Hmmm
Two years ago

U18 Auschamps

U18 Auschamps kicks off this weekend.

Thoughts/Predictions?

Vic Metro will be looking for better results after last years disappointing performances.

SA Girls? Can they repeat or will Vic Country break through this year?

Topic #49918 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Still no team lists from BA and less than a week out.

Reply #888757 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Don't think any team from wa, sa, nsw, tas, act, nt have a chance.

Vic and qld should be 1-2-3 in both boys n girls.

Reply #888759 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Fingers crossed for them all that COVID doesn't have any impact!

Reply #888768 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Two years ago

Interesting perspective Weedy, I think the same was thought last year and WA came from nowhere to win it all (Men's) and SA (Women's). For a lot of this group, who missed 16's in 2020 it will be their first, and all states have been affected in the lead up by Covid in one way or another, will be very interesting to see what happens to be honest.

Reply #888982 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

BA seem to be the laziest bunch of *$&#@.
Still no program.

Reply #888983 | Report this post

J  
Two years ago

Weedy I don't think lazy is correct just totally incompetent. It’s nothing new, been the same for years! Imagine where basketball could be if they were competent!

Reply #888997 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

One thing that is very telling so far about these champs is that the Australian selectors for national teams suck at identifying talent.

Reply #889318 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Games have been fun to watch. In the mens, Tasmania, SA Metro, and Vic Metro seem to be the most together so far - with NSW Metro maybe sneaking a look. Both QLD teams look rocky, although still time to sort it out.

Interestingly the shooting for most teams has been pretty poor, especially from the arc. Quite surprised by that.

Reply #889319 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Teams are shooting volume from 3 like it's going out of fashion. I thought it would be better following Covid. Defence is poor

Reply #889327 | Report this post

Groote  
Two years ago

WA as a state 0-8 after two days of play including losses to Tas (Metro G), ACT (Country Girls) and NT (Country Boys) with their Metro Men shooting a hazardous 3/28 as they struggles to 46 versus Qld South today. Talk about a program that has clearly gone backwards in 12 months. Naylor has been widely seen at Ballarat sitting with Coxsedge his former mentor in the West. One could say if results don't drastically improve for the sandgropers, Naylor could very well be asking BC for a job back over on the east coast pretty quickly

Reply #889351 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

Genuine question here, usually BA have had a fun and very active social media presence at these events. This year has been the complete opposite, including some games not even being available on YouTube.

I assume it's a resource issue? But surely they could have someone on site keeping folks at home updated and interested. I’m wondering if there might be a child protection issue, COVID related or ?? It’s a really stark difference from experience of past years.

Reply #889355 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

CoachGirl unfortunately BA have a deal with Kayo. The games not on YouTube are only available through Kayo "Freebies".

Reply #889358 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

SA Metro are the real deal. Looks to be them, Tas, or Qld South for the title. Sa Metro vs NSW Metro this morning was a good one - completely different styles. SA Metro Coaches should be given their due, they did well.

Reply #889482 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Lol, sa m are 3-2 atm.

Reply #889483 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

@Weedy Slug - fair enough. I didn't see this evenings games. Saw the game this morning as was impressed. I will check out the 7pm game.

Reply #889485 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

It looks to be in the boys vic m, although Ferranato injured, tas or qld s for the title.
Girls looks to be vic m + 2 of nsw m, qld s, tas

Reply #889486 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Once again, Aus n.t selectors suck.

After the pool games...

These players weren't selected for AUS camp and have all been better than alot of those on the list.

Holmes
Burrows
Bond
Alexander
Wickstrom
Gardiner
Peacock
Betson
Crichton

Reply #889617 | Report this post

JJ  
Two years ago

100% agree Weedy Slug

There definitely are some girls out there that that have missed out and should have been included. Hopefully after this tournament they will somewhat get it right.

But time will tell

Reply #889623 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"Don't think any team from wa, sa, nsw, tas, act, nt have a chance."

Don't tell Tassie that.

Reply #889627 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yeah, my bad Tassie boys been real good and a real shot considering the other big teams have injuries.

Reply #889628 | Report this post

';'  
Two years ago

SA Metro girls didnt even make top 8 Shows the coach fluked it last year... When you don'thave 2 best kids making you look like you can coach

Reply #889631 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

A fluke?
They had Borlase, Brazel and simons, 3 likely future u19 n.t players.

Reply #889632 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

SA Metro v Vic Metro tonight should be a good one. Tasmania are looking very strong indeed, their 2, 3, and 4 in particular are playing some quality ball.

Reply #889634 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Will an u17 crocs team even be able to win asia and win 1 pool game at the WC?

Some of the stock that have stood out

Foxwell
Ferranato*
Jonathan
Ayoubi
Pitman*
Dent*
McDonald
Savage*
Renfree
Hastings
Briggs
Devers
Bruce
Brewer
Furphy
Siulepa*
Higgins
Aukuso
Ibukunoluwa
O'Donnell*
Dimmock
Hughes
Zikarsky*

*Guarantee you would think.

Reply #889636 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Strong list, can't disagree. I would add Blanchard from S Qld to the mix - his shooting has been very solid imo.

Reply #889665 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Also klairus Amir in the USA.

Reply #889667 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

One thing I have noticed: no Sudanese kids on either NSW M or Vic M. Bit surprising... is it a finances thing? I recognise these teams don't come cheap?

Reply #889668 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Not sure of the cost involved but I think only one Sudanese kid was on the extended vic list and just missed out.

Reply #889669 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

I guess you can only pick those who come to trials. I know in NSW pandemic disruption and changes to the leagues and the way trials were conducted meant some kids withdrew or didn't trial.

Reply #889676 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

Girls group is interesting. I haven't seen all of the teams, but less standout scorers than in some years?

Reply #889677 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yes I don't have much hope for the 05/06 u17 girls in the WC, I’m not even sure they’ll make top 2 in asia in June. China and Japan likely stronger.

Depth

5’6 Burrows
5’7 Harvey
5’8 Holmes
5’8 Bond
5’9 Gray
5’9 Twidale
5’9 Alexander
5’9 Wickstrom
5’10 Bobongie
6’0 Shiels
6’0 Clark
6’0 Gardiner
6’0 Kurkowski
6’0 Peacock
6’0 Donnelly
6’1 Bradley
6’1 Fuller
6’2 Webb
6’2 Bird
6’2 Petrie
6’2 Betson
6’2 Hanson
6’2 Crichton
6’4 Juffermans

Listed Heights may have changed.

I think a few COE kids have been outclassed by others in the age group.
Harvey, Hanson, better options are around after watching the ajcs
Gray, Shiels and Juffermans have been good.
Clark and Bird injured, DNP.

I’d argue that a few 07 guards could hold their own vs both 05/06.
Seumanutafa and Notoa from qld
Hall from nsw

Reply #889678 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

Is it just me? I am trying to watch on Kayo, but whoever is commentating is literally doing my head in. If BA can't afford professionals, I understand, but the female commentator is just babbling, when she isn’t cheering for one of the teams. Have resorted to mute... I’d rather have no one and just hear the parents grumbling near the camera!

Reply #889693 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Mareena whittle, think it's just the fact she’s been doing it all day.
She was ok the other day but certainly has been babbling today.

Reply #889694 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Two years ago

It's a tough gig, so I was being patient, but can’t deal any more. Makes you respect people who are real commentators when you see how hard it actually is not to turn off the audience

Reply #889695 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

I have honestly found her pretty rough for the whole tournament. Nothing personal, just not a very good colour commentator in my opinion.

Reply #889696 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

It's been a mix of Bec Cole and Mareena whittle, the fox sports dude and the current guy who’s been there all day.

Doing it for almost 10 hrs straight will make u go loopy.

Reply #889697 | Report this post

Hoops66  
Two years ago

True. But cheering for teams and yelling does not make a great commentary. I am sure she is a lovely person and passionate about basketball, but her supervisor/boss needs to provide her with some feedback and guidance. Really unprofessional.

Reply #889715 | Report this post

Hoops66  
Two years ago

Then again, I have just finished watching WA metro v SA Metro boys on YouTube, and the constant horns and drums were tough to listen to as well!! I like to hear the coaches and the general crowd cheering when there are good plays, so I don't want to mute the sound, but jeez-its annoying. Maybe Im just getting old and grumpy...

Reply #889716 | Report this post

Wayville 74  
Two years ago

Is this the worst SA result ever?

Reply #889718 | Report this post

BasketballEinstein  
Two years ago

What are the overall results atm?

Reply #889721 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Boys: SA Metro 8th, SA Country 11th
Girls: SA Country 7th, SA Metro 9th

Reply #889728 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Looking forward to the final at 3pm - Vic Metro v Qld Sth. I'll take Vic Metro by 6. Scoreline something like 88-82. But it is going to be tight.

Reply #889731 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Boys
Gold-Qld South
Silver-Vic Metro
Bronze-Tasmania

Girls
Gold-Vic Metro
Silver-Qld South
Bronze-Nsw Country

Reply #889772 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Tournament finito.

If it was 20 players in camp for U16 Asia Cup in June, I'd have 05/06 athletes...

Burrows
Harvey
Holmes
Bond
Gray
Twidale
Alexander
Wickstrom
Bobongie
Clark* - injured
Shiels
Gardiner
Kurkowski
Peacock
Donnelly
Webb
Petrie
Betson
Crichton
Juffermans

Foxwell
Ayoubi
Jonathan
Ferranato
Pitman
Dent
Savage
Renfree
Devers
Briggs
Brewer
Amir* - overseas
Siulepa
Furphy
Aukuso
O’Donnell
Dimmock
Hughes
Maker* - overseas
Zikarsky

Reply #889773 | Report this post

Life is Basketball  
Two years ago

Well done Qld South in the Mens. Be right there again next year with 3 of the starts today lower age.

Any chance for Dodson for the camp, looked some good numbers but only saw one of those games?

Reply #889783 | Report this post

Hoops66  
Two years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the last half/quarter of each of the Boys Gold Medal game and the Bronze medal game. In particular Tassie boys put on a great show of athleticism and teamwork in the last quarter. If you missed it, well worth watching as a replay-fantastic. (And I am from WA-not Tassie.) Well done to that team and coach(es).

Reply #889785 | Report this post

Fox87  
Two years ago

Great selections, only changes Webb and Harvey out. Need another year to develop looked lost and stats back that up. Whitelaw McBean
The boys be interested in Waller and Hastings but not sure who you'd take out.

Reply #889795 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two years ago

Weedy Slug no Dodson in the squad?

Reply #889800 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yeah I bypassed the sa squads accidentally. A couple to look at, including Dodson.

Reply #889802 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I really hope they look over the Coe players performances, no one should be guaranteed a place on the n.t just because they go there.

Reply #889803 | Report this post

Jessie  
Two years ago

what has happened to wa, particularly on the girls side. country are always weak, but metro finished 10th to follow up their poor showing in the half strength 16s last year. they have some talent but have consistently underperformed

Reply #889820 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two years ago

Girls wabl comp is terribly thin. The quality of the games they play each week does nothing to prepare anyone for the level of nationals. Add not being able to leave to play anyone else and you get a bunch that haven't played highly competitive and structured games for majority of weeks played.

Reply #889829 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

I think wabl stats don't really translate to ajcs.
I’m from vic but wa have some guards that can make a difference at ajcs Imo
Fahnbulleh, fish. Also another indigenous player, can’t remember name but was elite, think she might have struggled getting to regular wabl games and was playing afl.

Reply #889830 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Talent is there, I've seen it. The development and identification though, not good.
I don’t think wa basketball do a great job with indigenous players, think it’s clear if you speak to some of the people involved with iba.

Reply #889831 | Report this post

Jessie  
Two years ago

coaching & identification definitely isn't there. wabl performances have no bearing on bwa programs. fahnbulleh was 2nd leading scorer in 18s for wabl last year but didn't make the metro team, yet missed out to a player who wasn't even in her own wabl club's best team. the talent is there, you just need to look at the number of underage nbl1 players not even in the squad. bwa are failing these kids at the moment

Reply #889838 | Report this post

Fox87  
Two years ago

With the caveat that covid has disrupted last two season (but not as much as people think).
It is clear two fundamentals need work on are 3 pt shooting and defence.

Reply #889880 | Report this post

JJ  
Two years ago

Does anyone know when the camps are and who made it?

Reply #890389 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

No camp lists out yet.
Should be out soon since the tournament is in early June.

Reply #890486 | Report this post

sec  
Two years ago

Athletes notified - Selection Camp May 2-5...

Reply #890493 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hopefully a vast improvement on last months list.

Reply #890495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754