KET
Years ago

New hoops show on ESPN

I noticed this on the Foxtel guide the other day, ESPN are doing a live half an hour show on Saturday/Sundays which I guess is a mix of a pregame/basketball talk.

" Hosted by experienced sports presenters, Cath Durkin and Drew Jones, The Crossover will feature Illawarra Hawks legend and former championship player, Damon Lowery, Big Brother winner and NBL1 player Marley Biyendolo, WNBL star Maddie Garrick and ESPN news breaker Kane Pitman.

Airing between games on ESPN at 7:30pm AEDT Saturdays and 5:00pm AEDT Sundays, the show will cover all the latest basketball news from the NBL and around the world, as well as reviewing and previewing the NBL games of the day.“

NBL announced it below:
https://nbl.com.au/news/aami-crosses-over-to-the-nbl

Topic #49488 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a terrible lineup of people.

Reply #877702 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Thanks Ket. Do you know if that will also be on Kayo (as KO are in bed with ESPN, I think)?

@ Anonymous; "opportunity knocking too loudly", for you?

Reply #877703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so looking forward to listening to the Big Brother dude, said no one ever

Reply #877704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be hard commentating as a anonymous nobody and criticising those with knowledge and actually played the game eh.

Reply #877705 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Kane is a good twitter follow. I've never seen him do TV stuff so cant comment on that but his knowledge base is great so thats a start.

Maddie Garrick speaks well when interviewed but havent seen her do anything else as yet.

The rest? Surely that could have done better.

Reply #877706 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What an odd collection of people. Hope it's good but doubt it.

Reply #877708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overtime - Santamaria, homicide, luke
The basketball show - heal, healy, rucker, logue
The Crossover - Durkin, Jones, Garrick, Lowery, Biyendolo, Pitman

Overtime I'd give 8/10
Basketball show 5/10

Is the crossover supposed to appeal to young teens or something?

Reply #877709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey "Homicide" Williams should get 6hrs a day on ESPN like Stephen A. Smith

Reply #877710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The basketball show is a joke , every episode they make multiple mistakes.
They called Brittany sykes, the Canberra import, Monique sykes.

Reply #877711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah #705 because anonymous just means clueless doesn't it

Reply #877713 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Corey "Homicide" Williams should get 6hrs a day on ESPN like Stephen A. Smith"

Haha thanks for the chuckle
====

I've noticed lately there’s a hell of a lot of content produced for the NBL on newscorp, Fox Sports website (Logue particularly) and ESPN website (Pitman).

Seems they are holding to their end of the bargain in terms of producing a fair bit of content for the league - loving it.

Wonder how much makes it into the print newspapers?

Reply #877714 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

KET, there is meant to be an 8 page NBL season preview today in all Ltd News papers around the country.

Reply #877716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#710 that was the greatest troll comment to date hahaha

Reply #877719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah #705 because anonymous just means clueless doesn't it" Usually. Just like yourself.
Cram has a nick and said "Maddie Garrick speaks well when interviewed but havent seen her do anything else as yet." So you haven't seen her play?

Reply #877724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#724 so your anonymous comments are clearly superior. You are obviously a highly intellectual credentialed person lol douche

Reply #877725 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Cram has a nick and said "Maddie Garrick speaks well when interviewed but havent seen her do anything else as yet." So you haven't seen her play?"

Yeah thats right, I just watch her interviews. Does she even play basketball?

Reply #877730 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I've watched Cath Durkin on AFL Tonight. She will be a good host. Drew Jones speaks too quickly.

Reply #877734 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lowery was awful during the Blitz, hopefully they confine him to whatever this is and leave him off commentary.

Reply #877735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1

Reply #877737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah thats right, I just watch her interviews. Does she even play basketball?"
Have a guess jeez.

Reply #877740 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

This lineup is worse than the Jackjumpers bench.

Reply #877771 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I've never seen any of these people broadcast so I can’t judge until I see it.

For those critical, is this based on seeing them broadcast before?

Reply #877772 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There's another new show debuting on ESPN this week on Friday called The Jump with Andrew Gaze and somebody called Nat Edwards.

Reply #877773 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It will air before the Friday double header. ESPN are going hard.

Reply #877774 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Shit yeah

They shoulda just stolen the American versions logo for it lol

Reply #877780 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Also today 6.30pm AEDT is an NBL season preview with Santamaria Gazey and Hooleydooley

Reply #877782 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good to see Gaze on a regular basketball show. I'd sometimes have the bounce on a sunday arvo just to watch a bit of Drewy, but can't put up with the rest of the group.

Reply #877785 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Slightly off-topic, but in terms of season previews, Bogut dropped one on his pod a few days ago with John Casey. It's very good and worth a listen.

Reply #877786 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

One of the biggest inhibitors of good sports coverage in Australia is that the regular punter prefers a 'name' (who are often rubbish at the job) rather than lesser known types who can string a sentence together.

I hope that this line-up is reflective of the latter. Certainly Kane Pitman can speak adequately.

Reply #877787 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

There are a few new NBL shows coming out, some will appeal to you and some wont. Is the show targeted at teens? Does it matter if the answer is yes?

The Big Brother guy is actually an NBL1 player so he's about as qualified to talk about basketball as anyone else we've had in these shows. He would have some sort of following the NBL can leverage so it's not a terrible idea, even if that following is on the otherside of 30 to you.

Reply #877793 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

There will also be a show called the Jump with Gaze and Nat Edwards.

NBL22 Preview will be on for one hour on ESPN tonight.

Reply #877800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#793 yeah he played a grand total of 9 games in NBL1 South last season for pretty poultry numbers. But he good luck to him.

Reply #877801 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There will also be a show called the Jump with Gaze and Nat Edwards.

Already been mentioned. Scroll up.

Reply #877802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"yeah he played a grand total of 9 games in NBL1 South last season" Yes that's 9 more games than most or the 'experts' here. Good luck to him.

Reply #877803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paltry even.

Reply #877804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#803 including you

Reply #877805 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Bogut dropped one on his pod a few days ago with John Casey."

Yup loved it! Lots of interesting points - Bogut mentioned that they went for McCarron at the kings but 36ers blew them out of the water so to speak - Adelaide opening the purse strings and getting close or into that tax situation.

I can very much see that and I don't have a problem with doing that for the likes of McCarron and IH. I agree with Bogut about the issue of giving their glut of bigs minutes and potential to crack the shits.

Also said that 36ers intend to start King over Withers/Dech. That’s ridiculous. I like what I see in preseason from King but that would be a plain stupid move IMO.

Reply #877841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King moved to Adelaide because he was promised starters minutes. Kai also signed with them on the basis that he gets significant playing time. The 36ers will be known as a player development club since helping Giddey get to the NBA.

Reply #877847 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It would be such an Adelaide thing to do - spend a lot of money, make some really good signings and then compromise it all by making foolish promises that championship clubs simply wouldn't make

Reply #877856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Jump would be good if Nat Edwards was replaced by a basketball identity with actual knowledge of the game. Waste of a chair spot.

Reply #877953 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

She fills a quota though which is what it is all about these days.

Reply #877956 | Report this post

Sarge  
Years ago

Well i'm interested in seeing what this show has to offer. If you watched the Jump last night you would have seen/heard Kane. If that was a sample of what we can expect from the Crossover they should do OK.

Reply #878034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Omg it was so bad....

Reply #878043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lady on the jump just did not fit.

Reply #878044 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like what I'm seeing with the crossover

Reply #878047 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lowery was awful during the Blitz, hopefully they confine him to whatever this is and leave him off commentary.

I'm in shock right now after witnessing his ball-in-shirt "bicep" trick. WTF!

Reply #878174 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lady on the jump just did not fit.

Was it better last night?

Reply #878651 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754