7 and were still ahead 39-37 or something. USA took over and won by 30-35.

Spain had an early lead but USA won comfortably in the end.

USA are on a different level talent wise, and once the game settles into it's groove they are too good. After a slow start losing to France (when Booker, Middleton, and Holiday were jet lagged and probably had barely had one proper training session with the team), no one has gotten close to them.

Does anyone think France or Slovenia will get within single digits of the USA? I don't.

The Boomers won't have mental scars from this game- or shouldn't. They were good enough to grab a 15 point lead against some of the most talented players on earth.

Reply #865825 | Report this post

The Boomers have mental scars dating back to every major tournament they've ever played in as they’ve never won a game that counts.

Reply #865827 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There wasn't that effort and desperation on D in the 2nd half. It's like they were thinking "here we go again" and resigned to losing.

Reply #865830 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[The Boomers have mental scars dating back to every major tournament they've ever played in as they've never won a game that counts.]

Debatable.

If we take your interpretation of what "counts" and ignore all the important games that got them there (which is not the smartest way of thinking about it) then they're 0-5 in games that count. They played fairly well in 2 of those games, and for the first 40% tonight, just it didn't quite happen.

In my mind, and in their own minds, they're hardly guys who are incapable of performing on the big stage.

Reply #865832 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

0-5 being the semis and Bronze games in 2016, 2019 and 2021

Reply #865833 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am at peace with this game personally - we lost a game we were expected by almost everyone to lose, against the best team in the tournament man-for-man. We fought hard, showed some signs, but in the end, a few brain farts and a clear difference in athleticism ended up really showing. Kevin Durant is a human cheat code. No one is going to stop him from picking up his gold medal this year. Team USA started off scratchy in this tournament but in the end, they're not going to be a team that fails to win gold this year.

For the Boomers, a bronze medal remains an absolutely outstanding achievement. This team lost their starting centre in Baynes. Simmons didn't make himself available. Thon Maker wasn't available. Delly came into the tournament undercooked. We were forced into a pretty difficult situation and yet, history still remains for this team.

I thought Andrew Gaze's speil on the bronze was excelent in his chat with Liam Santamaria. Bronze means something. Bronze is history. I know personally I will be immensely proud to see the boys win a Bronze medal. It would be a historic achievement and one that puts them in the history books as the first to ever do it. It would make them, without question Australia's greatest ever basketball team.

I give us a solid chance of defeating Slovenia if that's our matcyh up. I just hope France and Slovenia bash eachother up in this game.

Reply #865839 | Report this post

..... And prior to 2016, eg semi and bronze in 2000, semi and bronze 1996 …..

Reply #865841 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

After some of the late 80's and early 90's Boomers floggings at the hands of teams like Yugoslavia and the USSR, I made it my life's dream to see the Boomers get an Olympic or World Champs medal before I croak. I ain't getting any bloody younger (world's dumbest saying), so lets make it happen fellas!

Just outclassed today and very disappointing. Time to push that aside and go for broke regardless of the opponent.

Reply #865842 | Report this post

That's what made today so disappointed. I expected to see 40 minutes of the most intense Boomer basketball effort ever. Instead it felt like we made one push, and when the US pushed, as expected, we weren’t up for the fight. No grit, no hustle, no mongrel. Not one snarl at the opposition.

All good tho, let’s hope it’s in the tank for the bronze game, and this team doesn’t fulfil the international perception of us that put some pressure on them and they’ll crack ie don’t know how to win

Reply #865845 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[..... And prior to 2016, eg semi and bronze in 2000, semi and bronze 1996 .....
]

1996, half the current team were wearing nappies?

The ghosts of Ronaldson and Fisher haunt them, you think?

I wonder how many of the current Boomers even know Ronaldson and Fisher's first names? Thybulle didn't even know the current Boomer's names til a few weeks ago, let alone the 96 Boomers

Reply #865849 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I think we've nailed most of the problems in the comments above. Or at least what we SAW go wrong without necessarily picking WHY they went wrong, which is more important for the next game.

I have no doubt that these guys gave their all, but for some of them it just wasn’t a smart or effective 'all’.
For example, Jingles and Delly have put so much of themselves into the Boomers, and we have to give them a big pat on the back for that, but today showed that they’re at their Use By date. Jingles strikes me as a guy who needs confidence or who needs to be pissed off to really get going, and he just didn’t get going after the first shots; he looked flat and tired after the 1st quarter.

By the end of the 2nd half, it was obvious that the US had started providing more help on ‘d’ and were starting to clog up the middle, but we just didn’t seem to adjust or we had some brain-farts and took risky shots.

As Bogues said, after halftime the US started making the extra pass. We provided too much help on ‘d’ so that while we were scrambling to cover the 2nd and 3rd passes the ball was already on the way to an all-alone shooter. We didn’t seem to have the confidence that we could stop them one on one (which is fair enough), and so we had to swarm on ‘d’ and got caught out. I wouldn’t like to count the number of times we launched ourselves past a shot-fake and then saw the guy drive or set up an easy shot.
An option might have been to pick our battles more wisely, such as to pressure or deny 3-pointers from Brooker and Levine or Durant but to allow them from guys like Green.

I agree also that the guys just seemed to lose their confidence and tightened up on their shooting after halftime. Even Goulding was hesitant to shoot, and he’s got one of the quickest releases around.

Could the coaching have been better? Yes, there were times I would have done things differently,. Maybe there was some plan to justify having Sobey and Goulding on together. Maybe there was a reason not to call a timeout early in the 3rd. Maybe they did have some structured offenses to fall back on when we needed baskets. Whatever. The next game will really tell whether BG can coach if he can help the boys to win us the bronze.

Regardless, I felt that the Boomers had better cohesion and worked harder throughout than the Opals, and did really well considering the quality of what the Boomers were up against. Top 4 result for the Boomers - we can be proud of that.

Reply #865851 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think in a sense we can be proud of a team that makes the top four but there is a sense of agonizing loss that comes with it. It's like an invisible barrier between us and truly being a world basketball power. We're a team that these nations respect, but not one they particularly fear.

Bronze medal game and I am all-in on that. Preferred match up would be Slovenia, as France has a great deal of size to contend with. I think throwing Thybulle on Doncic will be more effective than it was on Durant. And then outside of that we need to get out to those Slovenian shooters at the three point line because they really don't have the athleticism or length that we have.

I would be cautiously confident of beating Slovenia in a bronze medal match. I would be a bit scared of France though.

Hopefully in a few days time we're here talking about the most successful Boomers team in history. That goal is still very much alive and well.

Reply #865855 | Report this post

Mat B  
Years ago

When USA turned it up late in the 2nd and closed in on our lead, we looked tired and hesitant.
It was then that I was wanted some subs to keep the defensive pressure up.
Our bigs were clearly tired by the 3rd. Even a few minutes of Reath with instructions to be aggressive, rebound and set good screens would've helped give Kay or Landale time to catch their breath.
Josh Green could've brought an energizing defensive spark, but again saw no minutes. Why???

Why Thybulle sat so long is anyone's guess.

Ingles looks really tired. His reluctance to attack after the 2 early threes was telling.
He was easily taken off the dribble a few times which lead to easy drives.
Not questioning his intent, but it looks like he needs time to recover from a long NBA season.

We need to find the fire to take it to our next opponent on Saturday and mentally treat it like the first game if the tournament.
Easier said than done I realise, but we need that reset to come out and grab a medal.

Reply #865885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't kid yourselves, we are cooked

Reply #865891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah short rotation but more depth in future.

Just need another scorer to backup patty.

Reply #865892 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'd like to see a stat on who was defending Durant during his time on court. It surprised me how often Kay was on him.

Reply #865956 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

We'll be regretting decisions made in that third quarter for a long time. No time out to break the momentum, and Thybulle wasting away on the bench for five minutes was extremely poor.

We will need to adjust far quicker to avoid any similar debacles against Slovenia. Thybulle needs to match minutes against Doncic. Who is our second best prospect on him? Josh Green in bursts? We can’t stop him but we have to make him work for absolutely everything.

Reply #865957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay was on Durant a lot of the game, Thyabulle should have been assigned this roll. It's hard to play one out defence when the team plays a lot help out D. Help out is a great system but when you leave a player of Durant ability to help out, he’s got you.

Reply #865995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754