Mystro
Years ago

Jeremiah Martin to Breakers official.

NZ Breakers have announced 6.2" guard Jeremiah Martin as the 3rd and final import signing for 21/22 on social media this morning.

Topic #49273 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Apparently there was a firm no from Hopson on leaving the States according to Dan Shamir in a stuff.co.nz article this morning.

Martin is slated to start next to Siva @ SG with Hugo Besson backing him up off the bench.

Siva* / WMW
Martin* / Besson* / Bach
Abercrombie / Dieng (NS) / Davidson (DP)
Delaney / Galloway
Wetzell / Loe / Timmons (DP)

One local spot left to sign.

Reply #872605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A concern would be the Breakers have too many guards. But the key difference this year is that Siva and WMW are not score first. I think the Breakers looked much better when WMW arrived and Webster was out. Dieng also looks unselfish. It will be interesting if Shamir uses that depth to create more pace offensively and extends the defence. All of the bigs are mobile so it would be great to see the Breakers play at pace again, something we haven't seen in Shamir’s time.

Reply #872606 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He mentioned a little while ago that he'll be changing up is offensive systems to all for more pace as his team is ideally suited to it.

This article explains his reasoning on the guards.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/300421110/point-guard-heaven-as-nz-breakers-confirm-jeremiah-martin-as-third-import

Reply #872607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other thing is that the Webster brothers were a bit soft. This is a grown man's league and with COVID the schedule is going to be tough, at some stage. Siva and Martin are tough as nails, and should provide some on-court leadership. Abercrombie leads by example and is a consummate professional, but sometimes you need some people who can pull their teammates head in. Delany is getting there, but the Webster bros were never going to listen to him.

As for Martin’s toughness, his past coaches are extremely complimentary. He’s also great defensively, which will help because although Tai should have been elite defensively he just didn’t put in the effort.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/mark-giannotto/2019/03/13/jeremiah-martin-memphis-basketball-aac-tournament-oral-history/3127085002/

https://gotigersgo.com/news/2020/8/5/mens-basketball-jeremiah-martin-making-most-of-nba-opportunity.aspx

Reply #872609 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mystro why didn't you just add to the thread already have.

Reply #872618 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

That's 11 in the main rotation, 2 DPs and another to come. 9 of the 11 will expect mins, I include the NS, Dieng, or why go there? Bach and Galloway can only hope for injuries or foul trouble to get any meaningful time. Weeks may have been worth keeping as a Brendon Teys type. To come off the bench with 3, 4 or 5 successive DNPs by his name and still give what you expect of him from the 2 and a half mins he does get. I know nothing of the imports but assume them to be, at least, good enough. Their reputations seem better than that.

A great team, on paper, but won't be easy to coach. Running them into the ground sounds like the right tactic!

We may need to consider 48-min games, again!

Reply #872620 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Maybe that's why Hopson opted out. Saw himself coming off the bench again, like at MU.

Reply #872621 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopson probably didn't want to live out of a suitcase whilst under heavy restrictions dodging COVID.
Who knows but Martin looks legit enough to do well in the NBL.

Not a bad issue to have with most of the team capable of contributing when on the floor.
NZ haven’t had the best luck last couple of season with injuries so different players will have opportunities at different parts of the season and at least practices will be competitive.

Reply #872628 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

Hey Rob, if knowing what to expect from Weeks you mean bricking some 3s, is he really worth keeping. I'm being a bit harsh and it’s a bit in jest, as in the past Weeks was a good spark plug, but I think it was definitely time to move on. Made Kevin White look like an absolute marksman. Bach seemed like safer bet from what I saw of him last season.

Still, great to see NZ recruiting well. It was a rough ask for them last season, and the coming season may be similar, but I’m hoping they can weather the storm.

Reply #872629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks has really deteriorated. His energy is useful in this league if and only if he can hit the 3 ball consistently. His shot deserted him last year, as did his confidence, and then the defence was able to sag off him and take away his penetrations. Teys can still get hot.

Reply #872662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he plays better defence than Jarell Martin. . :::))))))

Sydney daylight,NZ, Illawarra, ( could move up on who replaces Trice. ) Perth because cats don't miss out.

Reply #872671 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754