LV
Years ago

Power Rankings: Week 2

Heading into week 2 of the season, give us your power rankings

10. Cairns - It's all heading downhill for the Orange "Army".

9. Adelaide- Does pre-season form in professional sports mean anything? Adelaide's opening round suggests not.

8. NZ - Covid, playing on the road..... this seems a bit dejavu. I feel sorry for them. But they've gotta do better than that insipid first performance.

7. Tasmania- A galvanizing win first up, but it's pretty clear they'll need Magette and Adams to absolutely dominate if they're to compete for wins.

6. Brisbane- Potentially a Sobey brainfade (or a ref howler. Actually, both) away from a nice road win to kick start their season. It'd be nice if Lamar Patterson started playing like Lamar Patterson circa 2019, instead of some chump who throws away inbounds passes, misses free throws at the death and walks off looking disinterested. Well, he's always looked a little casual...but at least he used to destroy the opposition first.

5. United- Caleb Agada the early favorite for first import on a plane. If United finds itself in a hole, expect them to spend up big on some reinforcements.

4. Sydney- Clumsy win first up against undermanned opponent, but super talented roster.

3. Illawarra- GOAT coach. Talented squad. Watch out.

2. SEM- United are supposed to be the big spenders. SEM said "Hold my beer...". 2 highly rated imports. The best player from China. Ex Boomers & NBA Creek and Broekhoff. Proven role players Adnam, Gliddon, Pineau. The Phoenix are rising.

1. Perth- Another year, another Perth playoffs appearance coming up. Law and Cotton shows every indication of becoming the best Batman and Robin in the NBL. A bunch of injuries, no worries. We're the Wildcats.

Topic #49512 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Purf should be third really. Two home wins against shit teams doesn't count for much, and their pre-season form didn't set the world on fire.

Illawarra and SEM top, then Perth third just because they won twice. But Sydney is a better side.

Taipans... Ship em to NZNBL

Reply #878234 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think its fair that a team with the continuity of Cotton, Norton, Blanchfield, Travers, White, Wagstaff goes initially ahead of a super talented group of newcomers with a 33 year old head coach

Don't forget Perth was missing half their team and did it easy

Sydney played at home and just beat an opponent missing their best player, another starter and a bench veteran. Gotta go better than that if you wanna go higher than 4th in my rankings, sorry!

Reply #878236 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh ok you have Sydney 4th too

Yeah it's hard to split the top 3 right now. All looking good.

Reply #878238 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

LV, good summary, great line, "Law and Cotton shows every indication of becoming the best Batman and Robin in the NBL."

Reply #878240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks about right to me LV, I'd probably swap Perth and illawara but both teams looked good so can understand the current rankings.

Reply #878244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne should let go Dalton and get an import 2/3

Reply #878245 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agada is a solid player IMO, just not the volume scorer that United seem to need at import. I think he was poorly used last night even if his 3pt shot wasn't dropping. The real mistake for United was not going with another import.

Agree with LV's top 4 in some order, as well as Cairns at #10, although the Breakers were a dumpster fire in their first game - also feel sorry for the team once again, but the effort wasn't there either defensively which is a worry - I lost count of how many easy penetrations they gave up on the perimeter with no help D.

Reply #878251 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Munford made the defense look like witches hats.

Siva is replacing Tai Webster, and needs to star for NZ. Neither of their imports had much impact on the game.

Reply #878255 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ deserve their position on how they played Saturday night.

They will need to be a lot better across the board next time out but should be much better with Wetzell available and I'm sure the other starter who had Covid was affected but the rest of the team don't have any excuses.

Reply #878263 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754