TaipansTragic
Years ago

Rockets waive Exum

Where to now for Dante? Does anyone see him getting a gig for a contender? Or is it too late for him to end up on an NBL roster for this season?

Topic #49330 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum-Adnam-Leafa
Munford-Gliddon
Broekhoff-Terangi
Creek-Milner
Qi-Pineau

Reply #874194 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think ownership stake necessarily prevents clubs other than SEM signing Exum?

Could be wrong but didn't Childress have that issue with returning to Adelaide because of his NZ stake at the time?

Reply #874196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly like Delly, Baynes and Thon I think his NBA days are done.

Reply #874198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was lucky to get Rockets gig, mustn't have done much in preseason. Not young now in the sense he's got potential to become better, and nothing that stands out like shooting that could see him picked up. Europe beckons. But considering prior to draft he was mystery man because of a good junior tournament, did well to stick in league for so long.
Him or Thon for biggest draft bust?

Reply #874201 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, I think the NBA is probably over for him at this point. He's a liability. Rockets gave him basically a no-loss contract on their part and they couldn't even see fit to keep him on it. Just says to me they see him as a walking injury, or he just wasn't producing. Either way, his best bet now is to get on an NBL or Euro team and start producing.

Reply #874206 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Could be wrong but didn't Childress have that issue with returning to Adelaide because of his NZ stake at the time?

Childress said at the time he wouldn't come back to the 36ers after what the owner did to Mitch Creek.

Reply #874207 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

SEM have kept a spot open on their roster and Exum is a part-owner of the team...

The big money Euro and even NBL gigs would mostly be gone now so he's going to have to play somewhere on the cheap and other than maybe the G-League he probably wouldn't get better run than here.

Reply #874209 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think Childress' stake is in SEM anyway.

What’s the rule on it though - can someone own a stake in a team and play for another or is there no rule on it?

Reply #874210 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SEM are looking at a big Exum will sign in the g league

Reply #874211 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I mean, if you have an opportunity to score Exum you make it work.

Sucks for him that his NBA opportunity got shot, he seems like the kind of player that tries to make good efficient decisions and that means he won't be selfish and jack it up.

NBA values players that "can score" over efficient team players. Any time you see a player under utilised first thought is could he work at a club like the Spurs? I really think he would.

Come on Pop you know what to do.

Reply #874212 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure the Spurs or any other NBA team would be interested in a guy who was just signed to a 3 year deal by the worst team in the league and got cut during training camp. He must've performed pretty badly in camp for the Rockets to wear this egg.

Reply #874214 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Spurs do magic with rejects of other clubs.

Reply #874215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think he needs to euro route. He needs to build his basketball iq and I think euro style basketball would be better for him then the NBL.

Reply #874216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum has had injuries prevent him from showing how good or bad he could be, great work by his agent to make him so much coin with very little shown for it. Makers agent the same though he can't fall back on injuries as an excuse, just not very good.

Reply #874218 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah really sad but you would think this is it for the NBA now. Was worried last game as he got a DNP and only sparing minutes the previous.

Reply #874220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like he would have made Houston too competitive. They are not looking for wins atm. Reminds me when Clippers released Ingles who went on to play for the Jazz. He would suit the Spurs or the Thunder.

Reply #874227 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

If Exum is going to the NBL. It's South East Melbourne Phoenix!

Reply #874231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a fan of his game but he needs to get in shape.....has never looked like a professional athlete, which. I’m sure contributes to his injury issues.

Reply #874235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course you couldn't play for a team if you had ownership in another. Be like a jockey owning a horse and then riding another one in Melbourne cup.

Reply #874243 | Report this post

A Aron  
Years ago

Time to forget about NBA and leave the US while he's still in his prime.
Go to Europe and make a killing over there for 5 years, then maybe back home for the swansong in the NBL.

Reply #874250 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The most important thing for Exum right now (I think) is to get on the court and show what he can do. He also needs to be in the weight room. I feel like the best place for him to show out is the NBL.

Reply #874259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, you think NBA teams might have a strength and conditioning coach, good tip about bulking up. Don't worry about his game being based on speed and athleticism.

Reply #874266 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

... Oh god, what a dumb take. Athletes NEVER bulk up do they? lol.

Reply #874268 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

If NBA is not a reality for Dante ATM, I also favour him in the NBL as opposed to Europe.

NBL:
He part-owns the team he will play for.
He would instantly become the programs biggest asset.
He would/should care more about this team than any other.
This team would (especially) care for him too!
Would elevate his status to star rather than just another import (in Europe)(which, in itself, isn't that bad!).
He would play a much shorter season which would lessen his chances of injury.
He would be Home.
He will earn less (sorry).
I'll be happy!

Boomers:
Would be available for all internationals and qualifiers..
Would develop chemistry/relationships with NBL-Boomers team-mates.
Being a Full-time Boomer he, along with Australian-based Boomers Delly and notBroekenoff-at-all, and ex-Boomers Bogut, Longley and others, would be another great mentor for the younger brigade.
I'll be happy!

Europe:
He will earn more money (Mazel tov).
I won't be happy!

Best of fortune to him, whatever that be?

Reply #874291 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think if he really wants to get back to the NBA it's better to come here than to go to Europe. I know there are plenty of NBA scouts in europe but I think the playstyle in the NBL is more comparable to the NBA than the European style, and I also think he will get more court time and opportunity in this league than the Euroleague. He will get more immediate cash in Eruope but the NBL might be the better bet if he wants to bounce back to the NBA sooner. Of course this is subject to his output. Broekhoff came to the league and had a poor year and hasnt exactly launched himself back into NBA calculations so it all comes down to what he shows.

Then of course there's the G League, which will pay him less than either NBL or Europe but will keep him right under NBA noses all season. I think all 3 options are possible and viable. Will just have to see what unfolds but you cant really count out an NBL stint and I am sure that's what many fans want to see.

Reply #874293 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Remember when the Clippers waived Joe Ingles? It's not over for him, but I'd like him to get minutes somewhere. Although I suspect his NBA days are over if he doesn't get another NBA contract this season.

Reply #874303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, how long has he been in the NBA? Don't you think if he needed it that someone with proper credentials from their strength programs would have "bulked" him up, rather than someone suggesting it from a random Australian basketball forum.
But then again, maybe it's been the reason he hasn't been able to succeed, just needed a bit of advice from someone probably licking their twisted dust from their fingers before they type. Get onto his agent asap and blow their minds. Or start your own consulting agency and advise players to bulk up a bit, otherwise they'll be busts.

Reply #874304 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Your attempt to sound smart is falling short. Anyone can see that his body is immature and it's a known fact you're more injury prone if you have less muscles to support your joints. His being injured is part of why he hasnt bulked up as you cant train hard through injury, and it also contributes to his being injury prone. Peoplke with more muscle mass take physical knocks better and have better core strength which means they're less likely to fall in ungainly ways. It's the same reason that elderly people are encouraged to weight train to improve their balance and mobility. I am very sure NBA trainers have tried to get him to do it, but if he's injured, he's injured. I am just saying he needs games under his belt and the ability to properly weight train and put some muscle on his bones. I'd be absolutely baffled if any NBA trainer said any different about him. But please, continue trying to sound like a literary genius with lines like "licking twisted dust from their fingers" as though that made any vague sense at all...

Reply #874305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver and Skyes also gone.

Reply #874306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Twisted = Twisties?

Reply #874308 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Dr. Me (as in Dr. Who), I (as opposed to you, Me) think you over-reacted to Anon's fun. I am not a Dr. but agree with what you say.

And now, his response to you has taken a twisted twist.

Reply #874312 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Have to wonder if it is a work ethic issue. Body wise, he still doesn't look totally fit. Rockets sign him, he sits on a good deal, they get a good look at him, then cut him.
Maybe he just doesn't work hard enough??

Reply #874315 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Playing in the NBL is an unlikely proposition, for the following reasons.

a) An owner playing for a team is reasonably problematic, and is it even allowed? In theory, the boss who could make decisions over their teammates status. MJ had to give up his ownership stake while playing for the Wizards, did he not? This is Australia though, where conflicts of interest (and this potential unethical behaviour and corruption) are all above board, so maybe it could happen.

b) Playing for a different team in the NBL, while owning another. A laughable proposition, I cannot imagine being this blissfully unaware of how the world works. If you posted this, you should lose the right to vote in Australia until you complete a Billy Madison-style do-over of your schooling.

Reply #874333 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

Andrew Vlahos part owned the Cats and was still playing. So yes he can play. Why not? I suspect a season of G-League and call up is his next option. He has a lot of basketball ahead of him bar injuries.

Reply #874345 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

After his strong Olympic campaign, I expected Exum to make it in the NBA. Disappointing to hear he's missed out.

If he comes to SEM, instant favourites. Make it happen Tommy Greer!

Reply #874857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, you can train with an injury, just not the body part initially for a bit. It's called rehab. And whilst he was out with his knee, couldn't he work on his upper body? Some people are hard gainers, but as you suggest, he could have hit it hard unless trainers advised against bulking up to avoid stress on the joint.
So with your theory, an injured athlete just sits and waits until they get green light to train? Absolutely laughable. Have seen plenty of athletes take the opportunity to hit the gym whilst they can't get on court. Or do you go by the theory the toe bones connected to the foot bone etc so the whole body is off limits with an injury.
And how old does he have to be before his body isn't immature?

Reply #874862 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754