Tony Solano
Years ago

NBL 21-22 Play-off Format

Does anyone think only having a Top 4 is too few for a 10 team league? I would like to see some sort of play-in format to give more teams a chance.

The NBA has 16 out of 30 teams make the play-offs and they also have a play-in, which involves more teams.

Your thoughts?

Topic #49474 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #877468 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No

Reply #877470 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I prefer top-6. NBL are too stubborn changing anything like usual.

NBL had a top-6 format for seven seasons from 1997 to 2003. That format worked with eleven teams. I can't see why not the NBL could just bring back the elimination finals they used in 2009.

Only thing I would change would be having best-of-3 rather then one game or aggregation (2 games). Then the top-2 go straight to the semi-finals (best-of-5). Grand Final (best-of-7).

This season may get boring because many teams will be out of playoff contention midway through the season.

Like the NBL said "Next Level!" Not...

Reply #877478 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Elimination games were the most hype games of the entire season. No matter what teams were playing, the feel was immense.

Reply #877490 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'll add that that's what makes Game 7s so hype, is the do-or-die/this-is-it nature

Reply #877491 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So true. I'll never forget Rillie going off from the three point line and Homicide acting as if it was all about him when the Crocs beat us at Challenge in a one-off elimination game. Prick but what entertaining memories.

Reply #877492 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think we should take a leaf out of the NBA's book by having a play-in involving teams that finish regular season #4-6, with the winner filling out the final playoff spot.

1st play-in game
6th @ 5th, elimination

2nd play-in game
Winner of 6th v 5th @ 4th, elimination

*With the 2nd game, we need to give some love for the accomplishment of finishing 4th, so either a best-of-three series or perhaps a +5 handicap situation in the elimination game. I'm not averse to the handicap, don't think it's unprofessional.

Reply #877499 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

And yeah, that was top notch from the Crocs back in the day. Some of the 3s Rollie hit were unspeakable. Pretty sure B-rad Williamson cut sick in that game too

Reply #877500 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I like your idea with the one-off elimination final for 5th vs. 6th.

Personally I would only like two games for 5th/6th vs. 4th. Just have aggregate score line. Best points for and against in the two games goes through. I think the best-of-3 format may stretch the finals series for the three teams waiting for their semis.

But, I know the NBL use to have the best-of-3 elimination finals which were 3rd vs. 6th and 5th vs. 5th. Top-2 teams have byes.

They also had all teams playing in the 3rd round and the three winning teams go through, plus the lucky loser with the highest seed.

Reply #877529 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Pretty sure B-rad Williamson cut sick in that game too

You're right, I totally forgot about the man with the world's greatest posture.

Reply #877538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIW, aside from the seasons with two divisions, the NBL has used the following playoff formats:

1979: Top 2, both into GF

1980-1982, 2010-present: Top 4, semis & GF

1985-1991, 1998, 2000, and 2009: Top 6, elimination finals for 3-6, 1+2 get a rest

1992-1996: Top 8 with quarter finals, semis, GF

1999, and 2001-2003: Top 6, 1-6 play qualifying finals with winners and highest placed loser going through to semi-finals ('lucky loser' format)

2004-2008: Top 8 with 2 rounds of semi-finals' qualifiers for 3-8 (1+2 rest), then semis & GF

Since its inception, three teams have won the championship from lower than 3rd:
1988 Cannons - finished 4th with a 16W-8L
1990 Wildcats - 5th with 17W-9L
2001: Hawks - 4th with 21W-7L

If you want a mediocre start to the playoffs involving teams with losing records, then top 6 in the current NBL will give you that. Will the fans of 3rd placed team pay to go watch their team beat the scrubbers in 6th?

Reply #877554 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I would rather that then have Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand winning all the time.

Reply #877648 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Will the fans of 3rd placed team pay to go watch their team beat the scrubbers in 6th?"

TBH, this season, and hopefully from now on, the league looks so competitive from 1 through to 8, as repeatedly expressed here and several others reports, 6th-place-getter won't be a "scrubber".

Naturally, with hindsight, when the season-proper is up and running, we will all have a better idea on all that.

Reply #877650 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

First seeds have lost to sixth seeds before. Titans lost to Adelaide 2-1, 2001 and Melbourne 2-1, 2002.

I agree, league is that close now that anything can happen.

Reply #877667 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I would rather that then have Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand winning all the time.
Why would the playoff format change who the best teams are?

First seeds have lost to sixth seeds before. Titans lost to Adelaide 2-1, 2001 and Melbourne 2-1, 2002.
Didn't they lose Jason Smith in game one of one of those series? I think they had a few other injuries as well.

Reply #877668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'6th-place-getter won't be a "scrubber".'

Fair call - I was a bit harsh using such a pejorative term. My point is more that 6th place is going to be a team that has a losing record, boosted to look better by wins over the bottom couple of teams. We know that fans of higher placed teams are less likely to pay to see the early rounds of play-offs than the later rounds - even in the current final 4 format. How will that play out when the early round is against a demonstrably weaker team they're even more likely to beat?

'First seeds have lost to sixth seeds before. Titans lost to Adelaide 2-1, 2001 and Melbourne 2-1, 2002.'

Yes. It can happen, but it's rare and how were the crowds for those games? BTW in 2002 Melbourne were 5th with 16W-14L. Wollongong tied their win-loss but fell to 6th on tie-breakers.

Reply #877692 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

No it was a 3-way Head-to-Head between Wollongong Hawks (4-2), West Sydney Razorbacks (3-3) and Melbourne Tigers (2-4).

Victoria finished on top with a 21-9 record. First always plays sixth.

Reply #877738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 am, Sat 4 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754