Isaac
Years ago

Landale's opportunities at the Spurs

I would've thought Landale would be in a great position given Poeltl was out, but he's had DNPs recently. Spurs bigs look to be 6'9" Eubanks (got the start today) and veteran Young. I guess Johnson plays up a position?

If it wasn't expected to be one of Pop's final years, I wonder if they'd minimise Young's minutes, blood younger players even more aggressively, and tank (as much as the Spurs might tank).

Surely they're no hope in the post-season and the fans could survive a down year to outright tank? Pelicans shouldn't stay on their 1-9 pace with players back. Who else is competition besides Houston?

Topic #49402 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes bs by pop
Would start or backup at the Thunder.

Reply #876047 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The fact that spending a whole year tanking but pretending you're not is now a skill in itself is pretty sad.

Reply #876052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's a defensive issue, it’s the only thing that could make any sort sense.

Reply #876054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pop did the same to Patty. Would never start him even when the starter was out. Always limited minutes.

My only conclusion - Pop hates Aussies

Reply #876059 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Maybe it's a defensive issue, it's the only thing that could make any sort sense."

But they don't play D in the NBA...

Reply #876061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point, D is very limited in the nba, pops teams are better at it though.

Reply #876062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice try Cram but coaches actually have always cared about defence.

To your question Isaac, I assume that they're still looking to trade young so they’re giving him minutes to show his value. Pop has recently really drifted in favour of playing smaller lineups so they’re will be times where despite having young and McDermott, he’ll throw out Johnson and Vassel at the 4 despite only being 6’5. Being a 6’5 power forward may be typical at the NBL level (more just Creek is good enough) but at the NBA level going against bigger, better, faster and stronger athletes it’s certainly not ideal. Johnson does well because he’s built but no so much for Vassel.

Pop won’t ever admit it but the Spurs are doing their form of tanking in that they’re still giving a shit and want to win but their focus is developing their younger talent compared to the 6ers who were actively trying to lose to get more #1 picks.

In regards to Landale, I’ve seen some rumours that he hasn’t adjusted to the speed of nba game and has also had some issues with his health (had a concussion earlier in the season/pre season I believe), so despite being better than Eubanks I think Pop is trying to ease him in. Plus Eubanks, Poetl and Young are all better than Landale at doing the grunt work of rebounding, protecting the rim, setting hard screens etc, which pop is known for really liking.

Reply #876064 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Nice try Cram but coaches actually have always cared about defence."

Then why do they tolerate guys who apparently dont try on D? Surely there's plenty of fringe guys who would be busting their butts defensively for court time if so many other players dont care?

I think the rest of your post makes a lot of sense.

Reply #876065 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The whole "no D" thing is overdone - the one thing that a big has to be able to do in the NBA is be passable when defending elite athletes on pick and rolls. If you're not able to do that, you have to be very good at a lot of other things or else you will find yourself unplayable. Look at Enes Kanter's per36 stats for a good example... If you put him on any team in the NBA and gave him 32-36 mins a night I feel pretty confident he'd be good for 18-10 at worst in line with his per36. He would also unfortunately probably give up 40 points a game being targeted on pick and rolls all game long.

Landale's one big weakness is his perimeter D, which wasn't as glaring in the NBL but did surface at the Olympics a fair bit I thought - he bites on fakes, is slow to rotate and looks flat-footed when switched onto wings and too often they waltz right by him. He needs to learn how to defend despite his athletic deficiencies and I think he's in the perfect spot for that. If he puts in the effort and shows progress he'll hit the court.

Reply #876066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Angus pointed out Cram if anything the most critical skill a big has these days in the NBA is being able to guard the pick and roll, so in that sense they still absolutely care about defence.

It's also about dealing with the cards you’re dealt. You have to recognise that with the pace being near an all time high (if may actually be the highest), along with how important shooting is and the atrocious way the game was officiated (some of which has been cleaned up this year) that often leads to scores that are higher despite the effort being applied. Along with coaches dealing with the roster they have as opposed to the ideal one.

The opposite of Kanter was Roberson who was incredible defensively but couldn’t do anything offensively other than crashing the boards however if you can’t shoot or go off the dribble then teams won’t even pretend you’re out there (personally I think he could be on a roster but his offensive limitations are to big to ignore, a better example would be why doesn’t Thybulle get more time.) Look at someone like Westbrook who’s still athletic as hell but teams just sag off him.

Point being that there’s factors outside of the coaches control they still have to deal with that doesn’t appropriately reflect how they feel. For instance, what’s the point in packing the paint against the warriors. Keep in mind as well the talent is ridiculous in the NBA and offensively is leaps and bounds ahead of every other league in the world other than top players in Europe. A guy like Cotton who’s a stud over here would merely be a third string pg or at absolute best a back up on a bad team.

If anything defence requires more effort and intensity then it ever has due to the size of the court and teams trying to create as much space as possible so defenders are having to run out to shooters and being able to recover back into defending a drive. Something that didn’t exist really pre 2011ish.

Reply #876068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he's just not as good as he thinks he is

Reply #876073 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pop did the same to Patty. Would never start him even when the starter was out. Always limited minutes.
I always assumed that was a mixture of maintaining his impact off the bench and blooding players with a higher ceiling. In more recent years, it would've been pointless prioritising him over upcoming guards unless they were building trade value.

Prepping to offload Young makes sense - hadn't thought of that.

Reply #876101 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"As Angus pointed out Cram if anything the most critical skill a big has these days in the NBA is being able to guard the pick and roll, so in that sense they still absolutely care about defence."

Yes, I agree.

Reply #876117 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Landale now entering Health and Safety protocols

Reply #876309 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Damn

Reply #876313 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

It's very early days. Starting from scratch, it's always going to take some time to break into an NBA rotation. He'll get his chances.

Reply #876588 | Report this post

Hakeem Mills  
Two years ago

Not sure he's agile enough unfortunately

Defence is so important in the NBA today. Esp for Cs.

Carmelo got kicked out l the league because he wouldn't. Jabari Parker nearly did himself & it's not like he's ever been on a good team.

Gobert just got how much?
PJ Tucker & Crowder keeps getting contracts on teams that want to win.

Reply #884572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754