EssenX
Two years ago

Kings v Breakers

This will be a close one. The key is the inside: Cooks and Martin or Delaney and Wetzell?

Topic #49651 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The loser here is not playing finals, NZ already very doubtful. Can kings play enough D to win, probably as NZ are very average even though on paper they stack up. Kings by 12.

Reply #882168 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

NZ could steal this but I won't hold my breath.

Reply #882171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The Breakers are fresh off Melbourne's defence and will now play the Kings defence. Plenty of opportunity.

Reply #882173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

NZ are rubbish.

Reply #882185 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I have watched the Beakers since season #1.
This team is the worst defensively by a mile.
They couldn't guard a chair.

Reply #882186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

After watching hawks v United, this is almost unwatchable. Gaze talking up kings coach, comparing to Weaver, lol. Kings spend a fortune but just so badly run. NZ are a basket case, I know Covid has hurt them but you have to lift rather than just take the money.

Reply #882188 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

They're absolutely missing Abercrombie’s defence.
Opposition players eyes light up when they see Dieng guarding them.

Reply #882189 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Put a fork in NZ. They deserve the spoon and will bring it home.

Reply #882190 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Two years ago

Delany all time NBL leader in travels after a shot fake into a drive.

Reply #882191 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Breakers hanging around but at no point have they looked like taking the game by the scruff of the neck and getting the W

Reply #882193 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Sydney playing down to NZ's level.

Reply #882196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Sydney playing down to their own level. They trash

Reply #882198 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Peyton Siva showed his pedigree down the stretch and Delaney showed some heart and NZ stole the W, gobsmacked.

Reply #882199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Pathetic by the Kangz

Reply #882200 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Ok I did not see that coming

Also did not see that happening as I gave up on that game early in the 3rd

Reply #882202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The kings arrogance comes back to kick them up the arse. I love gazey but but he talks some average players up.
NZ got stop subbing like under 12 teams. Siva was great. Delaney lifted.
Smith had to to get a US coach, it might still work out, but they had better find some defensive players other than stats padders, Weaver new this when he was in town.

Reply #882203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Buford showing that he's still an immature coach.

Reply #882204 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Vintage Siva.

Classic Kings.

Some things never change.

Reply #882205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kings play random in Gazes opinion, I call I street ball, Martin and Cook have great stats but don't win you games. Adams looks ok but I’d have Ware well ahead of him.

Reply #882206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Some idiots said
"NZ are rubbish."
"This team is the worst defensively by a mile.
They couldn't guard a chair."

Reply #882208 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Well done to the Breakers, great comeback. They executed down the stretch and the Kings fell apart, Siva played some great D and got inside Adams' head.

Reply #882211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Siva is really, really good. Now he needs to teach the other Breakers how to play defence.

Reply #882212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kings need to sign a real centre.

Reply #882213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

One quarter of good basketball doesn't change the fact of what was written above, let’s see if they can keep producing, they were rated as two before season started.

Reply #882214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

There's a good chance the Breakers can and will get better. You can see how much the win meant to them and they’ve got a next one they should be able to use to get the win. Their import guards are rolling now, they just need to get the defence in sync, and get some consistency from their front court. Playoffs will be a miracle, but they could have a solid season from here and certainly shape who makes the playoffs.

Reply #882216 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Dan Shamir 100% success on the Coaches Challenge in 2022.
Crucial possession change after Shaun Bruce jumped in front of Jeremiah Martin on halfway with the game on the line.

Reply #882219 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Two years ago

There's a good chance the Breakers can and will get better.

That's the general direction when you are 0-6 and last on the ladder.

certainly shape who makes the playoffs.

Yes by boosting the percentages of playoff calibre teams.

Reply #882221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

It was clearly the right call, even though Heal and Gaze didn't think so.

Reply #882223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Mystro that is incorrect. He was unsuccessful challenging a Martin foul in Tasmania on Friday night.

Reply #882225 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I stand corrected Anon #225.
Either way, successfully challenging that call was massive and helped secure the victory.

Reply #882232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Still not sure if massive comeback by Breakers or massive crumble by the Kings. The Kings were up 8-10 with 4-5 to play. It's really hard to lose a game in this league with that kind of league. Siva owned Adams on both ends.

Reply #882233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kings coach finding out how tough the nbl is, the team put together is all about offence, nba style, you still have to play quality defence in nbl or you don't win many games.

Casper, Newley, Moller big losses.

Reply #882234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Hunter the biggest loss.
Played zero mins under weaver.
Kept kings afloat last season.
Now out all this season.
He is a bigger loss than Newley

Reply #882239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

If what the Kings do is offence its' pathetic. Just like the NBA , everyone standing around until eventually someone jacks up a 3. They'll look good occasionally when the shots drop.

Is it just Covid or has the quality of games dropped significantly in the last two seasons? Scoring seems lower and its not because of defense, its because everyone wants to be Steph Curry

Reply #882242 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Anon, a lot of teams have had players out in Covid isolation for so they aren't practicing as a group and some players are unable to train at all so hence the rust.

Reply #882243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

The Kings high pace offence was talked about a lot preseason but it's really bad. I think some of the foreign coaches use simpler offences because they play more games overseas and the scout isn’t as thorough. Duncan recently is an exception to this. But both Buford and Shamir have simple offences that are too easy to guard in this league, and Morrison is arguably in that boat too. Vickerman, Goorjian and previously Gleeson have way more wrinkles (pun intended, they also stress way too much sideline).

Reply #882244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

COVID is a factor. The league forcing NZ to play their first two against SEM was harsh. You can see the affect it had on some Bullets and Phoenix players, first the health side of it and secondly the breakdown in practicing and third the lack of consistent game time. Imagine being sick and then not practicing, I remember coming back from a bad flu once and I barely had the strength to put up free throws.

Reply #882245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Duncan sent a lot time in Europe, learned there way. Was heading to Japan to coach and Weaver convinced him to come to Australia.
Shamir coached mostly in Israel, high paying competition but not as strong as the top euro countries.

Reply #882248 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

This just shows the importance of absences

Kings were considered locks for top 4 by the bookies, pre season and for their first 2 or 3 games of the season.

I didn't agree with that analysis at all, but it's hard to gauge where a team's at when they're nowhere near full strength

losing Jordan Hunter and being down an import means they're currently nowhere near a top 4 side.

The Wildcats have demonstrated an impressive ability to compete despite some noteworthy absences, both in their competitive GF showing and then winning games early this season.

But the Kings are 3-5 now. Even United were 0-2 without Goulding, White, and now they've won 6 in a row with CG firing. Not saying RJ Hunter is another CG43 but still.

Season quickly slipping away for the Kings. I'm about ready to count them out but it's a shame when any team doesn't get an opportunity to have their players on the floor.

Reply #882251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

You're right, LV. Similarly, the Breakers were up there preseason but had Siva and Abercrombie, in particular, missing and it's hurt them not having that leadership and defence.

Reply #882255 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

I'm disappointed by how we've played, but we've just been cursed by injuries. RJ Hunter obviously (although never sold on him based on what we did actually get to see on the court), Adams has missed most of our games and still doesn't look 100%, DJ showed the first glimpses this game of being even close to pre-injury form, Jordan Hunter looked on his way to becoming one of the best local bigs in the comp, Bayles had a solid start to the season before his injury... I mean, lots of teams have had injury woes and COVID protocols etc., but I still think we were a top 4 team if not for the injuries. At this point, all depends on who we get to replace Hunter and how quickly. Season is far from over, but we look well behind Hawks/United/SEM/Perth/Brisbane.

Reply #882258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kings always got excuses, no better than the Sixers, just spend a lot more money. Have a look at the names on there bench, all have big raps.

Reply #882259 | Report this post

Bob Jones  
Two years ago

Kings have struggled with injuries but games like the Breakers are must wins to be top 4.

Felt they lacked structure in the last quarter and settled for the 3 too much. The difference in style between the long term NBL/FIBA coaches and NBA/Gleague coaches is evident.

Have Brisbane twice this week who looked good vs SEM so win/s are needed

Replacement/s for both Hunters will need to be good. Think an Athletic 3 is needed - enough depth at the two guard position.

Reply #882269 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Wani is already replacing one of the Hunters, no?

Reply #882272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754