Anonymous
Years ago

Tryout tips - what do coaches look for?

Does anyone have any tryout tips based on what coaches are trying to look for?

Topic #49257 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good attitude, skill and talent. It always helps if you know someone which is deplorable.

Reply #872167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta play defense. If you can't play D then coaches can't have you on the floor.

Reply #872171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be tall, that helps a lot too

Reply #872176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What they should look for:

- hustle, always

- active hands in d, causing deflections or preventing offensive plays

- o and d rebounds

- passes rather than take hero shot

- hard cuts, active on o

- good communication on court

- do simple things well

- good handles, limited turn overs

What they often look for (a few exaggerations, but I have seen all of this):

- kids of parents involved at the association (yep)

- kids that pay them or their mate for separate training (yep)

- hungry, jungle ball players

- kids with size

- showy types, even when miss often or t/o ball

Reply #872181 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

181 we must have been to the same tryouts

Reply #872188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a former multiple time div 1 coach, most of the squad is really picked before tryouts. For the final spots I would look at some kids with potential, especially 1st years. Also would look a kids who may have a standout skill, like shooting or shot blocking. Finally, depending on the depth of group, might look at an aggressive player, but knowing they may have limited minutes and if they won't be whinging, or worst of all parents whinging.
Tryouts normally are a bit of a waste of time. Isn't till after trainings and a few games do you get to know where a kids level is. Always seem to bring up a div 3 or 4 kid that was an unknown factor and they improve in leaps and bounds.
I would suggest not putting eggs in one basket, go to a few tryouts and see where the kid fits in. One clubs 3/4 squad could be another's 1/2.

Reply #872192 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

tall kids who are fast but have no skills or basketball fundamentals whatsoever.
Kids who hog the ball.
Kids who are dominant on one side of body only.
Loud footy kids who love to be thrown in amongst it and get their own ball and don't pass.
Kids who play offence only

Reply #872195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ yep, should have added that one - preconceived ideas / closed minds ('picked before tryouts), and not really committed to try-outs (‘bit of a waste of time'). I’ve seen those attitudes from coaches as well.

Reply #872197 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

*offense*

Reply #872199 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

Skill, size and athleticism are always helpful but being coachable with a good attitude and strong work ethic are essentials.

It might be a generational thing but I'm always surprised how many juniors these days won’t listen to their coaches or experienced players.

Reply #872200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches have already rang players up before tryouts
If you haven't received a call, seriously don’t bother, the whole thing is an endless cycle of nepotism.

Reply #872202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just being honest what tryouts are. You think a great training from a kid is going to get them picked in a couple hour session? They might be looked at, but inevitably they don't make it. Tryouts are just a show for kids and especially parents that their kid have a chance.

Reply #872205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ sounds like a few of you need to move to an association/club that you can have a bit of faith in

Reply #872213 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

It helps if you choose tall parents, those decisions you make at birth can come back to haunt you.

Reply #872217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ unfortunately coaches often don't understand that many kids get tall early and stop growing at 13, particularly kids of European background, and put all of their energy into them and play them in positions that they will never be able to hold when they are u16 / u18.

Reply #872226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^conversely the African kids mature later and most of the time don't come out until under 16s. Look at a couple of Machar brothers in nbl1, never played a div1 junior game. Div1 coach at Norwood said Akok would never be good enough to ever play ones.

Reply #872228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ agree with that as well.

Reply #872233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they're 4 years older than the Age Group they're allocated to. Happened more than once before. Dominate younger kids. Totally fair.

Reply #872234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

European background, lol,

Most of the population has a euro or British background, yes some children grow faster but if they have small parents it most likely means they won't be tall, not all the time though. Smaller children quite often have much better coordination at a young age but by late teams the taller children catch up.

Reply #872237 | Report this post

Coach_A  
Years ago

I look for fitness. Players with a good motor who can run up and down the floor consistently at speed get a tick in my book.

Reply #872258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach A
Give me a smart skilled basketballer over a robot athlete that runs up and down the floor any day.
That's the problem with most sports these days, been hijacked by dumbass athletes.
Nothing beats IQ, timing, skill, feel for the contest, vision, temperament....
These are the things a coach should be looking for

Reply #872268 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

A great attitude and a desire to play is my 1st criteria.

Skills are absolutely important but I would think that that is a coaches job, to teach and develop skills and team strategies.

They are also easier to teach/learn than attitude is.

As eg's of poor attitude, I offer, (Sorry to do this) Cam Oliver has superstar level of skills. Hard to believe same guy played the second season. Lamar Patterson. Great at Brisbane for 2 yrs, stunk at Breakers, ok again back at the Bullets.

As eg's of good attitude, who better that Patty and Joe leading the Boomers with a never-say-die attitude? Maybe Jock with his will-go-undefeated-for-the-season statement and attitude.

Reply #872271 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

Ears and the ability to use them

Reply #872274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The African kids ages years ago were certainly a problem, wasn't their fault. Don't think immigration were thinking about their sporting prowess when processing. Now the second generation coming through, ages are legit.

Reply #872277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knowall spot on. Easiest thing to do with unknown kids is ask them to do something with their weak hand. Reassure them that you're looking for willingness to try, not ability to execute. Those who refuse to try are not going to learn, easy to cross off a list.

To all those whinging about coaches largely having teams selected prior to trials, what do you propose? That a kid who is known to be a fantastic teammate, coachable and hard-working, gets left out because your kid rocked up to trials and made a few shots? There are always a few kids who come in and light up a trial setting, especially those with good skill sets and decent physical tools. Plenty of those kids get into game situations and have no IQ, no willingness to be coached or play with their teammates. I would be seriously concerned if I encountered a coach at D1 level picking kids purely on the basis of best performers at trials.

Reply #872301 | Report this post

Coach_A  
Years ago

Anon #872268

Fitness is obviously not my only criteria. Let me rephrase my vision: a player who has an above than average engine is more likely to make good decision towards the end of games. Too often have I coached or watched skilled players whose skillset disappears at the end of games because of a lack of fitness.

If I observe a player who outruns everyone at tryouts (ie first one to run the breaks, consistently pushes the ball, first one to sprint back on D), two things instantly comes to mind:

- the kid is a hard worker
- she/he can be used as a physical leader for the rest fo the team.

Skills and IQ, a good coach can teach and develop these. But the players who display the commitment and willingness to run harder and longer than everyone else should be acknowledged. They are definitely not all "dumbass athletes".

Reply #872304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"been hijacked by dumbass athletes." Being coached by coaches that insist on using the Ass word rather than the true aussie word ARSE.

Reply #872310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fitness can be developed reletavely easily and quickly.

Reply #872337 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

You are best off skipping trials process altogether if not in the 1% for height, speed, etc. Best off just joining a club after trials or when summer season has started or just starting and training with them until allocated into a team.

Also go to a club which is not strong in that age group, where you might get into div1 or 2. Then the next season you can go to a stronger club who will put you into div 1 or 2 just because you were div 1 or 2 at your previous club.

Reply #872432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^This guy hit the nail on the spot here

Was cut from squad 1 trials a couple years back in 23s, trained by myself instead of playing div 3 then asked if I could train with the 1/2s 5 weeks later. They said yes and I ended up playing div 1 by the middle of the season

If youre not a physical specimen but still can play, do that

Reply #872538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach A, no disrespect intended, but what level do you coach at?
As a long term coach I can not think of a single coach at D1. HP or rep level that would agree with you.

Reply #872544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^
1. kinda strange you called it metro 1 considering theyre abolishing that dumb concept next season

2. you sound like a salty parent, not the way to go tbh

Reply #872704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what do you mean metro is abolished?
Then what is it going to be?

Reply #872728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

699 people like you are exactly the problem.
You're looking out for your daughter only.
The coaches and JDO are looking at the bigger picture.
That doesn't mean there's favouritism. It means you're biased.

You are the sort of parent that clubs don't need.

Reply #872730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To use a quote of the great Charles Barkley.

"If you go out with a girl and they say she has a great personality, she's ugly. If they tell you a guy works hard, he can't play a lick. Same thing."

Any idiot can work hard and run up and back during trials. Then when they don't make the Div 1 squad, mum in the stands will say, but little Jimmy led everyone running suicides.
They running suicides coz little Jimmy can't make a layup.
Tell them to tryout for little athletics!

Reply #872732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

735, again, you are part of the problem.
Parents with little or no understanding about the bigger picture, pretending they know everything.

Reply #872736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The irony of 761 calling anyone else negative, after the three posts you've posted just having a whinge about your kid being overlooked. Give it a rest.

Reply #872773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#761 - Have you raised your concerns with the JDO? Or have you gone straight to Hoops to bitch and moan?

You've probably got the most dedicated approachable JDO going around at that club.

Reply #872775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

843 (and all your other posts)
Now you've started agreeing with yourself?
For your own sake, please stop.

Reply #872857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

860 - basketball is a height biased sport. Sorry.

Reply #872864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Length matters in basketball, you have 10 players per team, and the big kids generally take longer to develop. There should always be a spot for one or two of them in your higher teams

Reply #872865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed you still haven't answered the question. Have you raised your concerns with the JDO or div 1 coach?

Reply #872882 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Years ago

I once heard a saying from a college coach and found it rings very true and I adopted it as my own.

Guards have 5 minutes to impress me, big kids have 5 years not to impress me.

Reply #872883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

867 - what happens if the decision to put the kid into division 1 becomes a great one in time.

Will you apologise to the coach/JDO as publicly as you are complaining?

Reply #872904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we actually answer OP's question 'what do coaches look for' instead of whining

Reply #872909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA will go back to the chronlogical div 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 etc

so no more of this confusing div ABC crap

Reply #872910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sometimes it's crazy what these feeds lead on to.

Reply #872911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last few selections in a squad sometimes comes down to a gut feeling. Or unfortunately not wanting to deal with a bothersome parent if they are around the mark. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. During the season there can be moved made if there's an obvious error. So many parents will complain that their kid is as good as another in a higher grade. That might be true, but there's only a finite number of spots. Either go elsewhere and prove them wrong, or stay and prove them wrong. Quite simple. And if you go elsewhere and they put the kid in same group as previous club, the problem wasn't the club.

Reply #872913 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If basketball was solely for talls than Patty M wouldn't have made the grade...someone must have forgotten to tell him to give up because he was not tall.
He's three inches taller than the average Australian man. So yes, he's tall.

Reply #872914 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Years ago

I agree, over here in Perth we obviously dont have the numbers at clubs they do in Melbourne etc, But I always say, that the first 7 kids in any team will pick themselves, ie no matter who the coach is they will play in the Div 1 team. The last 3 spots will be where some coaches differ on the type of kid they pick. You will find some coaches like a better defender, some coaches will like the kid who might be better offensively, some coaches might want to take a bit of a project thinking that they wont help me win now, but maybe in 4 or 5 months they will. And those last 3 slots will come down to team make up as well, if your first 7 that pick themselves are all guards and wings, then you need to take a big.

But to answer the original question, I would look for skills, being coachable, team needs.

Reply #872919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just thought of a good one, being an orphan! But seriously, so many parents have screwed it up for their kids. Either overbearing, filling the kids head of how good they are, coaching on sidelines, bad mouthing other kids and just being a pain in the arse. Alarm bells always go off when a fringe kids parent volunteers immediately before teams are set to be manager, like it's a devious scheme that their kid won't be dropped because mum's the manager.
Majority are good, but there's always a Karen in every group!

Reply #872924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To answer the OP coaches look for many different things.

For new players they are often looking for someone to fill a gap in the Age Group. They may be top heavy or guard heavy so need someone good to balance out their teams. Top age and Bottom age in a similar way.

There is no one thing. Just play to your strengths, do what you're told. Be vocal and seen as a positive leader and you'll be noticed.

Reply #872930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#910 BSA may not actually go back to Div 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc.

All they've said is the Metro/District split is gone. Pro/Rel will exist. How they split pools this time will be interesting. They screwed it up last year.

Reply #872931 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You've just added a few inches to Patty's height...you must be an agent.
Get the facts buddy before you comment, it's not hard to look that info up.
I have a name, dude, you don't need to list a post number.

And I'm not wrong.

Reply #872954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find these plain words in the new competition post:

'the competition will be known as District League with chronological numbering from Division 1 onwards'

Reply #872988 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

@919
You have also highlighted a glaring problem. You had a team picked with 7 players. You should then stop right there. Adding another 3 players into a 40min kids game is not required. I think it is a big issue but all clubs seem to do it. Should not have 9 & 10 players in teams below div1. Should be 8 max.
Imagine footy teams playing with 36 players every week.

Reply #873034 | Report this post

Elphinkiller  
Years ago

Ohhh I wish it was that easy. 8 players is ideal for a 40 minute game at any division. 9 should be the max.

Reply #873044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 10 better for training, although agree 8 is ideal for games and I do feel for those kids and their parents that drive all over town to be on the bench. Perhaps 8 with more flex to bring people up to cover injuries.

Reply #873045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As mentioned in this thread, it's all about the FEES...the dollars…10 per team equals more money
Doesn’t matter if you can’t play or you’re 4ft tall, keep paying your 10 a side FEES for 5mins game time…they will dangle a carrot in front of you for 5 years, be patient, your time is coming…tell you your kid is gonna be a STAR! But you have to keep paying and be patient….once you work out it’s all bullshit….TOO LATE! They’ve cashed in and already moved onto the next bunch of suckers
And that’s how the cycle goes
If you kids height projection is under 6ft 6" dont waste your money.

Reply #873049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ but what if the kid just so happens to enjoy bball? Silly post.

Reply #873058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what youre saying is everybody under 6'6 should just give up?

get a grip

Reply #873100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not necessarily "give up"
Just be prepared for your fees to be used on developing kids that are going to be 6ft 6”+

Reply #873107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't sound ridiculous tbh. You can't teach height

If you're under 6'3 6'4 (much less 6'6) you have to work that much harder than the taller guys to succeed

Reply #873629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't sound ridiculous tbh. You can't teach height

If you're under 6'3 6'4 (much less 6'6) you have to work that much harder than the taller guys to succeed

Reply #873630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754