AngusH
Years ago

Brisbane @ Tasmania

Fun game despite the lack offense. JJs had great energy on D early but hard to sustain that for 40 (+5) mins.

Topic #49499 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Sobey might have just thrown this one away

Reply #877957 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Awful call following the replay.

Reply #877958 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Sobey was at least correct in his assessment of Vaughn Mayberry :)

Reply #877959 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Years ago

Very poor call. In ot, tight game fell straight for Magnay's over reaction.

Reply #877960 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Mayberry has a history of poor calls against Sobey specifically. There is no place in our game for refs with egos and personal vendettas like Vaughn.

Reply #877961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That unsportsmanlike on Sobey is one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Good to see NBL refs still want them game to be about them.

Reply #877962 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah that awful call definitely swung the game. Vintage Mayberry.

Reply #877963 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Regardless, happy for the JJs and Tassie fans to pick up what should be a W from here.

Reply #877964 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Mayberry has a history of bad calls full stop.

Reply #877966 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

The karma bus just whacked Mr Sobey. He's still well in front however in the count of BS calls with zero or minimal contact. Congrats Tasmania, a long time coming!

Reply #877967 | Report this post

A. Nony Mouse  
Years ago

Call could have been challenged?

But certainly not after the verbal side of it...

Reply #877968 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah unless there was an earlier challenge I'm forgetting the unsportsmanlike at least could have been challenged.

Reply #877970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs had money on jumpers since the start, if this is the best refs can do the league is in trouble.
Well done to Tasmania though, surprisingly they have more depth than Brisbane. Brisbane got Franks, Sobey and Patterson that can play, Drimic, Krebs, Cadee ain't doing for you.

The last foul on Sobey was absolutely bad.

Reply #877971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BNE is pretty ordinary. Lamar Patersen just average. More turnovers than good.

Reply #877972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they keep saying Magette? It's Magette!

Reply #877973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed on bad call. If Nathan hadn't have blasted the ref was this a challengable call?

Also who would ever want to be a ref, coaches abuse you, players abuse you, twitter abuses you. They're still human at the end of the day

Reply #877974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns will not finish bottom. One these teams a certain. Must agree a shocking call.

Reply #877975 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Pleased to have NBL basketball back in Tasmania.

To give the JJ's their due - they will play hard.

Lot of tipsters had Brisbane in the top 4.

Good win Jackjumpers.

Reply #877977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The smart tippers don't rate the Bullets Scout.

Reply #877979 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yeah anon - spose the JJs should have won by more.

Reply #877980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just had a check on the nbl site, unsportsmanlike fouls cannot be challenged.

Seems like it's a bit of a gap to me, should be able to challenge unsportsmanlike.

Will Sobey get a fine or suspension for that on the TV? I think if it wasn't on tv there wouldn't really be any repercussions

Reply #877981 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Awesome having bball back in Tassie and a win for the JJ's first up!

Very reliant on Adams and Magette. Not much other fire-power.

Both teams played hard, high energy basketball but not a high quality game. Shooting was poor. Even free throws.

Reply #877982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez Scout what tipsters do you follow? Everyone has had Brisbane mid-pack at very best.

Also time for Vaughn to hang up the whistle, that call on Sobey was downright deplorable. And I don't even like Brisbane.

Reply #877983 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Whinging on here is entertaining.

Reply #877985 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'll never forget Vaughan's handling of the Dusty Rychart after-the-buzzer game winner in Cairns. Just a subpar ref with a god complex

Reply #878002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No whinging, just literally not a single person tipped Brisbane to be top 4, lol.

Reply #878003 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I thought the game was pretty entertaining and a great way to get basketball started back in Tasmania. The Jack Jumpers are looking like my guilty pleasure team. Man-for-man they're not much to write home about, but they play well as a team, and they hustle their absolute asses off. They're going to steal some wins against the top teams and will make the season very interesting.

Reply #878007 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'll never forget Vaughan's handling of the Dusty Rychart after-the-buzzer game winner in Cairns. Just a subpar ref with a god complex

Can't believe he didn't even at least get reprimanded after that debacle. #neverforget

Reply #878010 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep exaggeration from I re Brisbane being tipped as a top 4 team - heard it before the game and ran with. Was wrong to do so.

Still very pleased with the intensity of the JJs, obviously do not have the talent of some other teams but they play damn hard.

Yep the call against Sobey was tough one. If I was a Bullets supporter would be pissed, along with the missed free throw, techs etc.

Scope for improvement with the Jackjumpers with McVeigh, Magnay, McIntosh, McDaniel all have upside as the season goes on. To give them their due they play hard.

Reply #878015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant believe they locked in so many scrubs on multi year deals.
Roth could have had a much better roster next year and now stuck with this bench.

Reply #878016 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Start up your own thread anon - the JJ roster seems an obsession of some anons.

Go for it.

Reply #878017 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

What stood out for me in the game was the Jacks defence. It was on point, especially the help coverage.

They're going to need to keep it up too, because the bench is barer than Mother Hubbard's cupboard. At least Roth wasn't delusional and kept his rotation minutes on a short leash.

Big Liu too slow for Brisbane and won't help them during the season, very much out of place in this league. Interesting Digbeu only played minimal minutes.

Anyone here actually go to the game? What's the remodelled centre like?

Reply #878018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many ploders in Brisbane, Paterson dribbles to much, Cadee and drimic got start playing like there reputations, will finish bottom three.

Reply #878021 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The new side winning their first game appears to be a right (rite?) of passage in the NBL.

Reply #878046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From today's "The Mercury"

"The biggest crowd for a basketball match in Tasmania, with 4738 people cramming into the Nest.
It was the first time the first match of the opening round of the NBL season was decided in overtime.
The first NBL home-and-away match at MyState Bank Arena.
The first point of the season and for the JackJumpers was scored by Sam McDaniel, son of former Tassie Devils basketball player Wayne McDaniel.
First NBL game in Tasmania in 26 years.

Reply #878067 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

One thing that article has wrong is it isn't the first game in Tassie in 26 years.

The 36ers played I think Melbourne in Hobart in the mid 2000s at one point. Can't remember what year though.

Reply #878084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania in fourth position, finals bound.

Reply #878190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will believe it when I see it.

Reply #878191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read in the paper today that the league have ticked off the Sobey USF

Reply #878417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One thing that article has wrong is it isn't the first game in Tassie in 26 years. The 36ers played I think Melbourne in Hobart in the mid 2000s at one point."

There were a bunch of NBL games in Tassie earlier this year when NZ were based there, but we all know what the journo is getting at.

Reply #878440 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754