BeeGee
Years ago

November Tip-Off Confirmed For NBL22

The National Basketball League (NBL) has announced the highly anticipated 2021/22 Hungry Jack's NBL season will commence on Thursday, November 18.

The competition is riding a wave of unprecedented momentum following a history-making, multi-million-dollar broadcast deal and a significant uplift in interest and anticipation off the back of the Australian Boomers’ bronze medal win at the Tokyo Olympics.

Hungry Jack’s NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger said: "It is an exciting day for the league and an extremely exciting time for basketball in general.

“Having a start date confirmed for November provides clarity for our clubs, players, coaches, staff, partners, broadcasters and fans, as we all prepare for what promises to be another amazing season."

Loeliger said it made perfect sense to push back the season start date in the current climate.

“Based on expert advice and based on our own experiences from last season, delaying a month gives us more flexibility and most importantly, it provides fans a much better chance of attending more games in Australia and New Zealand as the number of people vaccinated against COVID increases towards the end of the year.

“We know our fans have been eagerly awaiting this announcement and we hope they continue to get right behind the players and clubs as the NBL continues to break new ground and takes things to the next level.

“There’s so much to look forward to with the inclusion of our newest team, the Tasmania JackJumpers, an exciting new group of Next Stars set to launch their careers, and many of our Olympic bronze medal heroes will be coming back home to play.

“We can’t wait for November 18 when another extraordinary season of world-class basketball begins.”

Further details on the 2021/22 Hungry Jack’s NBL Season schedule will be announced soon.

The health and safety of players, coaches, staff and fans will continue to be a priority in all decision making and the NBL will at all times follow the advice of relevant health authorities and governments.

Topic #49132 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much games will each team play?

Reply #868280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More details needed such as proposed end date, finals make up (presumably the same?), how many games, will they have a hub season within a season?

Reply #868291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now with a 10 team league would I be right to assume a 40 game season? Each team 20 home games, 20 away games.

Reply #868295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry it's be 36 games each. 18 home, 18 away.

Reply #868297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to the nbl, hopefully it starts then, Sydney and Melbourne to a lesser extent still got long way to go.

Reply #868301 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It will remain a 28 game regular season.

Reply #868318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is a 28 game season how do they determine:

1. Who plays who more than twice?
2. Who gets more home games? Eg. United gets 2 home games against NZ while NZ only get 1 home game against United

Reply #868343 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL has had many, many seasons with an unbalanced schedule, either teams all playing each other three times or some teams three and some four. It's nothing new.

Reply #868347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So NZ is in lockdown. How will that work in Nov?

Reply #868351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you think? NZ will be on the road again to start the season. Just like the Sydney teams and possibly the Melbourne teams

Reply #868356 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Who gets more home games?"

All teams would play 14 home games 14 away games.

Like in the AFL - unbalanced fixture but they all play equal number of home and away games.

How is it decided? We don't know doesn’t matter.

Reply #868360 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

It was an uneven draw with 9 teams anyway?

Reply #868362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that if NZ go into a hub they won't play.

Reply #868364 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The NBL is 36 games now with the NBL Cup included however I notice they didn't mention the NBL Cup still being on in that article.

Reply #868377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't the nbl cup that I thought was great, only come in in case they could not finish the season, so that the nbl cup winners were champs.

Reply #868383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think the NBL Cup was a one off. I don't think it would be a good thing to have every season, personally. I heard it was very taxing on some player's bodies and a bit of a grind for teams with injuries etc. I wonder if there will be a hub set-up again.

Reply #868396 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They've already talked publicly about wanting to make it permanent.

Reply #868423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well at this stage KR it wasn't very permanent but again COVID could change that

Reply #868432 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Eventually, post-unvaccinated world where international borders are open again without quarantine (say 2023/4 season), I'd like to see an NBL Cup that is a pre-season tournament "that counts"

I like the NBLxNBA in early October - I’d love to see that happen for 5 NBL teams, then those 5 teams play against each other as well in the US - with a real benefit being the opportunities for NBL players to show their talents in front of US scouts etc.

The other group of 5 could play out of south east Asia such as say Philippines where they just love basketball and hope to engage with the South East Asian population basketball market wise and commercially.

Then have all 10 teams round it out by playing in somewhere like Darwin (or NZ or regional somewhere) end of October where they play each other to complete 9 games each.

If you want an even number of games, you could add a 10th game to fight for position 1st v 2nd, 3rdv4th in a championship weekend.

Final ladder positions - 1st wins the cup.

First receives 10 points to the NBL season proper, second received 9points, last receives 1point etc.

Difference between first and last is a three win buffer for NBL season proper.

Start NBL season mid/late November - and try to go with the style of Thu-Sun games only except for midDec to midJan where you have NBL games on daily (except Christmas Day).

Easy to come with ideas without knowing financial viability - but I figure this leverages NBLxNBA, gets more NBL in front of NBA scouts and execs, connects with Asia, connects with regional Australia - or the top end etc.

And a preseason that would actually be interesting without completely bastardising them Season proper or being plonked right in the middle of the season proper.

Reply #868433 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I understand the USA games. It's the pinnacle.

Asia makes sense. It's in our region.

How would Europe go for an alternative to Asia? It's considered as the No2 continent for basketball. The cost would be similar to the USA trip. Might even open up new marketing opps., recruiting opps. and help us in internationals.

Then, for the sake of close relationships within our region, we invite the top 2 Asian teams to join us, at their own expense, 1 in the USA and the other, in Europe.

2 Asian teams would learn lots about us and we about them. Could even help with attracting more players and even teams into our NBL.

With streaming so easily obtainable now-a-days, we would engage three of the world's largest basket-balling markets at once. Even cross region interest, viz; Hey these Aussies (and Asians, hopefully) can play, wonder how they go against the Euro's. Let's have a look.

Reply #868435 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@KET @RobT

Wow, all good ideas for the NBL. For the European Expansion. I think it would be better if you guys penetrated the Asian market first, one step at a time. NBL can focus on the American and Asian markets in the next 2-3 years, then move to promoting in Europe. In China alone, there are 625 million basketball fans! Having even a measly 1 percent or 0.5 percent will easily add 6.25 million, 3.12 plus million fans. For the Philippines, I expect at least the bare minimum, 2-3 million to be tuned in to Adelaide games this season because of Kai. I am sure you are feeling the Filipino presence on social media at least, and yes, I know that they are annoying in the majority, but more or less, the NBL will benefit. There should be a broadcasting deal in play for Kai's games at least. How was the impact of Yudai Baba by the way for the Japanese Market?

Reply #868450 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

G'day, Stevy. Like reading your comments including this one above.

Not meant as a put-down of the Asian leagues, more a recognition that Europe is better. I reckon that our NBL teams will have as tough a time against top Euro teams as NBA teams. If half the league plays the top, only proper that the other half get as close to the experience as possible. The strength of Europe basketball is undeniable . Do us more good.

The very reason that I included 2 top Asian teams is exactly because they (you) do deserve respect and, as we are (sorta) the same continent, region anyway, come share it with us???. I made the assumption that the 2 top Asian teams would be competitive against that opposition.

Tell me, 'cos I don't know. How would your national league club teams go against ours?

Reply #868456 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@RobT

No, I didn't take it as a put down at all hehehe. I just think that doing a lot of things at the same time will be tough. All I am saying is to focus on the American and Asian markets first before expanding into Europe. Once you have a strong foothold in the Asian market, especially those juicy Chinese fans, then you can go ahead and move on to Europe. 

It would be nice if FIBA organized some sort of worldwide Euroleague, like the NBA champion, NBL champion, top champions of European leagues, the winner of the FIBA Americas league, winner of the East Asia Super League, winner of the BAL in Africa, etc. Maybe a month long cup? 

LOL, the top PBA team would get destroyed. In fairness, our best team did well in EASL, but against yours? I mean, not even close. Our top team may win a quarter, but at the end of the game I can see a 20-30 point blowout or even more against the best NBL team. Our chances would be better against a weaker NBL team, I guess. The reality is that our league still have 6'2 PF-6'5 centers and all of the other BS. They have hardly changed since 1975. We are grateful to Tab Baldwin and the SBP for being progressive. If you have seen recent Gilas games, you will notice a significant change in how we play, our size, etc. 

Reply #868457 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754