Mystro
Years ago

Phoenix Vs Breakers

After copping a hiding in round 1 NZ get to take on SEM again and hopefully reverse the result.

Wetzell makes his regular season debut and Shamir is back at the helm but will it be enough especially with Import guard Jeremiah Martin needing to pass a fitness test to play after hurting his ankle in practice this week.

If NZ can turn up mentally this has the potential to be a great contest unlike their last game.

Topic #49528 | Report this topic

Herbert Cadbury  
Years ago

Yeah I hope the Breakers bring it tonight... A win on the board will do wonders for our confidence.

Reply #878574 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

if jeremiah doesn't play Munford to have another field day on NZ

Reply #878576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still think Phoenix will win here, but definitely don't think it will be as easy as last week

Reply #878577 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I won't be gutted if NZ don't get the win after everything that has gone on but I will be pissed off if they don't compete for 40mins at the very least.
NZ needs to see a lot more from everyone not named Finn Delaney but even he needs to get going in the first half and that's on Siva & WMW.

Reply #878578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Mystro, Finn for the last two seasons has been unreal for us and looks to be continuing that pattern this season.

I think its a tough start going up against a team in the Phoenix that are stacked,

A key to this one has to be disrupting Zhou Qi, nz bigs need to come out aggressive especially on offense.

Reply #878582 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ need to put pressure on SEM by attacking the paint instead of spraying up 3's.
Attack Zhou Qi and go at his body to negate his shot blocking ability or get him away from the paint and use Wetzell's foot speed or Loe's range.

Reply #878586 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jeremiah Martin is out tonight unfortunately for NZ.

Reply #878603 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Siva out early and SEM on fire from 3.
NZ have started well and got a couple of early fouls on Zhou Qi but Delaney also has a couple already

Reply #878606 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

35 pts in the 1st for SEM

Reply #878607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers no Abercrombie then no Martin, now Siva gone after 2 mins. For a team called the Breakers, they certainly can't catch a break.

Reply #878608 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

11/14 shooting for SEM.

Reply #878609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simon Mitchell furious because he knows if they don't continue shooting the lights out they’re going to lose this one to a team missing 3 starters.

Reply #878610 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ looking much better now SEM are hitting everything they throw up

Reply #878613 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Its two different games. One when Zhou Qi is on court, and another when he's in foul trouble.

WMW's such a great backup PG to have - his ability to get to the lane's enjoyable to watch.

Reply #878614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dieng is far too passive. With his length and athleticism he should be able to get everything on the boards but he sits back too much. Besson, however, has the confidence.

Reply #878615 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Ousmane Dieng is unplayable on the defensive end right now, which is disappointing (both because of his status and also because we're thin on the forward line). Hugo Besson on the other hand - definitely fits the rotation already.

Reply #878616 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

That dunk over Tohi was pretty
Breakers showing a lot more fight to finish the half only down by 3 with Siva, Martin and Abercrombie out.

Reply #878617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees are fucking terrible

Reply #878618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think he’s unplayable like Galloway. He’s just lacking confidence. It’s like he’s come from somewhere that maybe he dominated without trying and know he needs to put in effort. Besson had question marks about his defence but he’s trying and improving. Dieng needs to get his head in the game and make plays; Adnam might beat him but Dieng should be pinning those weak layups every time.

Reply #878619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worse than the referees is Simon Mitchell. He lost the challenge and thought the system was broken!? WTF.

Reply #878620 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Galloway missed a couple of bunnies and Bach hasn't found his stroke but WMW has played well both ends of the floor.

Reply #878621 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Losing your review on a clear block foul says a lot about Simon Mitchell's judgment. And if its WMW that's causing you to take timeouts (two I believe), then its not a good day at the office.

Agree with Dieng - I believe he'll get it. I just hope he can get in good defensive position and use his athleticism to recover, and neither's happening. Le'afa pulled a basic crossover and lost Dieng; that can't happen with that much of a height advantage.

Meanwhile - who would've thought Izayah Le'afa would be starting on this team?

Reply #878622 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Can't believe Mitchell thought he was over turning that call on Tohi lol, he was the leaning tower of Pisa

Reply #878623 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Le'afa has showed he more than belongs, such a tough defender and offers enough offensively.

Reply #878624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK maybe Mitchell was right the system is broken!

Reply #878625 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Meanwhile - can someone tell me how Yanni set an illegal screen there? Time and distance for a player who didn't see the pick?

Reply #878626 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You'd like to see Dieng go for the block there rather than dive out of Creek's way.

Reply #878627 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Why didn't Bach get the same call after Tohi’s screen

Reply #878628 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Are we sure this isn't just a 1v1 game between Delany and Creek?

Reply #878629 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That miss from Pineau was something else.

Reply #878630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM offence is basically give the ball to Creek.

Reply #878631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dieng abused 3 possessions in a row, 2 defensively by Le'afa and the turnover on the pressure by Zhou Qi of all people.

Reply #878632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can put a fork in it. But the Breakers will be good this year.

Referees are still rubbish. The one thing in the NBL not getting better each year. Same predictable inconsistent and illogical calls.

Reply #878633 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Really like this Besson kid. Got a bit of Fournier to him.

Reply #878634 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

And Hugo Besson decides now is the time for a heat check. Love his confidence.

Reply #878635 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Besson reminds me of a Fournier type of player - countrymen too.

Reply #878636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugo Besson so nice. Tyler Herro type player.

Reply #878637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek the Elite

Reply #878638 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Much better effort from the Breakers, especially taking into account the outs.

Reply #878639 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I know the Breakers lost the game, but if this meant we found out that Hugo Besson can play, then it was worth it. Hugo's the sixth man for this team!?!

Reply #878640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besson is going to boost his stock big time by playing NBL. I think he'll be on the fringe of the lottery after this season.

Reply #878641 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Same vecayse same ref's and no accountability.. game never going to progress until new gen ref's who feel and know the game come through. It's a old boys club of old boys..need a good mop with great rake head to get rid ov the rusted on...how come we can see but they can't.heads in arse buried in sand. Let it flow it it flow

Reply #878642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were some serious heads buried in the sand on the Wetzell challenge. Did the ref that made the call review his own call?

Reply #878643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh damn that loss hurt, felt like everytime we got close Creek hit another 3 or Izayah got a turn over.

Still a much much better game from the Breakers this week. Good game to watch.

Reply #878644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also no team beats SEM when Creek goes 6/7 from 3. Beast mode.

Reply #878645 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

36 points is the most brutal assault in SEM franchise on-court history

Reply #878646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luc, please, I'm trying to drink tea!

Reply #878647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeAfa is a thug.

Reply #878648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#643 you might want to learn the rules regarding time and distance and setting a screen outside the vision of the defender. It's in the rules, go have a read.

Reply #878649 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What's the rule?

Can't be assed looking it up

Thought Wetzell screen was fair. Foul on Broekhoff for mine.

Reply #878650 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Real happy with the effort and the heart NZ showed.
If they play like that each week they'll chalk up a fair few wins, Creek & the Phoenix we’re just too good last night and losing Martin and then Siva hurt but massive credit to WMW & Besson.

Reply #878652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV if you can't be assed looking it up I can’t be assed telling you.

Reply #878653 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"If the screen is set within the field of vision of a stationary opponent (front or lateral), the screener may establish the screen as close to them as they desire, provided there is no contact.

If the screen is set outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent, the screener must permit the opponent to take 1 normal step towards the screen without making contact.

If the opponent is in motion, the elements of time and distance shall apply. The screener must leave enough space so that the player who is being screened is able to avoid the screen by stopping or changing direction.

The distance required is never less than 1 and never more than 2 normal steps."

This is interesting because I'd argue under a literal interpretation of this, stacks of illegal screens go uncalled in the NBL.

In other words, this may be the rule but it's not what they're applying in the NBL. (Or indeed probably FIBA or NBA which I watch occasionally too)

Reply #878659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA don't play by FIBA rules Einstein

Reply #878660 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wetzells screen on Brokhoff wasn't that different to Smith-Milners on Bach yet completely different outcomes.
Both completely legal imo.

Fun game to watch despite the loss for the Breakers.

I've never seen Creek shoot so well from range so credit to him.
Adnam and Le'afa were excellent and Pineau was a pest on the boards.

Hopefully Siva, Martin & Abercrombie are available asap but pretty happy with the way WMW & Besson steeped up in their absence.

Reply #878661 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"NBA don't play by FIBA rules Einstein"

Thanks Mr Holmes

Just making the point that this rule seems out of kilter with any basketball I ever watch

Reply #878663 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Dieng finished the game well in spite of his hesitant start. The commentators certainly gave him wraps at the end.

What a stable of NS and young imports this year!

Reply #878671 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

A lot of players really showed their class in this game. I didn't know McDowell-white could dunk let alone absolutely abuse Milner like that. Wetzell has more game than I realized. Besson and Dieng are legit. And Mitch Creek is probably the best Aussie in the league at this point. My only question with him is has he burned his Boomers bridge with all the allegations or is he still in that mix? He deserves to be considered on his play at least going forward.

Reply #878674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek's own attitude at previous Boomer camps as well as the allegations around his lifestyle must rule him out of any future Boomers selection.

Shame but he has no one to blame but himself.

Reply #878675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"#643 you might want to learn the rules regarding time and distance and setting a screen outside the vision of the defender. It's in the rules, go have a read."

The screen was set clearly within Broekhoff's vision, and gave him space to step around. The issue was he wasn't paying attention to what was around him and ran through a stationary screen, was just lucky that the review ref bailed him out.

Reply #878676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His head was turned looking at his defensive assignment. Field of vision is he has to see the screen, if his head is turned it is outside his field of vision. Please do try and keep up.

Reply #878680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also setting a screen with your back not facing is dubious at best, illegal according to the rules by my understanding. Seemed pretty clear to me.

Reply #878685 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Peyton Siva is out 4-6 weeks
Abercrombie & Martin both still out against Adelaide

Reply #878691 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754